The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Toronto Blue Jays

I was really apprehensive about them naming Gibbons the manager again for this reason. I understand players have to get it done and i'm not blaming him at all but when he was the manager last time the Jays had the same problem they just lived on the home run and if i'm not mistaken Gibbons even mentioned when he came on board it was his favorite play and he wanted to see as much of it as possible. The Jays litterally look like they are trying to have everyone hit homers and no one is just prolonging at bats and getting on base, whether or not that is Gibbons fault directly i'm not sure but what is clear is the Jays are BADLY mismanaging the talent they have on this team in almost all facets of it.

From the games i've seen, pitching is good enough to have won 5 more games this season.  It seems like if the Jays aren't hitting homeruns, then they aren't scoring.  That's just a ridiculous way to play.  Baseball is still a team game so they've got to sacrifice the personal gains to move guys around the bases and bat in the runs.  But no, they swing for the fence every time.  Worst guy is Encarnacion. It doesn't matter if he has runners in scoring position, no matter the amount of outs in the inning, or whoever is on base.  He's swinging for the fench.  And he always strikes out.

Is it still early in the season or is it time to worry?

From the games i've seen, pitching is good enough to have won 5 more games this season.  It seems like if the Jays aren't hitting homeruns, then they aren't scoring.  That's just a ridiculous way to play.  Baseball is still a team game so they've got to sacrifice the personal gains to move guys around the bases and bat in the runs.  But no, they swing for the fence every time.  Worst guy is Encarnacion. It doesn't matter if he has runners in scoring position, no matter the amount of outs in the inning, or whoever is on base.  He's swinging for the fench.  And he always strikes out.

Encarnacion I don't think is the biggest problem, his numbers in that department are respectable for a power guy.  As is stands now JPA and Rasmus are on pace for nearly 250 k's each, and both of them are still sadly 2 of the more consistent hitters this year.  I got no problem with the power numbers of this team, but it seems that way too many are solo's, the other problem I see with this lineup is too many pull hitters, some of the best hit balls from these guys are right at the infielders because other teams know how to shift for guys like Bautista, Encarnacion, Lind and Rasmus, the only guy with good opp field power is Lawrie.

It's never too early to worry, but still a little early to panic.  I think this team needs a day off which they finally get tomorrow, 20 straight games seems a little much this early, hopefully they can get a good day to refresh and reload because they get Lester and Buchholz who have been Jay killers.

I don't think you can single out one guy. I don't have a problem with JP doing that becuase he is a catcher if you get a good average out of a catcher its a bonus so i'm fine with him using that approach but guys like Rasmus, Bautista, EE, Davis (yes Raji Davis who seems to think he is a home run hitter), and Cabrera you all expect better from.

I agree with how senor put it, you can worry but can't panic. Thats one thing that sucks a bit about baseball that as long as you are really within 10 games or so around the all star break you can put together a run and keep yourself in contention. I think the the Jays can't get through May at least .500 or slightly better than it it's probably time to panic.

Assuming Boston would continue to win more games than they lose, lets say they gain an extra 10 or so games above .500 by season's end.  Finishing 20 games above .500 their record would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 91-71.  In order to win the division I think that's a little on the low side, and considering the pace they are winning at now.  Anyways, in order for Toronto to get to 92 wins, they have to win 83, out of 137.  (83-54)  Again, I think my wins for the division leader might be a little low.  I know lot's can happen, but with those numbers, it may very well be time to panic a bit.  No Reyes for a few more months, Johnson a little hurt, Beurle not the pitcher he once was, the batting averages, seems like too much to patch up to go on a run like that. 

All you have to do is look at the start of the thread to see how pumped I was over this roster.  I honestly thought they just had to show up and they could accidently win their fair share of games.  Let's hope it's not too late for this team.  Meaningful ball in the fall would be a blast for this country.

They just won 7 straight and are now only 3-games under .500.  Will they keep it up and make the playoffs?

and won 12 of last 15.

I don't think it's realistic they can hold this pace, not many teams can, but I think they will hang around for the rest of the rest of the year and be right there. It'll come down to how they play the tough game in September IMO

Getting Reyes back in the lineup will help keep the hot play going. He was the only Jay who was playing really well when the team was slumping.

Wow 10 in a row. The Jays are finally playing like they were predicted too.

All this without Reyes and Morrow in the lineup as well.

I am thinking that it must have just taken all the new players a while to get comfortable in Toronto, not to mention that there is a whole new coaching staff for all the players to get used to as well.

They dug themselves a big hole to start the year hopefully they can climb out of it in time.

c9f98e28400abd7350f65371caaa4214.png

10 in a row

only 6 back of division lead

still in last place in their division but just

only 1 team in their division has a .500 record in last 10 games,  the remainder are below .500

.507 would put them at 3rd in any other division except the Central of the NL

this also put them only 4 back of the wild card spot.

196df3d5d8de66606427022437a085e5.png

And with their next 7 games after today against the Rays and Red Sox they've hot a shot to really put themselves in better shape so hope the can at least win both those series. Don't need to sweep them but just winning both of them puts them right there and gives them a shot come September.

Well that makes 11 in a row. Huge sweep over Baltimore. 

The Jays always have issues in Tropicana for some reason, hopefully they can come out with a series win.

Well that makes 11 in a row. Huge sweep over Baltimore. 

The Jays always have issues in Tropicana for some reason, hopefully they can come out with a series win.

11 in a row ties a franchise record I believe.

The Jays have won 15 of 18 games since June 2, outscoring opponents 102-53.

Not bad for a team who lost 21 of their first 31 games.

The Jays are playing well but they're still at bottom of their division... :mad:

All because as well as they have played their record against their division isn't good enough.

I'll post ehre as it is baseball related rather than Bluejays.

Big outcry on the  Ryan Braun PED use:

b7c685b245b09ad806114d02726fdf30.png

I heard a few ball players saying he should give back the MVP title.

The other thing brought up yesterday is the Yankees are all supporting it and stiff penalties to others because of A-Rod.

Seems the concensus is they don't want to pay the remaining (almost 100mil) on his contract and are looking for this ruling to help tie in his "sort of admittance of illegal substance" use.

I'll post ehre as it is baseball related rather than Bluejays.

Big outcry on the  Ryan Braun PED use:

b7c685b245b09ad806114d02726fdf30.png

I heard a few ball players saying he should give back the MVP title.

The other thing brought up yesterday is the Yankees are all supporting it and stiff penalties to others because of A-Rod.

Seems the concensus is they don't want to pay the remaining (almost 100mil) on his contract and are looking for this ruling to help tie in his "sort of admittance of illegal substance" use.

I believe Braun should forfeit his MVP, but as it is the award is far tainted by the likes of Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, Giambi, and Canseco to name a few.  Braun's is just bad timing as baseball is starting to gain credibility back and even though there were plenty of people questioning guys like Bautista in 2010 the fact that there has never been a positive test on him has shed the cloud of doubt around him, but unfortunately all this has brought it back and some wondering around Chris Davis.  I think Braun has lost a lot of respect around the league so giving up his MVP may be the best way for him to regain some trust.

As for the Jays and this train wreck of a season, what changes should be made?  I don't think a full house cleaning will do anything, but some moves can be made, as of now I think the best bets for good trades would be guys like Cecil, Delabar or Janssen, trading all of them would be stupid but one I don't think would kill.  Oliver may fetch something too, not as good as the other 3 but teams fighting for playoff spots are always after relievers, Davis may also fetch something.  In the offseason can Gibby and Walker, I would still keep the rotation intact perhaps minus Johnson as I do think there is potential for Buehrle and Dickey to bounce back plus they may get a push from having Hutchison and Drabek back and possibly a push from a young guy in Stroman.

It too think Braun should forfeit the MVP for the very least to gain some respect back, although not much.

For the jays, they are done and I wouldn't like that many changes. I'd really only like to see them trade Johnson and Oliver to try and regain some prospect depth. I'm not a fan of trading Cecil, Jansen, or Delabar because I think the jays can contend next year and like their pen depth and I think they each have a few more years of control on all of them.

For the jays, they are done and I wouldn't like that many changes. I'd really only like to see them trade Johnson and Oliver to try and regain some prospect depth. I'm not a fan of trading Cecil, Jansen, or Delabar because I think the jays can contend next year and like their pen depth and I think they each have a few more years of control on all of them.

I was more or less just thinking Janssen as he is the one that they wouldn't have under control when his deal expires which I believe he has the club option for next year.  But again I don't think any need to go but if you get a killer return for one of them preferably Janssen I'd do it, I think there is a need for depth in infielders for the organization I'm not sure what Oliver or Johnson would fetch, but who knows with the Braves losing Hudson and the Pirates getting so close to the post season they may make the desperation move on Johnson.  Of course there is reason to be hesitant in trading your closer, but there are 2 guys under I think could do it but with obvious health question marks, Santos or McGowan.