Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Benn And Gomez

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 Flames22

Flames22

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I know this may be a little premature, but an interesting conversation none the less.

Benn remains unsigned with the Stars, and rumor has it, the two sides are not very close. Talking with Dallas fans, they are absolutely crazy about this guy, and would want Iginla plus to pry him out of Dallas. However, if they can't reach an agreement, the asking price could fall. What do you guys think about that?

Secondly, with Gomez going to be bought out at the end of the season (not saying that we should pick him up), however, how would a team go about doing so. How much would count against the cap for the new team?

#2 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I know this may be a little premature, but an interesting conversation none the less.

Benn remains unsigned with the Stars, and rumor has it, the two sides are not very close. Talking with Dallas fans, they are absolutely crazy about this guy, and would want Iginla plus to pry him out of Dallas. However, if they can't reach an agreement, the asking price could fall. What do you guys think about that?

Secondly, with Gomez going to be bought out at the end of the season (not saying that we should pick him up), however, how would a team go about doing so. How much would count against the cap for the new team?

I don't think Dallas would be looking for Iginla + in a Benn trade. (Not bashing Iggy, fav player).

I think something like: Giordano, Backlund, 1st 2013 +

Calgary is starting to build through the draft. We are not in a position to be giving away valuable young assets... (Yes, I know Benn is 23, but he would cost the moon).

#3 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

TBH I would make/ have made an offer on Subban first. I don't even know if we have the appropriate compensation to make it happen as I am not definitive of any changes in new CBA regarding it.

He is all upside, still moldable, Allstar and franchise player. We would instantly become better and in the conversation about how deep we can go in te post season, not only now but for a few years.

I know the argument that optics are bad and it invites it to be done to our RFAs down the road, but if Feaster stays on the ball and we do well, it can be avoided.

#4 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

TBH I would make/ have made an offer on Subban first.

I think Subban is so overrated and he has an attitude problem. I don't think he will pan out to be a top pairing Dman and won't be a dressing room leader. I would avoid him like the plague.

Benn, we should covet. re-unite him with Backlund to create some Kelowna Rocket magic. It will take more than Iginla alone to get it done. Iginla is aging and pending UFA. Benn has an entire career ahead of him and he's still getting better.

In terms of Gomez, why would anybody want to touch that?

#5 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have always liked Benn. Young very talented and one of the most clutch, up and coming players. I love his compete level. You wouldn't get him cheap fromDalas but he would be worth a lot.

I have never been a Subban fan. While I don't mind some attitude I do mind cocky attitude like his. He is way over-hyped in my mind. That I think is a Montreal spotlight thing. I agree with Peoples and don't think he will ever be a top 2 D-Man. That being said he is good just not sell the farm to get him good. Sorry oldscool but I don't see him as ending up a franchise player unless he matures and gets a handle on his on-ice discipline problems .

#6 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Definitely agree with the over hype, and no arguing Benn would be a great signing. I just see them coveting Benn like we coveted a young Iggy, whereas due to cap restrictions next season Montreals hands would be tied. Not to mention our need is a physical presence on backend. Plus his offensive touch is a huge bonus and with guys like Iggy, Cammy, Gio here to reign it his over exuberance I do believe it may be a perfect fit. I think the reason I believe so many of us (myself included) have a bad taste in our mouths from a player with "cocky attitudes" is because of the Phaneuf, Erixons, Avery's and Torres' and Tom Thomas' of the world. Our core of veterans would definitely help with it. Also his enthusiasm and energyan confidence would help and has been missing from this club for a while.

I'm not saying pay more than 4.5 for four seasons but I think he could round out our group of young guys coming in quite nicely.

Then again, could be way off base.

#7 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

after Gomez is bought out, would he not just become a UFA then, and anyone could sign him for what ever they want?

Dont the RFA rules still apply to Bennand Suban? if we throw an offer sheet at them it costs us XXX? or has the time for offer sheets passed?

#8 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

after Gomez is bought out, would he not just become a UFA then, and anyone could sign him for what ever they want?

Dont the RFA rules still apply to Benn and Suban? if we throw an offer sheet at them it costs us XXX? or has the time for offer sheets passed?

It is my understanding that the compensation for signing someone elses's RFA is heavily dependant on a formula of their draft placing and contract salary.

In Benn's case:
Posted Image

He was drafted in the 5th round and does not have a huge entry level contract so I would guess his compensation would not be severe.

There are others around these forums that should be able to tell you exactly what his compensation would be.

In my mind of considering most other prospects of his age with NHL experience he is one of the most qualified to slot in as a #1 Center for us.

#9 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

The compensation was base on how much you signed the player for, I am not sure if or how this has changed with the new CBA.

Under the last CBA if Calgary signed Benn for 6.7 mil (that's the upper limit for this bracket, plus it's a number where Dallas might not match but probably will) Calgary would have to give up a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

If they went above that it would be 2 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd.

#10 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

No way he makes above 5 in the new CBA.

#11 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

#12 Kipper_3434

Kipper_3434

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

The compensation was base on how much you signed the player for, I am not sure if or how this has changed with the new CBA.

Under the last CBA if Calgary signed Benn for 6.7 mil (that's the upper limit for this bracket, plus it's a number where Dallas might not match but probably will) Calgary would have to give up a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

^^worth it

#13 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

That would be worth it though unless Calgary wants to draft a defenseman.

Also what would we do with the crap load of left wingers? Move them to RW or 4th line?? :o

#14 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

That would be worth it though unless Calgary wants to draft a defenseman.

Also what would we do with the crap load of left wingers? Move them to RW or 4th line?? :o

I don't think that would be worth it. That is the kind of thinking that Darryl Sutter used when he buried Calgary with trading away draft picks and signing long restricted contracts.

#15 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

No way in the Flames get even close to Benn without selling the farm literally to the Stars. You are talking something like Gio, Sven and a first to even get the talks going.

Gomez I would take a flyer on at 1mil or less. He will be getting buyout money so I could see him taking a low contract to prove he can still play. Most likely he ends up back with the Devils though.

#16 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

He absolutely will be making 5 mil plus. In the new CBA the stars will get their money and the rest get the scraps, and Benn is a star, IMO he is a franchise player.

I say it would take about 5.5mil over 5 to 7 years to sign him, but Dallas would match that in a heart beat. I think you would have to go to 7 mill over 7 years to get Dallas too not match it, but since he is their franchise player I woul drink they would match it still.

#17 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

now with the early buy outs allowed, would you throw a mil at gomez?

#18 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

now with the early buy outs allowed, would you throw a mil at gomez?

No! he doesnt fill any need at all. Slight chance at an upside isn't worth it.

Dipietro maybe. I wouldnt be surprised if Feaster made an offer to Redden. If Benn or Subban don't sign soon definitely one of them. Ill really really hope and am praying for Feaster extends either one of them an offer.

#19 Flames22

Flames22

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think Jamie Benn would fit in Calgary perfectly, and would be our first real first line centre in a long time. Imagine how Bear and Benn would play together!

It would cost us dearly though.

#20 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I think Jamie Benn would fit in Calgary perfectly, and would be our first real first line centre in a long time. Imagine how Bear and Benn would play together!

It would cost us dearly though.

I think it'd be worth it. 19th draft spot and lower for a Couple years to get an Allstar franchise guy? Makes us better and a playoff team for sure. Not to mention, is second/third piece to a new younger core which we can build around for next ten years....