SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

New Flames Arena

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Without resurrecting an older thread, I though I would touch base on a much coveted and talked about issue.

With the Oilers and the City of Edmonton coming to an agreement and going forward with the building of their new state of the art arena, would it be safe to say the Flames will follow suit in planning for the very near future?

Last year in the town hall meetings, the year with the dreadful "Feaster Guarantee", we also had another guarantee of sorts from Ken King. He accepted a flurry of questions about the future of a new arena and and I believe he answered with a statement that the organization would be breaking ground by 2015 on condition of securing the site.

Is this plan still in the works or on hold? And do you think success of the team in the next few season will affect this timeline?

#2 Flames22

Flames22

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Without resurrecting an older thread, I though I would touch base on a much coveted and talked about issue.

With the Oilers and the City of Edmonton coming to an agreement and going forward with the building of their new state of the art arena, would it be safe to say the Flames will follow suit in planning for the very near future?

Last year in the town hall meetings, the year with the dreadful "Feaster Guarantee", we also had another guarantee of sorts from Ken King. He accepted a flurry of questions about the future of a new arena and and I believe he answered with a statement that the organization would be breaking ground by 2015 on condition of securing the site.

Is this plan still in the works or on hold? And do you think success of the team in the next few season will affect this timeline?

Apparently Ken King has said that he doesn't need money from the government, which would make it significantly easier to build a new arena.

I imagine that a new stadium would be built on the stampede grounds, either where the horse race track is now (as it is getting demolished), or just next to the Saddledome. I can't see this happening for a couple of years, however.

#3 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Last ticket meeting I attended I recall King saying that they were going to be looking to reveal their plans to the public in the next few months. That of course was in April or may so perhaps the lockout affected those plans. Either way I think plans should be Mae public at some point this year.

#4 withsilverwings

withsilverwings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

My guess is the plan is still in the works - it's been in the works for years. If I remember correctly the plan has been to let Edmonton go first.

I am hoping that their first choice (on the Stampede grounds) goes through, although it won't be where the race track is - as it's not being demolished just some of the barns have been demolished.

#5 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 10,690 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

What about instead of boards, we have a ring of fire around the ice? Crazy man, can someone photoshop it to illustrate what i mean?

#6 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

What about instead of boards, we have a ring of fire around the ice? Crazy man, can someone photoshop it to illustrate what i mean?

Sounds like it would bring a whole different angle to "Man, did they ever get burned at the game last night"...

#7 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

They should build it right across from Crossiron Mills in Balzac, cheap land and great for the north end people. Build a massive arena of epic proportions there... :)

Realistically, it will either be at the Stampede, the "West Village" or at the University (in conjunction with some Stampeder facility - either on the way or planned for the future).

#8 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

They should build it right across from Crossiron Mills in Balzac, cheap land and great for the north end people. Build a massive arena of epic proportions there... :)

Realistically, it will either be at the Stampede, the "West Village" or at the University (in conjunction with some Stampeder facility - either on the way or planned for the future).

You would lose Calgary as a source of funding as that isn't in their municipality. There is no train. There are no bars, few restaurants, etc. Plus, South Calgary would be choked.

A big mass of people spend money. This will almost certainly be in an area where there are options for a big mass of people wanting to spend money. Which (as you say) makes it downtown or in a similar area.

As a fan I would prefer it wasn't. I would love the Balzac area. But that won't happen.

#9 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 10,690 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

I think they should bring down the Big Four building and do it there. What in the world is the Big Four building used for anyways? It's a complete waste of space. Yes, it alone is too small so it's got to take up a bit of the Stampede grounds for it to work. The city has also been reclaiming the land just North of the Stampede where the original plans were to expand the Stampede grounds. Perhaps, that's where they should build the new arena instead.

Another location on the Stampede grounds is South of the race track where they have the Indian tents during Stampede. Only thing is, that might upset the Idle No More movement and the natives will demand royalties... :ph34r:

Is it an option for the Flames and the city to buyout the Greyhound building and the GSL car dealership on the westend and do it there? It would look pretty grand driving down Bow Trail and the first thing you see before entering downtown is the new Flames arena. They've also got the new Sunalta c-train station right next door.

How about next to the new Science Center? Actually, where the Science Center is, i was always thinking that's a great place to have a new hockey arena. It's on Deerfoot so it's easy access to Calgary's main artery.

Across Balzac doesn't make sense for South Calgary. Although, they should build an arena in Airdrie and move the Heat there. Airdrie is growing fast. I would pay to watch the farm team if it's got a few good prospects there and if it's only a 15-minute drive out of Calgary. Plus, it makes for an easy recall to the parent team. Another added bonus is that both the main team and the farm team can practice together.

I don't think the McMahon area makes any sense because of a shortage of space. There's a park just north of McMahon stadium that could fit a stadium but won't have any parking space afterwards. Unless they flatten the baseball park and the track and field facility but still, that's not a lot of real estate to work with. Crowchild also can't facilitate that kind of added traffic. It's already a mess during normal rush hour.

There is a lot of empty green space near the Children's Hospital. You've got Shaganappi Trail for good access but no C-train. Still, in terms of open space to work with, that's a good area.

Is the Curry Barracks area a possible location? Do they even use that army base anymore?

#10 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I think they should bring down the Big Four building and do it there. What in the world is the Big Four building used for anyways? It's a complete waste of space. Yes, it alone is too small so it's got to take up a bit of the Stampede grounds for it to work. The city has also been reclaiming the land just North of the Stampede where the original plans were to expand the Stampede grounds. Perhaps, that's where they should build the new arena instead.

Peeps that building is ALWAYS in use. Fairs, christmas parties, events, organizational meetings, Stampede etc it's basically a big convention center. YOu will never get them to approve taking that building down thats a HUGE loss of revenue for the STampede committee.

Is it an option for the Flames and the city to buyout the Greyhound building and the GSL car dealership on the westend and do it there? It would look pretty grand driving down Bow Trail and the first thing you see before entering downtown is the new Flames arena. They've also got the new Sunalta c-train station right next door.

I've actually heard a few people talk about this and it does make some sense (provided the province kicks in to fix the traffic flow around there. YOu've got the train right there, close to downtown so you would probably limit the driving to a certain extent(people would just stay downtown and walk there from work) and if you fix the flow of traffice around there it's easy to just hope onto Memorial, Bow Trail, or Crowchild for people to get home to different quadrants.

I don't think the McMahon area makes any sense because of a shortage of space. There's a park just north of McMahon stadium that could fit a stadium but won't have any parking space afterwards. Unless they flatten the baseball park and the track and field facility but still, that's not a lot of real estate to work with. Crowchild also can't facilitate that kind of added traffic. It's already a mess during normal rush hour.

This only started because the Flames bought the Stamps so people are assuming they would want to have the stampedes side by side. King was pretty sour on the idea when he spoke about it and really made it seem like that location is not part of the thought process at all. it would be a nightmare up there the traffic flow sucks up there.

Is the Curry Barracks area a possible location? Do they even use that army base anymore?

Problem with that is you have no train access and I think the Flames would be very foolish to use any locations that didn't have a train stop either right beside it or within a 5 minute walk.

#11 Kulstad

Kulstad

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I've always thought the Fire Park area (Barlow/Max Bell C-Train station) would make a great place for a new building. Still on the C-Train, relatively close to downtown, and has a great view of the city (it's on top of a hill/lookout-type point). Could be a nice "skyline renovation", too

#12 Kulstad

Kulstad

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Is this kind of what you had in mind, Peeps? (it's a quick-and-dirty mock-up)

Posted Image