Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit

Photo

Luongo's Mystery Suitor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 andymo

andymo

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait,” Mike Gillis

This quote is from a few days ago. It rings a few alarm bells with me. Calgary are in a tricky posistion with goaltending. We have built everything around having a top goalie since Kipper was on the scene and as he gets older, there will be some concern with no obvious successor. We have a very strange situation with backup goalies with Irving, on current form, inadequate for the role. Kipper has had two bad games but if that turns into 6 or 8 bad games there has to be a contingency. Feaster has to be looking at a goalie and he won't watch us drift too far from the playoff picture without making changes. Calgary are not afraid to throw big dollars at a player long term to secure him even if there are risks involved. And as some people have speculated elsewhere, Karlsson's apparently minor move could be making way for a bigger one.

I am certainly not convinced that we are the Luongo's mystery suitor, but there is enough there to concern me. Please guys, reassure me. Make me see sense...

#2 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

It's just Gillis stirring the pot in an attempt to get a better return and perhaps speed up a trade... He sees more value in Lou than his potential trading partners do, and his expectations for players coming back have been too high...

Also, I don't see Gillis trading Luongo within the same division, unless Edmonton went overboard with young talent for a trade, and I don't see them doing that either...

There is not going to be a trade that brings Lou to Calgary...

#3 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Luongo isn't coming to Calgary to run backup to a guy that plays 95% of games. And Calgary isn't going out and acquiring a goalie at 34 years old to replace a goalie at 36 years old.

If it's not Florida or Toronto, I'd guess Chicago.

#4 siliconscout

siliconscout

Champion of the Big Hit.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I dunno there is something to it as an option, at least as far as the danger of any trade in your division. I mean Kipper is a solid replacement for them with short term left and we are pretty far away from being a powerhouse. Having Lou in net is a wash for us so they really aren't making us better.

The real problem is that there is no reason for US to want to do that unless they are tossing additional talent our way.

For us Lou has minimal trade value, taking him is doing Van a favour, not us, so for that reason I don't think it will happen. Sure we would do a Lou Kesler and a 3rd for Kipper, J-bo and a 2nd trade but there is no way Vancouver does it.

#5 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait,” Mike Gillis

A wild guess from way out in left field.

Luongo to NYI who originally drafted him.
Isles buy out DiPietro under the amnesty before he's injured again.
The other player they have could be Nino Niederreiter who wants out of Long Island.

:lol:

#6 jefsmi

jefsmi

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Tampa makes sense, have a couple young players to trade without changing their team and Lou could get them deep in playoffs.

#7 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Tampa makes sense, have a couple young players to trade without changing their team and Lou could get them deep in playoffs.

Tampa makes a lot of sense. It's close enough to Miami where i believe his wife is from so she'll be happy.

Not sure what the pieces going the other way will be though. Cap wise, Lecavalier for Luongo straight up looks fair.

#8 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Honestly I think calgary makes some sense if kipper were to get moved first and get the right value. Flames goaltending future us very iffy outside Kipper but of course I agree the likelihood of an inter division trade is very small. The one team I'd throw out there too is Washington yes they have holtby but he is pretty unproven and they may feel their window is closing.

#9 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Honestly I think calgary makes some sense if kipper were to get moved first and get the right value. Flames goaltending future us very iffy outside Kipper but of course I agree the likelihood of an inter division trade is very small. The one team I'd throw out there too is Washington yes they have holtby but he is pretty unproven and they may feel their window is closing.

Calgary makes some sense for Calgary. But it doesn't make any sense for Luongo's NTC.

#10 MrBojangles

MrBojangles

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

There is absolutely no way Luongo will be in Calgary, and I can almost guarantee that Feaster has never spoken to Gillis about a trade with Luongo. .000001% it could happen. Flames have a few goaltending prospects that look really good. There is no way they are bringing in an older goalie with a huge contract, from a rival a team. Edmonton maybe, Calgary no chance.

#11 KidKappa

KidKappa

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

My guess is the oilers.

#12 Flames22

Flames22

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Vancouver needs a big centerman. Florida needs a goalie.

Florida has Weiss, and Vanocuver has Luongo.

Obviously Florida would have to include something else, but I could see something happening there.

#13 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I wonder how Gillis' deal with who nobody thinks it is, is going? Must be crossing the t's and dotting the i's as we speak. :lol: