8,732 posts in this topic

Gilles or Rittich will get an opportunity if there is an injury. Just like 90 percent of goalie prospects. 

I am more focused on Gilles rebounding in the AHL. Sure he played well at the end and that is a positive sign. But looking at segments of play is never a good way to evaluate goalies. He needs to do that over a long period. 

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Gilles or Rittich will get an opportunity if there is an injury. Just like 90 percent of goalie prospects. 

I am more focused on Gilles rebounding in the NHL. Sure he played well at the end and that is a positive sign. But looking at segments of play is never a good way to evaluate goalies. He needs to do that over a long period. 

I'd like to think you're agreeing with me, but I suspect...you meant AHL?

It has taken BT awhile and a few shots at it but I like the sense of order and quality we now have in our Goalie pipeline.

I agree that the focus should be Gilles taking over at the AHL level and being consistent there. I don't see any reason why the focus should be on the NHL team when he has only had 1 AHL season and it was pretty up and down. 

Not very common for goalies to be an NHL option after 1 AHL season, even the best of the best prospects. I get some mention Gilles age but i'm personally not a huge fan of looking at it based on age, experience matters more IMO. 

On 2017-07-13 at 10:59 AM, cross16 said:

I agree that the focus should be Gilles taking over at the AHL level and being consistent there. I don't see any reason why the focus should be on the NHL team when he has only had 1 AHL season and it was pretty up and down. 

Not very common for goalies to be an NHL option after 1 AHL season, even the best of the best prospects. I get some mention Gilles age but i'm personally not a huge fan of looking at it based on age, experience matters more IMO. 

Like you said, the best of the best...

look at Carey Price. Everyone in Montreal wanted his head when he had bad games, and they wanted Halak over him. 

Early in his career it didn't look good. But luckily the fans weren't the GM and he didn't get traded. Where would they be now? Bottom feeders.

let Gillies develop. Over-developing isn't a terrible thing. It is when you dick someone around and not play them properly. He still has to prove it.

As long as Smith/Lack perform as expected, I have no problem with Gillies/Rittich in Stockton for 2017/2018.

Most assuredly, there will be injuries to the Flames goalies, and they'll both probably get some NHL minutes.

As for age, Rittich is almost two years older than, and has started around 50 more games than Gillies.

He looked as good, if not better than Gillies last year, and could well be the first G call-up this upcoming season.

Still waiting to hear that he has been re-signed.