SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Banned From Facebook.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 UKFlamer

UKFlamer

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

The other day I posted this comment on the calgary facebook page.

"Some tickets to a team that plays well would be nice. Last games have been shockingly poor to watch. I can handle losing, but crap hockey - no thanks."

It would seem that this was enough to get me banned. Anyone else been banned for not being on the rah rah bandwagon?

#2 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

The other day I posted this comment on the calgary facebook page.

"Some tickets to a team that plays well would be nice. Last games have been shockingly poor to watch. I can handle losing, but crap hockey - no thanks."

It would seem that this was enough to get me banned. Anyone else been banned for not being on the rah rah bandwagon?

Not sure what you expected from your comments? Cake? Free drinks?
As for4 facebook I got rid of mine a while ago. Too many exploits and a very unfriendly games user section. I had a second account banned there for it being a second account(different email used). Go figure.

Don't botehr to go the review of your banning you won't overturn it.

#3 UKFlamer

UKFlamer

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Not sure what you expected from your comments? Cake? Free drinks?
As for4 facebook I got rid of mine a while ago. Too many exploits and a very unfriendly games user section. I had a second account banned there for it being a second account(different email used). Go figure.

Don't botehr to go the review of your banning you won't overturn it.

Pfft not interested in a review - if you get banned for saying you dont want to see crap hockey then they can keep their page to themselves, but cake and free drinks would have been nice.

#4 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Some websites advocate free speech, others do not. At least we can be thankful that this website does.

They would probably classify your post as profanity due to the "crap" word.

Of course, if you said "Any entertainment other than the Flames is crap"...they'd be much less likely to notice.

More than likely, it was not an actual Flames employee that banned you. They probably have too many minions designated as admins, and not enough experience/training among them to always make the right call.

Also, there are probably more serious marketing dollars put towards that facebook page than places such as ...this forum, for instance. As such, they're looking to maximize their ROI.

I've been very happy with the Flames forum over the past two years, and I hope they continue to allow us to post our thoughts. I attribute it to:

-excellent, intelligent, experienced admins (some of which have become very vocal and honest themselves)
-a more "mature" technology (forums have been around for over two decades now)
-"In the Beginning"...forums were very immaturely handled, much like facebook is now.
-Now, forums are highly evolved, administration and culture-wise
-less marketing pressure. This forum used to be the Flame's #1 investment in internet marketing.
-Now, it is almost an afterthought. Basically, they pay a very minimum fee to keep it running
-The expectation of an ROI for this site is thus minimal, as is damage control
-Truth be told, this site is probably almost a volunteer-based site now.

In conclusion, follow DirtyDeed's advice. Stay away from facebook.

I am a long-time forum administrator and developer myself.

I can tell you that in no way have I Ever offered my services on this forum, for three reasons:

1. I'm too controversial and emotional about the Flames to be an effective admin on this topic
2. The work involved in maintaining a site like this is Astronomical....you have no idea
My guess is that this site is mostly ran on a volunteer basis.
The fact that we only see the occasional spam which is quickly removed...you Can't Imagine the effort that goes into things like that.
Merging, Joining, Archiving, Locking, Deleting, Reviewing, Negotiating, Editing
Repeating all of the above Over and Over and Over and Over and Over
Doing so without hating everyone or shooting yourself
Appearing calm and rational
3. This site has evolved into a highly effective communication tool for people who are passionate and intellectual about the Flames. There's nothing I could offer at this point that isn't already here. It's first-class. There is more freedom on here, and far better administration, than independent flames fan forums. That's a rare feat for a corporately-funded site.

In conclusion...follow DirtyDeed's advice. Stay away from facebook. Stick to here. Pray that forums don't become Uber-popular again, and the marketing department doesn't jump in.

And in my opinion, some of the volunteer efforts on this forum should be recognized. And should possibly include donations.

#5 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

but cake and free drinks would have been nice.

Thanks man, coffee on the screen and keyboard moment...
I banned myself from facebook after every girl from the periphery of me entire existence spammed my email for friendship.
Wish I was so consequential back in the day...

#6 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Also, there are probably more serious marketing dollars put towards that facebook page than places such as ...this forum, for instance. As such, they're looking to maximize their ROI.

I've been very happy with the Flames forum over the past two years, and I hope they continue to allow us to post our thoughts. I attribute it to:

-excellent, intelligent, experienced admins (some of which have become very vocal and honest themselves)
-a more "mature" technology (forums have been around for over two decades now)
-"In the Beginning"...forums were very immaturely handled, much like facebook is now.
-Now, forums are highly evolved, administration and culture-wise
-less marketing pressure. This forum used to be the Flame's #1 investment in internet marketing.
-Now, it is almost an afterthought. Basically, they pay a very minimum fee to keep it running
-The expectation of an ROI for this site is thus minimal, as is damage control
-Truth be told, this site is probably almost a volunteer-based site now.

In conclusion, follow DirtyDeed's advice. Stay away from facebook.

I am a long-time forum administrator and developer myself.

I can tell you that in no way have I Ever offered my services on this forum, for three reasons:

1. I'm too controversial and emotional about the Flames to be an effective admin on this topic
2. The work involved in maintaining a site like this is Astronomical....you have no idea
My guess is that this site is mostly ran on a volunteer basis.
The fact that we only see the occasional spam which is quickly removed...you Can't Imagine the effort that goes into things like that.
Merging, Joining, Archiving, Locking, Deleting, Reviewing, Negotiating, Editing
Repeating all of the above Over and Over and Over and Over and Over
Doing so without hating everyone or shooting yourself
Appearing calm and rational
3. This site has evolved into a highly effective communication tool for people who are passionate and intellectual about the Flames. There's nothing I could offer at this point that isn't already here. It's first-class. There is more freedom on here, and far better administration, than independent flames fan forums. That's a rare feat for a corporately-funded site.

In conclusion...follow DirtyDeed's advice. Stay away from facebook. Stick to here. Pray that forums don't become Uber-popular again, and the marketing department doesn't jump in.

And in my opinion, some of the volunteer efforts on this forum should be recognized. And should possibly include donations.

Good on you, this forum should be way better and more populated due to what you're saying, imho.

#7 Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

I was suspended once from posting here for suggesting that one of the mods "stop acting so boorishly."

Yeah, I said boorish. 

Love.