87 replies to this topic

#1 Sweendog

Sweendog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Flames need to look in to this. Niederreiter wants a trade from the islanders since hes been demoted to the AHL. he has struggled in the big league but is still an interesting prospect. Nino on a line with Backlund and Baertschi could be awesome.

#2 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationInside enemy lines.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Flames need to look in to this. Niederreiter wants a trade from the islanders since hes been demoted to the AHL. he has struggled in the big league but is still an interesting prospect. Nino on a line with Backlund and Baertschi could be awesome.

Source? Or your rumor?

#3 Sweendog

Sweendog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

http://sports.yahoo....46056--nhl.html

http://blogs.thescor...york-islanders/

#4 Kulstad

Kulstad

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationThat pet cemetery down the street

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Source? Or your rumor?

http://bit.ly/WlfhHc

#5 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nino-niederreiter-requests-trade-another-sacramento-la-kings-204346056--nhl.html

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/01/22/nino-niederreiter-has-requested-a-trade-from-the-new-york-islanders/

Interesting.

I think the BBC line would be called the BBN line if this were to happen. He and Sven had some chemistry before.

#6 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

http://bit.ly/WlfhHc

Generally it's polite to include a source with a "Rumor" thread. Thanks though.

#7 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

That 1 goal and -29 plus minus in 55 games raises huge flags for me.

#8 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 10,675 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

He got concussed by Mark Fistric and has never been the same again.

The Flames should not look into this.

#9 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

He got concussed by Mark Fistric and has never been the same again.

The Flames should not look into this.

He has recovered since his concussion. He is doing very well in the AHL. (19G 17A in 39games) I've caught three games of his this year, and he's a real gem. I think the Flames should look into this. It would give us a genuine blue chipper at the RW position.

That 1 goal and -29 plus minus in 55 games raises huge flags for me.

Fair enough, but he was playing "pretty much" all 4th line minutes. Putting a 18/19? year old scoring winger on the checking line of one of the worst teams in the NHL is a bit unfair... (in terms of development and accurate judgement of player)...

I see Nino becoming a 25 - 30 goalscorer in this league. Coming into a new environment might be a recipe for success! (Having his friend Baertschi here would help the transition too.)

#10 amstervan

amstervan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Havent been able to watch any games yet but have read the Gdts and im heraing alot of " we need youth and less veterans" from people watching the games. Well heres a perfect opportunity. The only question is who do we send the the other way. I would prefer if draft picks were not involved. I would start with Byron and add on from there...... any thoughts?

#11 andymo

andymo

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Havent been able to watch any games yet but have read the Gdts and im heraing alot of " we need youth and less veterans" from people watching the games. Well heres a perfect opportunity. The only question is who do we send the the other way. I would prefer if draft picks were not involved. I would start with Byron and add on from there...... any thoughts?

Byron's trade value is minimal. Although Nino had a nightmare rookie season at NHL level, he is a 5th overall pick, he is Islanders' property and they're under no pressure to dump him. It will take a substantial return to get Neiderreiter. They would probably looking at something in the region of Horak and a first or Brodie and a 2nd or possibly more. The Turris saga showed how a struggling young player with great potential can retain trade value despite underperforming at one club, and Phoenix were more desperate to make a trade. Unless I am way out on my valuation (which isn't unlikey) I can't see the value from our point of view.

#12 amstervan

amstervan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I agree Byrons trade value is minimal but was merely suggested as a starting point... as much as i like Horak i think i would be willing to see him go. Nino is bigger,which we need, and i think more of a natural talent. Anyways ill leave it to Feaster to find the pieces to make it happen and i think he should... but like i said before... dont think we can afford to give up anymore draft picks. I vote YES to Nino...

#13 amstervan

amstervan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

After further thought i take back my thoughts on Horak... we should keep him and continue our youth movement.... IF we decide to go after Nino we should only offer vets and Byron... Stempniak, Stajan, Jones, Babchuk etc.... no point otherwise however im pretty sure im waaaaaay over thinking this... would just like see some added young talent. Putting the pipe down now:-)....

#14 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,780 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I disagree with those saying to stay away. I would take a look. But buyer beware. Only at a reduced price. If you are talking about a Turris type return no way. But if the Islanders are willing to take a troubled prospect or two from us in return then I am listening.

But my guess is they want more for him then he is worth.

#15 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Just because of his current sample size etc, I think horak and a second is probably the absolute max I would go.

IF you want to talk older players, a stephniak, etc type I would do, but i would certainly not trade anyone in our top six for him, and since their is a very real chance out pick is top 5-10, I would not be willing to toss our first in. Remember, he is not going to help us this year.

I don't think that gets it done, since I do not think that is "fair value" for him, especially from the Isles perspective, poor first year and trade demand or not.

#16 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,913 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

All depends on price. I'd look into it for sure but if they are asking for anything more than a b level prospect as a 2nd round pick if pass. I've never been a huge NiƱo fan but he's worth trying to pick up for reasonable value. Problem though is he will probably want to play in the NHL and I don't think he gets that chance here.

#17 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

I disagree with those saying to stay away. I would take a look. But buyer beware. Only at a reduced price. If you are talking about a Turris type return no way. But if the Islanders are willing to take a troubled prospect or two from us in return then I am listening.

But my guess is they want more for him then he is worth.

I doubt it, especially if he's asking to be dealt. They won't get much now. Turris at least had some NHL success after all, not a lot, but more than El Nino. I think the Islanders know it's not going to work out there for him.

I'd be happy to move a surplus defender for him. We've got too many d-men hanging out. I'd be thrilled to see Butler moved, but that may actually be a bit of an overpayment. Not sure. The Islanders could use some d-men though, and we have a lot of second tier guys (Butler, Babchuk, Smith, Carson).

I also wouldn't have minded an Irving/Nino swap before Karlsson was traded. Both struggling first rounders.

#18 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I doubt it, especially if he's asking to be dealt. They won't get much now. Turris at least had some NHL success after all, not a lot, but more than El Nino. I think the Islanders know it's not going to work out there for him.

I'd be happy to move a surplus defender for him. We've got too many d-men hanging out. I'd be thrilled to see Butler moved, but that may actually be a bit of an overpayment. Not sure. The Islanders could use some d-men though, and we have a lot of second tier guys (Butler, Babchuk, Smith, Carson).

I also wouldn't have minded an Irving/Nino swap before Karlsson was traded. Both struggling first rounders.

Babchuk for Nino - I have read he was kept up and played on the 4th line cause they needed his salary to meet the min cap, so sending Babchuk may work ... though that NTC may through a wrench into that

#19 LaFlamaBlanca13

LaFlamaBlanca13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMontana, USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Babchuk for Nino - I have read he was kept up and played on the 4th line cause they needed his salary to meet the min cap, so sending Babchuk may work ... though that NTC may through a wrench into that

I would even be willing to take a chance and send them babchuk or butler, carson with a return of nino and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick... or does anyone think that would get the job done? I personally would not mind taking a chance on a guy like nino, he and the baer have a connection and it would give us a RW with future potential to be a first replacement for iggy someday. Nothing great has ever been accomplished without a little risk involved...

#20 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,913 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I would even be willing to take a chance and send them babchuk or butler, carson with a return of nino and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick... or does anyone think that would get the job done? I personally would not mind taking a chance on a guy like nino, he and the baer have a connection and it would give us a RW with future potential to be a first replacement for iggy someday. Nothing great has ever been accomplished without a little risk involved...

No that doesn't get it done. We all need to remember we are talking about a guy not far removed from being the 5th overal pick. Progress or no progress he is worth more than a 7th NHL Dman like babchuk. Butler straight up I would say is an overpayment IMO but probably closer to value. I don't think they let him go unless they get a future piece or someone who can legitimately help them now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users