Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Toronto Blue Jays

116 posts in this topic

I'm annoyed by how Sportsnet is milking this Blue Jays run for all its worth.  They just played the Jays vs Braves world series re-run yesterday evening... after re-playing the Jays vs Phillies series the days before.  And we'll probably see both re-ran again and again and again every single night until the end of the month. 

I'm annoyed by how Sportsnet is milking this Blue Jays run for all its worth.  They just played the Jays vs Braves world series re-run yesterday evening... after re-playing the Jays vs Phillies series the days before.  And we'll probably see both re-ran again and again and again every single night until the end of the month. 

It's pretty good business though. Since the Tulo and Price trades Jays games have been drawing as many viewers, and in some cases more, as a major hockey game would.

I get it can be annoying but I think its sound buisness. Plus i'm hoping that all the extra revenue can convince Rogers to open up the purse string and bring back Daivd Price! :D

And the games, Man... Downtown is crazy. They're selling out, and that's almost 50000 people. Plus, there are still hundreds just hanging around and walking around downtown. It's actually a really good thing, albeit a traffic nightmare.

Love.

These last few games have been exciting.  Baseball?  Exciting?  Who would have thought...

Comeback upon comeback, and some pretty stellar plays too.  By the way, Pillar hit the plate yesterday.  That was the wrong call to tag him out.

And now the draught is over.  In my younger days I never thought much of the '85, '89 and '91 teams because they didn't do what the '92 and '93 teams did, but the pain of the last 22 years has shown me that just making the playoffs can be tough.  The '93 Expos are a good example, they had 1 less win than the World Series Champion Jays, yet even if the division realignment that happened the next year happened in that season they still would have only finished 3rd in the East and out of the playoffs.  Since the realignment the Jays have become the last of all 30 teams to reach the post season.  With the Royals and Jays winning their divisions, only the Pirates (still with a slight chance to end it this year), Rockies and Marlins (2 World Series in that span) have yet to win their division.  This is the season I've been waiting on for a long time and one I'll definitely cherish forever.

The one thing I thought was unattainable this year was catching the Royals, back when they played after the deadline I was only worried about ensuring a wildcard spot and maybe making for a division chase.  That said I don't know if I'd rather play the winner of the west or the winner of the wild card which could be the Yanks.  I think the Rangers provide an better match up, but if the Yanks burn Tanaka in the wild card game it would likely limit him to one start in the ALDS, and he's been the killer for them lately.  As for the Jays rotation I'm kind of torn, obviously its a time to cut down to 4, maybe even three.  If it's 4, Price, Stroman and Dickey are all locks, but do you count on Buehrle's experience or go with Estrada who has pitched better this season, but hasn't pitched this much before.

Congrats to the Blue Jays for making the playoffs. They certainly have this country's attention including the rest of the baseball world. Their sights should now be focused on the finishing first in the American League.

I'm a tad confused watching this celebration on tv this evening. It looks like a World Series win celebration when in fact they have won nothing....yet.

Baseball needs to take a page from the NHL and learn when a celebration of this type is done. Hold the champagne boys, you've won nothing, the regular season is not even over yet. Let's stay focused boys and try to win the American League first, then the playoffs, then the World Series, THEN the champagne.

Congrats to the Blue Jays for making the playoffs. They certainly have this country's attention including the rest of the baseball world. Their sights should now be focused on the finishing first in the American League.

I'm a tad confused watching this celebration on tv this evening. It looks like a World Series win celebration when in fact they have won nothing....yet.

Baseball needs to take a page from the NHL and learn when a celebration of this type is done. Hold the champagne boys, you've won nothing, the regular season is not even over yet. Let's stay focused boys and try to win the American League first, then the playoffs, then the World Series, THEN the champagne.

It's so hard to make the playoffs in the MLB that making the playoffs means something.  I wish the NHL was like that.

Win the division is baseball is IMO a greater achievement then winning the division in hockey. You play double the amount of games, you play with almost no days off, and historically the only way you use to make the playoffs was winning the division so there is a much greater stigma IMO to win the division in baseball than in Hockey.

That aside, I disagree. I think celebrating success along the way are imporant to any team. When the Flames clinched, they talked pretty openly that there was a celebration heading their way too we just dind't see it on live TV like you do with baseball. Its more behind the scences but I do not believe for a second that the Flames didn't celebrate making the playoffs last year. I don't think it can be all about the destiantion, you have to enjoy the journey. I do agree you can't lose your focus but keep in mind that just about every player to a man last night said "while this is great, we know we are just getting started".

Win the division is baseball is IMO a greater achievement then winning the division in hockey. You play double the amount of games, you play with almost no days off, and historically the only way you use to make the playoffs was winning the division so there is a much greater stigma IMO to win the division in baseball than in Hockey.

That aside, I disagree. I think celebrating success along the way are imporant to any team. When the Flames clinched, they talked pretty openly that there was a celebration heading their way too we just dind't see it on live TV like you do with baseball. Its more behind the scences but I do not believe for a second that the Flames didn't celebrate making the playoffs last year. I don't think it can be all about the destiantion, you have to enjoy the journey. I do agree you can't lose your focus but keep in mind that just about every player to a man last night said "while this is great, we know we are just getting started".

I don’t have a problem with a modest celebration at this point in the year, but a World Series win type celebration after a loss on game 157 in the regular season is a tad embarrassing, immature and unprofessional imo.   If the Jays goal is to be one of the most hated teams in baseball then that is how you do it.  Do great teams like the Yankee’s celebrate like that after winning a division? 

The hung over Jays are down 3 zip in the first today.  If the hangover loss costs them 1st place in the American league and they lose a game 7 on the road this month, would you still support the ridiculous celebration they put on display on Sept 30th?

I'm a Jays fan, but I disliked the ridiculous celebration they put on display last evening.

I don’t have a problem with a modest celebration at this point in the year, but a World Series win type celebration after a loss on game 157 in the regular season is a tad embarrassing, immature and unprofessional imo.   If the Jays goal is to be one of the most hated teams in baseball then that is how you do it.  Do great teams like the Yankee’s celebrate like that after winning a division? 

The hung over Jays are down 3 zip in the first today.  If the hangover loss costs them 1st place in the American league and they lose a game 7 on the road this month, would you still support the ridiculous celebration they put on display on Sept 30th?

I'm a Jays fan, but I disliked the ridiculous celebration they put on display last evening.

Actually yes the Yankees do celebrate like that after winning the Division. It is common practice around baseball.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/sports/baseball/yankees-clinch-al-east-title-with-win-and-orioles-loss.html?_r=0

The MLB season is one the most grinding and hardest regular seasons in pro sports. To grind out and win your division is a hard thing to do and deserves to be celebrated. The Jays especially deserve to celebrate it as it has been 22 years since the last won a division and went to the playoffs.

I am not too worried about them losing today as they are resting all of their regulars who have played a lot of baseball up to this point and now they that they are in the playoffs, it's time to make sure those players are 100% going into next week.

yes, they do actually basically all teams do. The St louis Cardinals clinched their 3rd Straight div title and celebrated it as well. Maybe not to the same extent as the Jays but not that dissimilar either.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/30/st-louis-cardinals-clinch-third-straight-nl-central-title

People are making way too much of this home game crap. They've got over a game lead on the Royals and home field advantage in the WS is already clinched by the AL winning the All - Star game. So the players who grinded out a season and played their hearts out for almost 160 games and accomplished their goal can't get a game off to celebrate and rest up for the post season on the off chance they may not get to host 1 playoff game at home? I dont' get it at all quite frankily and no i wouldn't point to that. if the Jays played all of their starters for the rest of the year and struggledin Game 1 of the playoffs would you go back and say they were overplayed?

Can't play so far the future. Enjoy the moment as it does not happen very year. Especially for this franchise. Jays have plenty of opporutnities to get home field advantage in the playoffs

Munenori Kawasaki is pretty funny when he's hammered...

He's pretty funny when he's sober too...   :lol:

3f6d5505b56b3a4ceeb09cc7199df6b2.png

I have no problem with the celebration, I don't know at the top of my head but I'm sure teams in the past have popped the champagne on nights where they lose a game but clinch because the team behind them also loses.  KC last year celebrated hard after clinching a wild card spot, winning the wild card game, winning the DS and then winning the ALCS.  I don't think its all the drinking that caused them to be unable to hit Bumgarner and lose the World Series.  There is no problems with resting guys now, for starters Baltimore is the team they have the most bad blood with, why risk them throwing at a key player.  They also need to make roster decisions for the DS.  For most of August they only had the 3 starting outfielders and no real backup, they really can't do that going into the series and one of either Pompey or Carrera should be on the DS roster.  I think the stars will still get in with the exception of Price, obviously if Tulo can go this weekend he should at least get some AB's I'd still limit him to DH.

I have no problem with the celebration, I don't know at the top of my head but I'm sure teams in the past have popped the champagne on nights where they lose a game but clinch because the team behind them also loses.  KC last year celebrated hard after clinching a wild card spot, winning the wild card game, winning the DS and then winning the ALCS.  I don't think its all the drinking that caused them to be unable to hit Bumgarner and lose the World Series.  There is no problems with resting guys now, for starters Baltimore is the team they have the most bad blood with, why risk them throwing at a key player.  They also need to make roster decisions for the DS.  For most of August they only had the 3 starting outfielders and no real backup, they really can't do that going into the series and one of either Pompey or Carrera should be on the DS roster.  I think the stars will still get in with the exception of Price, obviously if Tulo can go this weekend he should at least get some AB's I'd still limit him to DH.

Touch decisions for sure, but I think i lean Pompey. as Mike Wilner put it in one of his articles, i'm not sure Carrera gives you anything that Pompey can't and Pompey can fly on the basepaths so if they ever need a pinch runner he is your better bet. I think this would be my roster for the ALDS

C- Martin

1b - Smoak

2B - Goins

3B  Donaldson

SS - Tulo

LF - Revere

CF - Pillar

RF - Bautista

DH - Edwin

Benchs

Navarro

Collabello

Pennington

Pompey

Thole

Thole is the suprrise here, but again a good point by Wilner. Navarro is arguably your best pinch hitter but if you are going to pinch hit him then you have no catcher on the bench. Any injury or fluke play and you are in deep trouble if you got caught in a extra inning game.

Rotation:

Price

Dickey

Stroman

Estrada

I feel bad for Buerle, but he just isn't one of the Jays best 4 pictchers right now so he can't be in th roation. Stroman and Dickey may get swapped depending on where they play. if they open at home, I owuld want Dickey pitching at the Roger centre and not on the road.

Pen:

Osuna

Sanchez

Lowe

Cecil

Hawkins

Hendricks

Loup

I don't think Loup should be here but I don't think Gibbons will leave him off the roster. I don't think he would like the idea of going into a series with only 1 Lefy in his pen. Loup in high leverage situation scares the crap out of me, but Gibby seems to have more faith in him then the fans do. Personally, i would probably just do a 6 man pen and keep either Diaz or Kawasaki on the bench but I don't think thats what the Jays will do. That I also think will be determined based on how Tulo plays this weekend. If he is iffy going into that series I think you need to have 2 middle infielders on your bench.

Touch decisions for sure, but I think i lean Pompey. as Mike Wilner put it in one of his articles, i'm not sure Carrera gives you anything that Pompey can't and Pompey can fly on the basepaths so if they ever need a pinch runner he is your better bet. I think this would be my roster for the ALDS

C- Martin

1b - Smoak

2B - Goins

3B Donaldson

SS - Tulo

LF - Revere

CF - Pillar

RF - Bautista

DH - Edwin

Benchs

Navarro

Collabello

Pennington

Pompey

Thole

Thole is the suprrise here, but again a good point by Wilner. Navarro is arguably your best pinch hitter but if you are going to pinch hit him then you have no catcher on the bench. Any injury or fluke play and you are in deep trouble if you got caught in a extra inning game.

Rotation:

Price

Dickey

Stroman

Estrada

I feel bad for Buerle, but he just isn't one of the Jays best 4 pictchers right now so he can't be in th roation. Stroman and Dickey may get swapped depending on where they play. if they open at home, I owuld want Dickey pitching at the Roger centre and not on the road.

Pen:

Osuna

Sanchez

Lowe

Cecil

Hawkins

Hendricks

Loup

I don't think Loup should be here but I don't think Gibbons will leave him off the roster. I don't think he would like the idea of going into a series with only 1 Lefy in his pen. Loup in high leverage situation scares the crap out of me, but Gibby seems to have more faith in him then the fans do. Personally, i would probably just do a 6 man pen and keep either Diaz or Kawasaki on the bench but I don't think thats what the Jays will do. That I also think will be determined based on how Tulo plays this weekend. If he is iffy going into that series I think you need to have 2 middle infielders on your bench.

I don't think I'd want to be the guy to have to tell Buerhle that he isn't on the post season roster. I get what you are saying, but I would probably take him over Dickey. He's been to the World Series before. The only thing missing from your bullpen is a long man. You don't want to have to chew through your bullpen in one game if some one has a bad outing or gets injured. Maybe if you go with Buerhle in the rotation you can put Dickey in the bullpen.

Since the All-Star break, Dicky has been one of the best pitchers in the AL so I don't see how you can possibly leave him out of the rotation. He's had a tremendous 2nd half and as much as j agree that it sucks to tell Beurle that, he is simply not one of their best 4 starters right now.

Hendricks can give you length out of the pen and go multiple innings if need be. I'd give consideration to Beurle in the pen.

C- Martin

1b - Smoak

2B - Goins

3B  Donaldson

SS - Tulo

LF - Revere

CF - Pillar

RF - Bautista

DH - Edwin

Benchs

Navarro

Collabello

Pennington

Pompey

Thole

Rotation:

Price

Dickey

Stroman

Estrada

Pen:

Osuna

Sanchez

Lowe

Cecil

Hawkins

Hendricks

Loup

Yeah, I don't disagree with the thought of only having 1 lefty in the pen being bad, especially if Cecil will likely only be used in the 8th.  But I'd have to agree on going in a different direction as Loup as just been unreliable this season and unfortunately the only other option this year.  Lefty reliever was about my only check box that was never added during the deadline period, I liked Loup a lot the last few years but I think the league has figured him out.  Buerhle could be used in the pen, but I don't see him as a situational guy, if you're using him its because you need innings

What a freaking game. Off to the ALCS for the Jays. WTG guys!!!!!!

yes freaky game indeed.

The Jays fans in stadium, showed they are among the most classless fans on the continent of all sports.(delaying the game by throwing cans bottles and all sorts debris on field when the call was the right call is not only totally classless but dangerous too).

yes freaky game indeed.

The Jays fans in stadium, showed they are among the most classless fans on the continent of all sports.(delaying the game by throwing cans bottles and all sorts debris on field when the call was the right call is not only totally classless but dangerous too).

I guess... But they don't see that it's the right call because they don't get a replay. Nor do they get a colour commentator. They just see the play, and it must've looked terrible from the stands.

I'm not trying to justify their actions, just saying that it's not unheard of for emotions to run high when the season is on the line.

Love.

Was unable to watch the game this afternoon but had an ear glued to radio.  Jays win series in dramatic fashion!  This team is proving to be something special and they are reminiscent of the team of 92-93.  Champagne in moderation boys, keep eye and focus on Holy Grail.  GO JAYS!

Have to agree with DD. The fans, although incensed, stooped to an all time low on this one. I'm ashamed of them and they have brought shame to all Canadians with their actions. I would even go as far to say they could have rioted if the Jays lost that game.

I don't think they'd have rioted if the Jays had lost. They'd have rioted if the Jays had lost on that call.

Love.

I don't think they'd have rioted if the Jays had lost. They'd have rioted if the Jays had lost on that call.

Love.

I'm not standing up for the actions of some of the fans, but I think calling them out when it wasn't that long ago that we had a similar reaction to Bennett's no goal, and I was at that game and not impressed with the actions of not a few but many.  But forget about the stands, this season has been something else and I just hope it continues.  Now on to an ALCS rematch 30 years in the making.  After the last time these 2 played this was the playoff series that I wanted.  Two non-division teams that don't like each other should make for a good series.  

There was talk of kids being hit with thrown beer cans on that call. There was also talk of Moms covering the kids to protect them from the missiles(beer cans).

This was a black eye on the fans who participated, and even the team was trying to get the fans cooled off. I know it was not all the fans but the riot comparison is closer than you think. In Vancouver when they burned cars and rioted in streets and it was a reflection on all the Canucks fans.

This type of thing happening makes it really tough for me to cheer for this team even though they were not to blame. The call was the right one. Gibbons even said so after in an interview, just his complaint was he did not want the game to be decided on a odd rarely used rule.

In the end the call did not make a difference.

I hope the fans who threw stuff were found, thrown out and are not allowed to return.