SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Survivorman

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Survivorman (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you watched it?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I have been a fan of the outdoors for years. Camping, bushcraft, fishing, etc. They are all amazingly fun and and give you the feeling of adventure. There is nothing worse than being stuck inside day after day playing video games and watching tv, however, I admit, I get hung up on watching Nat Geo, Animal Planet, and any form of Survival/Nature show (minus the redneck americans on youtube) which means sitting inside. Kind of an oxy-moron. :unsure:

I started with Man vs Wild as a friend recommended the show, and it was entertaining, but it seemed scripted. Also, there is a tv crew running around filming the "survivor" which makes no sense to me. Turns out most of it was a hoax and written specifically for tv. Yes there were some things to take note of from the famed Bear Grylls, but his style of "Take life threatening risks whenever you can" doesn't sit well wtih me. I enjoy a bit of realism.

In comes Les Stroud in SURVIVORMAN. I enjoy him because he does all the camera work himself. He doesn't have a film crew, unlike the above mentioned Bear Grylls. He takes situations and shows real survival skills, not shoving your manhood/womanhood in the face of the wilderness. A big plus to the show and to Les Stroud is that he is Canadian. :D

I don't know. I can't get enough of the show, and is turning into one of my personal cult classics alongside Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

Anyone watch it?

#2 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Big fan here too... unfortunately there hasn't been a new episode in quite some time.

#3 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Watched him a fair bit. He was doing a different show now, living with some isolated jungle type villages. Maybe he ran into some cannibals and they turned him into soup.

#4 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Big fan here too... unfortunately there hasn't been a new episode in quite some time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/tv/story/2008/11/07/survivorman-tv.html

Man, I didn't realize he wanted out. That sucks.

Les Stroud soup, there goes his sponsorships... :lol:

#5 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

SURVIVORMAN 10 DAYS

This isn't the show I was talking about above:

Posted Image
http://www.oln.ca/otherinfo.php?id=38&infoid=85

#6 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

SURVIVORMAN 10 DAYS

This isn't the show I was talking about above:

Posted Image
http://www.oln.ca/otherinfo.php?id=38&infoid=85

Ah, I figured it was the same show, just with 10 days instead of 7. I watched the desert island ep. already, it was pretty good.

#7 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

about out dooring. I like high altitude, thus Calgary. I love how this ecosystem mutates my blood. And thus I want to save up to go to Nepal to do some eco tourism-volunteering, to help villages with engineering (ie. Being a ditch digger hippy volunteer). There are some here in America in the Rockies. 

I had an interesting talk with my dental nurse. She and her husband have some very cheap land in one of those mountain villages on the BC, Alberta, Montana border triangle. I've looked up land in America you can get a lot with house and electricity and lake for like 50,000! (this is because of their economic troubles). So I figure. perhaps I get a place in California. So I can become survivor bunker. lol. like she said she got a 6 acre property near lake (like she described it as 20 houses (suburbia). Might be worth the investment, to get one of those lands. 

My brother's ex girlfriend has a cabin her dad and brothers bulit on this ranch land, (complete with creek), it's in Sundre (bear berry). Beautiful land, lots of back country (logger's oil roads those are actually good things, because it allows access to forests for recreation). The foothills of Alberta are nice..... Sure it doesn't look big on a map, but it's big... The Mustard Seed's retreat "Mountain Aire" lodge is in that area. (It suffered a fire accident, and was being rebuilt). It was formerly a truck stop, now it's a motel for workers, a retreat hall, and the HQ of 3 ajoining provincial parks. The intent is to get some of the homeless out of the city, to recover.. 

I think if I had a little bit of land. I'd like to do something like that. or like some of the land used to grow crops for the poor (for homeless shelters). perhaps donate some of it to Scouts.