Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

 

and yet some still question whether Rittich is capable of being a starter...   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Carty said:

 

and yet some still question whether Rittich is capable of being a starter...   :)

Both being past goalies Carty, I've been raving on his fundies since streaming A games. His puck projectory, angles, protect the net are as good as anyone in the league, and he's humble, mellow, yet emotional. Ladies and gentleman, this is a really good Blockchaining goalie, is all that I have to say. Track down his goalie coach in the Czech, and hire him. The foundation is key imho, and Rittich's had it since he joined us.

We're nothing without him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Rittich SA% is 22nd best in the league, one position above Smith, and BP feels he needs to ride him 7 of 8 games? Common already lets get Talbot in there and see what he's got. Some pleased with the way Rittich has been stopping the puck but his puck handling skills is a train wreak and he still has some leaning to do. Talbot should get equal opportunity.


he had like one really bad game and when they’ve only played this many games, a bad one is going to affect the numbers. 
 

while I do agree Talbot could and should be played. Rittich is playing like a possible #1. 
 

are you going to throw Price out after he let in 5 last week?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Both being past goalies Carty, I've been raving on his fundies since streaming A games. His puck projectory, angles, protect the net are as good as anyone in the league, and he's humble, mellow, yet emotional. Ladies and gentleman, this is a really good Blockchaining goalie, is all that I have to say. Track down his goalie coach in the Czech, and hire him. The foundation is key imho, and Rittich's had it since he joined us.

We're nothing without him.

 

Agreed...   and since Rittich is 27, we could be looking forward to a future of solid goaltending for years to come...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, Carty said:

 

I agree, it is rare for a goalie to be able to play 60+ games...   Kipper was Kipper, and he was a rare breed of goalie...   

 

Rittich is Rittich, and no one knows what his ideal workload is yet...   55 - 60 games might be his limit, time will tell...   But Rittich might be a workhorse in net by nature, and able to handle a heavier load...   It is possible he could need it, and feed off it...   He definitely has the potential...


 

I don’t know BSD’s actual numbers after sitting out a game or two, but going from memory. 
 

game 1: looks like the best goalie in the league

 

game 2: looks a starter but let’s in a goal

 

game 3: Flames win but he looks good or average

 

game 4: there are holes in his game. 
 

game 5: needs a rest

 

my take is, play 3 then rest one...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were up to me I would go play three rest two, only to give the backup time to get a feel for their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If it were up to me I would go play three rest two, only to give the backup time to get a feel for their game.

That is my thinking as well or something along those lines.

There is no iron-man or championship trophy given out in Oct.

Lets get Talbot in there (other than back to backs) and feeling good about his game, maybe he is stellar.

We need a healthy competition going on and I don't want to see Rittich playing 55-60 games either.

I want both goalies fresh, healthy and on their game come playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

That is my thinking as well or something along those lines.

There is no iron-man or championship trophy given out in Oct.

Lets get Talbot in there (other than back to backs) and feeling good about his game, maybe he is stellar.

We need a healthy competition going on and I don't want to see Rittich playing 55-60 games either.

I want both goalies fresh, healthy and on their game come playoffs.

 

Very few goalies played 50+ last year.

This is about the now, not how many games he will play this season.

The team is not firing on all cylinders eyt, so at least we need the starter giving the team a chance.

It's not going to hurt him.

In fact, it actually looks like t's helping him iron out some things he was not comfortable with.

 

Talbot is going to play games.

No worry there.

They will give him s atring of games, assuming he is comfortable enough to get wins.

He won't be getting 5 in a row, but 3 is reasonable.

 

At the end of the day, the split will be something like 60% to 40%, which is about what you want to do.

They need to get a read on Talbot to see when he is most effective.

2nd game of a B2B?

Road versus home?

High volume shots?

Teams fast on the rush?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well our backup was amazing last night. Fun little jab at those that didn't want to give him a chance.

 

Even with the unknown, I am still happier to have Talbot over Smith.

I give the Smith meltdown to be the Minny game, assuming he gets the start.

He usually does after a shutout.

And he always loses after a shutout.

 

Talbot's performance was the kind of game he had with the Oilers during their playoff year.

We couldn't solve him then.

Other than a perfect shot by Silferberg where he committed to the shooter, he was dialed in.

The reflexes were excellent.

The positioning and calmness were Rittich-esque.

 

If the Flames feel comfortable in front of Rittich, they should be the same with Talbot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talbot was so good I would give him next game. No loss of confidence in Rittich whatsoever I just 1- don't like treating him like a 60plus game starter, and 2- I think that's how good Talbot was last night. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Talbot was so good I would give him next game. No loss of confidence in Rittich whatsoever I just 1- don't like treating him like a 60plus game starter, and 2- I think that's how good Talbot was last night. 

He stole that win imho. He proved he deserves a chance. No qualms with Rittich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that Rittich plays his best hockey when he is pushing for a job, he is a battler and a competitor. Talbot giving him that competition can only be good for the team and both goalies. I look forward to seeing them push each other all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how Rittich was happy for him after the win too. It’s good to see and I think he has been in that role so much that I think splitting the games isn’t going to be a problem. Not like it was an undercurrent with Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I have found that Rittich plays his best hockey when he is pushing for a job, he is a battler and a competitor. Talbot giving him that competition can only be good for the team and both goalies. I look forward to seeing them push each other all season.

 

Rittich faced way too many shots over his starts.

By the Kings game he was burned out.

You need to manage shot counts as well as starts.

 

I think a couple of steady games by Talbot will calm the masses and give the coach more confidence in him.

Maybe he can start to look at how specific goalies and their strengths fared against specific teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Rittich faced way too many shots over his starts.

By the Kings game he was burned out.

You need to manage shot counts as well as starts.

 

I think a couple of steady games by Talbot will calm the masses and give the coach more confidence in him.

Maybe he can start to look at how specific goalies and their strengths fared against specific teams.

 

By all rights, the Flames should be in better shape for goaltending than we have seen for quite some time...

 

Talbot has had a few good games (.931 SV% so far), and hopefully that continues...   History shows that he has the potential to get the job done...

 

But we also need to remember Rittich has done quite well considering he was in the net a lot of games when the Flames did not give their best effort...

 

Here is some food for thought for those that have doubts about Rittich...

 

          e88a039063f9969bf83a06f67d13ce3e.png

 

Even this season, Rittich had some ugly stats in two games where the Flames were not playing their best hockey, but in 3 of the 5 he had a SV% of .944, .955, & .964 (in that order)...

 

          e62453a730bb7a7bb225d14955a36196.png

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^
Yeah, where I was going with that was that Talbot played home to WASH last year and had 1 GA on 32 shots.

He didn't fare as well in Washington 2 weeks later.

Inn fact, he's beaten WAS 2/3 times at home and lost 2/2 times on the road.

 

Rittich has never faced Washington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprises here.

 

Two good prospects, Flames actively trying to bury despite their responding to the new goalie coach.

 

Questionable off-season signing getting all the minutes and struggling with the transition to NA, also good but not great where they came from.  Tyler Parsons buried even...further?

 

Hoping this keeps up and stays cut and dry enough that the Flames are forced into doing something sensible.    If not...well...there's really good things happening in junior right now for us.

 

jO2uvvF.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^
Yeah, where I was going with that was that Talbot played home to WASH last year and had 1 GA on 32 shots.

He didn't fare as well in Washington 2 weeks later.

Inn fact, he's beaten WAS 2/3 times at home and lost 2/2 times on the road.

 

Rittich has never faced Washington.

 

I was just making a comment about how the Flames goaltending should hopefully turn out this season...   I think that we should be in pretty good shape...   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

No surprises here.

 

Two good prospects, Flames actively trying to bury despite their responding to the new goalie coach.

 

Questionable off-season signing getting all the minutes and struggling with the transition to NA, also good but not great where they came from.  Tyler Parsons buried even...further?

 

Hoping this keeps up and stays cut and dry enough that the Flames are forced into doing something sensible.

 

jO2uvvF.png

 

Parsons is hurt. Gillies was hurt and returned only recently. 

 

also interesting you posted this now and not when Zagidulin was 2-0 with a 94% save %

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Parsons is hurt. Gillies was hurt and returned only recently. 

 

also interesting you posted this now and not when Zagidulin was 2-0 with a 94% save %

 

You're right, I should have posted earlier with even less data  ;).    totally explains why they've sat their youngest and best performing goalie last year (Schneider).  

 

It's simple math really, when your youngest player is also your best player it's Always best to bury them with older offshore signings that aren't half as good.

 

It was just for fun I have my opinion and I've made it known on here.  We're 7 games in to a 4-goalie circus, we know it doesn't mean much but when you have that many goalies it's hard not to look totally ridiculous, the only reason it's not catastrophic is because of those injuries.  

 

"It's early days...our 4-goalie system will look much better at the halfway mark"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple math sure. Even though Schneider is not their youngest goalie.....

 

Just find it funny that Schendier is their best goalie prospect due to 12 games at the AHL level and we are going to ignore a much bigger sample size in the WHL/ECHL. But 5 games is enough to decide Zagidulin is not good and no better. 

 

A lot of goal post moving, but that's no surprise. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

You're right, I should have posted earlier with even less data  ;).

 

Gillies and Schneider have only played one game apiece...   You couldn't possibly have less data,...   ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...