SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Faceoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

BACKLUND, MIKAEL 4-7 57%
IGINLA, JAROME 4-11 36%
CAMMALLERI, MIKE 1-2 50%
STAJAN, MATT 10-17 59%
JONES, BLAIR 4-6 67%
GLENCROSS, CURTIS 2-3 67%
STEMPNIAK, LEE 0-2 0%
TANGUAY, ALEX 4-10 40%

Full breakdown by zone is here:

My faceoff trophy of the Night goes to:
Posted Image
Matt Stajan 10 of 17 @ 59%

Honorable mention to:
Blair Jones(4-6) & Curtis Glencross(2-3) both at an impressive 67%

When it comes to faceoffs there is another award that I can give out too:
Posted Image
Both Iggy(4-11) & Stemps(0-2) deserve their name inscribed "inside" this trophy from last nights performance in the circle.

#2 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Posted Image

CERVENKA, ROMAN 3-3 / 100%
BACKLUND, MIKAEL 1-6 / 17%
IGINLA, JAROME 10-13 / 77%
CAMMALLERI, MIKE 2-5 / 40%
STAJAN, MATT 7-14 / 50%
JONES, BLAIR 5-8 / 63%
GLENCROSS, CURTIS 1-1 / 100%
HUDLER, JIRI 0-1 / 0%
TANGUAY, ALEX 6-9 / 67%

My faceoff trophy of the Night goes to:
Posted Image
Jarome Iginla - 10 of 13 faceoffs won.
Honorable mention goes to Roman Cervenka - 3 of 3 Faceoffs won *lets keep an eagle eye on him*

And the faceoff performance that deserves to be flushed:
Posted Image
Mikael Backlund - 1 of 6 for 17% makes for a tough night in the circle.

#3 Bump

Bump

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for creating this thread! Please keep it up. I often spend a lot of time during a game paying close attention to the draws. Was very frustrating last year to see them do so poorly in the dot. Coming into the season I didn't see much opportunity for improvement seeing as there were not many changes down the middle. Good to see Hartley and crew experimenting with different guys and having some success!

#4 DL44

DL44

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK.....

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Vancouver - usually near the top of the league - has just one C on the positive side of ledger on the dot. Their 4th liner. Brutal start in this category. But this thread isn't about them is it..

Calgary's top faceoff guys to date...

Stajan - 34-33, 50.7%
Iginla - 24-26, 48.0%
Tanguay - 21-25, 45.7%
Backlund - 15-22, 40.5%
Jones - 10-7, 58.8%
Cammy - 6-9, 40%

Stajan has taken over for Jokinen as the team's workhorse in the faceoff circle. Which is a good thing since he was the best on the team last yr on %... and that proficiency level has so far carried over to this year.

He's carried the team out of the league basement in the category so far.. they are 23rd presently...
5 teams on their heals within a single %.. but still a strong start to the season relative to the last few seasons.

#5 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Great thread. Huge part of the game our boys need to improve.

#6 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Vancouver - usually near the top of the league - has just one C on the positive side of ledger on the dot. Their 4th liner. Brutal start in this category. But this thread isn't about them is it..

Calgary's top faceoff guys to date...

Stajan - 34-33, 50.7%
Iginla - 24-26, 48.0%
Tanguay - 21-25, 45.7%
Backlund - 15-22, 40.5%
Jones - 10-7, 58.8%
Cammy - 6-9, 40%

Stajan has taken over for Jokinen as the team's workhorse in the faceoff circle. Which is a good thing since he was the best on the team last yr on %... and that proficiency level has so far carried over to this year.

He's carried the team out of the league basement in the category so far.. they are 23rd presently...
5 teams on their heals within a single %.. but still a strong start to the season relative to the last few seasons.

Few people realize this about the Flames faceoff woes. Yes, the Flames were dead last last year. But Sutter kept throwing Jokinen out for the vast majority of the draws, despite the fact that he was a lowly 46%. Not only that, but he was - as per my subjective analysis - absolutely brutal when it mattered most (late in game, on PP or PK, etc). Re-signing Jokinen this year would NOT have improved our faceoff percentage - we are better off without him.

I will not be at all surprised if/when our FO percentage is higher this year than last.

#7 DL44

DL44

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Few people realize this about the Flames faceoff woes. Yes, the Flames were dead last last year. But Sutter kept throwing Jokinen out for the vast majority of the draws, despite the fact that he was a lowly 46%. Not only that, but he was - as per my subjective analysis - absolutely brutal when it mattered most (late in game, on PP or PK, etc). Re-signing Jokinen this year would NOT have improved our faceoff percentage - we are better off without him.

I will not be at all surprised if/when our FO percentage is higher this year than last.

There are 2 aspects of the faceoff story...
1 - winning it
2 - do something with it once you win it.

Jokinen, altho not a high percentage on the dot, was much better equipped to do something with it when he won it.

Stajan has hasn't exactly shown any scoring consistency with Calgary.. He wins faceoffs, but doesn't have the offensive punch to capitalize on the possession gained.... yet. - he's come close quite a bit the last couple games i've seen. and if he sticks with Hudler and Cervenka, the points will come.

But yeah... your point overall stands... The Flames will be higher in the faceoff category this yr than last with Stajan taking the bulk of them. That should at least help in the GA category if he's winning possession in the defensive zone more often than not.

Again - i know this is not about the canucks but man.. we miss Kesler on the dot badly.

#8 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

There are 2 aspects of the faceoff story...
1 - winning it
2 - do something with it once you win it.

Jokinen, altho not a high percentage on the dot, was much better equipped to do something with it when he won it.

Stajan has hasn't exactly shown any scoring consistency with Calgary.. He wins faceoffs, but doesn't have the offensive punch to capitalize on the possession gained.... yet. - he's come close quite a bit the last couple games i've seen. and if he sticks with Hudler and Cervenka, the points will come.

But yeah... your point overall stands... The Flames will be higher in the faceoff category this yr than last with Stajan taking the bulk of them. That should at least help in the GA category if he's winning possession in the defensive zone more often than not.

Again - i know this is not about the canucks but man.. we miss Kesler on the dot badly.

I never said Stajan was going to take the bulk of them (just that Jokinen won't).

Hartley will utilize everyone, going with situational scenarios and matchups. That will include more Iginla (probably best on the team), Glencross, and Cammalleri. Also, I fully expect Backlund and Jones to continue to improve and get more opportunity.

#9 DL44

DL44

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I never said Stajan was going to take the bulk of them (just that Jokinen won't).

No i know you didn't.. its just how the numbers are trending right now with Stajan taken 16-17 more than the next guy - Iginla - 4 games in... translates to 200 more over the course of this shortened season.

Hartley will utilize everyone, going with situational scenarios and matchups. That will include more Iginla (probably best on the team), Glencross, and Cammalleri. Also, I fully expect Backlund and Jones to continue to improve and get more opportunity.

We will see. I think if Stajan clicks as well with Hudler and Cervenka as did the last game, and continues to play as well defensively as he has early this season, then i see the Stajan trend continuing with those other guys getting an opportunity at the expense of each other..

It would be the way to go if he continues his %. Because at the least - it will help defensively. At best his line is able turn those extra possession opportunities into points.

#10 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think there is a very good chance that Cervenka replaces Stajan at C on that line within 2 weeks (probably sooner). That will either push Stajan to the 4th line, or (more likely) injuries will shuffle things up

#11 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Posted Image

CERVENKA, ROMAN 2-4 / 50%
BACKLUND, MIKAEL 5-11 / 45%
IGINLA, JAROME 5-10 / 50%
CAMMALLERI, MIKE 0-1 / 0%
STAJAN, MATT 10-15 / 67%
JONES, BLAIR 2-4 / 50%
GLENCROSS, CURTIS 3-3 / 100%
STEMPNIAK, LEE 0-1 / 0%
TANGUAY, ALEX 5-7 / 71%

Trophy tonight for best on the dot
Posted Image
TANGUAY, ALEX 5-7 / 71%

Honorable mention to STAJAN, MATT 10-15 / 67%

And the faceoff performance that deserves to be flushed:
Posted Image

No one. I won't give this to someone that lost just 1 faceoff.
Backlund was under 50% but not that far off.

#12 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Posted Image

CERVENKA, ROMAN 2-4 / 50%
BACKLUND, MIKAEL 6-10 / 60%
IGINLA, JAROME 11-15 / 73%
CAMMALLERI, MIKE 3-4 / 75%
COMEAU, BLAKE 1-1 / 100%
STAJAN, MATT 10-19 / 53%
JONES, BLAIR 1-1 / 100%
GLENCROSS, CURTIS 0-2 / 0%
TANGUAY, ALEX 3-8 / 38%

Posted Image
IGINLA, JAROME 11-15 / 73%

*Big Honorable mention* to everyone else.

And the faceoff performance that deserves to be flushed
Posted Image

I suppose I can give it to
TANGUAY, ALEX 3-8 / 38%

#13 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Posted Image

CERVENKA, ROMAN 1-3 / 33%
BACKLUND, MIKAEL 5-13 / 38%
IGINLA, JAROME 9-13 / 69%
CAMMALLERI, MIKE 2-4 / 50%
STAJAN, MATT 12-24 / 50%
JONES, BLAIR 3-5 / 60%
GLENCROSS, CURTIS 0-1 / 0%
HUDLER, JIRI 1-1 / 100%
BEGIN, STEVE 0-2 / 0%
TANGUAY, ALEX 0-4 / 0%

Posted Image
Goes to Iggy 9-13 69%

Posted Image
There were a few but Tangs took 4 and lost them all.

#14 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Posted Image

CERVENKA, ROMAN 1-3 / 33%
BACKLUND, MIKAEL 5-13 / 38%
IGINLA, JAROME 9-13 / 69%
CAMMALLERI, MIKE 2-4 / 50%
STAJAN, MATT 12-24 / 50%
JONES, BLAIR 3-5 / 60%
GLENCROSS, CURTIS 0-1 / 0%
HUDLER, JIRI 1-1 / 100%
BEGIN, STEVE 0-2 / 0%
TANGUAY, ALEX 0-4 / 0%

Posted Image
Goes to Iggy 9-13 69%

Posted Image
There were a few but Tangs took 4 and lost them all.

I agree with your assessment of the Golden Throne Trophy. If Tanguay is slotted to play as #1C, he should be facing off like a #1C.

#15 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Well I am happy over all on our face foofs this year, a definate improvement from last year. WE started slow but have improved since then. Below have come from the www.thescore.com game summaries (box scores)

Jan 20 SJ 60% vs CGY 40% - LOSS
Jan 21 ANA 57% vs CGY 43% - LOSS
Jan 23 VAN 50% vs CGY 50% - PUSH
Jan 26 EDM 39% vs CGY 58% - WIN
Jan 31 COL 43% vs CGY 57% - WIN
Feb 2 CHI 42% vs CGY 58% - WIN
Feb 5 Det 53% vs CGY 47% - LOSS

And based off this NHL.com we are 50% on the season which is 16 in the league, where we were like last at the end of the year last year. I am happy where we are and we are just improving each game in pretty much all areas. Things are looking good for the future.

#16 DL44

DL44

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Jan 20 SJ 60% vs CGY 40% - LOSS - Lost
Jan 21 ANA 57% vs CGY 43% - LOSS - Lost
Jan 23 VAN 50% vs CGY 50% - PUSH - Tied thru 65 mins
Jan 26 EDM 39% vs CGY 58% - WIN - Win
Jan 31 COL 43% vs CGY 57% - WIN - Lost
Feb 2 CHI 42% vs CGY 58% - WIN - Tied thru 65
Feb 5 Det 53% vs CGY 47% - LOSS - Win

Add another layer to this thread by adding the results in each game thru 65 mins:
-ignoring Shootout results for obvious reasons.
-so 3rd column is actually representing ties.. gms that went into shootout.

Record with winning FO %: 1-1-1
Record with losing FO %: 1-2
Pushes: 0-0-1

#17 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I agree with your assessment of the Golden Throne Trophy. If Tanguay is slotted to play as #1C, he should be facing off like a #1C.

That's a silly statement. Flames fans' current obsession with FOs is ridiculous, but I guess that's what happens when you finish last.

WHo cares what Tanguay's FO percentage is, if Iginla and Cammalleri can take the majority of them. Far more important is how he can play defensively, and he's getting better each game.

THere are lots of examples of players who play positionally at C but don't take a lot of draws (and both Hudler and Cervenka have been in that position before)

The Flames have been running at 50% so far this year. That is all that matters, making FOs a complete non-issue

#18 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Flames fans' current obsession with FOs is ridiculous, but I guess that's what happens when you finish last.

Then what is the point of the thread?

That's a silly statement...

WHo cares what Tanguay's FO percentage is, if Iginla and Cammalleri can take the majority of them. Far more important is how he can play defensively, and he's getting better each game.

THere are lots of examples of players who play positionally at C but don't take a lot of draws (and both Hudler and Cervenka have been in that position before)

The Flames have been running at 50% so far this year. That is all that matters, making FOs a complete non-issue

It isn't silly, although I can't change your mind for you. Faceoffs make or break games, whether you are last or not.

Like you said, if you have players to pick up the slack, great, but you generally go with your best guy on the dot. If tangs can't bring up his percentages, he's not performing that aspect of his job.

All that matters is the overall faceoff percentage? I am under the impression individuals are what make that overall percentage. Ignoring an an area that needs work with one player only brings that percentage down. The same can be said for blocked shots, turnovers, etc.

With that thought process personal stats mean nothing. That is silly.

#19 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Posted Image

CERVENKA, ROMAN 1-2 / 50%
BACKLUND, MIKAEL 4-8 / 50%
IGINLA, JAROME 8-16 / 50%
STAJAN, MATT 6-20 / 30%
JONES, BLAIR 5-6 / 83%
BEGIN, STEVE 0-2 / 0%
TANGUAY, ALEX 7-15 / 47%

Posted Image
Blair Jones 5 of 6 @ 83%

Posted Image
Matt Stajan. Sorry Matt but @ 30% we need better.

#20 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Then what is the point of the thread?

It isn't silly, although I can't change your mind for you. Faceoffs make or break games, whether you are last or not.

Like you said, if you have players to pick up the slack, great, but you generally go with your best guy on the dot. If tangs can't bring up his percentages, he's not performing that aspect of his job.

All that matters is the overall faceoff percentage? I am under the impression individuals are what make that overall percentage. Ignoring an an area that needs work with one player only brings that percentage down. The same can be said for blocked shots, turnovers, etc.

With that thought process personal stats mean nothing. That is silly.

You said that Tanguay needs to win draws like a #1 C.

I said that is silly, as long as things are being taken care of in the FO circle. Iginal has been excellent. They are splitting the duties for the line and, combined, they are about 50%.

Therefore there is no problem and saying Tanguay needs to be doing it like a #1 C is wrong and irrelevant.

And yes, I understand FOs are important, I never suggested otherwise.