• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 BillsandFlames

BillsandFlames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

I think Irving is a better goalie than Kipper now. I would like us to give the young kid a shot, he played great at times when he was in last year. Kippers weak goals have been killing us in a couple games this season. I would like to see some competition at the goalie position, at least until Kipper picks his game up. Kipper has continued to regressed over the last 4 years. He is still a decent goalie but he is not the player he was 4 years ago.

What are your thoughts?

#2 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 10,690 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I think we should be careful what we wish for because Irving hasn't been very good even at the AHL level. He couldn't outplay Barry Brust to win the starter's role in Abbotsford. Playing Irving is just an emotional reaction to ONE bad (very bad) game by Kipper. We have to go back to Kipper on Saturday (especially against Chicago).

Only if Kipper faulters again do we go to Irving for a game.

#3 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Against Chicago.. umm no thanks. We gave him a game like that in Boston last year. It wasn't pretty. In fact it was down right ugly.

#4 swtrooper

swtrooper

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Gotta start Kipper against Hawks. We cant sit him on a knee jerk reaction to a bad game espically against one of the best teams in the league. Yes Kipper had a horrible game but he is the only choice against the Hawks.

Against Chicago.. umm no thanks. We gave him a game like that in Boston last year. It wasn't pretty. In fact it was down right ugly.

I remember that. Didnt they score 7 or 9 goals or something. I remember Boston not even really celebrating after the 5th one.

#5 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationGrande Prairie, AB

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Kipper better start stepping up soon, he hasn't been sharp this year. Calgary has allowed 3 or more goals in every game so far, that's just not good enough

#6 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think Irving is a better goalie than Kipper now. I would like us to give the young kid a shot, he played great at times when he was in last year. Kippers weak goals have been killing us in a couple games this season. I would like to see some competition at the goalie position, at least until Kipper picks his game up. Kipper has continued to regressed over the last 4 years. He is still a decent goalie but he is not the player he was 4 years ago.

What are your thoughts?

I stopped reading after the bolded section. Credibility went out the window.

#7 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Gotta start Kipper against Hawks. We cant sit him on a knee jerk reaction to a bad game espically against one of the best teams in the league. Yes Kipper had a horrible game but he is the only choice against the Hawks.

I remember that. Didnt they score 7 or 9 goals or something. I remember Boston not even really celebrating after the 5th one.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2011020584
Posted Image

and Tuukka Rask earned his third shutout in four starts

#8 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts
  • LocationNot So Far North

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I think Irving is a better goalie than Kipper now.

Out the window, down the street and disappeared on the horizon...

Could we use some help from a backup goaltender at times? Absolutely...

Irving was only kept as he was deemed a better tender than Karlsson, and that ain't saying much... So it's either ride it out and see how Ramo does, or look elsewhere via trade...

There is a slim chance that Irving could step up and rightfully claim the job he now holds by default, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it...

#9 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Misguided Angel

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,536 posts
  • LocationFriendly Manitoba

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Out the window, down the street and disappeared on the horizon...

Could we use some help from a backup goaltender at times? Absolutely...

Irving was only kept as he was deemed a better tender than Karlsson, and that ain't saying much... So it's either ride it out and see how Ramo does, or look elsewhere via trade...

There is a slim chance that Irving could step up and rightfully claim the job he now holds by default, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it...

I've shown more faith in Irving then most but that line had me rofl.

well done steaking ridiculous! :lol:

#10 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

I think we should be careful what we wish for because Irving hasn't been very good even at the AHL level. He couldn't outplay Barry Brust to win the starter's role in Abbotsford. Playing Irving is just an emotional reaction to ONE bad (very bad) game by Kipper. We have to go back to Kipper on Saturday (especially against Chicago).

Only if Kipper faulters again do we go to Irving for a game.

sound logic here

#11 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have consistently said that goal tending was an area of worry for the Flames starting this season. In the last 5 seasons Kipper has had one great year, one okay year, and three pretty awful years. Two of those awful years were under an offensive style coach. A lot of fans just took for granted that Kipper would play this season like he did last.

But that said. Saying Irving is better then Kipper is just silly. If the Flames are going to win it is because Kipper has worked out of his funk. He only does that by playing games. Putting a goalie in place with 1 NHL win that just lost his back-up job in the AHL isn't the solution.

#12 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Putting a goalie in place with 1 NHL win that just lost his back-up job in the AHL isn't the solution.

Worth reapeating and bolding and enlarging for emphasis.

#13 MrBojangles

MrBojangles

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think the Flames should play Irving. If we're going to hang onto our last place standing in the league we need to be smart. It will be exciting when Jones or MacKinnon is officially a Flame! Baertschi, Gaudreau, Jankowski, Brodie Brossoit and MacKinnon! Early on it's shaping up to be a great team for at least a decade!

#14 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Kipper didnt have the benefit of games either in the minors or preseason to get into game shape. Irving has just plain sucked this year. If you want to get into the playoffs you ride Kipper as much as possible, he will settle into his usual self sooner then later.

#15 mike_jones

mike_jones

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I thought they might go with Irving tonight because Kipper didn't take part in the morning skate. (Neither did Jarome, mind you [maintenance]) But Hartley is all confindence when it comes to Kipper...

"I'll be very honest with you," said the Flames head coach following Friday's on-ice session.

"Miikka Kip-rusoff was one of the reasons why I decided to come to Calgary. I still feel the same way about Miikka Kiprusoff. If I would be a betting man, I know Miikka Kiprusoff is going to win way more games for the Calgary Flames than he's going to lose."
Unprompted, he continued.

"He's one of the best goalies in the league," Hartley said. "I feel very comfortable, very confident, with Miikka. And I know that he's going to bounce back."

Apparently Emery is getting the start for the Hawks and the Hawks are a tired bunch and didn't skate this morning as they didn't get in until after 3am. Bolland is questionable for tonight's game and the Hawks have lost the last 4 in Calgary.

This is definely a toss up between watching this game or UFC 156. :/ Part of me thinks the Flames could come out to play and embarass the Hawks. Or do I take a chance on UFC and hope it doesn't become a hugging contest? Decisions, decisions!

#16 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm not sure if Irving is their best backup right now, but he'll have to do.

It's going to be painful, but the Flames Need to start playing their young backups.

Get Irving in there. Expect disaster. Be thankful if it works out.

In the definite case of disaster, pat him on the back, give it a few games, rinse, and repeat.

Irving Does have what it takes to be an NHL starter (as do a number of other Flames prospects).

We would be Lucky if it took only 10 NHL games to get him playing at a competitive NHL level, considering the lack of minutes we've given him.

If the purpose of giving him a game is to see what happens, it's a waste of time. I can tell you what'll happen. It's an investment. In a shortened season, it will hurt us. But it is Necessary and has been for a Long time. The longer we leave it, the worse it gets.

#17 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Irving won't be a Flame next season and Kipper gives you the best chance to win. Playing him to invest in development is a waste. You play him when you absolutely have to and no more.

If Irving was sticking around I would say play him more. But he isn't.

#18 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts
  • LocationNot So Far North

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Irving won't be a Flame next season and Kipper gives you the best chance to win. Playing him to invest in development is a waste. You play him when you absolutely have to and no more.

If Irving was sticking around I would say play him more. But he isn't.

That is also my opinion on the subject...

If Irving was considered to part of the Flames future, he never would have been put on waivers...,

#19 TrippinVdUb

TrippinVdUb

KCCO!

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Whats Irving starting? Pilates? Hot yoga? Delivering pizza's? Well either way let me know when he starts saving pucks and stops with his whinny attitude that got him benched last season....

#20 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Despite Irving's shortcomings, Kipper has been pretty bad this year too. We are the worst team in the NHL by Sv%. By a huge margin too. We are second worst in goal differential in the west, only to Columbus (and they've played 3 more games).

We need to trade to acquire a goalie ASAP if we honestly think we have a shot at the playoffs.

A 0.859 Sv% is not at an acceptable level for an NHL goalie. If Kipper can't step up on his own, we need to bring someone in to compete for the job. That's not Irving obviously.

Today, Kipper is the worst starting goalie in the entire NHL by Sv%. That's why we are losing. We are 2nd to only the Blues in lowest shots against. We're losing because Kipper isn't good enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users