The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDeeds

Bombs Go Off At Finish Line Of Boston Marathon

Note very early reports show that 12 injured.(Note early reports)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danbigman/2013/04/15/expolsion-reported-at-boston-marathon-finish-line/

Apparently 115 Calgarian ?? are registered to run in the Boston Marathon this year. Fan 960

^^ I was in other room but pretty sure that is what he said.

Edit:

Still early but AP says this:

BOSTON (AP) — Two bombs exploded near the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing two people, injuring 23 others and sending authorities rushing to aid wounded spectators, race organizers and police said.

http://news.yahoo.com/2-killed-2-bombs-explode-boston-marathon-201426272--spt.html

Sounds like they are finding more bombs and defusing them.  It also sounds like the death toll might be rising.  

I can't fathom how people can be this sick.

Sounds like they are finding more bombs and defusing them.  It also sounds like the death toll might be rising.  

I can't fathom how people can be this sick.

Third blast later reported at JFK Library about 5 miles away, police say. Not clear whether that blast is connected to first two.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/explosions-near-finish-of-boston-marathon/?hpt=hp_t1

Cell phone service has been shut down in central Boston area in an attempt to halt any possible cell phone detonations. Race of course has been cancelled.

Sick is putting it mildly kehatch.

No surprise the Boston/Senators game has been cancelled.  There were reports they had a suspect in custody, but that has been refuted by Boston PD.  Hope they catch the scumbag(s).  

Brutal.  Absolutely Brutal...Thoughts and prayers go out to the people and families affected by this tragedy.

cross-1.jpg

The thing that pisses me off (other than the obvious well done steaked up grotesque bloodlust) is the cynical comments from people on youtube and other sites joking about it because it was no where near them.

I wonder if it's terrorist or if it's sick people.  It doesn't seem like the work of Al Qaeda since they like to target and terrorize transportation systems. Why target a marathon?  Especially the crowd.

One of the confirmed killed is an 8 year old boy.  Such a tragedy, why do these things have to happen?  I mean really.  

I wonder if it's terrorist or if it's sick people.  It doesn't seem like the work of Al Qaeda since they like to target and terrorize transportation systems. Why target a marathon?  Especially the crowd.

Terrorizing a marathon, a large, televised event, is exactly what a terrorist would want to do. A terrorist is someone looking to instill terror into people. If people are afraid to attend large social gatherings it harms the nation as a whole. Being in NY, this stuff scares me. I'm extremely suspicious of everything on the subways, I hate being in large crowds, and I'm not a fan of being around large, televised events. That's not to say I avoid them, because I don't believe you should live your life in fear, but this type of thing is something I think about whenever I'm in public here.

This is truly disturbing, and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Boston.

One of the confirmed killed is an 8 year old boy.  Such a tragedy, why do these things have to happen?  I mean really.  

8 year old girl actually.  Picture below if you want (pre explosion, not gruesome).  Very sad.  

MOD EDIT, REMOVED FALSE PHOTO

As a bigger brother to a six year old boy, I can't begin to imagine the grief the family, if they survived the explosion, is going through. I know if I lost my little brother I'd fall into a deep state of depression. This is horrible - and it makes me wonder why humanity is always fighting each-other.

This is beyond words.

I know my prayers go out to those who were fatally injured, seriously injured or affected by this discraceful event in humanities history.

Though, I have to wonder. I saw Military Fatiges clearing the wreckage - makes you wonder, doesn't it?

8 year old girl actually. Picture below if you want (pre explosion, not gruesome). Very sad. 

MOD EDIT, REMOVED FALSE PHOTO

That's how sad the world is. FABRICATION of stories. It was an 8 year old boy that died. His picture is all over Twitter too, most reports on the girl is that is what made up by some idiot and spread fast! Just like some reports have the death toll at 12 although, only 3 have been confirmed.

Either way, it is a tragedy. Just looked at some of the photos on CNN. Pretty gory. Luckily the tolls aren't as bad as they could have been.

Deepest sympathies to those in Boston.

That's how sad the world is. FABRICATION of stories. It was an 8 year old boy that died. His picture is all over Twitter too, most reports on the girl is that is what made up by some idiot and spread fast! Just like some reports have the death toll at 12 although, only 3 have been confirmed.

Either way, it is a tragedy. Just looked at some of the photos on CNN. Pretty gory. Luckily the tolls aren't as bad as they could have been.

Deepest sympathies to those in Boston.

Crazy. Thanks for the clarification.  Doesn't make me feel better.  I have an 8-year old boy sleeping upstairs right now.  But shame on the people that use this type of event to spread lies.  I removed the link.  

Terrorizing a marathon, a large, televised event, is exactly what a terrorist would want to do. A terrorist is someone looking to instill terror into people. If people are afraid to attend large social gatherings it harms the nation as a whole. Being in NY, this stuff scares me. I'm extremely suspicious of everything on the subways, I hate being in large crowds, and I'm not a fan of being around large, televised events. That's not to say I avoid them, because I don't believe you should live your life in fear, but this type of thing is something I think about whenever I'm in public here.

This is truly disturbing, and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Boston.

While the events were terrifying, it doesn't strike me as anything organized by a terror group.

Reports are coming out that one of the bombs was constructed out of a pressure cooker. In other words, a home appliance and household chemicals.  This does not sound like a large operation funded by any sort of large terrorist group where we would've seen C-4s and more sophisticated weapons.  This seems like a lone wolf type of attack.  Perhaps even, just some psycho completely non-affiliated with any terror group.

While the events were terrifying, it doesn't strike me as anything organized by a terror group.

Reports are coming out that one of the bombs was constructed out of a pressure cooker. In other words, a home appliance and household chemicals.  This does not sound like a large operation funded by any sort of large terrorist group where we would've seen C-4s and more sophisticated weapons.  This seems like a lone wolf type of attack.  Perhaps even, just some psycho completely non-affiliated with any terror group.

I tend to agree, Peeps.  As I watched the replays of the explosion, the force seemed to be more "up" than "out".  Also, ball-bearings just don't strike me as a "planned" explosion ingredient for the more popular terrorist cells.  There (thankfully) just didn't seem to be enough casualties for an Al Qaeda-esque group...they would have made the spectacle more "memorable".

The young boy "Martin Richard" killed is a particulary sad story. That whole family(Mother(Brain injury) & his 6 yr old sister(lost a leg))  also suffered serious injuries in the blast.

CNN story on that is here: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston-boy-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

There is a twist that CNN is focusing on about a sign Martin made in school about a year ago that said :

"No more hurting people," it said.

For the camera, he held up the bright blue sign decorated with hearts framing the word "Peace."

There is a twist that CNN is focusing on about a sign Martin made in school about a year ago that said :

5d6e128a665fd8ac74f1a1f6ae30a7ae.png?136

e5d118dbe083d618d983dd79a179f41b.png?136

It makes our team struggling near the bottom of the league look trivial in comparison, doesn't it?

They will play again another year...   He won't...

IEDs are improvised. They are the weapon of choice of many terrorists. Not fancy but they sure do the job. There's a lot of maim/kill capacity in those. Those are probably the leading cause of Allied deaths in Afghanistan.

Doctors in Boston have reported nails, BBs & ball bearings as some of the items removed from patients.

Even in Viet Nam the Cong used many primitive weapons like the spike pit or spike laden T board.

e5d118dbe083d618d983dd79a179f41b.png?136

It makes our team struggling near the bottom of the league look trivial in comparison, doesn't it?

They will play again another year...   He won't...

RIP Martin.

I tend to agree, Peeps.  As I watched the replays of the explosion, the force seemed to be more "up" than "out".  Also, ball-bearings just don't strike me as a "planned" explosion ingredient for the more popular terrorist cells.  There (thankfully) just didn't seem to be enough casualties for an Al Qaeda-esque group...they would have made the spectacle more "memorable".

IEDs are improvised. They are the weapon of choice of many terrorists. Not fancy but they sure do the job. There's a lot of maim/kill capacity in those. Those are probably the leading cause of Allied deaths in Afghanistan.

Doctors in Boston have reported nails, BBs & ball bearings as some of the items removed from patients.

Even in Viet Nam the Cong used many primitive weapons like the spike pit or spike laden T board.

I can't believe you are referencing the Viet Cuong in 2013.  We are in the modern era. 

1. No terrorists groups are claiming responsibility.  This is unusual because terrorists groups thrive on the attention and merit they gain by claiming responsibility for events like this and none have come forward.  They also understand the consequences of course, so they wouldn't claim something unless they actually did it and issued the orders for it.  Still, it's not like them to stay quiet.

2. The petty weapons of choice.  Already mentioned, just a homemade bomb and is as unspectacular as can be.  Not to undermine the devastation of what has happened in Boston but they honestly got very lucky it wasn't worse. 

3. Jihad extremists buy a ticket to meet their God by killing themselves too.  There's no evidence of a suicide bombing here.  This is very unusual and is not consistent with their ways.  They just don't bomb and hide.  They bomb and kill themselves too.  Are there many terrorist events around the world where a suicide isn't involved?

I'm actually very disappointed with how TV networks are insinuating the responsible for this bombing is with the Middle Eastern terrorist groups.  They extrapolate to conclusion by presenting fringe evidence smearing Islam in prejudicial manners.  Then you have network anchors grieving for brownie points by declaring war on the Middle East.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

What racists and short minded people.  Wait for the facts.  Even Obama is asking America to not jump to conclusions.  They could discover that it was a white blonde woman who is Christian. It's like the Sand Hook event, first questions was "was it Islamic terrorists?"  Like the Colorado Theatre shooting, "was it Islamic terrorists?"  NO, it's just white Americans born and raised in America.  It's been happening since Timnothy McVeigh and it will happen again.

Is this a terrorist attack?  Yes absolutely because it's terrorizing.  But not all terrorists are Islamic extremists.

The only thing I agree with is this: RIP Martin.  But then again, listening to some of the horror stories like lost limbs, brain injuries, etc, death may not always be the worst outcome.  Worst is you stood too close to the bomb and lived.  What a horrible tragedy.  I really hope they bring those responsible to justice.

I'm actually very disappointed with how TV networks are insinuating the responsible for this bombing is with the Middle Eastern terrorist groups.  They extrapolate to conclusion by presenting fringe evidence smearing Islam in prejudicial manners.  Then you have network anchors grieving for brownie points by declaring war on the Middle East.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

What racists and short minded people.  Wait for the facts.

Isn't that a direct contradiction to your first post?

Kim Jung Un is attacking America.

Well you may be forgetting the grandfather of all things Middle East Terrorism. Sporting events terrorism that kind of brought these types of things to the front and center of world news. There is a very big connection with sports through the "Munich Massacre"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

While PLO may not be the Al Qaeda we see today they certainly share some of the same roots.

Isn't that a direct contradiction to your first post?

Is there ever a bad time to crack a North Korea joke?

footballgroin.gif

Well you may be forgetting the grandfather of all things Middle East Terrorism. Sporting events terrorism that kind of brought these types of things to the front and center of world news. There is a very big connection with sports through the "Munich Massacre"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

While PLO may not be the Al Qaeda we see today they certainly share some of the same roots.

So are you claiming this is Middle East terrorism for sure?

Is there ever a bad time to crack a North Korea joke?

I would have to say that immediately following a tragic bombing would be bad timing...   So actually yes there is...

I enjoy a North Korea joke as much as the next guy...   But...