Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Recommended Posts

I too don't think we'll see Gillis in a Flames uniform again.. He can be packaged with Frolik or Brodie.. whomever is being moved to sign Tkachuk because.. someone is being moved and those two are consensus by just about everyone .. Flames fan or not..Tkachuk must be signed by this weekend so that the powerplay has a couple games to get together in  practice  before the season starts,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think Gillies has run his course as a Flame. He looked downright awful in net. He looked scared back there, zero confidence. This is not something I’d trust Sigalet to fix. Hopefully we get atleast something back in return....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I too don't think we'll see Gillis in a Flames uniform again.. He can be packaged with Frolik or Brodie.. whomever is being moved to sign Tkachuk because.. someone is being moved and those two are consensus by just about everyone .. Flames fan or not..Tkachuk must be signed by this weekend so that the powerplay has a couple games to get together in  practice  before the season starts,

 

I dunno, I think we should consider keeping Frolik. He’s a player we’d trade away and spend draft picks on later down the road to acquire a similar player. Frolik is undervalued for his 2 way game. Brodie is top 4 D man, we know of his tendency to commit gaffes on ice but he’d likely get us the better return

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rickross said:

I dunno, I think we should consider keeping Frolik. He’s a player we’d trade away and spend draft picks on later down the road to acquire a similar player. Frolik is undervalued for his 2 way game. Brodie is top 4 D man, we know of his tendency to commit gaffes on ice but he’d likely get us the better return

i'm fine with that.. I like Frolik and his game.. we need cap room somewhere

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s preseason. However, I don’t like how Talbot is playing as advertised. “First shot or two = goal”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

It’s preseason. However, I don’t like how Talbot is playing as advertised. “First shot or two = goal”. 

 

He needs to work it out of his system.

He'll be fine.

Or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Talbot is money that has been waisted, it would have been better spent on signing Chucky...3mil waisted period!

?

Who is your backup then? We have only $5.5 committed to 2 goalies. That is incredibly cheap. You think we should spend less?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 7:43 PM, Horsman1 said:

I too don't think we'll see Gillis in a Flames uniform again.. He can be packaged with Frolik or Brodie.. whomever is being moved to sign Tkachuk because.. someone is being moved and those two are consensus by just about everyone .. Flames fan or not..Tkachuk must be signed by this weekend so that the powerplay has a couple games to get together in  practice  before the season starts,

 

 

Gillies is one of the biggest disappointments in recent history.  Worst than Bennett because at least Bennett is salvaging an NHL career.  Gillies was our "next #1" and is now ECHL material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 7:43 PM, Horsman1 said:

I too don't think we'll see Gillis in a Flames uniform again.. He can be packaged with Frolik or Brodie.. whomever is being moved to sign Tkachuk because.. someone is being moved and those two are consensus by just about everyone .. Flames fan or not..Tkachuk must be signed by this weekend so that the powerplay has a couple games to get together in  practice  before the season starts,

 

 

Flames uni is unluikely.

He may get sent to the ECHL to recover his game.

He's going to be waived shortly, unless they make a trade with a team for futures.

We managed to trade Lack, so there is hope.

 

Not that it matters about the return.

They would like to help him out, get him back to being a pro goalie, but there isn't much room here.

A trade to a team without a lot of NA prospects might give him that chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Gillies is one of the biggest disappointments in recent history.  Worst than Bennett because at least Bennett is salvaging an NHL career.  Gillies was our "next #1" and is now ECHL material.

I'm not going to get on Gillies at all. We have a coaching staff for goalies right? When your mechanics, architecture and confidence have gone down the toilet, isn't that when coaching is supposed to take over? It's been a year now. Nothing about Gillies is changing. Whatever happened to treating your goalies like they're in the military?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Gillies is one of the biggest disappointments in recent history.  Worst than Bennett because at least Bennett is salvaging an NHL career.  Gillies was our "next #1" and is now ECHL material.

 

Gillies has been overrated around here for a very long time. He never really had the focus or drive to be a number 1 goalie in the NHL, he has the physical tools, but seems to lack the mental side of the game. I thought at best he was going to be a backup so I guess that he isn't an NHL caliber goalie at this point is a bit of a disappointment, but not totally surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Flames uni is unluikely.

He may get sent to the ECHL to recover his game.

He's going to be waived shortly, unless they make a trade with a team for futures.

We managed to trade Lack, so there is hope.

 

Not that it matters about the return.

They would like to help him out, get him back to being a pro goalie, but there isn't much room here.

A trade to a team without a lot of NA prospects might give him that chance.

 

 I could be wrong on this, but because he is a one way contract, I am not sure he can be sent to the ECHL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

 

 I could be wrong on this, but because he is a one way contract, I am not sure he can be sent to the ECHL. 

No. You're right.

He can't be sent to the E without his consent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

 I could be wrong on this, but because he is a one way contract, I am not sure he can be sent to the ECHL. 

 

So, instead he will toil away in the AHL on a team with 3 goalies there.

Parsons would have to go to the ECHL in his place.

Or they can loan him to another AHL club if anyone wants him.

 

If he wasn't broke before, this should do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

So, instead he will toil away in the AHL on a team with 3 goalies there.

Parsons would have to go to the ECHL in his place.

Or they can loan him to another AHL club if anyone wants him.

 

If he wasn't broke before, this should do it.

 

I am really hoping that they can loan him to another AHL team. 

 

Parsons to the ECHL to start the season might not be the worst idea either though, as Parsons hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his play in pre.season either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

I am really hoping that they can loan him to another AHL team. 

 

Parsons to the ECHL to start the season might not be the worst idea either though, as Parsons hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his play in pre.season either.

 

My concern with Parsons is the mental side of his game.

They need to work with him to keep him focused on the prize.

At least in Stockton, he will get about 50% of the games.

Last year they let Gillies go on runs (no matter how bad he was).

 

The ECHL is only good to get a bunch of games in.

Who knows what goalie coaching is like in Kansas.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

?

Who is your backup then? We have only $5.5 committed to 2 goalies. That is incredibly cheap. You think we should spend less?

 

What was the rush to sign Talbot though?  Were there competing offers for him?  Why not PTO him and see how he does?

 

Now we committed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we give Talbot a handful of actual games before we send him out to pasture.

 

The first game he was bad. The last game it seemed like he was a victim of some bad bounces and having weak a defense in front of him. Let's see what he do with a full team in front of him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not going to get on Gillies at all. We have a coaching staff for goalies right? When your mechanics, architecture and confidence have gone down the toilet, isn't that when coaching is supposed to take over? It's been a year now. Nothing about Gillies is changing. Whatever happened to treating your goalies like they're in the military?

 

 

Maybe theyre just shooting at them like they’re in the military. Sigelet is supposed to be a goalie guru/ whisperer so he must be whispering and not yelling. 

 

I guess all you can can do is tell them what they’re doing wrong? Maybe our goalies don’t have it in between their ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Can we give Talbot a handful of actual games before we send out to pasture.

 

The first game he bad. The last game it seemed like he was a victim of some bad bounces and having weak a defense in front of him. Let's see what he do with a full team in front of him.

 

 

Last year everyone had Rittich in the A after the preseason, possibly even the ECHL(?). But without Rittich the Flames aren’t a 2nd overall 1st in the conference team. 

 

It may not play out that way again, but the preseason is about working through rust and getting the game on track.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Zag being sent to AHL today, it will be interesting to see what happens with Gilles. Why he was kept up over Zag with the way he has played I don't REALLY understand. The only reason I see is that with the Stockton camp open now, they want him to get into a rhythm and be ready to be their starter.

 

The only reason I can think of for Gilles to be kept around any longer is they are looking to trade him. He hasn't earned extra playing time, but I guess he needs to be waived, so maybe trying to make sure others teams don't have space to pick him up off waivers. Don't want to lose him for nothing I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

With Zag being sent to AHL today, it will be interesting to see what happens with Gilles. Why he was kept up over Zag with the way he has played I don't REALLY understand. The only reason I see is that with the Stockton camp open now, they want him to get into a rhythm and be ready to be their starter.

 

The only reason I can think of for Gilles to be kept around any longer is they are looking to trade him. He hasn't earned extra playing time, but I guess he needs to be waived, so maybe trying to make sure others teams don't have space to pick him up off waivers. Don't want to lose him for nothing I guess.

let the games begin.. Gillis is still a project and likely an addon piece to a possible trade after rosters are set.. 29 players left in camp//.. how many will be protected.. who is exempt.. who does that leave unprotected??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Who knows what goalie coaching is like in Kansas.

 

Pretty good chance that it is better than the goalie coaching here...    :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...