SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Suggestion: Bouwmeester For Subban

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#1 TA16

TA16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Trade Bouwmeester to the Habs for Pk Subban pending we get to speak with him first and sign him to a contract.

Why? Pros listed in bold for each player

Bouwmeester

BORING
Never makes big hits
Soft as butter
Ok shot from the point
29 years old
Good skater
Going downhill

Subban

Has energy
Can make huge open ice hits
Gets in your face
Great shot from the point
23 years old
Good skater
Has tons of upside

Both Bob Mckenzie and Aaron Ward stated they think PK will be traded rather than signed on "The Quiz Jan 23". No link for this but on tsn.ca

Heres a good artical on PK

And here's a reference to what Bob Mckenzie said

#2 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Ehhh I don't like that. Subban's personality is just too big. Right now he's playing "I'm a hotshot/I deserve a bunch of money" and I think that's petty considering his so-called desire to hit the ice again.

Imagine the heads butting in the locker room as Phaneuf 2.0 comes to Calgary.

Also Bouw plays much steadier D than Subban. Subban is a step in the wrong direction in terms of overall D.

#3 amstervan

amstervan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Surprised even myself when i liked ths suggestion.... my only issue is that one day a team will be super desperate and will have to overpay for a guy like jbow...... we need to exploit that senario and cash in big time....

#4 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

The kid's ego is much bigger than his game. Once his games catches up, or his inflated head deflates a bit, then maybe. But we don't need Phaneuf 2.0, except with an even bigger ego. No thanks. Wouldn't take him on my team for free. No patience for those kind of things.

#5 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Meh, i think we could move bouwmeester for something that suits our needs better. I just don't see Subban being a fit here - don't want the same problems as phaneuf. I would look more to Detroit as being a potential trading partner, their D was weak to start the season and it has now been ravished by injury - they are desperate, and we may be able to take advantage of that.

#6 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

To be honest I wouldn't mind acquiring p.k . This team has a history of being mentally weak. P.ks enthusiasm may actually help with that.

#7 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I find Pk is pretty overrated because he is a "media darling" sort to speak. As an NHL Dman he is good offensively but pretty below avg elsewhere and combine that with his attitude I don't see the upside. I'd pass especially for the price of Jbow.

#8 BobbyB12

BobbyB12

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I find Pk is pretty overrated because he is a "media darling" sort to speak. As an NHL Dman he is good offensively but pretty below avg elsewhere and combine that with his attitude I don't see the upside. I'd pass especially for the price of Jbow.

I agree with this assessment, I think the media pumps the "Subbans" tires a little too much to over hype him. J bow may not make huge hits but by far is the most smooth skater we have I still think hes a key part of our D core If we were to trade him I would hope it would be something more than Subban.

#9 LaFlamaBlanca13

LaFlamaBlanca13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I wouldnt want to lose j bouw for PK, I would go for butler and say a fourth rounder but that is all I would be willing to chance with the attitude/risk PK has with him.

And I highly doubt Montreal would go for that...

#10 jzg_64

jzg_64

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I agree with this assessment, I think the media pumps the "Subbans" tires a little too much to over hype him. J bow may not make huge hits but by far is the most smooth skater we have I still think hes a key part of our D core If we were to trade him I would hope it would be something more than Subban.

Honestly not to criticize but Montreal doesn't want to pay him the money he deserves. Also I think he was unhappy with the lockout and is locking out his services to the NHL until he gets the money he deserves. All you guys keep saying people hype him up, but honestly he is an impact player. When was the last time you saw Jbow do anything positive for the team. He never hits, he never scores, his shot is way below par, the guy never puts any extra effort into blocking shots. Watch the highlights from last nights game, he could have done way more to prevent the second goal from happening and he literally is just standing there like a dear in head lights, doesn't put pressure on the shooter. J bow never wants the puck and is scared to hold on to it and ends up turning it over all the time. Honestly I hate Jbow he seems to care more about his iron man streak and pay check then he does about the game.
Subban is a way better play in my opinion has more impact in the game and would be an amazing pick up. He knows how to get tough he knows how to get rough and he knows how to score goals and be an impact player. He just wants the contract he deserves, and I would be more then happy to trade that deadweight Jbow for Subban. He has emotion don't mistake it for hot hotheadedness. Consider the fact that he isn't the only player right now not playing due to contract disputes and I am sure you guys would be more then happy to get O'reily or Jamie Benn. you guys need to understand that the lockout was due to a lot of hot headed people who wanted more money, don't forget it. SUBBAN is a huge pickup and would be amazing for the flames.

Also, I would not even consider comparing Subban to Phaneuf. There are several rumors as to why Phaneuf was traded; here are two that were going around at the time. He had [mod edit personal rumour], he had made fun of the equipment manager of the oilers who has down syndrome. Also I went to the Juno's after party in Calgary and guess who was there? Phaneuf, getting drunk and partying like a rockstar in less then two hours after the game that night that was in Vancouver. I had friends who went to school with him in red deer the guy is a complete nob with no respect for anyone. The guy is a complete retard and shouldn't be compared to Subban in any respects.

#11 jzg_64

jzg_64

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Here, Maybe you guys should read the facts before you go jumping to conclusions as to what he brings to the table.
An elite Dman in my opinion and according to stats
http://www.habseyeso...treal-canadiens

#12 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Here, Maybe you guys should read the facts before you go jumping to conclusions as to what he brings to the table.
An elite Dman in my opinion and according to stats
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/1/21/3884474/p-k-subban-vs-his-peers-habs-montreal-canadiens

I read that blog when the OP linked it in his original post. Blogger now means "facts" ??
I fall into the "We don't need another Prima donna" line of thinking.

There are somethings that Subban brings to the table that no one seems to want to mention.
Like:
Those big open ice hits are great except when it puts you out of position. There is also the picking the wrong time to make those big open ice hits which has also been a knock on Subban for some time.

There is so much hype associated with the Montreal players. You have to be very careful when considering any of them. It appears to me there is some sort of mancrush going on between the author of that blog and Subban. He tries so hard to show Subban as an elite D man yet most of his own figures show him in the late teeans to mid-high 20's standings in his categories. He then draws the conclusion he is elite because he rates top 20 in all categories? No, he may be a well rounded Dman but I'll reserve my labeling him elite until he gets a few more years under his belt.

In the end Subban is asking for the big bucks and he has only played 2 seasons of NHL hockey. (3 if you count the 2 games he played in 2009-10). Way too early to be holding out IMO.

#13 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Very few high end players that become available don't have flaws. In my experience most of the time we focus on the flaws and fail to realize that these are the best players available outside of the draft and in our price range.

The fact is we have no high end D in our prospect system outside of maybe Brodie. Plus PK is in an age range we are light, he is a proven NHLer, and he brings dynamics sorely lacking on the team.

Feaster would be nuts not to consider him if in our price range.

That said I think he still signs in Montreal. And if he doesn't it don't think they take Bouwmeester. To expensive, and way to much attention in Montreal.

If they would take a winger back then sure. But Tanguay and Cammalleri are not options so I don't see a fit.

#14 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I fall into the "We don't need another Prima donna" line of thinking.

I tend to agree. He's had locker room fits with his teammates in the past, if i remember correctly. He's a competitive guy but it rubs off on teammates the wrong way. I would avoid Subban for that reason.

#15 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Very few high end players that become available don't have flaws. In my experience most of the time we focus on the flaws and fail to realize that these are the best players available outside of the draft and in our price range.

The fact is we have no high end D in our prospect system outside of maybe Brodie. Plus PK is in an age range we are light, he is a proven NHLer, and he brings dynamics sorely lacking on the team.

Feaster would be nuts not to consider him if in our price range.

That said I think he still signs in Montreal. And if he doesn't it don't think they take Bouwmeester. To expensive, and way to much attention in Montreal.

If they would take a winger back then sure. But Tanguay and Cammalleri are not options so I don't see a fit.

Trouble is that this comment indicates he isn't anywhere close to our price range:

"I think it's ultimately heading toward a trade," said McKenzie. "They're just too far apart on the term of the contract - P.K. wants long, the Canadiens want two years - and they're probably at least $2.5 to $3 million per year apart on where they want to be. Ultimately I think this ends up in a trade."

It indicates to me he isn't even close to a realistic term/price range for most teams.

#16 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

No reason at all for the Habs to do this trade. If they arent willing to give their top defenseman, who is also a fan favorite, what he wants, then they sure wont want Bouw for his price tag.

#17 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I tend to agree. He's had locker room fits with his teammates in the past, if i remember correctly. He's a competitive guy but it rubs off on teammates the wrong way. I would avoid Subban for that reason.

It may not have happened in Calgary, but Cammy has had locker room fits as well. Maybe its just a bunch of emotional French Canadiens rubbing elbows, but if this is the case, he would fit well with Hartley and his staff, and Tanguay. :lol:

I have an interest in this proposition. The age along with the package is what is most enticing. It gives the blue line more youth, retains some size, and gives Calgary another top tiered D-Man. Sure people compare him to the elite of the elites in the league, but although he may not be at the top of the list, Subban is always in those lists.

After seeing what Karlsson earned after a 2.5 year stint, PK wants the same sort of compensation. I think he would be a steal compared to J-Bo's contract.

#18 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Trouble is that this comment indicates he isn't anywhere close to our price range:

It indicates to me he isn't even close to a realistic term/price range for most teams.

I don't disagree. Like i said, I don't see a trade fit that don't involve assets the Flames won't or shouldn't trade. Just saying if he is available Feaster needs to at least consider him IF we can reasonably afford him.

#19 jzg_64

jzg_64

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Man, I started posting on these forums only recently today because i find you guys don't do any research, of course he rubs off the wrong way on his teammates

I think any competitive would appreciate the guy in their locker room. Look at the team he had to deal with? If you remember Cams said that he was sick and tired of the losing attitude in Montreal and for good reasons at that. Don't you think that Subban a highly emotional competitor who is what we call a clutch player would get in fights with some of the guys who aren't playing at the same level of intensity as he was. I would be pissed if I came and brought my A game every night and had a bunch of dead weight passengers on my team. He is the kind of guy who says it straight not a passive agressive loser like some. He brings a lot of effort and emotion to his game and when you have a bunch of dead weights on your team I don't blame him for getting in fights with his teammates Cammy was pissed with his teammates as well.

Anyways, I am not in love with Subban I just think a lot of you posting about how bad his attitude is should really consider circumstances, the guy has only been in the league two years and he is already an impact player who REFUSES to play with a bunch of losers. A bit of cockiness is great, look at what Backlund said "I need to play with more confidence and cockiness". He wants to play with people who are co-pilots not passengers. It's a team sport.

Subban is going to be an elite Dman for a long time to come and will only get better, get rid of Jbow and his dead weight and get Subban on our team anyday!

#20 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Man, I started posting on these forums only recently today because i find you guys don't do any research, of course he rubs off the wrong way on his teammates

Lol, not a good way to get your voice heard mate. Most people would stop reading at this point. Maybe you should research some public speaking. :lol:

Good to meet you, and nice knowing you.