Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Toronto Blue Jays

116 posts in this topic

I think Darren Oliver and Rajai Davis will be the most likely traded because of what they can bring to a contending club and they are pending free agents.

Emilio Bonifacio might draw some interest as well because of his speed and versatility and the fact that he is also a pending free agent.

Josh Johnson is another free agent but his struggles this year might scare some teams away, but you never know a team in the NL might pick him up thinking that he might be better suited for the NL.

I think I would be listening to offers for Lind, McGowan, Rasmus and DeRosa as well.

I think Darren Oliver and Rajai Davis will be the most likely traded because of what they can bring to a contending club and they are pending free agents.

Emilio Bonifacio might draw some interest as well because of his speed and versatility and the fact that he is also a pending free agent.

Josh Johnson is another free agent but his struggles this year might scare some teams away, but you never know a team in the NL might pick him up thinking that he might be better suited for the NL.

I think I would be listening to offers for Lind, McGowan, Rasmus and DeRosa as well.

I wouldn't be looking to deal Rasmus unless it was an absolute steal.  Sure his ups and downs and strikeouts can be frustrating, but at the moment he is the only option in CF as Anthony Gose was really the guy who could make Rasmus expendable hasn't done anything to do so.  I still think the ceiling for Rasmus is a little higher and think he can still reach it, the main issue with him is confidence and he's seemed to get that a little more settled this year.

I now the deadline has passed, but just on Rasmus he has been pretty fantastic for the last month and really outside of his start he's been pretty good. He seems to really have responsed well to Motollo as the hitting coach so I agree you wait for him him at this point because if he keeps this up he will definitely have arrived and that's a very good package to have.

So the non waiver trade deadline is coming up, the Jays should be looking to make some moves. Rumors have the Rays willing to move David Price and willing to trade him in the division. The Jays should be all over the Rays to get this guy.

The Jays haven't had an ace since they traded Hallladay, Price is an ace, he is familiar with the division and has post season experience.

At this point I'd wait and see where they're at by the end of the month because if the slide continues and they find themselves over 5 games out they may need to look the other way and maybe move out some expiring contracts like Cabrera and maybe see if they can get a steal on either Dickey or Buehrle.  I'd like Price, but the cost would scare me off a little bit, the rumours are that talks with the Cubs for Samardzija would have cost Stroman and Sanchez.  Sanchez year has been a little off so I maybe fine with him, but I really like Stroman.  The only way I'd see them not wanting both is if they want another young current pitcher which would be Hutch.  If I was negotiating with them I'd do what I could to get Zobrist thrown in as well.  Not necessarily a trade that I would do, but one that could maybe get that would be Stroman, Sanchez, Nolin and DJ Davis for Price and Zobrist.

This has just been a weird season, because they have really only had about 3-4 weeks of unbelievable ball a run close to that of the '02 A's, but that A's team didn't surround their run with mediocre or bad baseball like this Jays team.  In ways the Jays are just lucky that the rest of the east has been poor.  The team just seems cursed by the injury bug and Bautista, Lawrie, Reyes and Rasmus can't get a full year without missing a fair bit of time, add in Izturis, Lind and Encarnacion and it really challenges the depth of the organization.  Watching this series with the A's and the difference between the two clubs is quite apparent, both teams imo have the personnel to be great teams, the A's are just fundamentally a better team and imo the fundamentals come from the managers.  Melvin >>> Gibbons.  I'm kinda torn, I'd hate to see the talent of the team save his job, but I want to see at the very least some meaningful games the last week of the season.

Price would be great but not the number one target. Jays bigger problem is their offence and bullpen IMO. Their offence is based around hitting the home run and even the best home run hitter is going to slump. Need a guy who can hit for a bit of avg and specifically someone who can hit lefties. That's their bigger need to I'd target that rather then give up high quality prospects for a starter.

Why does Gibbons keep putting Juan "The Rally Killer" Francisco in the lineup? The guy can't hit he has no hustle or heart. Lind and Double E need to get back so Francisco can be sent back to Buffalo.

Why does Gibbons keep putting Juan "The Rally Killer" Francisco in the lineup? The guy can't hit he has no hustle or heart. Lind and Double E need to get back so Francisco can be sent back to Buffalo.

Gibbons is just a terrible manager period, the sad thing is if there is no playoff game and Rogers lets the injuries be an excuse for AA then Gibby will also be safe.  Thats why they need to make it, the only way I can tolerate more Gibby is if there is at least one playoff game.  As for Francisco, he is basically Cerrano from Major League, good power but can't hit the curve.  Had a good start but I think the AL adjusted and he's basically useless now can't hit, can't run, can't field but because he hit a bunch of homers in May he'll likely survive a demotion when Lind and EE get back, someone else like Goins, Kawasaki or Tolleson will get sent instead and Francisco and Valencia will platoon at third even though Valencia is better all-round.

Gibbons is just a terrible manager period, the sad thing is if there is no playoff game and Rogers lets the injuries be an excuse for AA then Gibby will also be safe.  Thats why they need to make it, the only way I can tolerate more Gibby is if there is at least one playoff game.  As for Francisco, he is basically Cerrano from Major League, good power but can't hit the curve.  Had a good start but I think the AL adjusted and he's basically useless now can't hit, can't run, can't field but because he hit a bunch of homers in May he'll likely survive a demotion when Lind and EE get back, someone else like Goins, Kawasaki or Tolleson will get sent instead and Francisco and Valencia will platoon at third even though Valencia is better all-round.

TODAY WAS A SICK GAME 19 INNINGS

TODAY WAS A SICK GAME 19 INNINGS

It shouldn't have gone that long. Gibbons should have kept Valencia in the game instead of Francisco. He also made a huge mistake when he pinch ran for Navarro. He is one of the hottest hitters right ran now and Gibbons put a pitcher in to run for him, Navarro is a clutch hitter and I would have kept him in the game. Also what if Stroman had injured himself running the bases, then we would have lost our best starter.

It shouldn't have gone that long. Gibbons should have kept Valencia in the game instead of Francisco. He also made a huge mistake when he pinch ran for Navarro. He is one of the hottest hitters right ran now and Gibbons put a pitcher in to run for him, Navarro is a clutch hitter and I would have kept him in the game. Also what if Stroman had injured himself running the bases, then we would have lost our best starter.

true

Gibbons is brutal I agree I thought it was a terribly decision to hire him and he hasn't disappointed. The injuries are part of it sure but there is no excuse for the ups and downs this season has had and there is zero excuse to lose a series to the Houston Astros when you are in the middle of pennant race. I don't think the jays are going to make the playoffs and I think the Astros series is the one you'll point to as turning the season for the negative.

The jays are too obsessed with power and that's why Francisco stays in gibbons was like that in his last reign as manager he just wants to wait for the one swing. There are rumors that the flames could have has chase Hedley for a package including Francisco and a couple of lower ranked prospects which if that is true and the jays didn't takes it everyone should be fired. I like AA at first but I'm starting to waiver. Yes he's brought the jays along to at least be relevant and competitive but it doesn't make sense to me that the were is aggressive two years ago bad then every since they've been afraid to make the big move it would appear. I think it's ridiculous that they made no moves at the waiver deadline when they needed so much help.

What a great start to the off season for the Jays.

Bringing in Russell Martin was a huge addition for a team with so much young pitching. Martin should help those pitchers improve and develop their games as he is one the best defensive catchers in the game. He is also one the best game callers and pitch framers in the game. Everything that he does with the bat is the cherry on top of the Sunday.

The trade for Josh Donaldson was pure genius. Donaldson is the best 3rd baseman in the league. He is a gold glove caliber defneder. He hit 29 homers playing half of his games in that pitcher friendly park in Oakland, so that number should go north of 30 in Toronto. Only Mike Trout has had a better WAR the last two seasons.

Giving up Lawrie is tough to see, but Donaldson is such a huge upgrade that we will all forget about Lawrie soon enough. Barreto is the other big piece to the trade, he might have been the best position prospect in the system. Graveman and Nolin are both back of the rotation starters, so not too much of loss there.

Next up bring back Melky Cabrera or sign one of Nori Aoki or Nick Markakis, Markakis might be my favorite of the three. It would also be nice to see the Jays go get Lester or Shields, they have no chance of getting Max Scherzer as he is represented by Scott Boras and the Jays don't have a good working relationship with Boras.

Losing Lawrie was tough to see, but at the end of the day the guy couldn't stay on the field.  Donaldson is definitely intriguing, he put up excellent numbers playing in more pitcher friendly parks in the AL west, coming to a more hitter friendly east could bring up a spike.  Martin is also a solid pick up, his average throughout the years has been up and down, but despite that he is an excellent backstop.  They definitely need to add to the outfield. Either centre or left, like to see Melky back but don't want to overspend on him either as he has had some durability issues.  Markakis even though he is a right fielder like Jose I think could slide into centre as he has played there before.  I'm not afraid of having a competition between Pillar and Pompey for the other spot.  2B is another spot to look into, Travis does look like a solid pickup, I guess if he isn't ready they won't be killed having Izturis, Kawasaki or Goins there either.  As for the rotation, Shields postseason really scared me about giving him the big bucks, I don't think he was very good and the key to the Royals run was the bullpen.  Which is the main area the Jays need improvement, last season the righty relievers to start the year were Jeffress, Rogers, Santos, Redmond and Delabar, only Redmond finished the season with the club, add that the closer is likely gone and the bullpen just has lefties in Cecil and Loup.  Sanchez was good in the pen, but he is too good of an arm to just settle there right now, would like to see him given a shot a spot in the rotation.  Its hard to duplicate what KC did with their pen last year, but it is a big area for improvement for the Jays, but it is a key area that can separate teams.  Baltimore also had an excellent pen, a key which helped separate them from the pack in the east last year.

I was very critical of AA last offseason, and still confused they you go from being aggressive to quiet and then back to aggressive again but so be it, but he's been fantastic this offseason. I really like the Russell Martin signing even if the money and term are a bit high but at least they back loaded the contract to allow them to compete know and I don't think the $ will matter in 4/5 years. I agree with above that Martin is going to be huge on a staff that is likely going to be very young this year so to get a guy like Martin is such a huge move given the makeup of the Jays.

The Donaldson trade was another excellent move and to get him without having to give up one of their top pitching prospects was very well done. I think if you were in a perfect world, Donaldson right now is what you would hope Lawrie would become so to swap the two is awesome. not to say I don't like Lawire as I did but the fact is not only was he constantly hurt you could see a lot of holes in his offense and his approach to the plate which yes he could figure out but the Jays can't really afford to wait anymore if they want to end that playoff drought.

I think two moves that are not getting enough credit too are the Michael Saunders and Justin Smoak acquisitions. What I love the most out of the Jays offseason is that they are vastly impoving their defence (which imo is the 2nd highest reason behind the bullpen as to what the Jays were not a playoff team) and also they are getting low cost options that may not look great to some but they are moving players that have not been in positive situations and putting them in one. Both Saunders and Smoak dont' have numbers that will blow you away in terms of power numbers, hits etc but both have a huge amount of talent and I think moving them to the Rogers Center and a very hitter friendly bull park is a sweet move. The Jays have more flexability, better defence and really havn't sacrificed from any areas to get there except a couple prospects and I would argue they only gave up 1 great prospect in the Donaldson trade. The bullpen still needs at least 2 arms IMO but I think there are plenty of options for that and if they get there I think they will be very competitive next year but mostly importantly will be a much more complete team.

The Jays are putting all the pieces together. They could still use a 2B and bull pen help. I suppose Travis could be put at 2B but I dislike the idea of relying on a rookie to put up good numbers.

An what a ride this has been since the trade deadline. As much as I love the Flames they might end up taking a backseat to the Jays in October. They are on pace to make the playoffs for the first time in 22 years and they have a good enough team to go all the way.

After the deadline I was still quite skeptical.  Sure Price, Tulo, Revere and Lowe were excellent additions, but at the time hovering around .500 for a month or so, the team hadn't quite convinced me that they were going to take the next step, plus if recent history had taught me anything was that the Jays typically suck in August.  What's been a huge key imo isn't just the additions but the turnaround of some of the more tenured Jays.  Both Bautista and EE were looking at down years from previous, then boom August hits and their production on the year will likely meet expectations.  Dickey has had his best stretch as a Jay post all-star break.  Right now there are no passengers on this team, 1-9 they are getting either great consistent hitting from the top guys or solid defence and timely hits by guys like Smoak, Goins and Pillar.  Rotation and pen hurt them early but they have really turned it around since June.  Even with the big name additions the team has still had plenty of pleasant surprises like Estrada, Collabella's bat, Hendricks and Shultz in the pen and of course Osuna's rise.  It's funny that at the beginning of the year that most media predicted Castro would eventually become the closer of the future and Osuna would eventually need more seasoning in the minors

I became a Jays fan in the early 90s and was just old enough to remember how they were a Canadian story just not a Toronto story and through all of this the best part for me is that is back. It's not just Toronto that is going nuts for the jays it's everyone. I don't think I've been out with friends or at any sort of function in the last few weeks where he jays have not become a topic of discussion. Even if you arnt fans of the team you are intrigued by then and it's awesome.

They've got all the pieces and with they way they are playing I should be pumped but for me I still have a bit of doubt. I'm not sur it's because thaey have teased so much in the past and eventually flamed out when it mattered or what but for some reason I'm not ready to buy into them checking from behind a World Series favorite but if they keep playing this way they will be right there. The bats and Price get all of the attention, but the two biggest upgrades for me at their defence and their bullpen. I think that is what could make the real different between contender to pretender and wild card to winning he division. They finally can win those close games that you can't when your bullpen is subpar and your defence is not top notch.

Well, the Jays won out the double header yesterday, sending the Yankees and their fans packing with tears in their eyes.  I didn't get a chance to watch the second game, but the first was crazy.  The result at the end was the complete breakdown of a rookie pitcher on the Yanks which led to him walking in 4 runs via loaded bases.  I felt bad for him.

The Jays are atop the American League in the standings now with a 4.5 game lead.

Well, the Jays won out the double header yesterday, sending the Yankees and their fans packing with tears in their eyes.  I didn't get a chance to watch the second game, but the first was crazy.  The result at the end was the complete breakdown of a rookie pitcher on the Yanks which led to him walking in 4 runs via loaded bases.  I felt bad for him.

The Jays are atop the American League in the standings now with a 4.5 game lead.

I actually think it was exactly what Greg Zaun said, he was scared of them. I don't think it was a breakdown at all becuase if you watch it wasn't like the pitchers were completely missing their spots. the problem was they were pitching scared and were doing all the could to avoid going either over the plate, or inside to any of the Jays hitters. If you do that you better we 100% on point with it, and he mised by a few inches here and there. I think the reputation of the Jays offence got them those walks and eventually won them the game. Wasn't a fantastic managing job by Girardi to leave so many rookies in, but his pen was also pretty short at that point.

I actually think it was exactly what Greg Zaun said, he was scared of them. I don't think it was a breakdown at all becuase if you watch it wasn't like the pitchers were completely missing their spots. the problem was they were pitching scared and were doing all the could to avoid going either over the plate, or inside to any of the Jays hitters. If you do that you better we 100% on point with it, and he mised by a few inches here and there. I think the reputation of the Jays offence got them those walks and eventually won them the game. Wasn't a fantastic managing job by Girardi to leave so many rookies in, but his pen was also pretty short at that point.

Understandable, and yeah, I saw that he was afraid to throw the straight fastball. But I would classify that as a breakdown. And if you remember, about 3 to 4 of his last pitches hit the dirt. I still felt bad for him. He had half of NY booing him and he was visibly upset.

Understandable, and yeah, I saw that he was afraid to throw the straight fastball. But I would classify that as a breakdown. And if you remember, about 3 to 4 of his last pitches hit the dirt. I still felt bad for him. He had half of NY booing him and he was visibly upset.

Yes, they were in the dirt becuase he was afraid to throw his fastball and he kept throwing breaking balls. He was doing everything he could to avoid giving any of the Jays a pitch they could hit. when he pitched the bottom part of the Jays order he looks fine, it wasn't unitl the big guys (or Gaunlet as somoene call it) came up that suddenly he was all over the place. Revere got such a clutch hit in that situation becuase at that point i thought he was pitching just fine and was being tough on the Jays but Revere's hit turned the lineup over and brought up the big guys. all it should have taken was 1, maybe 2 walks, for Girardi to realize the kids coudln't handle the situation but as I said the Yankees bullpen at the time was pretty shot so he may not have had alot of options. I think the kid figured hey if I walk in a run or two its better then a 3 run homer....

I feel bad to a point, becuase i think he was in a spot he shouldn't have been in it but it is the big leagues. if you consider yourself a big league pitcher you have to be prepared to face guys like Donaldson, Bautista etc. Can't pitch scared.

The guy I feel bad for is Pillar. He is getting blamed by most of Canada for injuring Tulo. It was a fluke play, where it was actually Pillar's ball.

The guy I feel bad for is Pillar. He is getting blamed by most of Canada for injuring Tulo. It was a fluke play, where it was actually Pillar's ball.

This the one downside of the recent Jays surge and that is a ton of fans that have never really followed baseball before that now are "fans". Same thing happend in 04 for the Flames as well and don't get me wrong i'd rather have the following then not, but I agree stuff like this happens. Pillar did absolutely nothing wrong and in fact it was Tulo who made the wrong play. Tulo claims to have not heard Pillar so its just an unfortuate play, but for a guy who is playing playing gold glove cablire D at a premium position he taks way too much heat from fans. He's had a great season and in fact is behind only Donaldson, Bautista, EE and martin when it comes to wins above recplacement. he's technically been more valuable then Tulo, Devon Travis, Chris Collabello, etc etc.