• Announcements

• Kulstad

Insults/Name-calling will not be tolerated   11/19/2016

Tensions are high around this team and its fans.  It is very obvious that everyone here is passionate about the Flames, and has an opinion about what should be done to fix our unstable ship.  Stating your opinion is fine, it's exactly what these forums are for.   However, the name-calling and the insults are not required.   All insults/name-calling will be met with a zero-tolerance approach, regardless if you are a new person to the forums, or have been around since these forums began.   First-offenses will be met with a moderator-needs-to-approve-your-post for 3 days Second offenses will be met with a week-long suspension Third offenses will result in a perma-ban   If you have any questions regarding this policy, or would like to voice your concern about it, you are absolutely free to contact me directly.   We all love this team, and this game.  Let's continue to keep it civil around here.   --  Kulstad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjgallow

Mikael Backlund

72 posts in this topic

He did outscore Berglund on a point per game basis... but... Backlund's skillset is more suited for Europe than the tougher/bigger Berglund. Good news though, he played well over there.

I'll take it as a good omen that he played well in Europe. Perhaps it's given him more confidence and it will translate into a good season with the Flames.

Not to take anything away from what Backlund was able to do... But he was playing in a tier 2 Swedish league. So for me I would have been worried about him if he didn't put up those kind of numbers.

Not to take anything away from what Backlund was able to do... But he was playing in a tier 2 Swedish league. So for me I would have been worried about him if he didn't put up those kind of numbers.

I think your expectation are a little high. I was shocked when he put up those kind of numbers after the season he had.

Kopitar played in the same league and only put up 4 more points, but played 8 more games.

I think your expectation are a little high. I was shocked when he put up those kind of numbers after the season he had.

Kopitar played in the same league and only put up 4 more points, but played 8 more games.

Had to register to comment on this.. Kopitar was rumoured to treat his stay in sweden more like vacation than work, whereas Backlund - returning to his hometown - put his back into it. I expected Backlund to perform the way he did (and I don't think I'm the only swede who did), and had Kopitar been playing on his best he would have performed even better.

But hopefully Backlund will bring this performance to Calgary as well, nothing would make me happier than seeing him as a consistent top 6!

Unfortunately, more and more, I am thinking Backlund could turn into another promising prospect in our organisation that might not pan out. I don't think he's ever been given a fair crack, and has struggled with injuries. I really hope Hartley will recognise his skillset and he won't be buried on the 3rd line!

I fear that he could be bundled in a trade at some point to a team that puts him in the position to succeed. I am a huge Backlund fan and hope I am wrong.

Unfortunately, more and more, I am thinking Backlund could turn into another promising prospect in our organisation that might not pan out. I don't think he's ever been given a fair crack, and has struggled with injuries. I really hope Hartley will recognise his skillset and he won't be buried on the 3rd line!

I fear that he could be bundled in a trade at some point to a team that puts him in the position to succeed. I am a huge Backlund fan and hope I am wrong.

I think he is the perfect centre for Sven. Both guys have expectations to meet, so they will battle hard to meet them. You will probably see them together for a period of time and only if they are doing nothing will they be split up.

The good thing for Backlund is that he has been playing, so it won't be like last yeare; coming back after an injury without playing experience.

I find Backlund's return interview enticing, citing he has found some swagger, and to become a selfish player.

I definitely get the context, because we definitely don't have that at C. If Backlund can back that up in a #2 C role, I'm happy. Give us 30 pts if you're better than everyone else Backs, I dares ya. But he does speak exactly to what he has lacked.

1 person likes this

Well it was nice to see a hat trick from Backs today, even if it was just scrimmage. Shows he's hungry. I expect him to start the season very strong and put up good points. Hopefully he can spread it out over 48 games +.

I find Backlund's return interview enticing, citing he has found some swagger, and to become a selfish player.

I definitely get the context, because we definitely don't have that at C. If Backlund can back that up in a #2 C role, I'm happy. Give us 30 pts if you're better than everyone else Backs, I dares ya. But he does speak exactly to what he has lacked.

Do you have a link to the interview?

I agree ^^^

Take a look who is #11 on that same list...

I think he is the perfect centre for Sven. Both guys have expectations to meet, so they will battle hard to meet them. You will probably see them together for a period of time and only if they are doing nothing will they be split up.

The good thing for Backlund is that he has been playing, so it won't be like last yeare; coming back after an injury without playing experience.

Hartley commented much the same thoughts(sticking two young eager players together who have skills)just yesterday.

Do you have a link to the interview?

My link

That was painful to find as I can't remember which channel I watched it on. The clip is cut short of what I saw, but the comments I referenced are in type at the bottom of the story.

Just what I'd love to see from him!!

Backlund looked good against the Sharks, he had jump and confidence!

Looking back on my original post, I am so glad I am wrong!

Aside from maybe Tanguay, Backlund has actually looked like our best forward through 3 games! He's been everywhere, touched the puck a lot, and has 2 points in 3 games. He even seems to be taking a little bit of a leadership, I saw him on the bench tonight against the Nucks yelling at the boys!

I am stoked to have him as part of our future!

Looking back on my original post, I am so glad I am wrong!

Aside from maybe Tanguay, Backlund has actually looked like our best forward through 3 games! He's been everywhere, touched the puck a lot, and has 2 points in 3 games. He even seems to be taking a little bit of a leadership, I saw him on the bench tonight against the Nucks yelling at the boys!

I am stoked to have him as part of our future!

What?

Backlund has been easily the best forward IMO. And Tanguay was not in the running.

Also, Wideman has been the best D

Backlund has been easily the best forward IMO. And Tanguay was not in the running.

Hartley has rewarded Backlund's team leading play and effort with less ice-time than Stajan! Meritocracy! I mean, who wants to skate? That's so much work! Everyone would much rather kick back and ride the pine.

Also, Wideman has been the best D

Sure, on the other side of the centre line...

Hartley has rewarded Backlund's team leading play and effort with less ice-time than Stajan! Meritocracy! I mean, who wants to skate? That's so much work! Everyone would much rather kick back and ride the pine.

Sure, on the other side of the centre line...

Backs as been good. I agree that he's been our best forward. You really need to chill about wides though. I thought he was, and has been our best d man. He makes smart passes, and has good positioning. He also brings a phyical presence as well.

Backs as been good. I agree that he's been our best forward. You really need to chill about wides though. I thought he was, and has been our best d man. He makes smart passes, and has good positioning. He also brings a phyical presence as well.

Geo has pre conceived notions about Wideman so don't be suprised if they are all negative. I would agree Wideman has been the Flames best ALL AROUND Dman through the first fee games. Not without mistakes of course but I think he has played well.

Backlund is finally playing with the confidence he should and getting to where he needs to be. On his goal he didn't hesitate to jump down the middle and before I found he was always hesitant to make that type of move so that bodes well. Now you just hope he continues with it even if something may not go right.

Geo has pre conceived notions about Wideman so don't be suprised if they are all negative. I would agree Wideman has been the Flames best ALL AROUND Dman through the first fee games. Not without mistakes of course but I think he has played well.

Backlund is finally playing with the confidence he should and getting to where he needs to be. On his goal he didn't hesitate to jump down the middle and before I found he was always hesitant to make that type of move so that bodes well. Now you just hope he continues with it even if something may not go right.

I guess that being a big part of a team in Europe bid well for backs. He has more of a swager to his play. It looks like lost a few pounds too.

Backlund has been great so fair. Really glad that he has been given the chance to show his offensive skills.

I think it just comes to a point in a player's career where either you are a pro, or not. Being wide eyed and intimidated may happen for the first half to full NHL season or so, but there is no reason for it to continue. He was given his shot the last couple years, and out performing top notch players such as Anze Kopitar in Europe made him see the big picture.

His highlight reel goal on Luongo, when he stole the puck from Samuelsson showed he had the skill. This year shows he has stepped into bigger shoes and made the jump to pro status, and I only hope it continues.

Love Backs. Great start for the kid. You can tell he really loves to be a Flame based on his twitter account.

The guy looks much heavier than last year. Much quicker as well. He is able to use his hockey sense instead of a simple dump and chase.