SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

2013 Us College Player Free Agents

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Depending on how many more backup goaltenders we sign in the next month,

This would be the time to start looking at Free Agent US College hockey players.

For the Flames, who have a gap of bad draft years until 2011, this is one of our only legitimate outlets to catch up.

I could really use some help on which of these players we're actually allowed to sign at this time, but:

Ryan Walters

Greg Carey

Nate Schmidt

I don't believe there's any of those elusive first-line centers available this year, but some pretty good prospects nonetheless.

thoughts?

#2 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

A couple of players I would like to see Calgary sign are:

Dan DeKeyser: has size at 6'3" and two way ability.

Andrej Sustr: Has even more size at 6'8" and good two way ability, just the book on him is that he doesn't use his size to punish the opposition. He also shots right.

Nate Schmidt: Solid point producer from the blueline and has a big shot.

#3 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Andrej Sustr: Has even more size at 6'8" and good two way ability, just the book on him is that he doesn't use his size to punish the opposition. He also shots right.

Yes to all three.

On Dan and Sustr, these are Exactly the kinds of players we should be signing outside of the draft, as a best practice. They are the types of players that Darryl Sutter used to spend our high picks on, and we would just hope that they'd fit the role. So much easier to let them develop, and sign the ones that DO turn out. Feaster has preached this as well, but hasn't really gone forward with it.

On Nate Schmidt: This is someone who a lot of teams probably wish they drafted. The Flames need to be aggressive in this market, they have lost time to make up for.

#4 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Other than remaining contracts, whats the reason the Flames can't or haven't picked up college free agents this year?

#5 shaner8

shaner8

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

How's bradly lamb working out lol

#6 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

How's bradly lamb working out lol

Really well?

He's the organization's best prospect for the Right-D position, and played a role in the Heat being one of the best defensive teams in the league.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/02/05/flames-future----brady-lamb

He wouldn't have been my pick, but it was a good signing.

It was a one-year contract, hardly a concern. But don't be surprised if the Flames re-sign him for next year.

#7 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,159 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Too early to really get a good list together for my liking, but I would love to get Dan Dekyser and would go all in for a player like that.

#8 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Too early to really get a good list together for my liking, but I would love to get Dan Dekyser and would go all in for a player like that.

I agree on Dekyser, but not so much on being early. Typically, all the good players are gone by the end of March, are they not? I know Schultz was available a little bit longer last year, but that was a special circumstance.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/03/28/american-prospect-update-finding-value-in-second-year-eligibles-ncaa-ushl-u18wc-updates/

Shouldn't they be Actively involved in this process, right now?

There are some players available who could have Almost and immediate impact either next season, or the season after.

For instance, Dekyser. Probably a future role player, but a damn good role player that could have a huge impact on the success of a team. I hope the Flames know who they want soon, and make an effort to get them.

#9 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,159 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I agree on Dekyser, but not so much on being early. Typically, all the good players are gone by the end of March, are they not? I know Schultz was available a little bit longer last year, but that was a special circumstance.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/03/28/american-prospect-update-finding-value-in-second-year-eligibles-ncaa-ushl-u18wc-updates/

There are some players available who could have Almost and immediate impact either next season, or the season after.

For instance, Dekyser. Probably a future role player, but a damn good role player that could have a huge impact on the success of a team. I hope the Flames know who they want soon, and make an effort to get them.

Too early for me, but I'm no scout. This process probably started years ago for the flames and yes they likely have a list but I don't get to watch a lot of college hockey son outside of Dekeyser I have no one else I know enough about to go after

#10 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I don't get to watch a lot of college hockey son

Dad?

#11 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Other than remaining contracts, whats the reason the Flames can't or haven't picked up college free agents this year?

My understanding is that teams are not allowed to sign college players until the college season ends and they declare to their school that they are not coming back. [After 4 years they are ineligible to keep playing so it has the same effect]. That is why the end of March is where the signings start. Because they have to declare themselves ineligible for NCAA before NHL teams can talk to them, generally only top prospects who are virtually guaranteed to get a contract leave school early. So most [all] of the guys unsigned midway through April are kids who graduated rather then guys who left school early.

#12 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Going to take a guess and say they can't talk to college players until the season is over.

Edit: I now see Poker had a indpeth explaination above.

#13 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Tick....Tick....Tick...

5 weeks left.

Rules aside, there is no way...no way at all, that all the top US college players dont have agents which are currently Actively putting things in motion which will determine the future home of these players.

Yes, the Flames have made some signings here...mostly AHL-quality talent.

I have yet to see the Flames land a big fish in this Arena. And I cant think of anything else which should be more on their minds right now than doing so. I can only hope they are trying, as I write this, to determine who they want and how to acquire them. The talent is there this year to change the future of this team. No centers, unfortunately, but we have a lot of other missing pieces in our future this this could resolve.

#14 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

...Rules aside, there is no way...no way at all, that all the top US college players dont have agents which are currently Actively putting things in motion which will determine the future home of these players...

Putting any and all conspiracy theories aside, it is expressly banned for that to happen. Some of the consequences can include lifetime bans for the players as soon as their is even a wiff they are going professional. If it comes out in later years teams can have any wins they got while said player was with them stripped, or lose titles. If it is found to be willful and systemic ignorance by the teams they can even get banned from competing for as many years as the NCAA decides is necessary. So Colleges take it pretty seriously for the most part.

By definition "professional" means your getting paid for your abilities, cash or otherwise. The NCAA is so strict about it that when college guys come to prospect camps, they need to pay their own way. If the flames pay for flights/hotels, or anything, for what is essentially a really high end hockey school, the players are ineligible to go back to college. Individual players cannot even accept a stick from Easton (college teams may have deals in place). CHL players are ineligible to play in the NCAA because their 4k a year (or whatever it is) stipend makes them "professionals" in the NCAA's eyes. (the CHL is trying to get that changed).

Agents work on commission, and are their to represent/get their clients paid. Plausible deny-ability goes out the window if you officially have an agent. (why do you need an agent to manage your ZERO cash flow?). Plus, a professional agent creates a paper trail.

I believe the NHL also has an agreement with the NCAA which would see teams get in trouble (fines/picks as decided by the commissioner) if they try to recruit players before they are allowed to.

Now, all that aside, you better believe that NCAA coaches are pumping their players tires to league contacts, and vice versa. As well as other indirect recruitment going on where teams mention to their players/prospects how nice it would be for college player X to sign with them. and maybe their players should talk to their buddies about how awesome it is to play for team X after they left school/how awesome they are being treated while in school, how fun it would be to continue playing together after graduating, etc. and other gray area's. The closest thing to an agent may be mom or dad.

I agree, it would be gross negligence on the part of Feaster and co. if they are not putting their wish list together and checking it twice. Considering the effort they put into Janko I am not overly concerned about that.

But I would be willing to bet almost anything that the absolute most we here before the window opens is that team X has an "interest" in player Y. Even that will most likely come because scouts/management is showing up at games and people realize 2+2=4. Especially with a GM like Feaster who holds his cards to his chest. If a team comes out and officially says they are looking at a player it could be considering tampering. Of all the GM's, only Burke seemed to not care about that one in recent memory.

#15 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Another couple of guys to look at would be:

Antoine Laganière: A 6'4" center with Yale. Is a point a game player in the last two years. Plus the Canucks are scouting this guy and it would be nice to be able sign him instead of them.

Eriah Hayes: Another big guy at 6'4". He's a RW with Minnesota State who has 18 goals in 32 games this year.

#16 cmpdave

cmpdave

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I can't help but wonder how our current contract status (49 of 50 i believe) will effect how competitive we are in this area.

#17 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Putting any and all conspiracy theories aside, it is expressly banned for that to happen. Some of the consequences can include lifetime bans for the players as soon as their is even a wiff they are going professional. If it comes out in later years teams can have any wins they got while said player was with them stripped, or lose titles. If it is found to be willful and systemic ignorance by the teams they can even get banned from competing for as many years as the NCAA decides is necessary. So Colleges take it pretty seriously for the most part.

By definition "professional" means your getting paid for your abilities, cash or otherwise. The NCAA is so strict about it that when college guys come to prospect camps, they need to pay their own way. If the flames pay for flights/hotels, or anything, for what is essentially a really high end hockey school, the players are ineligible to go back to college. Individual players cannot even accept a stick from Easton (college teams may have deals in place). CHL players are ineligible to play in the NCAA because their 4k a year (or whatever it is) stipend makes them "professionals" in the NCAA's eyes. (the CHL is trying to get that changed).

Agents work on commission, and are their to represent/get their clients paid. Plausible deny-ability goes out the window if you officially have an agent. (why do you need an agent to manage your ZERO cash flow?). Plus, a professional agent creates a paper trail.

I believe the NHL also has an agreement with the NCAA which would see teams get in trouble (fines/picks as decided by the commissioner) if they try to recruit players before they are allowed to.

Now, all that aside, you better believe that NCAA coaches are pumping their players tires to league contacts, and vice versa. As well as other indirect recruitment going on where teams mention to their players/prospects how nice it would be for college player X to sign with them. and maybe their players should talk to their buddies about how awesome it is to play for team X after they left school/how awesome they are being treated while in school, how fun it would be to continue playing together after graduating, etc. and other gray area's. The closest thing to an agent may be mom or dad.

I agree, it would be gross negligence on the part of Feaster and co. if they are not putting their wish list together and checking it twice. Considering the effort they put into Janko I am not overly concerned about that.

But I would be willing to bet almost anything that the absolute most we here before the window opens is that team X has an "interest" in player Y. Even that will most likely come because scouts/management is showing up at games and people realize 2+2=4. Especially with a GM like Feaster who holds his cards to his chest. If a team comes out and officially says they are looking at a player it could be considering tampering. Of all the GM's, only Burke seemed to not care about that one in recent memory.

Thanks for the detailed info Pokernhockey,

That's a lot to take in. I'm not exactly sure what to make of all of it...but I guess I have a better sense of what's happening in the next month. I truly hope they are on top of this.

#18 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

I can't help but wonder how our current contract status (49 of 50 i believe) will effect how competitive we are in this area.

I believe you're right, we have on contract left. IMHO, this is where to use it. Especially since we're more likely sellers than buyers (if anything) at the trade deadline.

There are numerous minor-leaguers we can buy out if have to.

But yeah, this is exactly where the double-goaltender signing hurts.

#19 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

I think there's a pretty good chance that the last contract will be spent on Ramo

#20 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think there's a pretty good chance that the last contract will be spent on Ramo

I would like to see us shed a few contracts in the next month or so. Trade Irving for a pick. Or package Irving and someone else for one player or multiple picks. We have a few guys on the farm taking up space that will never get the chance to play.