Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Signing: Reto Berra

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#41 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Honestly, we've covered the issues so many times and in so many ways, I think I have to pass on this one.

We'll see first-hand, very soon.

I would agree that Berra is better than Ramo.

I don't mean to root against them.   I'd love to be wrong.

#42 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hartley has seen ramo first hand, so pretty sure hes had some input into his fit here. If we are going to discuss the fit, what are the reasons we are so sure these 2 gys are busts before theyve even arrived?

I agree with everything but the above. Hartly was not around when we acquired the rights to Ramo as he was a piece of the Cammi trade last season.

#43 TrippinVdUb

TrippinVdUb

KCCO!

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Way to much debate on 2 goalies that are playing over seas, fact is no one over here has seen a large enough body of work to judge how they will preform in the NHL, however I do think that the KHL is a great place to groom goalies, they see allot of skilled players and get the chance to play against a high level of talent. Im not sure the Swiss league offers the same but I will save judgment on both guys until they get here and I have more then youtube highlights and stats to go by.

#44 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I agree with everything but the above. Hartly was not around when we acquired the rights to Ramo as he was a piece of the Cammi trade last season.

Sorry, My Bad.. I meant to say Berra. He would have seen him when he was coaching in the Swiss League

#45 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

Sorry, My Bad.. I meant to say Berra. He would have seen him when he was coaching in the Swiss League

that makes sense :)

#46 swissflames

swissflames

• SeniorMembers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Im not sure the Swiss league offers the same but I will save judgment on both guys until they get here and I have more then youtube highlights and stats to go by.

The Swiss league offers the same! ;)

#47 Kipper14

Kipper14

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Switzerland is like 8-0 or something right now at the worlds with Berra as their started, and he's seeing some NHL caliber players. I don't want to get too excited, but I am getting pretty optimistic about Reto!!!

#48 manu11

manu11

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Switzerland is like 8-0 or something right now at the worlds with Berra as their started, and he's seeing some NHL caliber players. I don't want to get too excited, but I am getting pretty optimistic about Reto!!!

Berra has indeed played good in the 3 starts he got, but he isn't the starter.  Martin Gerber, who also played  very well yesterday in the quarterfinals is the starter for Switzerland.

#49 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Berra has indeed played good in the 3 starts he got, but he isn't the starter.  Martin Gerber, who also played  very well yesterday in the quarterfinals is the starter for Switzerland.

Should get a really good look at him today as he is scheduled to get the start agsinst usa in the semis

#50 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,087 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Here's Berra's stats...

3009eb82174df55b0964404ac2ec24bf.png

#51 manu11

manu11

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Should get a really good look at him today as he is scheduled to get the start agsinst usa in the semis

Oh, then I must correct myself. I thought they had a clear starter and backup role, but it looks like they keep it a 1a-1b situation. Both goalies played very good so far, but after the great performance from Gerber in the quarterfinals, I expected him to start in the semifinal. Well good for us, we get another look at our goalie.

#52 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Well, I've done more than my share of comments on Karri Ramo, so I'll just leave it at that until we see him next year (IF we see him next year).

Reto Berra, by "perhaps" we can say "definitely" not elite teams he's faced.

He're the current rankings, much easier to read than the IIHF's pdf versions:
http://www.elitepros...012#goaltending

To give you some perspective, Antti Raanta has faced considerably more difficult opposition and shots, has basically the same stats, is three years younger, and is a UFA.

Same with Luka Gracnar, just 19 years old.  Basically the same stats as Reto Berra, and undrafted.  Granted, only one game.

Definition of a strong prospect:  Jon Gibson, 19 years old, better stats that 26-year-old Reto Berra, WAY tougher competition.  If I were Anaheim, I would be excited about that.  But even then, I wouldn't be rushing to any conclusions other than he might, maybe, be ready for the AHL next year.

So, sure, be mildly happy about Reto Berra, but also recognize that there are much better, freely available prospects in this World Cup that no NHL team has ever expressed interest in.  

But as for Ortio putting in a good enough performance to be considered for the AHL next year, I agree and that's what I'm excited about.

All I see here from Reto Berra is that he could make the AHL.  And we should be clear that there is no room for him there.  He is way too old and we have a backlog of young goaltending talent that needs developing (ie., Ortio).  As far as I'm concerned, I'm not convinced that he can be a good backup NHL goaltender, or that he can win the position from one of the other 10 goaltenders in our system right now.  But I'm glad he's doing well.

Berra 1..Gibson 0 id say that was impressive..once again not booking his ticket the all star game yet, but im definitely getting more excited to see what Berra brings us next year

#53 Basti

Basti

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Well I think he showed us today what he can do although he wasnt tested to much. 

What do you think? =) 

#54 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well I think he showed us today what he can do although he wasnt tested to much. 

What do you think? =) 

Well he did stop 30 shots from a group of nhl players..not too shabby. Definitely cause for optimism. I like his style, positionally sound, not huge rebounds, very guick for a big guy. I think the days of butterfly dominance are over..thats why the best goalies are coming out of europe..

#55 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

ok, the shutout was impressive...

#56 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

He looks good but I've only seen him play once. That was today against a USA team made up of NHL players, prospects & AHL players thrown together when they found out what players would be available after the NHL season eliminated teams. Said players hopped a plane & were off to Europe.

I'll wait until I see what he does in either the NHL or AHL against a steady diet of that play on a smaller ice surface with different angles & a different style of play/tempo.

Europe does seem to have replaced the Q as the go-to place for netminders so we'll hope for the best.

#57 Zoller

Zoller

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'll admit the only time I have seen Berra play is in this years IIHF Championship.

What I've noticed so far is that he plays a big mans game. His angles and positioning are sound and he always seems to be in the right spot for that first save. His rebound control is good when he is not over aggressive, and when he does give up a bad rebound he seems to be a little slow when getting back into position or making the second desperation save.

He also seems to play a little deep in his net. That being said he is a Euro goalie playing on the big ice so being deeper in the net is to be expected. I'd like to see if he can get maybe 5-8 inches further out once he makes the jump to the smaller ice.

Also one thing to note is that one of the major reasons European goalies are succeeding in the NHL today is BECAUSE they are taught to play deeper in the net. This makes a goalie focus more on reactions and less on just blocking the puck in the butterfly stance. Quebec style goaltending is outdated and if Canada ever wants to regain its goalie dominance we have a lot of work to do. Unfortunantly, with the smaller ice, things happen faster so goalies end up relying much more on their positioning. Condition a kid from an early age to play that way and we end up with our current goaltending situation. Plainly said, the big ice is better for developing a goalies reactions, and I'm not convinced Canada will ever regain it's goalie dominance.

#58 Flames22

Flames22

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

I just read Berra's stats from the Worlds:

4-0

.967 sv %

1.00 GAA

1 SO

While not against 100% NHL players, he did play some NHL calibre people. Can't complain with those stats. Looking forward to see what he can do in North America.

#59 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

No question he had a stellar worlds.  Lots of goalies perform well in a tournament never to make an impact in the NHL.  But he still climbed a rank or two in my books.