Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Are The Flames A Bull Or Bear Market Stock In Your Eyes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Are The Flames A Bull Or Bear Market Stock In Your Eyes? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Bear or Bull?

1. Bear, sliding down the rankings. (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Bull, making improvements ready to take a step forward. (6 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

When you look at the team overall as the sum of its pieces and not necessarily actual results, then....

Bear Market meaning the value dropping within the overall market.

Bull Market means they are improving or poised to improve in the present market.

Note: This is an open poll. Meaning all posters can see what you vote.
There is no really accurate answer but rather just how you view the Flames as on the decline or upswing. There are so many variables a good debater could easily take eithe rside and argue it with a fair amount of accuracy.

I am not allowed to vote as I created the pol but I am a glass half full guy so would vote it is a Bull market team just making decent progress and needs a longer distance(bit of work) to get to the light at the end of the tunnel.

#2 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm of the same mindset as you DD. We're just a couple of pieces away from icing a true playoff contender again. In order to do that though either Iginla and/or Kipper have to be moved to do so. As I have mentioned in other threads sentimentality doesn't win you championships and as much as I'd like to see both of them retire as Flames at the end of the day if you can get good return on either of them then I think you have to go with trading them.

We have players in the system developing and by all indications doing well. Now whether these guys pan out is a different story. I think you have to continually build your prospect pool to stay viable in the game today and hope that you find a diamond or 2. Will it be Granlund, Jankowski or a player like Gaudreau? Only time will tell with those players. You also have to be willing to go after FA's, which Feaster and company have done with players like Hudler and Wideman.

All in all I believe Flames management have done what has needed to be done and I give them a solid B+ on their moves thus far. We'll see, in all probability, at the trade deadline just what they have in store with this team and where their vision is going.

#3 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think we're reaching the bottom of the bear market. Often the market rallies before the fundamental's support it coming out of a recession. That's where I think we're at. Still alot of volatility and it will be some time before we have sustained growth. But I don't think it gets much worse than this. A younger group has taken over.

It's not about Iggy's decline now or Kipper's decline anymore. They're really irrelevant now. Just pieces rather that core assets. That's the big differnece. It's about how quickly young players can grow rather than how faster old guys will decline.

#4 gsp393

gsp393

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I look back at feasters trades signings and draft picks and I can't help but think were going up. I see it as a minimum 5 years until we become a contender but to me its clear we are moving in that direction, and were not even taking the oilers lose to win approach or penguins dumb luck approach. If everything works out in the end we can be proud that we never threw our self respect and integrity in the garbage like our friends from the north. Lol

#5 spafybox

spafybox

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Well these last few years we have been sub par
We havent been able to improve the team because we havent been bad enough to get a high draft pick and havent been good enough to make the play offs,we have just been a mediocre middle of the table team so i think our value is down.
We wont get much for Iggy or Kipper anymore i dont even want to speculate what we would get.

I give credit to Feaster for bringing in some talent in the off season but even with that we still have not been good enough

#6 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

We wont get much for Iggy or Kipper anymore

What is your basis for this statement?

#7 spafybox

spafybox

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Their age
Kippers injury can be a recurring one his play as of late hasnt been stellar by any means

Iggy would fit in to a contender lets say Pittsburg for example
Say we traded Iggy to Pittsburg we definately wouldnt get Neal,Crosby,Malkin,Sutter,Letang or Orpik
I doubt we would get a 1st round pick,probably a 2nd round pick if we bundled the deal with another player
Also he would probably want around 7 million but using Shane Done who is getting around 4.5 million as example i think Iggy would get something in that ball park
If the Flames were to resign Iggy id say a good deal would be 4-4.5 million for 3 years i cant see them paying more than that definately not 7 million but Iggy will probably take a discount like Doan did