SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Leland Irving And Henrik Karlsson On Waivers?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

As per Bob Mckenzie: "CGY puts Henrik Karlsson and Irving Leland on waivers."

Ummmm, what? Who the hell is going to be our backup then?

EDIT: Apparently also placed on waivers were Byron and Carson.

#2 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Makes sense. They have to put the players on waivers today to be compliant by tomorrow. If they haven't made their decision yet then both have to be put on waivers so one can be sent down tomorrow. Putting a player on waivers doesn't mean you have to assign him to the AHL. I seriously doubt either are claimed.

#3 backlund116089

backlund116089

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Wtf is this? http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413772

#4 Flamefanintoronto

Flamefanintoronto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

just saw this. holy navajo fry bread wtf? must mean we got ramo?

#5 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,849 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I ponder on what would happen around here if both get claimed off waivers today............

#6 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I doubt either get claimed and now Calgary can send down whoever they want tomorrow. I wonder if Karlsson would get loaned overseas if he doesn't stick as the backup.

Then Calgary could sign Taylor as the 3rd string goalie.

#7 FlamesLogic

FlamesLogic

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Definately seems like a strange move as one of them was slated for backup duties. That said, lots of teams putting players on waivers today. Pitt put like 8 on waivers. Cgy just seems strange due to both backup goalies being placed.

Could be feasters way of lighting a fire and seeing which one of them kicks it up a gear to not get sent down.

#8 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm wondering about Byron, guess he is not developing as well as hoped?

#9 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Too much forward depth this year. Calgary needs some size in the bottom two lines and that's something he just isn't blessed with.

Too much forward depth this year. Calgary needs some size in the bottom two lines and that's something he just isn't blessed with.

#10 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,178 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Clearing the way for Ramo??

I doubt they would be claimed. Irving-type are dime a dozen on the AHL. Karlsson is a career back-up who can't win. If i'm not mistaken, if both clears waivers, then they don't have to go back on waivers again this season and both can be called back and forth freely as required.

#11 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

I agree with your point, this makes me wonder why some are seeking Gomez (sp?) and advocating we have no depth at Ctr, clearly we do have the depth.

I think many confuse a deficiency with depth, we have a size, grit and FO deficiency at Ctr and a lack of a true #1 Ctr, but depth we have in abundance.

#12 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Idk whats going on. Why put two on waviers ?

#13 DL44

DL44

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK.....

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Because they haven't selected which one has won the job yet.

By waiving both now, they don't have clear waivers again for a certain period of time.. i wanna say 30 days..

Gives management the ability to move either player up and down till they decide.

Either one getting picked is very unlikely... but in a case where one of them is picked up, they choice is made for them. If both are picked up, they then have the flexibility to add a FA vet. (a Johnson or Conklin type)

What's interesting is... of all the other players waived today, only 1 other player is a goalie. So if there is a team desperate in the crease, they will take a flyer. But i don't think said team exists right now.

#14 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,849 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Flames have to submit their final 23 man roster tomorrow. They can't have any players on waivers tomorrow because it takes 24 hours to process and they would count against the 23 man roster. That is why all these teams(just about every team) are putting all the players on waivers today.

As for the goalies Feaster explained that neither Karlsson or Irving has stood out over the other. He joked about maybe both being claimed but I don't think he expects both to be claimed. I would suggest he has a backup plan should both be claimed and that would likely be either Taylor or Brust.

#15 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

It makes sense what they did. Highly doubtful that one of them gets claimed unless a team has an unannounced injury.

#16 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Smart move Feaster! No ones going to claim them.
Although I do like Irving as a goalie as a person he's cockey and thinks he's too good. Brust and Taylor have proven to the Flames they can be good and are O.K with being back up some nights and starting the other.

#17 Louis23

Louis23

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Byron for a 2nd. Still makes me laugh.

#18 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Irving-type are dime a dozen on the AHL.

How many 24 year old, 1st round pick goalies are floating in the AHL, riding 3rd string to old AHL grunts? None.

Someone will take a free try with a first rounder at age 24... Irving gets claimed and Karlsson is our backup.

Byron for a 2nd. Still makes me laugh.

More than our first rounder that will walk tomorrow? Because the Heat were more focused on winning today with a bunch of old AHL grunts than developing our future prospect?

Irving should have had a chance to rebuild confidence, instead, Ward threw him in the woodchipper. Hopefully a team more dedicated to prospect development picks him up and he can make something of an NHL career.

Byron didn't turn out, but it was a gamble that needed to be taken. Only a select percentage of prospects will develop, you need a big pool to ensure you're on the winning end of the odds. Irving on the other hand was a failure of management/coaching.

#19 Louis23

Louis23

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

How many 24 year old, 1st round pick goalies are floating in the AHL, riding 3rd string to old AHL grunts? None.

Someone will take a free try with a first rounder at age 24... Irving gets claimed and Karlsson is our backup.

More than our first rounder that will walk tomorrow? Because the Heat were more focused on winning today with a bunch of old AHL grunts than developing our future prospect?

Irving should have had a chance to rebuild confidence, instead, Ward threw him in the woodchipper. Hopefully a team more dedicated to prospect development picks him up and he can make something of an NHL career.

Byron didn't turn out, but it was a gamble that needed to be taken. Only a select percentage of prospects will develop, you need a big pool to ensure you're on the winning end of the odds. Irving on the other hand was a failure of management/coaching.

I agree on Irving. Why the well done steak did they bring Brust/Taylot when they knew Irving would be in the minors anyways? I still don't get it. And the fact he was made 3rd goalie right away... that's beyond me. I said it before, ONLY Calgary would have their NHL back-up be playing as the 3rd goalie in their farm. This doesn't many ANY sense.

#20 andymo

andymo

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I agree on Irving. Why the well done steak did they bring Brust/Taylot when they knew Irving would be in the minors anyways? I still don't get it. And the fact he was made 3rd goalie right away... that's beyond me. I said it before, ONLY Calgary would have their NHL back-up be playing as the 3rd goalie in their farm. This doesn't many ANY sense.

I cannot believe Irving can be being considered as Flames backup the way he has played this year. I would love to see Taylor get a call up. He is still only 26 and has really earned a shot. Irving would go back to Abby and share his duties with Brust and hopefully find some form. We still have a few spare contracts so it's doable. Very surprised neither Taylor or Brust got an invite. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Feaster try to acquire a goalie in the next few days...