Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We are witnessing a goalie coming into his own. 

 

I disagree, but I won't deny that it's possible.  Especially with Calgary as his hometown, and him being so close to his support network.

 

I've stated my opinion but I'll shut up about it because I do want him to do well, and I would rather eat my words at the end of the season.

 

In other news (sorry if someone else posted but I don't see it anywhere):

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/12/6/13855060/toronto-maple-leafs-sign-karri-ramo-to-try-out-deal-and-jhonas-enroth-has-cleared-waivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

I disagree, but I won't deny that it's possible.  Especially with Calgary as his hometown, and him being so close to his support network.

 

I've stated my opinion but I'll shut up about it because I do want him to do well, and I would rather eat my words at the end of the season.

 

In other news (sorry if someone else posted but I don't see it anywhere):

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/12/6/13855060/toronto-maple-leafs-sign-karri-ramo-to-try-out-deal-and-jhonas-enroth-has-cleared-waivers

I dont think karri ramo was a bad goaltender necessarily. I think the flames just wanted to go in a new direction and they certainly werent going to wait till december of this season for him to be good to go. Who knows how his comback might look in toronto, as far as ive heard he hasent signed a contract yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Is it time for the Flames to start Elliott? Has Johnson fell from grace? Or is it the team play? Again?

 

I thought Elliott should have started against the Bolts.  To me, it looked like he was starting to lose focus a bit, and he had been on a run where he was channeling Kipper.

I think he was going to return to normal at some point.  

 

Saying that, it was a bad team effort against TBL and CBJ.  He wasn't outstanding.  But the team returned to its October play.  Need to give Elliott the 1st start in a B2B.  If he steals the game, then you have a choice.  If you start Johnson in the first game and he falters, then Elliott will get a tired team.  JMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I'm super late to the party or what but Brian Elliott is now wearing white coloured pads...!?  It didn't dawn on me until I watched him play yesterday against the Avs.  When did he make this change from red pads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure if I'm super late to the party or what but Brian Elliott is now wearing white coloured pads...!?  It didn't dawn on me until I watched him play yesterday against the Avs.  When did he make this change from red pads?

I think it was a few weeks back he made the switch, I remember reading something about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure if I'm super late to the party or what but Brian Elliott is now wearing white coloured pads...!?  It didn't dawn on me until I watched him play yesterday against the Avs.  When did he make this change from red pads?

 

24 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think it was a few weeks back he made the switch, I remember reading something about it.

 

Jermain Franklin posted this on Instagram on Nov 30, 2016

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kulstad said:

 

 

Jermain Franklin posted this on Instagram on Nov 30, 2016

 

 

Thanks, that's interesting considering we were debating the idea of using colours to an advantage and Elliott's change to white pads coincide with an improvement in play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elliott is a pretty good stick handler seems to be gaining confidence again in that situation. I'm sure Jbouw and Peitrangelo missed that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, The_People1 said:

Not sure if I'm super late to the party or what but Brian Elliott is now wearing white coloured pads...!?  It didn't dawn on me until I watched him play yesterday against the Avs.  When did he make this change from red pads?

he switched and pretty much started to win.. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

he switched and pretty much started to win.. 

 

 

 

A lot of us said how stupid of him to wear red pads because it helps shooters aim with their peripheral vision.  White is a better camo against the ice and it doesn't reveal as many openings.  He switched to white pads and he started to win.  I think case is closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else feel like Elliot looks a lot like Ortio? 

I wonder if Ramo would be as good or better than Elliot? 

 

I know the numbers do not say that is the case. And I guess he didn't even make the Leafs.

 

Is it just that Elliott isn't confident? I feel like he leaves the upper net open too much. Which was what I didn't like about Ortio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Anyone else feel like Elliot looks a lot like Ortio? 

I wonder if Ramo would be as good or better than Elliot? 

 

I know the numbers do not say that is the case. And I guess he didn't even make the Leafs.

 

Is it just that Elliott isn't confident? I feel like he leaves the upper net open too much. Which was what I didn't like about Ortio. 

 

Ramo’s fate was sealed with the injury, Flames had to look elsewhere.  I think Ortio was much weaker than Elliott up high.  Interesting comparison with similar games played though.  

b12dd2d78fcc22a58e423120f64aed8e.png

e49ffe5e496fee250e1d011596e217e8.png

3e7397c4713bfcbb24cd1ee737e2ad99.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

 

Ramo’s fate was sealed with the injury, Flames had to look elsewhere.  I think Ortio was much weaker than Elliott up high.  Interesting comparison with similar games played though.  

b12dd2d78fcc22a58e423120f64aed8e.png

e49ffe5e496fee250e1d011596e217e8.png

3e7397c4713bfcbb24cd1ee737e2ad99.png

 

I feel bad though, as I really wanted Elliott to do well. 

In terms of his style of play, has he always crouched as low as he has? I know it makes him looked dialled in, but I just feel like he's not all there at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Anyone else feel like Elliot looks a lot like Ortio? 

I wonder if Ramo would be as good or better than Elliot? 

 

I know the numbers do not say that is the case. And I guess he didn't even make the Leafs.

 

Is it just that Elliott isn't confident? I feel like he leaves the upper net open too much. Which was what I didn't like about Ortio. 

 

Johnson was coming off a break.  Over the long haul, Elliott is superior.

 

Both have had recent bad games, but are we expecting more out of Elliott because he was supposed to be #1?  Bad bounces for the previous game against the Nucks. Johnson was better down low tonight.  Let's see where we are after the end of January.  Both goalies will face tough teams.  Elliott has a history of coming up big.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Johnson was coming off a break.  Over the long haul, Elliott is superior.

 

Both have had recent bad games, but are we expecting more out of Elliott because he was supposed to be #1?  Bad bounces for the previous game against the Nucks. Johnson was better down low tonight.  Let's see where we are after the end of January.  Both goalies will face tough teams.  Elliott has a history of coming up big.  

 

Just because Johnson had a losing streak doesn't mean he was playing poorly. His opponents were more difficult as well. Elliot had a winning streak against bottom feeders and didn't even look good doing it. 

 

I don't know I still think Elliot has to find a way to win that Vancouver game.

 

I hope he can turn it around, not much has suggested his game has improved this year. I take the bottom feeder games with a grain of salt.

 

So far this season, nothing in Elliott's game has proven he is the better goalie or superior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Just because Johnson had a losing streak doesn't mean he was playing poorly. His opponents were more difficult as well. Elliot had a winning streak against bottom feeders and didn't even look good doing it. 

 

I don't know I still think Elliot has to find a way to win that Vancouver game.

 

I hope he can turn it around, not much has suggested his game has improved this year. I take the bottom feeder games with a grain of salt.

 

So far this season, nothing in Elliott's game has proven he is the better goalie or superior.

I agree with this.  We are now mid season and Johnson has proved he gives us the best chance to win.  I see Johnson getting the bulk of the games moving forward.  We can use the excuse of bad bounces for Elliott but good goaltenders stop bad bounces too.  Looking at the schedule I could see Elliott playing NJD and TOR and maybe 1-2 more in Jan, Johnson gets the rest.  Having said that, you are only as good as your last game in the goaltending business, anything can happen.  Elliott needs to be ready for when he’s called on next because we need both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would even say that Elliott has been just as bad as our goaltending was last year. This year, we are playing better as a team overall. Last year he would have lost just as much as the goalies we had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty negative stuff about a top ranked goalie.  No, Ramo/Hiller/Ortio were not as good last year.  We had goal scoring that propped them up.

 

Elliott's losing streaks were:

October 30 to November 21 (7 games)

October 12 - 20th (3 games)

 

Flames managed to score 2 or fewer goals between October 30 and November 21.  Blame him if you like or the team for failing to provide any run support during that time.

 

Before you toss the goalie in the scrap heap, give him some credit for what he is capable of doing.  Two of the goals from VAN were scored when the Nucks has just iced the puck and couldn't change.  Johnson was brilliant last night, but Elliott has had good games his last stretch as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See that's where my theories on team play and goaltending differ. Last year, The team played like crap more than not, but the fans believed the goalies could and should prop them enough to win. While now, the team is playing a 1000 x better but now this goalie doesn't give very much comfort in how he plays but I gotta give him a break? Maybe I am being too harsh, but even when he wins I am not sure he is going to make the saves. Until he puts it together consistently, I can't change my mind.

 

Or he just isn't starter material and St. Louis already knew that. He had a team that played next to perfect D to prop his numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

See that's where my theories on team play and goaltending differ. Last year, The team played like crap more than not, but the fans believed the goalies could and should prop them enough to win. While now, the team is playing a 1000 x better but now this goalie doesn't give very much comfort in how he plays but I gotta give him a break? Maybe I am being too harsh, but even when he wins I am not sure he is going to make the saves. Until he puts it together consistently, I can't change my mind.

 

Or he just isn't starter material and St. Louis already knew that. He had a team that played next to perfect D to prop his numbers.

This year:

691bb3151c1184d840258212d5d7fb16.png

 

Last year:

90ebb2bc938e95c3794f8f255eb52309.png

 

I have to disagree a bit on the team playing 1000x better.. After 41 games last year and comparing to this year they are almost identical. Goaltending has made little difference but has won two more games compared to last year too. Maybe last year it is because Ramo went on that nice run last year to bring us in contention but....

 

I do think that the team has finally learned the system and feels comfortable playing with either goalie this year, although the team struggled early on with both the system and playing in front of Elliott.

 

We have 2 more wins than last year after 41 games.

We have scored 1 more goal and allowed 13 less goals. Is that goaltending or D? or both?

We have 6 less shots and allowed 25 less shots against. This is the team not goaltending.

We have 10 more PP goals and allowed 9 more PP opportunities..

The glaring difference is we have been shorthanded 57 more times. Our goalies are not taking the penalties so....

This years team is better on faceoffs by 1.2 %

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

See that's where my theories on team play and goaltending differ. Last year, The team played like crap more than not, but the fans believed the goalies could and should prop them enough to win. While now, the team is playing a 1000 x better but now this goalie doesn't give very much comfort in how he plays but I gotta give him a break? Maybe I am being too harsh, but even when he wins I am not sure he is going to make the saves. Until he puts it together consistently, I can't change my mind.

 

Or he just isn't starter material and St. Louis already knew that. He had a team that played next to perfect D to prop his numbers.

 

For me right now , its coming down to , i do like our tandem better than last year.. were it not for the Knee Injury , I think Ramo played as good as Elliot . Cant put my finger on it but for some reason yes, Elliot adapts to the team in front of him more.. Johnson was used to a bad team in front of him in Buffalo, hence hes been stealing games here. Hes a better fit.

Personally , I dont see Elliot being resigned, Johnson yes.. and wont be too surprised to see Rittich get a look real soon.. i think he may be the next to arrive as a backup . hes been a Great surprise .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

This year:

691bb3151c1184d840258212d5d7fb16.png

 

Last year:

90ebb2bc938e95c3794f8f255eb52309.png

 

I have to disagree a bit on the team playing 1000x better.. After 41 games last year and comparing to this year they are almost identical. Goaltending has made little difference but has won two more games compared to last year too. Maybe last year it is because Ramo went on that nice run last year to bring us in contention but....

 

I do think that the team has finally learned the system and feels comfortable playing with either goalie this year, although the team struggled early on with both the system and playing in front of Elliott.

 

We have 2 more wins than last year after 41 games.

We have scored 1 more goal and allowed 13 less goals. Is that goaltending or D? or both?

We have 6 less shots and allowed 25 less shots against. This is the team not goaltending.

We have 10 more PP goals and allowed 9 more PP opportunities..

The glaring difference is we have been shorthanded 57 more times. Our goalies are not taking the penalties so....

This years team is better on faceoffs by 1.2 %

 

 

 

 

The biggest thing I see there and the thing that gives me the biggest hope going forward, is the vastly improved special teams.

 

20.9% PP this year vs. 14.6% PP last year. 

81.3% PK this year vs. 73.5% PK last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

This year:

691bb3151c1184d840258212d5d7fb16.png

 

Last year:

90ebb2bc938e95c3794f8f255eb52309.png

 

I have to disagree a bit on the team playing 1000x better.. After 41 games last year and comparing to this year they are almost identical. Goaltending has made little difference but has won two more games compared to last year too. Maybe last year it is because Ramo went on that nice run last year to bring us in contention but....

 

I do think that the team has finally learned the system and feels comfortable playing with either goalie this year, although the team struggled early on with both the system and playing in front of Elliott.

 

We have 2 more wins than last year after 41 games.

We have scored 1 more goal and allowed 13 less goals. Is that goaltending or D? or both?

We have 6 less shots and allowed 25 less shots against. This is the team not goaltending.

We have 10 more PP goals and allowed 9 more PP opportunities..

The glaring difference is we have been shorthanded 57 more times. Our goalies are not taking the penalties so....

This years team is better on faceoffs by 1.2 %

 

 

 

 

Well, at least this year we have reason to believe the play is sustainable. At least I hope it is. Like you said, the system. 

 

I just feel like Elliott still hasn't been very comfortable in net yet. The coaches are giving him easier games to try get him into a groove. It's the NHL and no game is supposed to be easy, but his opponents, minus the Canucks, have been less than stellar. 

 

I like how the team team is playing for the most part. PP and PK are coming around. It is a huge jump considering we were last about a month ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...