Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Flames Go Nowhere Without A First Line Centre......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 ddboy

ddboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Calgary Flames fans......dont get to excited about the upcoming season......

Sure .....we have a new positive, enthusiastic coach....and a couple free agent signings.....

So.......what!!

Until we get a top flight centre, or two!!.......it will be more of the same....No playoffs....

Horak?...Stajan?.....Backlund....? Byron?......Jones?......

These are not the names of players who can compete with the top centres of the Western conference....

We have decent wingers, defense, and of course Kipper.....

but like Philly never seeming to cure their goaltending woes....

the same can be said of Calgary...and their deficit up the middle.

Oh....to see the days of ....OTTO, ....NIEUWENDYK,....GILMOUR..... AGAIN........1

#2 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Useless posts are useless. Definitely needs some work at his trolling.

If you want to see OTTO, NIEUWENDYK, GILMOUR... AGAIN, go check out the old timers tourney at the corral.

#3 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Until we get a top flight centre, or two!!.......it will be more of the same....

Que the cliches:

Well why don't you just waltz on down to to closest 7-11 and get us a couple #1 centers??

#1 Centers don't just grow on tree you know??

Where have you been the last decade+?? This isn't anything we didn't already know. A lot of posters have been saying we need a #1 center for years now.

Not like they haven't tried. Maybe you missed the huge offer to Brad Richards??

Thanks for your enlightenment. How could everyone have missed that?

#4 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

This guy and conner could make one heck of a GM combo!

#5 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Que the cliches:

Well why don't you just waltz on down to to closest 7-11 and get us a couple #1 centers??

#1 Centers don't just grow on tree you know??

Where have you been the last decade+?? This isn't anything we didn't already know. A lot of posters have been saying we need a #1 center for years now.

Not like they haven't tried. Maybe you missed the huge offer to Brad Richards??

I think the point he is trying to make is there have been other options and we did not jump at them. As of late the Benn suggestion but could cost us 4 1st rounders in compensation which many fans shy from. Givging our hard luck at Ctr I'd say it is worth it for Benn.

However,

One can't fault the flames Mgt on not going after an option like Benn, why? Well we have gambled in the past and have been burned remember the first Oli go round, not good and left us in a bad way with salary cap jail.

So what's the right move here for us, well hard to say but you are right, top flight Ctrs don't grow on trees and the ones out there are locked in so our options are very limited and the return could blow up in our face. Glad I'm not in Feaster's shoes right now as what happens over the shortened season and how he plays out things at the trade deadline will have a direct impact on his current employment I imagine.

#6 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I agree we need a 1C. But they are difficult to acquire. Especially when the Flames won't trade their best players (Iginla, Kipper, Gio, etc) and they won't trade high end prospects or 1-round picks. We threw money at Richards and probably will at Getzlaf if he is a free agent. But even if all things are equal we are one of many teams making the attempt. And things aren't equal, we haven't been a playoff team, are in the West, and aren't in a big exciting market.

At this point we just need to keep throwing Hail Mary's. I think Feaster made an attempt at Turris last season (and if not he should have). Cervenka is a good gamble. I am all for taking a shot at a cheap contract on Gomez (no longer available). The best we can hope for is to score on a gamble like with did with Kipper.

One thing is for sure though, most fans are going to remain disappointed. Most people HATE the gambles has beens or never have beens. And when names like Carter, Krejci, Stastny, and Benn are thrown around the usual comment is "they aren't a 1C". These guys are likely not attainable for the Flames, but if they were they would be by FAR the best chance we have of acquiring a 1C outside the draft.

#7 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I agree we need a 1C. But they are difficult to acquire. Especially when the Flames won't trade their best players (Iginla, Kipper, Gio, etc) and they won't trade high end prospects or 1-round picks. We threw money at Richards and probably will at Getzlaf if he is a free agent. But even if all things are equal we are one of many teams making the attempt. And things aren't equal, we haven't been a playoff team, are in the West, and aren't in a big exciting market.

At this point we just need to keep throwing Hail Mary's. I think Feaster made an attempt at Turris last season (and if not he should have). Cervenka is a good gamble.

I agree with this. Cervenka knows that he's a #1 centre on this team. That's why he chose to sign with the flames. He's been dying to play, so hopefully he'll play hard

#8 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think they've taken decent steps with Jankowski, who is holding his own in US College hockey despite never having played junior. They have other centers developing as well. Someone will surprise.

My only reason for resentment this year is the strike...I'm very happy with their direction. A little patience is in order.

meanwhile...Backlund just scored as I write this

#9 bronco73

bronco73

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think they've taken decent steps with Jankowski, who is holding his own in US College hockey despite never having played junior. They have other centers developing as well. Someone will surprise.

My only reason for resentment this year is the strike...I'm very happy with their direction. A little patience is in order.

meanwhile...Backlund just scored as I write this

I think the OP's point was that he feels they need a #1 center now, rather than when Jankowski is ready, and I think he has a point. Joker seemed to me to have everything CGY needed in a #1 center, but it just didn't work out in Calgary as well as hoped, although it's my opinion that he did better than most give him credit for. But really, him being gone has left a bit of a hole at C. Cervenka should fit the bill, but I wonder, does anybody know if Hudler has ever been tried at center?

#10 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

It's only been 3 games, but so far Backlund has been better than Jokinen was.

And Stajan has been surprisingly solid as a 3rd line C

If Cervenka fills in to the top 6, that should settle things down

#11 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

If Cervenka fills in to the top 6, that should settle things down

It really just is a big question mark isn't it? Cervenka sure does have great highlights, but his adjustment to the NHL still remains to be seen. If the hole in our top center position is Roman Cervenka shaped, then Feaster will look like a genius and this years lineup will certainly be that much closer to completion.

The same can be said for Hudler and his contribution to the wing and to the shootout.

#12 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Stajan is the top centre on the team, he has 17% more ice time than Backs. I agree with you in performance, but Backlund hasn't played much at all. Funny because when you think back to the first three games, the majority of great offensive zone and defensive zone play that comes to mind involved Backlund, but he's only playing 14:30 a night (less in Vancouver).

I 100% agree with you, but when you look at the stats, you'd be surprised who is playing what ice time.

#13 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Stajan is the top centre on the team, he has 17% more ice time than Backs. I agree with you in performance, but Backlund hasn't played much at all. Funny because when you think back to the first three games, the majority of great offensive zone and defensive zone play that comes to mind involved Backlund, but he's only playing 14:30 a night (less in Vancouver).

I 100% agree with you, but when you look at the stats, you'd be surprised who is playing what ice time.

The ice time is kind of shocking, in that Backlund hasn't been playing much. Having said this, Stajan has been impressing me. He has been extremely responsible defensively and is an even +/- at the moment. I just really don't know where he will fit in the lineup when cervenka and hudler step in. It will be very interesting to see.

#14 iamcdn34

iamcdn34

Work Ethic + Execution= FLAMES WIN!! NO Excuses, 60min.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I strongly believe Backs will pan out with a little patience as a number two C, a number one ?? He is still very young and still adjusting to the North American game! He has the tools, as he fills out with a little age he will get stronger on the puck and his confidence should continue to grow!!

A lot of Flames fans are desperate for instant results in players these days and as a result the media pressure is very high on the players and organization! During the second intermission, listening to the the SNP cast talk about the Flames and how they have messed up with not trading the two three stars the Flames have for younger stars, and that the rebuild should have happened two three years ago?? I just think people over Analise the situation in Calgary! I think there is a good mix of youth and veteran players in Calgary!

Without number one draft picks it is very hard to do a rebuild IMO? Sure you can trade your stars for those picks.......maybe, but what are you left with on the ice for the now? This day and age is all about revenue and the product on the ice.....period. You don't have a competitive product on the ice and revenue will drop for the team......... then things become even more difficult!

Back to Backlund, I see a big improvement in his confidence and drive as apposed to last year and will only help his game improve!

#15 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

So he has more icetime - that doesn't mean he's been the better player.

Bouwmeester led the team in TOI the last three years, does that mean he was the top performer?

#16 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

So he has more icetime - that doesn't mean he's been the better player.

Bouwmeester led the team in TOI the last three years, does that mean he was the top performer?

With Stajan too, i think people need to remember that he is really the only good defensive center the Flames have. I think Backlund and Tanguay have both been good to start the year offensively (save for Tanguay's turnover) but in the other two zones I think they both have struggled but I have liked Stajan's defensive game this year. Yes you have to score goals to win but you also have to stop them and I think part of the reason you see STajan's ice time up there is becuase of that, Hartley can trust his abilty to backcheck and be solid in his own zone and his other centers are not there right now and that's a big problem for a coach.

I know Hartley's taking the heat here but I think he's trying to work with what he has and I think what he has is a bit of a patchwork job.

#17 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

With Stajan too, i think people need to remember that he is really the only good defensive center the Flames have. I think Backlund and Tanguay have both been good to start the year offensively (save for Tanguay's turnover) but in the other two zones I think they both have struggled but I have liked Stajan's defensive game this year. Yes you have to score goals to win but you also have to stop them and I think part of the reason you see STajan's ice time up there is becuase of that, Hartley can trust his abilty to backcheck and be solid in his own zone and his other centers are not there right now and that's a big problem for a coach.

I know Hartley's taking the heat here but I think he's trying to work with what he has and I think what he has is a bit of a patchwork job.

I tend to agree about Stajan.

Stajan has earned the right to center Cervenka and Hudler and I am hoping to see some good things from that line tonight. While there may be a few flubs from them while they learn each others tendencies I am thinking they will be a dangerous line combo.

#18 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think the OP's point was that he feels they need a #1 center now, rather than when Jankowski is ready, and I think he has a point. Joker seemed to me to have everything CGY needed in a #1 center, but it just didn't work out in Calgary as well as hoped, although it's my opinion that he did better than most give him credit for. But really, him being gone has left a bit of a hole at C. Cervenka should fit the bill, but I wonder, does anybody know if Hudler has ever been tried at center?

And I repeat....look at Backlund...now he's scored another goal already tonight.

I'm not saying that Backlund is, or will be, a number-one center.

I'm saying that we are headed in the right direction with centers and we should continue to develop Backlund, Granlund, Jankowski, and others. One of them may surprise us all. But they won't if they don't get any ice time. I don't want a bandaid, I want a decade.

#19 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Backlund is right on pace, if not slightly ahead, of Kessler's development pace at his age. Two way centres take time to develop. He needed a bit of confidence, that's all. If he scores 30 points this year, which he's more than on pace for already, all will be fine.

#20 CastleMania

CastleMania

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I just want to point out that while this team doesn't have a true number one center, it has some of the most depth at center in the entire league. Potential centers include (I'll miss some, so help me out):

Backlund
Cervenka
Hudler
Cammy
Jones
Stajan

Then consider the fact that you have both Tanguay and Iginla who are more than proficient at taking a draw. We may not have a number one center, but we have the second best thing.