Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Expectations 2013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Expectations 2013 (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following best represents your expectations of the Calgary Flames this season?

1. Win The Stanley Cup (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

2. A Top Team In The Conference (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. A Mid-Seed Playoff Team (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

4. A Low-Seed Playoff Team (11 votes [29.73%])

Percentage of vote: 29.73%

5. Close To Making The Playoffs (6 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

6. One Of Worse Teams In Conference (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

This is not about what you "predict" will happen but rather what you "expect" will happen. What do you demand, or would be satisfied with, as a product from the team you cheer for? What measurable results are you seeking?

The 2013 Calgary Flames are a "capped team" with the fifth highest cap hit for 2013, according to capgeek http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/. This franchise has missed the playoffs for 3 consecutive seasons and have made a significant change with their coaching staff.

So given that, what are your expectations from this season's edition of the Calgary Flames?

#2 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

This is not about what you "predict" will happen but rather what you "expect" will happen. What do you demand, or would be satisfied with, as a product from the team you cheer for? What measurable results are you seeking?

The 2013 Calgary Flames are a "capped team" with the fifth highest cap hit for 2013, according to capgeek http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/. This franchise has missed the playoffs for 3 consecutive seasons and have made a significant change with their coaching staff.

So given that, what are your expectations from this season's edition of the Calgary Flames?

Optimism is contageous. It's all or nothing. Stanley Cup for sure. :D

#3 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Optimism is contageous. It's all or nothing. Stanley Cup for sure. :D

You seriously expect the Calgary Flames to win the Cup this season?

#4 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I expect Baer to get Calder considerations, Kipper to get Vezina considerations and to make second round. I also expect Cammy and Iggy and Glenny to all get 20 goals if they stay healthy

#5 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Repeating some of what I mentioned in another thread.

The Flames did address last years biggest weakness. Goals scored dropped by almost 50 from the previous year.

If we win 50% of our shootouts and our PP improves that should be enough to make the difference and make the playoffs. It would have been enough last season.

My concern right now is Cervenka and his health. If this drags on in a shortened season it could be a big difference maker in our placement in the standings. If he doesn't perform like we think it won't make a lot of difference.

In summary I think we made enough changes and adjustments(including the coaching and style of play) to slot us a couple of points above all those on the bubble or just out of a playoff teams.

I am also thinking a few other teams made good improvements too. Minny, St Louis(finally coming together) and Anaheim should under their new coach do better. While that may take a few more points from Calgary they should also take a few from the other teams in our conference too.

#6 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

The Flames did address last years biggest weakness. Goals scored dropped by almost 50 from the previous year.

If we win 50% of our shootouts and our PP improves that should be enough to make the difference and make the playoffs. It would have been enough last season.

My concern right now is Cervenka and his health. If this drags on in a shortened season it could be a big difference maker in our placement in the standings. If he doesn't perform like we think it won't make a lot of difference.

In summary I think we made enough changes and adjustments(including the coaching and style of play) to slot us a couple of points above all those on the bubble or just out of a playoff teams.

I am also thinking a few other teams made good improvements too. Minny, St Louis(finally coming together) and Anaheim should under their new coach do better. While that may take a few more points from Calgary they should also take a few from the other teams in our conference too.

A .500 record from backups or ability to win shoot outs also means playoffs last year too. Both issues addressed, ( backup will not play much, and Hudler and Cervenka are supposed to be shootout guys)

#7 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

A .500 record from backups or ability to win shoot outs also means playoffs last year too. Both issues addressed, ( backup will not play much, and Hudler and Cervenka are supposed to be shootout guys)

#8 Kipper14

Kipper14

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

You have to call a spade a spade, I think the expectation for this team is simply to make the playoffs....obviously from there anything can happen, like who expected LA to dispatch Van in 5 last year and go on a relatively easy run to the Cup?

If we can watch Flames playoff hockey this year I will be thrilled!

#9 Invin

Invin

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I voted low-seed playoff team. I think that's a reasonable expectation given how close we've been and what I feel are significant improvements in the off season. And, once you make the playoffs, anything can happen!

#10 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Expectations?

A much more fun to watch and entertaining team.

More energy.

More scoring.

More games in April and May.

#11 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Expectations?

A much more fun to watch and entertaining team.

More energy.

More scoring.

More games in April and May.

This was it for me until playoffs because I can't see them gettin there so I don't "expect" it. All I expect is a team I'm actually going to want to go watch because win or lose there is excitement and energy in the team and building and they actual play like the give a darn.

#12 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

You seriously expect the Calgary Flames to win the Cup this season?

I think the title of this thread is a little bogus, hence my post.

No team should really have expectations in this shortened season. Anything can happen. Every team has their season highs and lows, and the timeline for the season doesn't allow much room for error. For all we know the Pens tank, and the Blue Jackets make it to the finals.

Predictions are very different from expectations. My only expectation is that the Flames play like they mean it.

#13 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I think the title of this thread is a little bogus, hence my post.

No team should really have expectations in this shortened season. Anything can happen. Every team has their season highs and lows, and the timeline for the season doesn't allow much room for error. For all we know the Pens tank, and the Blue Jackets make it to the finals.

Predictions are very different from expectations. My only expectation is that the Flames play like they mean it.

Agree with every word, half the guys are in midseason form and half aren't from most teams.
Impossible to gauge from a week of camp, outside of assuming some sloppy play.

#14 cmpdave

cmpdave

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I expect to not finish in "no mans land" 9th to 13th just bad enough to not make the playoffs, and just good enough to not be in the lottery

#15 cmpdave

cmpdave

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I expect to not finish in "no mans land" 9th to 13th just bad enough to not make the playoffs, and just good enough to not be in the lottery

#16 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'm confused. Where does this land us in your mind then? So many double negatives happening, I can't keep track.

#17 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

By the way, "no mans land" does not exist this year. If you don't make the playoffs you are in the lottery pool.

#18 Davis1891

Davis1891

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

The only thing I expect is to see and hear is a loud-&$@ saddledome, cheering our boys on because they're actually playing like they want to win.

#19 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I expect a low seed playoff team as well.

Kipper is used to playing so many games that only playing 48 will be a light load for him (even in a compressed time period).

We're used to not having a #1 center so in this case we'll mostly be playing a 3 winger line rather then a 2-4 center on the top lines.

I'm hoping Hartley's system stresses to all players (D included) that we need to score by committee as we don't have the guns for anything else. Knowing they won't get benched for jumping into the play will make the players more adventurous.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are obviously "ifs" in my expectation but they are no more outrageous then relying on a mass of out of position forwards.

#20 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Though it is Eklund he is still a hockey fan but why??!!! Why does everyone think we suck!!? We have additions of Baertschi,Hudler,Irving,Cervenka,Wideman and alot of talent in the AHl!
http://www.hockeybuz...94#.UPtn8e-9Kc0

Look what he says for the Avs...Ridiculos!! Parentua is gonna make them a better team!!!!?