Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

2 Steps Forward And 1 Step Back.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

That old saying could easily be the Flames mantra the last few seasons. It certainly fits our 3 game road swing we just finished.

So kudos to the Flames you got 4 of a possible 6 points on your road trip. We have some issues to focus our attention on now.

Issue #1
Our home record is brutal. 1-3-1 and that is during what should have been an easy schedual. Lots of practice time, days off between games, we were certainly poised to come out of that home stand much better in the standings. We didn't. That home stand was more like 2 steps back and one Baby-step forward.

Issue #2

While our shots on goal are way down, they mostly seem to be quality shots we are allowing. The number of goals allowed for the few shots we are letting through to the net, is unacceptable.

Issue #3
Our PK needs some work. Heavy Work. I don't have a solution but would like to note it appears we are over extending our aggressiveness and leaving big passing lanes.

There are more issues but if we can put a decent effort on these 3 things and see some improvement, then I think we can climb back up the standings. Even with our injuries these improvements are doable.

#2 swtrooper

swtrooper

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

I dont have any numbers at all but hasnt our home record been bad consistently for the past few years? I remember back about two or three years ago we had one of the best road records but the worst home records and it made us suffer in the standings.

I do agree with these issues you bring up that we need to work on but I think the home record thing has been something we ve had a problem with for years since the run we took with Keenan as our coach.

#3 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

The place is a morgue. Games are events, and events are supposed to be fun.
It's very conservative.

With the team, I've treated the last couple seasons as transitions and have not fooled myself that we're really something special.
I like your pts, and I think inconsistency should be expected under the circumstances.
The PK rolled out everyone at the start, and that's not treating it as special teams.
It holds a whole lot of success when you're good at it. Like, oh I don't know, Glencross.
I realize he can score, but how many did he whiff on last night?
I think it's more important to line him in conjunction with PK. He knows how to pressure the point, we need that.
Losing Cammy and Backlund was quite noticeable in the lines. But how do you put Cervenka on the 4th line for the 3rd period??
Comeau needs benching. He doesn't have the skills/nerve, whatever you wanna call it.
Wasn't a Jones fan, but at least you see 100% from him, and it's much better than Comeau's.

One last thing. Irving was like Kipper last night, had some spectaculars. Gave up 5.
When Kipper does that, can we ever get over the "time to trade him" or "Kipper's the reason we're sucking" bollocks from some?
It's the team, not the goalie much.
It's kinda good Irving gets some starts, it puts our team play into perspective.
We give up a lot of scoring chances, but we've become accustomed to Kiprusoff is supposed to save those and can make it look like another day at the office.
There is NEVER an "easy" night for the Flames goalie, no matter whom.

#4 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Issue #2[/b][/u]
While our shots on goal are way down, they mostly seem to be quality shots we are allowing. The number of goals allowed for the few shots we are letting through to the net, is unacceptable.

Part of this is goaltending, which I truly believe will get better, but alot of it is communication. Right now the Flames don't seem to have any communication or continuity in their own zone. One minute one player goes this way, the next shift he does the opposite and there is no one to cover up for him. Need to clean up their communication in their own zone and their chemistry.

Issue #3
Our PK needs some work. Heavy Work. I don't have a solution but would like to note it appears we are over extending our aggressiveness and leaving big passing lanes.

Flames need to go back to playing the box. Under Keenan this was a great PK unit who stuck to the box, forced everything to the outside and the ones that did get through Kipper is usually going to save. For whatever reason Sutter came in and started to mess with it and Hartley's gone a step further. Right now there is just no structure to their unti and they are consisantly getting caught with men high, or 3 guys will overload one side and leave a weak side PP guy wide open for a one timer. Simplify it, go back to the box and stay with it and then if you really want to tweak it later you can but for right now whatever they are trying to accomplish is NOT working. Again, goaltending is a factor here two, but mainly their PKers just seem to have no concept of where you should be or want they want to be.

i'm not disagreeing with where you are going with this thread I just wonder if the Flames are just going to be that team, or have that season, where it will always be something. Right now it's goaltending, PK, effort levels, injuries but next month it may be offence, it may be defence it may be effort levels etc. Is is a by product of a new coach and coming together, or perhaps are there just that many holes on this roster or inefficiencies/lack of continuity on this roster that's it's always going to show up in one way or another. I havn't really decided what it is yet and it still remains to be seen but I saw that as a problem for the Flames going into this year. For me, they are not quite good enough defensively to be a defensive team, they lack the center options to be a good offensive team and they lack the toughness to be a hard team to play against... Identity could be a tough thing to define for this team and if you can't find an identiy you are going to find it tough to climb your way up the standings.