Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Recommended Posts

Boy, its some quiet in here.  Johnson is giving us arguably the best goaltending in the league yet no one is talking about it.  Here's some food for thought.

 

   de081ffe8056d45ad40febd33c3bae5a.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Boy, its some quiet in here.  Johnson is giving us arguably the best goaltending in the league yet no one is talking about it.  Here's some food for thought.

You are right no one is talking about how good he has been. The NHL has not acknowledged how good he has been, by this I mean the media/reporters outside of calgary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't care, unless I think he can sustain it for 3-5 years, which I currently don't see as feasible.

 

What I AM impressed with, is our AHL tandem right now.   Rittich is still on fire, and Gillies is following up a strong November recovery with an impressive December surge (Shutout in his last game).

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6479&season=54

 

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6064&season=54

 

The #1 thing I believe we should be excited about, imho, is that Gillies, likely our goalie of the future, is finally getting into form.   

 

I am potentially looking at a situation where I may have to eat my words on Johnson and Rittich.   Except that one of my biggest fears was Rittich eating up playing time from Gillies, which is exactly what's happening.  Also, too many variables, too much history of mishandling goaltenders, and too much season left for me to say "they figured it out".    Either way, it's Great that we finally have depth in the AHL, and it's great that Johnson is making a surge.   This Does make our net crowded.   And makes me think of "buy low sell high" at the trade deadline.   Now that...would be brilliant.  Brilliant enough for me to eat my words.  But I don't see the organisation pulling the trigger.   Always too in the moment for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I personally don't care, unless I think he can sustain it for 3-5 years, which I currently don't see as feasible.

 

What I AM impressed with, is our AHL tandem right now.   Rittich is still on fire, and Gillies is following up a strong November recovery with an impressive December surge (Shutout in his last game).

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6479&season=54

 

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6064&season=54

 

The #1 thing I believe we should be excited about, imho, is that Gillies, likely our goalie of the future, is finally getting into form.   

 

I am potentially looking at a situation where I may have to eat my words on Johnson and Rittich.   Except that one of my biggest fears was Rittich eating up playing time from Gillies, which is exactly what's happening.  Also, too many variables, too much history of mishandling goaltenders, and too much season left for me to say "they figured it out".    Either way, it's Great that we finally have depth in the AHL, and it's great that Johnson is making a surge.   This Does make our net crowded.   And makes me think of "buy low sell high" at the trade deadline.   Now that...would be brilliant.  Brilliant enough for me to eat my words.  But I don't see the organisation pulling the trigger.   Always too in the moment for that.

I dont think we are going to trade johnson, if anything they will keep gilles, rittich, and johnson(if he continues this pace) into the next training camp see where that takes us. It would be interesting training camp next year if they all stay on this pace.

 

Im not sure why you think johnson cant sustain this pace, he played just as well in buffalo last year. Its not like this is a one month stand or something. If anyone gets traded at the deadline I would assume its elliot, and like I said I would assume the flames want one of rittich or gilles in calgary next year as we need to make room in the AAA for other goalies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I personally don't care, unless I think he can sustain it for 3-5 years, which I currently don't see as feasible.

 

What I AM impressed with, is our AHL tandem right now.   Rittich is still on fire, and Gillies is following up a strong November recovery with an impressive December surge (Shutout in his last game).

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6479&season=54

 

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6064&season=54

 

The #1 thing I believe we should be excited about, imho, is that Gillies, likely our goalie of the future, is finally getting into form.   

 

I am potentially looking at a situation where I may have to eat my words on Johnson and Rittich.   Except that one of my biggest fears was Rittich eating up playing time from Gillies, which is exactly what's happening.  Also, too many variables, too much history of mishandling goaltenders, and too much season left for me to say "they figured it out".    Either way, it's Great that we finally have depth in the AHL, and it's great that Johnson is making a surge.   This Does make our net crowded.   And makes me think of "buy low sell high" at the trade deadline.   Now that...would be brilliant.  Brilliant enough for me to eat my words.  But I don't see the organisation pulling the trigger.   Always too in the moment for that.

 

Rittich took the net when Gillies was injured.  We were looking for a goalie to back him up, so he's doing that.  And he's killing it.  What more do you want in the AHL?  Two good goalies.  Competition in nets.  First in the Pacific for a farm team, while the Flames are starting to figure it out in the NHL.  

 

I think that expecting Gillies to be NHL ready next year is a bit much, and I don't think you are saying that.  If we sign Johnson and Elliott for next year and don't lose either, then we won't be hurting Gillies.  Murray spent almost two full seasons in the AHL before getting a call.  He was lucky that MAF was injured to up his stock.  I don't think he was hurt by the years he played in SSM and the AHL.  Gillies will be fine.  If we only sign one NHL goalie, we will need another one as a backup.  I don't think Gllies has shown he is ready yet.  Maybe he kills it the rest of the season, but that's still one year in pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think we are going to trade johnson, if anything they will keep gilles, rittich, and johnson(if he continues this pace) into the next training camp see where that takes us. It would be interesting training camp next year if they all stay on this pace.

 

I don't think we will trade Johnson either, he's worth too much right now and that's not our style.  We typically wait until our assets have little or no value and sell them off cheap ;) 

 

10 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im not sure why you think johnson cant sustain this pace, he played just as well in buffalo last year. Its not like this is a one month stand or something.

 

You could be right.  It's just not a given, and I don't think it's likely.  But there is definitely an arguement to be made there, I admit it.   

 

His overall NHL record is 9.19, which is consistent with his record with Buffalo (9.20).   He's on a hot streak right now, he has been on them before, and they have never lasted.  He's had 9.30 streaks in the past but never maintained them.   At 30 years of age, I don't expect that he will.   If you run the odds, this is a short-lived streak.    I could be wrong.   He might be the best goalie in the NHL until he's 40.   I just don' see great odds of that.

 

10 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

If anyone gets traded at the deadline I would assume its elliot,

 

Ah, yes....  Buy high, sell low!!  Totally agree, that is very much our style, to give up assets for a player, then give up on the player, and trade them away for nothing.  Yes, I see a high likelihood of this ;) 

 

10 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

and like I said I would assume the flames want one of rittich or gilles in calgary next year as we need to make room in the AAA for other goalies. 

 

One or both would be nice.   But.... we don't role that way.  As you mentioned above....they'll keep Johnson.  they'll try and trade Elliot, but nobody will take him on.   That was my issue with loading up on vets.   It blockades development.  It's bad math.  Even if you get lucky (as we did), it's Still...bad math.    But, the Flames could prove my skepticism wrong.   So we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Boy, its some quiet in here.  Johnson is giving us arguably the best goaltending in the league yet no one is talking about it.  Here's some food for thought.

 

There, fixed that for you :)

 

(yes, it's because I haven't posted)

Sorry, been a  busy Christmas season, I haven't had time to get everyone hot and riled up in here.   I have another 10 minutes, should be enough time to spur a decent frenzy lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

 

I don't think we will trade Johnson either, he's worth too much right now and that's not our style.  We typically wait until our assets have little or no value and sell them off cheap ;) 

 

 

You could be right.  It's just not a given, and I don't think it's likely.  But there is definitely an arguement to be made there, I admit it.   

 

His overall NHL record is 9.19, which is consistent with his record with Buffalo (9.20).   He's on a hot streak right now, he has been on them before, and they have never lasted.  He's had 9.30 streaks in the past but never maintained them.   At 30 years of age, I don't expect that he will.   If you run the odds, this is a short-lived streak.    I could be wrong.   He might be the best goalie in the NHL until he's 40.   I just don' see great odds of that.

Lots of goaltenders start to come into their prime in their late 20s, into their 30s ala kipper, tim thomas etc. Yes hes on a hot streak right now, I dont think anyone is expecting him to stay at a .949 pct thats he been at but hes not going to drop down to .880 suddenly he will probably stay at .920 to 9.25 on avg whch is really good.  The odds are good that he will be a decent goalie, even a backup into next year.

 

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Ah, yes....  Buy high, sell low!!  Totally agree, that is very much our style, to give up assets for a player, then give up on the player, and trade them away for nothing.  Yes, I see a high likelihood of this ;) 

 

 

One or both would be nice.   But.... we don't role that way.  As you mentioned above....they'll keep Johnson.  they'll try and trade Elliot, but nobody will take him on.   That was my issue with loading up on vets.   It blockades development.  It's bad math.  Even if you get lucky (as we did), it's Still...bad math.    But, the Flames could prove my skepticism wrong.   So we'll see.

We arent buying high and selling low, there is plenty of evidence that elliot will turn it around by trade deadline and then we can sell him off. If he doesnt turn it around oh well the flames will have a choice to make, as they wont be able to trade him if he doesnt turn it around, at least I really doubt it. Its not blockading development, neither gilles or rittich were NHL ready this year, and they may not be NHL ready next year. There is no reason to go into the season with spots open for rookies, thats how you end up like edmonton did for 10 years. The competition is there, and if the flames roll into next year with two vets in net again, well gilles or rittich better earn his spot. The NHL is not a development league, stop acting like its a personal affront to the goalies in the AAA that we dont have a spot for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

I don't think we will trade Johnson either, he's worth too much right now and that's not our style.  We typically wait until our assets have little or no value and sell them off cheap ;) 

 

 

 

 

Hudler, Russell and Glencross beg to differ. 

 

Previous regimes yes, but Trelivings history is that he sells high on assets. I doubt they trade Elliott but he will still hold value at the deadline. He is one of the few good goalies available that just about ever team could fit under the cap. Would they get their 2nd back, no but they would get close. Either way likely irrelevant because I don't think they will be selling at the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Rittich took the net when Gillies was injured.  We were looking for a goalie to back him up, so he's doing that.  And he's killing it.  What more do you want in the AHL?  Two good goalies.  Competition in nets.  First in the Pacific for a farm team, while the Flames are starting to figure it out in the NHL.  

 

Except, who's backing up who?  Right now Gillies is backup up Rittich.   Not because Gillies isn't ready to be an AHL starter.  Because Rittich was NEVER a good fit for an AHL backup.  He was always at the level of AHL starter.  And he's currently on a hot streak, as the best goalie in the AHL. 

 

That's all great....but it's not because he has more potential than Gillies.  It's because he's more than 2 years older.   

 

The bottom line is:   Developing Gillies should have been a major objective of this season.   Within that scope, the Flames, right now, are failing imho.   Everything seems great right now but primary objectives are not being met and that will have a more lasting impact than any current goaltending streak.  Maybe I'm wrong, and Riitich is the real deal?  Well then bring him up to the NHL.  Oh wait, we can't, because we log-jammed it with veterans.   Things are great now, yes.  But there is a price.

 

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think that expecting Gillies to be NHL ready next year is a bit much, and I don't think you are saying that.

 

I appreciate the consideration.  I am, however, actually saying that, though.  I consider US College very similar in calibre to the AHL.   As Gillies recovers and finds his game (shutout the other night), a time may come very soon where he won't look like he fits in the AHL anymore.   That is under the assumption that he's not played as an AHL backup for most of this season.

 

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 If we sign Johnson and Elliott for next year and don't lose either, then we won't be hurting Gillies.

 

Again, it may appear that way if we play him as an AHL backup.   

 

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 Murray spent almost two full seasons in the AHL before getting a call.  He was lucky that MAF was injured to up his stock.  I don't think he was hurt by the years he played in SSM and the AHL.  Gillies will be fine.  

 

US Collge hockey essentially equals AHL imho.   Gillies has had Way more time at that level that Murray.   Now imagine if Riitich were playing in Pittsburgh's development system last year.  Murray would have been an AHL backup, and pittsburgh would have lost the cup.  Just sayin.   Same thing if they had Johnson imho.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Again, it may appear that way if we play him as an AHL backup.   

You do realize gilles has played more games then rittich right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Hudler, Russell and Glencross beg to differ. 

 

Previous regimes yes, but Trelivings history is that he sells high on assets. I doubt they trade Elliott but he will still hold value at the deadline. He is one of the few good goalies available that just about ever team could fit under the cap. Would they get their 2nd back, no but they would get close. Either way likely irrelevant because I don't think they will be selling at the deadline. 

 

Right, so one Massive exception there, Hudler was, for a Long time, the highest scoring player in the NHL, and considered by many to be the current Best player in the NHL.

 

We got a 2nd round pick back.    For what was recently the best player in the NHL.

 

How?  By holding onto what was clearly a temporary situation, and fighting a dying cause in a hopeless battle to fight in the playoffs when we didn't have the pieces to win a cup.

 

Also, less important/relevant, but:

 

Russell, we did the same.  He had an amazing season, we held onto him even though we knew we needed to get bigger, waited for him to struggle, and then traded him.   Yes, we somehow got a 2nd rounder for him.    I don't think Jokipakka or Pullock are even worth mentioning, they are readily available players that can be had on the free market any time.     We got a 2nd rounder for a player that, a year ago, after his exceptional playoff performance, could have gotten us a first rounder.   But yes, good deal for his value at that time.

 

Glencross...we traded a 30-goal calibre player for a 2nd round pick.  By waiting until he was no longer producing, and then trading him.  Yes, again, good deal for the time.   But he could have commanded a first round pick earlier in our rebuild.  I see what you are saying, we did get some 2nd round picks back for our depreciated assets.  What I am saying, is that we were foolish to let them depreciate in a rebuild, rather than capitalize on them at top value.  Because 2nd round picks, a dynasty does not make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

You do realize gilles has played more games then rittich right?

 

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6479&season=54

 

http://theahl.com/player?playerId=6064&season=54

 

They've played the same number of December games, and Rittich picking up the harder ones.

 

Been pretty well established on here that the intent was for Gillies to be the starter.  So yes, they started him off with more games.   That's not happening now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Right, so one Massive exception there, Hudler was, for a Long time, the highest scoring player in the NHL, and considered by many to be the current Best player in the NHL.

 

We got a 2nd round pick back.    For what was recently the best player in the NHL.

 

How?  By holding onto what was clearly a temporary situation, and fighting a dying cause in a hopeless battle to fight in the playoffs when we didn't have the pieces to win a cup.

 

Also, less important/relevant, but:

 

Russell, we did the same.  He had an amazing season, we held onto him even though we knew we needed to get bigger, waited for him to struggle, and then traded him.   Yes, we somehow got a 2nd rounder for him.    I don't think Jokipakka or Pullock are even worth mentioning, they are readily available players that can be had on the free market any time.     We got a 2nd rounder for a player that, a year ago, after his exceptional playoff performance, could have gotten us a first rounder.   But yes, good deal for his value at that time.

 

Glencross...we traded a 30-goal calibre player for a 2nd round pick.  By waiting until he was no longer producing, and then trading him.  Yes, again, good deal for the time.   But he could have commanded a first round pick earlier in our rebuild.  I see what you are saying, we did get some 2nd round picks back for our depreciated assets.  What I am saying, is that we were foolish to let them depreciate in a rebuild, rather than capitalize on them at top value.  Because 2nd round picks, a dynasty does not make.

 

 

The only person who thinks your values are accurate is you JJ. None of them make any sense and no one ever considered Hudler one of the best players in the NHL. in fact anyone worth listening to or reading said that Hudler was overrated based on him playing with Monahan and gaudreau. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jjgallow said:

 

Right, so one Massive exception there, Hudler was, for a Long time, the highest scoring player in the NHL, and considered by many to be the current Best player in the NHL.

 

We got a 2nd round pick back.    For what was recently the best player in the NHL.

 

How?  By holding onto what was clearly a temporary situation, and fighting a dying cause in a hopeless battle to fight in the playoffs when we didn't have the pieces to win a cup.

 

Also, less important/relevant, but:

 

Russell, we did the same.  He had an amazing season, we held onto him even though we knew we needed to get bigger, waited for him to struggle, and then traded him.   Yes, we somehow got a 2nd rounder for him.    I don't think Jokipakka or Pullock are even worth mentioning, they are readily available players that can be had on the free market any time.     We got a 2nd rounder for a player that, a year ago, after his exceptional playoff performance, could have gotten us a first rounder.   But yes, good deal for his value at that time.

 

Glencross...we traded a 30-goal calibre player for a 2nd round pick.  By waiting until he was no longer producing, and then trading him.  Yes, again, good deal for the time.   But he could have commanded a first round pick earlier in our rebuild.  I see what you are saying, we did get some 2nd round picks back for our depreciated assets.  What I am saying, is that we were foolish to let them depreciate in a rebuild, rather than capitalize on them at top value.  Because 2nd round picks, a dynasty does not make.

Over shoot the mark much ? Russell wasn't ever going to net us a 1st round pick, get serious. We got more than I ever expected we would get for a 3 pairing defenseman.

BTW Glencross had not produced like that for a few years and due to injuries was done, I thought we did well to get what we did with him. Hudler never returned to form after 2015 and same for him , lucky to get what we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The only person who thinks your values are accurate is you JJ. None of them make any sense and no one ever considered Hudler one of the best players in the NHL. in fact anyone worth listening to or reading said that Hudler was overrated based on him playing with Monahan and gaudreau. 

 

Merry Christmas to you too, cross!

 

So yeah, it's exactly like you said, except the opposite, and nobody but you should know this better.  This was one of the Very few things that the two of us actually agreed on, when Hudler was at his peak.   It was literally you and me against the entire forum (you being more diplomatic than myself, of course), us saying that we really Could live without him, he was over-valued, and would make a great trade candidate.

 

Exactly NOBODY agreed with us, cross.  Yeah, nobody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

Merry Christmas to you too, cross!

 

So yeah, it's exactly like you said, except the opposite, and nobody but you should know this better.  This was one of the Very few things that the two of us actually agreed on, when Hudler was at his peak.   It was literally you and me against the entire forum (you being more diplomatic than myself, of course), us saying that we really Could live without him, he was over-valued, and would make a great trade candidate.

 

Exactly NOBODY agreed with us, cross.  Yeah, nobody.

 

Merry Christmas JJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Lots of goaltenders start to come into their prime in their late 20s, into their 30s ala kipper, tim thomas etc. Yes hes on a hot streak right now, I dont think anyone is expecting him to stay at a .949 pct thats he been at but hes not going to drop down to .880 suddenly he will probably stay at .920 to 9.25 on avg whch is really good.  The odds are good that he will be a decent goalie, even a backup into next year.

 

We arent buying high and selling low, there is plenty of evidence that elliot will turn it around by trade deadline and then we can sell him off. If he doesnt turn it around oh well the flames will have a choice to make, as they wont be able to trade him if he doesnt turn it around, at least I really doubt it. Its not blockading development, neither gilles or rittich were NHL ready this year, and they may not be NHL ready next year. There is no reason to go into the season with spots open for rookies, thats how you end up like edmonton did for 10 years. The competition is there, and if the flames roll into next year with two vets in net again, well gilles or rittich better earn his spot. The NHL is not a development league, stop acting like its a personal affront to the goalies in the AAA that we dont have a spot for them. 

 

 

They are calling an ex Oiler "probably" the 2nd best goalie in the NHL. 

I know he didn't become that, they did almost ruin him. The spot was there, but they also had so many other holes in their game that there was no way Dubynk would look good. Talbot is doing ok, but wouldn't they want dubynk now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

 

Except, who's backing up who?  Right now Gillies is backup up Rittich.   Not because Gillies isn't ready to be an AHL starter.  Because Rittich was NEVER a good fit for an AHL backup.  He was always at the level of AHL starter.  And he's currently on a hot streak, as the best goalie in the AHL. 

 

That's all great....but it's not because he has more potential than Gillies.  It's because he's more than 2 years older.   

 

The bottom line is:   Developing Gillies should have been a major objective of this season.   Within that scope, the Flames, right now, are failing imho.   Everything seems great right now but primary objectives are not being met and that will have a more lasting impact than any current goaltending streak.  Maybe I'm wrong, and Riitich is the real deal?  Well then bring him up to the NHL.  Oh wait, we can't, because we log-jammed it with veterans.   Things are great now, yes.  But there is a price.

 

 

I appreciate the consideration.  I am, however, actually saying that, though.  I consider US College very similar in calibre to the AHL.   As Gillies recovers and finds his game (shutout the other night), a time may come very soon where he won't look like he fits in the AHL anymore.   That is under the assumption that he's not played as an AHL backup for most of this season.

 

 

Again, it may appear that way if we play him as an AHL backup.   

 

 

US Collge hockey essentially equals AHL imho.   Gillies has had Way more time at that level that Murray.   Now imagine if Riitich were playing in Pittsburgh's development system last year.  Murray would have been an AHL backup, and pittsburgh would have lost the cup.  Just sayin.   Same thing if they had Johnson imho.

 

 

 

 

I know you are stuck on the idea that the Flames do not know how to develop goalies.  Probably nobody will make any arguments that convince you otherwise.

If Rittich's age means he should be better able to start right now, then why rush Gillies?  Gillies came back from injury to a goalie on a hot streak.  If you are the Flames do you ignore a goalie you scouted and signed because you have another one that you drafted?  I thought that was what made the Flames bad in the past.  Ignoring talent they have and letting them walk or not playing them.  

 

We have two NHL goalies this season.  Johnson was pegged to be the backup but is on a hot streak.  Elliott will or should get back into form, so why would an NHL club decide to bring in an AHL backup or starter while they are still developing?  Doesn't make any sense.  Every team has goalies in the AHL.  None of them are getting called up unless its an injury replacement or the current goalies are crap.  Gillies has 19 games of AHL experience and 3 years of college, where he played a much shorter than AHL schedule.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I know you are stuck on the idea that the Flames do not know how to develop goalies.  Probably nobody will make any arguments that convince you otherwise.

If Rittich's age means he should be better able to start right now, then why rush Gillies?  Gillies came back from injury to a goalie on a hot streak.  If you are the Flames do you ignore a goalie you scouted and signed because you have another one that you drafted?  I thought that was what made the Flames bad in the past.  Ignoring talent they have and letting them walk or not playing them.  

 

We have two NHL goalies this season.  Johnson was pegged to be the backup but is on a hot streak.  Elliott will or should get back into form, so why would an NHL club decide to bring in an AHL backup or starter while they are still developing?  Doesn't make any sense.  Every team has goalies in the AHL.  None of them are getting called up unless its an injury replacement or the current goalies are crap.  Gillies has 19 games of AHL experience and 3 years of college, where he played a much shorter than AHL schedule.  

 

It wouldn't surprise me if Gillies takes two more years to develop. Maybe one or two more year in the AHL. He could come up when he is 24 or 25. Is that considered a failure or good developing?

Is it that we have bad developing or bad drafting of goaltenders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Boy, its some quiet in here.  Johnson is giving us arguably the best goaltending in the league yet no one is talking about it.  Here's some food for thought.

 

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:
17 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Boy, its some quiet in here.  Johnson is giving us arguably the best goaltending in the league yet no one is talking about it.  Here's some food for thought.

There, fixed that for you :)

 

17 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Boy, it's some quiet in here.  Johnson is giving us arguably the best goaltending in the league yet no one is talking about it.  Here's some food for thought.

 

Fixed your fix :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

Except, who's backing up who?  Right now Gillies is backup up Rittich.   Not because Gillies isn't ready to be an AHL starter.  Because Rittich was NEVER a good fit for an AHL backup.  He was always at the level of AHL starter.  And he's currently on a hot streak, as the best goalie in the AHL. 

 

That's all great....but it's not because he has more potential than Gillies.  It's because he's more than 2 years older.   

 

The bottom line is:   Developing Gillies should have been a major objective of this season.   Within that scope, the Flames, right now, are failing imho.   Everything seems great right now but primary objectives are not being met and that will have a more lasting impact than any current goaltending streak.  Maybe I'm wrong, and Riitich is the real deal?  Well then bring him up to the NHL.  Oh wait, we can't, because we log-jammed it with veterans.   Things are great now, yes.  But there is a price.

 

 

I appreciate the consideration.  I am, however, actually saying that, though.  I consider US College very similar in calibre to the AHL.   As Gillies recovers and finds his game (shutout the other night), a time may come very soon where he won't look like he fits in the AHL anymore.   That is under the assumption that he's not played as an AHL backup for most of this season.

 

 

Again, it may appear that way if we play him as an AHL backup.   

 

 

US Collge hockey essentially equals AHL imho.   Gillies has had Way more time at that level that Murray.   Now imagine if Riitich were playing in Pittsburgh's development system last year.  Murray would have been an AHL backup, and pittsburgh would have lost the cup.  Just sayin.   Same thing if they had Johnson imho.

 

 

 

NCAA isn't anywhere near the level of the AHL. 

 

Gillies is quite overrated IMO, and to ask him to be ready for full time NHL duty even as a backup is asking a lot regardless of how many games he played this year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Johnson is a starter and this not not just a hot streak. Nothing in his game tells me it's a fluke or a streak. He goes about every play the same way, makes a 1st save, controls the rebound, and that's what you ask of a good quality starter. 

 

When you've been a career backup, what games do you usually have to play? The 2nd game of back-to-backs. Games where the team is tired. Plus the rthym is usually off, and the team doesn't know what to expect or have chemistry. Communication with the players is important. 

 

We are witnessing a goalie coming into his own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...