SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Smith Over Brodie?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Louis23

Louis23

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Smith over Brodie? I'm totally against the idea of first, playing Smith over Brodie (even Sarich or Butler while I'm at it), second, having Brodie here to sit him out. He should be playing top minutes in the AHL or playing here, nothing else. I don't know if he had a good or bad camp, but he IMO made a spot into the regulars by his play last year. The fact that he's actually one of the only flames d-man to have played this year, and he played well in Abby, should have been an advantage.

Thoughts?

#2 andymo

andymo

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Totally agree. I was pretty impressed with Smith before his injury but he wasn't the same player when he came back. Even so, I would take Brodie over an in-form Smith every time, as well as Sarich or Butler, as you say. When you factor in that Brodie has been playing regular big minutes at pro level throughout the season so should be the most prepared, it is pretty baffling if confirmed. I definitely think he has earned a regular spot and will be very disappointed if he is not a regular on the line up this year.

#3 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I agree that Brodie should be in over Smith (Sarich's size and physicality will be needed in this one).

But in fairness to Smith - he had a very good camp and has earned his spot

#4 bosn111

bosn111

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I posted on the main site on projected lines about this but I will put in a basic rehash here.

Brodie is listed as about 15 lbs lighter than Smith. He is also 4 years or more younger than either Smith or Butler.He simply has not developed the same physically yet. Against a team as big and strong as San Jose, the added size of Butler and Smith will be very helpful. As for the Offensive numbers between Smith and Brodie last season, they were nearly identical if taken over the same number of games.

Likely the reason Smith is in over Brodie is simply size. Against other teams, it is very likely you would see Brodie over Smith. Just my thoughts.

#5 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Brodie will get his ice time and he has put in some of his dues. He is still a rookie however. If Smith plays like the Smith that started last season then I am fine with it, if he plays like the Smith after his injury then ...meh

I'll let the coach make those decisions, and just like Butter he will have to face the fans because of his decisions.

Steve B├ęgin is centering the 4th line too, that is a small surprise to me too.

#6 Louis23

Louis23

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I posted on the main site on projected lines about this but I will put in a basic rehash here.

Brodie is listed as about 15 lbs lighter than Smith. He is also 4 years or more younger than either Smith or Butler.He simply has not developed the same physically yet. Against a team as big and strong as San Jose, the added size of Butler and Smith will be very helpful. As for the Offensive numbers between Smith and Brodie last season, they were nearly identical if taken over the same number of games.

Likely the reason Smith is in over Brodie is simply size. Against other teams, it is very likely you would see Brodie over Smith. Just my thoughts.

I don't see how a 15 lbs advtange and 4 years older makes you a better player. That's not an argument at all. Besides, Brodie has played a total of 57 games in the NHL VS 58 for Smith. He doesn't have more NHL experience. Well, I just don't buy into that ''bigger and experienced players are better players''. Brodie has so much more upsides than Smith.

#7 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I don't see how a 15 lbs advtange and 4 years older makes you a better player. That's not an argument at all. Besides, Brodie has played a total of 57 games in the NHL VS 58 for Smith. He doesn't have more NHL experience. Well, I just don't buy into that ''bigger and experienced players are better players''. Brodie has so much more upsides than Smith.

It's one game.

#8 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I agree, its unfortunate that the roster is built that way but I agree there are going to be certain teams you need extra size against. Really unfortunate for Brodie and I think overal his upsdie should trump the size idea, but I understand the decision from Hartley's perspective, he has to work within the roster he is given.

#9 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

For one game I couldn't care less. If this becomes a trend I don't like it. Prefer they play him. But if not get him back to Abbotsford.

#10 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Against the SHARKS, I have no issue playing Smith over Brodie. They average 15 pounds more than us, so every big D we have should suit up. From what I saw last year, Smith is tough, so he is fine.

This is one team that Sarich HAS to play against. Think about Ryan Clowe against the boards; I want Sarge or Wideman or Gio or Smith going in there.

As for Butler, I think he deserves to play after meeting expectations last year. He may not have been a top-2 D, but he was played over his capabilities. He should be fine as a shut-down type on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

#11 swtrooper

swtrooper

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Brodie should be in over Smith in my opinion. Smith let the puck get by him way too much in tonights game. I would rather see Brodie playing in the A rather than being sat waiting his turn.

#12 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Brodie should go back in tomorrow night and then we'll see from then. Smith was pretty sub par tonight.

#13 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

From the Heat games I watched this year, Brodie was good but he is still very careless with the puck. I seen him turn it over far too much. This goes against the idea of the Flames being a puck possession team this year.

With Calgary playing 48 games in 97 days it would not surprise me if Calgary carries 8 defensemen this year. There will be players moving in and out of the lineup especially on the 3rd pairing. To keep players fresh with so many back to backs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brodie in tomorrow night and Smith sitting.

#14 iamcdn34

iamcdn34

Work Ethic + Execution= FLAMES WIN!! NO Excuses, 60min.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

With a week to get ready as a team, there will probably be a lot if in and outs on the back end for awhile! I do hope they keep the forward lines a constant for 2-3 weeks, so they can get used to each other. At this point line juggling would be detrimental to a quick growth as a team?