SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

This Is Not The Trade Iggy Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

This is the we want to keep him a Flame thread.
There is no "we need to give Iggy a chance to get a cup elsewhere" in this thread.
There is no "trade Iggy and get some fine young prospects for the future" in this thread.
This is the what can we and should we do to keep him here thread.

Things we can consider:
1. How much should we offer him and should we expect another home town discount?
2. Is it too early to start with 1 year term contracts?
3. How does keeping Iggy figure into your long term plans with the Flames?
4. Should we wait to make our offer until end of the season?
5. Should we get him signed soon.

Iggy presently gets 7mil/year. His cap hit is the same 7 mil/yer.

My initial thoughts are:
There aren't many comparable but Shane Doan who is 1 year older got 5.3 mil/year for 4 years. Offering Iggy the same or less would be a huge insult in my mind. Iggy is far superior player and easily as good a leader. Iggy stays in shape so I would have little problem with offering a 4-5 years contract at this time. I think it will end up somewhere around 6+ mil/year maybe a tad higher.

#2 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

$22M over 4 years (7, 6, 5 4) - $5.5M per

While I would prefer one year deals, I can't see Iginla being interested in that.

#3 DL44

DL44

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK.....

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Doan contract isn't exactly a comparable since that was signed under a $70 mil cap environment.
Iginla will be signing under a $64.3 mil cap.
But Iginla's a higher end talent which likely cancels that out..

There are PR differences with the 2 franchises.
Phoenix would of sustained a lot more damage losing Doan than the Flames likely would losing Iginla. Hence the 4 yr term.

I think Feaster is still in the evaluation process with the team to figure out The Plan.. The longer Iginla goes without signing would indicate a shorter term contract.... logic being - if Feaster and Iginla have both committed to a particular plan that included each other, the sooner they would agree to a long term contract. I would GUESS the timeline to expect such a deal would be the trade deadline... with a decreasing chance of a long term deal after that.

so..
1. ~$6mil/yr or under. If there is a plan he likes that Feaster sells him on, a home town discount follows.
2. Yes - if a multi yr deal brings the cap # down. No - if both sides are unsure about the direction of the club.
3. Keeping him would mean - continuing to add and shuffle pieces to the roster to win now. Rebuild, or being deadline sellers unlikely.
4. I think he deserves better than that type of uncertainty. Feaster should know the plan well before then and whether he sees Iginla as part of it. If he doesn't have an offer till the end of the season - it's unlikely a serious one to keep him.
5. If he's part of the plan - definitely.

#4 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

$22M over 4 years (7, 6, 5 4) - $5.5M per

While I would prefer one year deals, I can't see Iginla being interested in that.

Does that work in the new CBA? Doesn't the final year of the contract have to be within X amount/percentage of the first year?

I think we wait it out until the end of the season and offer a 1-year extension. Play it year by year. Incluse a No Trade Clause. Give Iginla the say on whether he wants to stay or leave. In the meantime, we work hard to build a solid team as if he's not going to stay.

#5 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

yes it does

#6 FlamesLogic

FlamesLogic

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

This all depends on if iginla prefers to be a flame for life or not. If he does, everything is moot. Sign him to a market deal and be done with it.

The best situation for the team however is to sign him to 1 year market deals for the rest of his career and trade him if the flames are out of the playoff picture for rebuilding assets. Consider this the Keith Tkachuk plan.

It is also good for Iginla in that Iginla can keep his family in calgary knowing that he is going to come back in the off season and essentially hit the road for 2 months, so less wear and tear on them.

As well it gives him an opportunity to go for a cup every year the flames arent in the playoff picture.

In short, the only reason Iginla wont be here is if he is ready to pull the cord on the flames for good and go to a perennial contender (if there is such a thing in this age of parity).

#7 DL44

DL44

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK.....

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Does that work in the new CBA? Doesn't the final year of the contract have to be within X amount/percentage of the first year?

http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/nhl_nhlpa-proposed-cba-summary-of-terms_final-jan-12-2013.pdf

For multi-year SPCs that are “Front-Loaded Contracts,” :

a) Year-to-year variability in compensation (each year’s Salary and Bonuses) will be limited to 35% of the compensation in the first year of the SPC. For example, if a Player earns $10 million in compensation (Salary and Bonuses) in Year 1 of his SPC, his compensation (Salary and Bonuses) cannot increase or decrease by more than $3.5 million in any subsequent year of the SPC.

B.) The lowest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) cannot be less than 50% of the highest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) of the SPC. For example, if in the
highest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) of a Player’s SPC, he earns $10 million
in total compensation (Salary and Bonuses), he may never earn less than $5 million in any
single year during the term of his SPC.For all other multi-year SPCs (i.e., not Front-Loaded Contracts as defined above), the 100% Rule shall apply.

-----

The max drop on a yr 1 $7 mil is $2.45 mil. Min salary in the final yr is $3.5 mil.
So C_w's structure is just fine.

#8 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Peeps: love the new avatar. Hopefully it has a better playoff record

Just realized that the Flames have missed the playoffs since I jioned the board.

If they miss again this year, I will humbly retire for the good of the team

#9 FlamesLogic

FlamesLogic

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Just realized that the Flames have missed the playoffs since I jioned the board.

Posted Image

#10 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

:lol:

#11 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

This is the we want to keep him a Flame thread.
There is no "we need to give Iggy a chance to get a cup elsewhere" in this thread.
There is no "trade Iggy and get some fine young prospects for the future" in this thread.
This is the what can we and should we do to keep him here thread.

Things we can consider:
1. How much should we offer him and should we expect another home town discount?
2. Is it too early to start with 1 year term contracts?
3. How does keeping Iggy figure into your long term plans with the Flames?
4. Should we wait to make our offer until end of the season?
5. Should we get him signed soon.

Iggy presently gets 7mil/year. His cap hit is the same 7 mil/yer.

My initial thoughts are:
There aren't many comparable but Shane Doan who is 1 year older got 5.3 mil/year for 4 years. Offering Iggy the same or less would be a huge insult in my mind. Iggy is far superior player and easily as good a leader. Iggy stays in shape so I would have little problem with offering a 4-5 years contract at this time. I think it will end up somewhere around 6+ mil/year maybe a tad higher.

Four or five years at 5.75 each year. He will be just as good/better as jagr/Whitney at their age so deserves a good paycheck, but downside it is a new lower cap and we can't afford 6-7 mill for a player past his prime no matter how legendary. I personally think Feaster should focus all his energy on the draft and landing a Getzlaf/perry this off season then budget Iggy. He is great and I love Iggy but he can't be THE priority. He can't be the cornerstone of this franchise and he should/probably will step the side to make room. He IS the unquestionable leader but he's not a powerhouse he used to be. He knows this. The unfortunate thing is the trade Iggy to a contender rumors and mentality in conjunction with drop in salary cap have handcuffed Iggy into getting any more money anywhere else either so hell have to accept a paycut either way.

#12 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Four or five years at 5.75 each year. He will be just as good/better as jagr/Whitney at their age so deserves a good paycheck, but downside it is a new lower cap and we can't afford 6-7 mill for a player past his prime no matter how legendary. I personally think Feaster should focus all his energy on the draft and landing a Getzlaf/perry this off season then budget Iggy. He is great and I love Iggy but he can't be THE priority. He can't be the cornerstone of this franchise and he should/probably will step the side to make room. He IS the unquestionable leader but he's not a powerhouse he used to be. He knows this. The unfortunate thing is the trade Iggy to a contender rumors and mentality in conjunction with drop in salary cap have handcuffed Iggy into getting any more money anywhere else either so hell have to accept a paycut either way.

I would be careful about being too cavalier about that 5th year.

A cap hit close to $6M for a 5th year is very dangerous.

Basically, for a guy over 35, each additional year increases the risk exponentially. I think a 5 year deal is massively more risky than a 4 year deal and the only way I would agree to the 5th year would be if it brought the cap down substantially - like to $4M or less.

#13 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/nhl_nhlpa-proposed-cba-summary-of-terms_final-jan-12-2013.pdf

For multi-year SPCs that are “Front-Loaded Contracts,” :

a) Year-to-year variability in compensation (each year’s Salary and Bonuses) will be limited to 35% of the compensation in the first year of the SPC. For example, if a Player earns $10 million in compensation (Salary and Bonuses) in Year 1 of his SPC, his compensation (Salary and Bonuses) cannot increase or decrease by more than $3.5 million in any subsequent year of the SPC.

B.) The lowest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) cannot be less than 50% of the highest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) of the SPC. For example, if in the
highest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) of a Player’s SPC, he earns $10 million
in total compensation (Salary and Bonuses), he may never earn less than $5 million in any
single year during the term of his SPC.For all other multi-year SPCs (i.e., not Front-Loaded Contracts as defined above), the 100% Rule shall apply.

-----

The max drop on a yr 1 $7 mil is $2.45 mil. Min salary in the final yr is $3.5 mil.
So C_w's structure is just fine.

Thanks guys, still very new at the new CBA.

At the end of the day, with the cap going down next season, i don't see a Cup contender with $7-mil worth of cap space who would add Iginla to their roster. They would have to gut a significant amount of key pieces to make room for him. Maybe he can go to the Penguins for $3-mil-per for one season. That's about it.

The Red Wings have cap space but are they still a Cup contender? What about the Blues (they are dead broke and according to Forbes, they are the least valuable franchise in all sports)?

Options to play with Cup contenders aren't plentiful. If the Flames offer him one year at $5-mil, i think that's going to be the best offer he will have on the table, moneywise. No need to hit him with a 4-year-deal that starts at $7-mil. If he wants to pull a Paul Kariya and play somewhere else for a reduced cost to try to win, then so be it.

---

And yea, may the curse be lifted!

#14 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Why would you start a keep Iginla thread but then suggest to signing him to a one year deal?

If he stays it's gonna be a minimum 3 year contract.

#15 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Why would you start a keep Iginla thread but then suggest to signing him to a one year deal?

If he stays it's gonna be a minimum 3 year contract.

When elite players start to get near the end of their careers they often revert to a series of 1 year contracts. There are numerous examples, Teemu Selanne, Daniel Alfredsson lately.

I only put that in the things to consider and was not suggesting it.

In fact I stated in my opinion

I would have little problem with offering a 4-5 years contract at this time

#16 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image

Funny

I don't think burning C_W at the stake would help much.Posted Image

C_W maybe you should consider an Avatar Icon.

If the "luck" theme is important to you:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think we wait it out until the end of the season and offer a 1-year extension. Play it year by year. Incluse a No Trade Clause. Give Iginla the say on whether he wants to stay or leave. In the meantime, we work hard to build a solid team as if he's not going to stay.

While a one year extension would be ideal for the team, I don't see Iggy going for it unless he is unsure and wants to stick around while he decides. This is a shortened season and might want one more good year with the team. Also, the one year extension would most likely be for 6.5 or more.

I would suggest 3 years at 5.75 mil with a modified NTC. This allows him to be moved if the Club deems necessary, but only to respective teams that he would prefer to play with. It would be a perfect length for both him and the team. If his performance remains at pace with the past years, great. If it drops, the modified NTC gives the Flames org. an exit strategy.

#18 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

thanks DD.

I am not really into avatars, but if I were ever to do one, I really like the good fortune one. may have to go with that

#19 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

>>> For the record, that funny looking character (Peep's old avatar), means fire in Chinese.

#20 hockeypriest

hockeypriest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm under the understanding that the owners want Iggy here for life...I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a 5 year $20,000,000 deal with a no trade clause and some bonuses

The ball is definitely in Iggy's court and he will have the choice where he wants to play, however, if he leaves , he will likely have to take a haircut on the dollars and term unless he decides to go to a non contender in which case he is better off staying in Calgary.