Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Mikael Backlund

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Not bad...not bad at all

http://www.vik.se/in...oaengligan-1213

#2 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

He did outscore Berglund on a point per game basis... but... Backlund's skillset is more suited for Europe than the tougher/bigger Berglund. Good news though, he played well over there.

#3 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'll take it as a good omen that he played well in Europe. Perhaps it's given him more confidence and it will translate into a good season with the Flames.

#4 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

He's in mid-season form and that bodes well for us.

#5 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Not to take anything away from what Backlund was able to do... But he was playing in a tier 2 Swedish league. So for me I would have been worried about him if he didn't put up those kind of numbers.

#6 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Not to take anything away from what Backlund was able to do... But he was playing in a tier 2 Swedish league. So for me I would have been worried about him if he didn't put up those kind of numbers.

I think your expectation are a little high. I was shocked when he put up those kind of numbers after the season he had.

Kopitar played in the same league and only put up 4 more points, but played 8 more games.

#7 drunkensunset

drunkensunset

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I think your expectation are a little high. I was shocked when he put up those kind of numbers after the season he had.

Kopitar played in the same league and only put up 4 more points, but played 8 more games.

Had to register to comment on this.. Kopitar was rumoured to treat his stay in sweden more like vacation than work, whereas Backlund - returning to his hometown - put his back into it. I expected Backlund to perform the way he did (and I don't think I'm the only swede who did), and had Kopitar been playing on his best he would have performed even better.

But hopefully Backlund will bring this performance to Calgary as well, nothing would make me happier than seeing him as a consistent top 6!

#8 Kipper14

Kipper14

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Unfortunately, more and more, I am thinking Backlund could turn into another promising prospect in our organisation that might not pan out. I don't think he's ever been given a fair crack, and has struggled with injuries. I really hope Hartley will recognise his skillset and he won't be buried on the 3rd line!

I fear that he could be bundled in a trade at some point to a team that puts him in the position to succeed. I am a huge Backlund fan and hope I am wrong.

#9 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Unfortunately, more and more, I am thinking Backlund could turn into another promising prospect in our organisation that might not pan out. I don't think he's ever been given a fair crack, and has struggled with injuries. I really hope Hartley will recognise his skillset and he won't be buried on the 3rd line!

I fear that he could be bundled in a trade at some point to a team that puts him in the position to succeed. I am a huge Backlund fan and hope I am wrong.

I think he is the perfect centre for Sven. Both guys have expectations to meet, so they will battle hard to meet them. You will probably see them together for a period of time and only if they are doing nothing will they be split up.

The good thing for Backlund is that he has been playing, so it won't be like last yeare; coming back after an injury without playing experience.

#10 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I find Backlund's return interview enticing, citing he has found some swagger, and to become a selfish player.
I definitely get the context, because we definitely don't have that at C. If Backlund can back that up in a #2 C role, I'm happy. Give us 30 pts if you're better than everyone else Backs, I dares ya. But he does speak exactly to what he has lacked.

#11 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Well it was nice to see a hat trick from Backs today, even if it was just scrimmage. Shows he's hungry. I expect him to start the season very strong and put up good points. Hopefully he can spread it out over 48 games +. 😉

#12 Robindr

Robindr

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I find Backlund's return interview enticing, citing he has found some swagger, and to become a selfish player.
I definitely get the context, because we definitely don't have that at C. If Backlund can back that up in a #2 C role, I'm happy. Give us 30 pts if you're better than everyone else Backs, I dares ya. But he does speak exactly to what he has lacked.

Do you have a link to the interview?

#13 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I agree ^^^

Take a look who is #11 on that same list...

I think he is the perfect centre for Sven. Both guys have expectations to meet, so they will battle hard to meet them. You will probably see them together for a period of time and only if they are doing nothing will they be split up.

The good thing for Backlund is that he has been playing, so it won't be like last yeare; coming back after an injury without playing experience.

Hartley commented much the same thoughts(sticking two young eager players together who have skills)just yesterday.

#14 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Do you have a link to the interview?

My link

That was painful to find as I can't remember which channel I watched it on. The clip is cut short of what I saw, but the comments I referenced are in type at the bottom of the story.

Just what I'd love to see from him!!

#15 iamcdn34

iamcdn34

Work Ethic + Execution= FLAMES WIN!! NO Excuses, 60min.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Backlund looked good against the Sharks, he had jump and confidence!

#16 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

He's looked good so far. Sven and backs are great line mates .

#17 Kipper14

Kipper14

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Looking back on my original post, I am so glad I am wrong!

Aside from maybe Tanguay, Backlund has actually looked like our best forward through 3 games! He's been everywhere, touched the puck a lot, and has 2 points in 3 games. He even seems to be taking a little bit of a leadership, I saw him on the bench tonight against the Nucks yelling at the boys!

I am stoked to have him as part of our future!

#18 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Looking back on my original post, I am so glad I am wrong!

Aside from maybe Tanguay, Backlund has actually looked like our best forward through 3 games! He's been everywhere, touched the puck a lot, and has 2 points in 3 games. He even seems to be taking a little bit of a leadership, I saw him on the bench tonight against the Nucks yelling at the boys!

I am stoked to have him as part of our future!

What?

Backlund has been easily the best forward IMO. And Tanguay was not in the running.

Also, Wideman has been the best D

#19 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Backlund has been easily the best forward IMO. And Tanguay was not in the running.

Hartley has rewarded Backlund's team leading play and effort with less ice-time than Stajan! Meritocracy! I mean, who wants to skate? That's so much work! Everyone would much rather kick back and ride the pine.

Also, Wideman has been the best D

Sure, on the other side of the centre line...

#20 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hartley has rewarded Backlund's team leading play and effort with less ice-time than Stajan! Meritocracy! I mean, who wants to skate? That's so much work! Everyone would much rather kick back and ride the pine.

Sure, on the other side of the centre line...

Backs as been good. I agree that he's been our best forward. You really need to chill about wides though. I thought he was, and has been our best d man. He makes smart passes, and has good positioning. He also brings a phyical presence as well.