SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Suggestion: Tim Connolly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Connolly is expected to be put on waivers today, now I don't think I would I would claim him, but if the Leafs buy him out would you offer him a one year, $1 million contract?

It's pretty much the same idea as signing Gomez.

#2 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Just read a tweet from Darren Dreger saying that the Maple Leafs are expected to place Tim Connolly on waivers today at noon. Seeing as he is a centerman with some decent upside, i figured that i would see if anyone thinks that Feaster and the Flames would have any interest in him.

Keep in mind that he scored at an average pace of 63 points per 82-game season since the 2004-05 NHL lockout. This being said, he fell to just 36 points in 70 games with the Maple Leafs last season. Keep in mind though that he WAS playing on the leafs. Something else that is interesting is the fact that Connolly’s scoring struggles were largely confined to the power play in Toronto, where he averaged less than two minutes per night on the team’s second unit. Connolly’s year-over-year even-strength scoring actually increased in 2011-12 – he went from 23 points in those situations the year before to 31 in with the Leafs. The difference on the man advantage more than off-set that – he fell from 19 points in 2010-11 to just five last season.

The facts that his contract expires at the end of this season, and that his cap hit ($4.75 million) exceeds his salary ($4.0 million) this year serves to make him a bit more attractive.

I realize that we don't really need another 2-3 line center, but a bonafide number 1 center. However, i figured this was worth a new topic.

#3 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I say yes. I am aware we have lots of options. But in absence of a clear 1C the more options you have the better chance you have. Who would have though Morrison would develop into one of Calgary's top C a couple of seasons ago? And this wouldn't be the first time the Flames saw a candidate rebound (Tanguay most recently).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Tim Connolly ($4.750m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($0.725m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Roman Cervenka ($3.775m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Blake Comeau ($1.250m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Lee Stempniak ($2.500m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
T.J. Brodie ($0.742m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Chris Butler ($1.250m) / Cory Sarich ($2.000m)
Derek Smith ($0.775m) /

GOALTENDERS

Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m)
Henrik Karlsson ($0.863m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,650,416; BONUSES: $3,531,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,080,834

I prefer that line-up to what we have. This also leaves us with depth in Stajan and Stempniak because we all know there will be injuries. If it was a multi-year contract I would be hesitant. But on a one year it is worth the risk IMO.

He is far from perfect. Lack of size. Lack of face offs. Injury prone. Limited defence. Some vague reports of attitude issues. So if they don't claim him I don't think it is the end of the world or anything.

But given where Calgary is, one more bullet in the gun is't a bad thing. If he finds chemistry on the top line he could be a very good player for us. And if he doesn't, it is only one year.

Connolly is expected to be put on waivers today, now I don't think I would I would claim him, but if the Leafs buy him out would you offer him a one year, $1 million contract?

It's pretty much the same idea as signing Gomez.

I don't think he qualifies for the accelerated Amnesty buy-out due to only having 1-year on his contract. I could be wrong though. I think Toronto is hoping he is claimed with teams like Vancouver, Phoenix, Calgary, etc all potentially needing help at C.

#4 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

- His numbers are screwed as he is fragile. His last complete season was 2002.
- He would bring up our team age, do we really want to be getting older?
- He never made it to the Leafs #1 C position so I highly doubt he would do that here.
- The #2C slot is taken by Cervenka
- What message would it send to our present bunch of centers to bring him in and compete for a 3-4 C slot?

I'd pass just because we haven't had a decent history of success with TO's good players, why would we expect or hope to score with their rejects?

But given where Calgary is, one more bullet in the gun is't a bad thing. If he finds chemistry on the top line he could be a very good player for us. And if he doesn't, it is only one year.

I would suggest he is more of a blank than another bullet. If Kessel couldn't carry him on their top line what makes you think Tangs and an aging Iggy could here?

With only 3 contracts remaining to our limit and only $3.53mil cap space I would pass on him.

#5 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I think it would be wise for the Flames to pick him up, but only if he is bought out first.

Like kehatch said above, he could be another turnaround bonus signings.

And if he can't center the top line? He's a perfect candidate for more center depth, which we are currently lacking.

I say give him a one year contract, no longer. If anything he's just another asset we could move at the deadline if we are out of playoff contention.

#6 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think it would be wise for the Flames to pick him up, but only if he is bought out first.

Like kehatch said above, he could be another turnaround bonus signings.

And if he can't center the top line? He's a perfect candidate for more center depth, which we are currently lacking.

I say give him a one year contract, no longer. If anything he's just another asset we could move at the deadline if we are out of playoff contention.

Depth??? Most of our wingers are conversions from Ctr, kind of sure depth is not the issue, rather lack of top talent in that position and...Grit, Size and FO down the Ctr, all traits he is weak in, so this is a big fat NO!

#7 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I would suggest he is more of a blank than another bullet. If Kessel couldn't carry him on their top line what makes you think Tangs and an aging Iggy could here?

With only 3 contracts remaining to our limit and only $3.53mil cap space I would pass on him.

Tanguay put up 37-points with an opportunity to play with Stamkos and St. Louis before signing a budget contract with the Flames and putting up 69-points next to Iginla.

The Flames have lots of options at C. But all are long shots to be the 1C.

Cervenka has injury issues and hasn’t played a game in the NHL. Hudler plays C but has been a third line winger in Detroit. Tanguay and Cammalleri have been wingers a majority of their long NHL careers. Stajan barely cracked the roster last season. Backlund is poised to break out but he still has to prove he can produce at the NHL level (let alone on the top line).

Any one of those guys could materialize as the Flames 1 or 2 centres. But adding a natural playmaking C who has averaged 62-points per season since the previous lockout will certainly help our chances. Last year wasn’t great but he still produced at a 0.5 PPG pace. His production was also hampered by becoming the shutdown C in Toronto to give Grabovski and Bozak the high ground. Outside of injuries he was strong in Buffalo before that.

He isn’t a smoking gun by any stretch. He is injury prone and a second rate top line C at best. But the Flames don’t have the assets to go after better options and his contract is for a single prorated season.

If he finds chemistry on the top line then fantastic. Sign him and you have an option for a few more years. If he doesn’t then so be it, cut him at the end of the season or put him in the AHL before that if he is that bad.

I think having Connolly, Cervenka, Backlund, Stajan, and Jones as natural C gives you more practical options then you have without. The competition and depth is healthy.

#8 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would pass because to me, Connolly is a top 6 or bust. At this point of his career, Connolly is just not as clear an upgrade over what we have to warrant taking a chance on him. I'd rather Horak before Connolly on the top line and i don't want Horak on the top line.

Looks like we are trying Tanguay to open the season. If that falters, maybe Cervenka, Cammalleri. Depending on how Backlund progresses, then maybe Backlund. Or even Stajan. There's a few options.

#9 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Depth??? Most of our wingers are conversions from Ctr, kind of sure depth is not the issue, rather lack of top talent in that position and...Grit, Size and FO down the Ctr, all traits he is weak in, so this is a big fat NO!

Uhh not at all. Tanguay will be centering the first line from the looks of it, Cervenka was playing wing in Europe if I'm not correct and Cammi was slated in the no.1 center spot until Tanguay took over.

Even Backs has been playing wing in Allsvenskan.

Center depth can never be taken for granted. I think most people can remember our troubles last year up the middle which eventually resulted in Stajan centering the top line.

I know Cammi and Tangs are natural centers btw

#10 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Uhh not at all. Tanguay will be centering the first line from the looks of it, Cervenka was playing wing in Europe if I'm not correct and Cammi was slated in the no.1 center spot until Tanguay took over.

Center depth can never be taken for granted. I think most people can remember our troubles last year up the middle which eventually resulted in Stajan centering the top line.

Point in case, they have been winger but are natural Ctrs...The real issues is not depth at Ctr, rather a deficiency at Ctr, we lack grit, size, FO skill and a true #1 Ctr, depth on the other hand we have in abundance.

#11 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

No thank you. I would rather have byron as a center then tim.

#12 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

You say that like it was a terrible thing, when in reality, it didn't end up too bad. Stajan really took off last year when given the chance, kinda even wish he would be given a chance this year.

#13 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Mirtle reports there are rumours the Islanders will claim Connolly.

#14 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

You say that like it was a terrible thing, when in reality, it didn't end up too bad. Stajan really took off last year when given the chance, kinda even wish he would be given a chance this year.

I actually thought Stajan performed admirably when he was moved to top pivot, I was just using it as an example because it was an unexpected move given his history in Calgary.

#15 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Tanguay put up 37-points with an opportunity to play with Stamkos and St. Louis before signing a budget contract with the Flames and putting up 69-points next to Iginla.

Maybe you forgot but Tangs was not given the chance to play with Stamkos and St Louis.

From ESPN Report:

Tanguay blamed his lack of production last season on the fact he had little ice time with top Lightning forwards Steven Stamkos, Vincent Lecavalier or Martin St. Louis.

"I just didn't get to play," Tanguay said. "I went for a while when I played two minutes a game, three minutes a game. I felt great at times, but I just didn't get to play.

That was one of the major reasons he wanted out of TB. To suggest he had that opportunity when he was there(ice time as low as a few mins) and then to compare that to his performance here is totally misleading and unfair.

Edit: I am still not fond of Connoly or Gomez and it appears we might be making a move to attempt to get Gomez..... big sigh

#16 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

That is kind of the point DD. Connelly didn't centre Kessel like you suggested. Bozak did. Connelly was stuck with Crabb and Steckel mostly. Hence the comparison to Tanguay in Montreal.

#17 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

That is kind of the point DD. Connelly didn't centre Kessel like you suggested. Bozak did. Connelly was stuck with Crabb and Steckel mostly. Hence the comparison to Tanguay in Montreal.

I don't see Connolly mentioned with Crabb and Steckel at all last year. He started the year injured, and never really returned until mid Nov. He did in fact get some ice time on the top line.

-2012/03/10: The Toronto Maple Leafs will have some new-look lines with Tim Connolly promoted to the top unit on left wing with center Tyler Bozak and right winger Phil Kessel
-2012/02/21: Tim Connolly and Clarke MacArthur also scored goals in the losing effort.
-2012/02/16: Matthew Lombardi, Jake Gardiner, and Tim Connolly accounted for Toronto's other three goals.
-2012/02/14: Tim Connolly was moved to the wing alongside Mikhail Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur

If he played with Crabb and Steckel they weren't scoring because a lot of his points were coming when playing with Lombardi, Gardiner and MacArther.

Connolly was given lots of ice time when not injured: http://forecaster.th...er-gbg.cgi?1896
He was mostly 15-19 mins/game.
Tangs claims he wasn't even getting close to that much ice time.

Your comparison still sucks just like Connolly's play. I still wouldn't want him here.

#18 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I don't see Connolly mentioned with Crabb and Steckel at all last year. He started the year injured, and never really returned until mid Nov. He did in fact get some ice time on the top line.

-2012/03/10: The Toronto Maple Leafs will have some new-look lines with Tim Connolly promoted to the top unit on left wing with center Tyler Bozak and right winger Phil Kessel
-2012/02/21: Tim Connolly and Clarke MacArthur also scored goals in the losing effort.
-2012/02/16: Matthew Lombardi, Jake Gardiner, and Tim Connolly accounted for Toronto's other three goals.
-2012/02/14: Tim Connolly was moved to the wing alongside Mikhail Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur

If he played with Crabb and Steckel they weren't scoring because a lot of his points were coming when playing with Lombardi, Gardiner and MacArther.

Connolly was given lots of ice time when not injured: http://forecaster.th...er-gbg.cgi?1896
He was mostly 15-19 mins/game.
Tangs claims he wasn't even getting close to that much ice time.

Your comparison still sucks just like Connolly's play. I still wouldn't want him here.

Go check out Dobbers if you want. It lists the line combinations. Most common ones are free. Detailed lines costs a subscription.

The fact is both players weren't given top line opportunities consistently, both players were consistent point producers before faltering in a single season with their new team, both were in a similar age bracket, and both had recent struggles with injuries. In Connellys case he was deployed in a defensive role. It's a very fair comparison. But somewhat moot now as he cleared waivers.

#19 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

He was assigned to the Marlies.