The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
DirtyDeeds

Game Day Thread Creation 101

DD I will try, but my summers are stupid busy. I enjoy the GDT and if I could elevate some pressure off the guys what the hell, I have time in the winter as that is my down time. How much time is require to learn right now could be the issue.

For those of you who say to themselves:

1. I wish i could do those GDT's, I just can't.

2. You guys set such high standards I couldn't compete.

3. I wouldn't be able to do / start of those GDT's.

Sign up below while you have a chance. Even if you just want to know a tad better how to do posts better like insert pictures etc then you will learn how and get some great free tools for this type of thing.

Did I say this is all FREE?? 1 lesson a week will allow you to try in the comfort of your own home and at your own pace. It will give you time to ask questions, try things out and get comfortable and remove your doubts on how hard  easy it really is.

Lesson #1 - Web Tools that are extremely useful in creating these type of posts.

Lesson #2 - Planning and forumlating an outline

Lesson #3 - Compiling and inserting the Data into the Thread.

Lesson #4 - Little tricks to make things look better or overcome some limitations.

I'll do 1 lesson per week, give you a brief  how-to and links to any tools you need to complete the Lesson.

This will run all of May.

Just say "add me DD" below or send me a PM with your interested. I'd like to see 3-4 of you at least involved to do this.

DD I will try, but my summers are stupid busy. I enjoy the GDT and if I could elevate some pressure off the guys what the hell, I have time in the winter as that is my down time. How much time is require to learn right now could be the issue.

It would take a few mins (15-20) once a week at your convenience, for you use & to pick up and save the links from this thread. For example, I sent all my links(everything above) and a brief description how I used stuff to Carty and he ran with what he wanted use. I think he only had a couple questions about spacing in the title or something and the rest he did all on his own.

The only time frame I am setting is me and the fact I will break my things into 4 parts and spread it out over 4 weeks in May. I could easily put it all down in one post and supply all the links and most of you (even the web dummies) could figure out how to in an hour or two of trying and learning from mistakes.

Sure send it I should be ablr to do that

It would take a few mins (15-20) once a week at your convenience, for you use & to pick up and save the links from this thread. For example, I sent all my links(everything above) and a brief description how I used stuff to Carty and he ran with what he wanted use. I think he only had a couple questions about spacing in the title or something and the rest he did all on his own.

The only time frame I am setting is me and the fact I will break my things into 4 parts and spread it out over 4 weeks in May. I could easily put it all down in one post and supply all the links and most of you (even the web dummies) could figure out how to in an hour or two of trying and learning from mistakes.

Well that shows 2 interested. Pyro has agreed to wander into this thread now and then and give his input too. He is the one who helped me get that first GDT up and running with links, websites and ideas on what to do.

I won't send lessons out per say, instead I will just post them here. Anyone can just come visit when they have the time and check it out and follow what I am showing.

There may be a few who would like to take some of the stuff like links for framing screen shot capture software. A lot of what I will put into this thread can be used elsewhere on the forums too, not just in GDT's.

For example a lot of websites don't mind you using their content like pictures as long as you aren't making money off their work. They do however mind if you just direct link that picture from our forums as that adds to their bandwidth use. In lesson #1 I will be showing you how to capture and frame a portion of your screen (or a picture from another website) and link/paste it here it without affecting someone elses usage bill.

I'll also show you where you can get pictures hosted stills and animated and how to post them from there.

I will try to do all this using lits of screen captures of the process so you can refer back to it and see what is going on.

First thing you need to do is make a separate Bookmark Folder for GDT's. I put all my links for the GDT stuff into that folder so I can find it easily when doing a GDT.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In advanced options(Use Full Editor) you get to set some other parameters.

df24a03d64d97a42b5b458c4bcdcf123.png?136

I prefer to remove my signature in GDT's. You can do that by just unchecking that Enable signature?" box on the right.

Also check the "Add edit by line in this post?" checkbox, which allows you to edit a line instead of the whole post. *Note* you may have to save and re-enter the post for this to show up

----------------------------------------------------

You can only edit the title from the "Use Full Editor" button on the bottom.

0673d62a61dc24f12f853dcdc467ea08.png?136

This is a good time to also unclick the "Show Edit by Line" checkbox(if you are re-entering the post). That removes the line at the bottom of your post that shows that you have edited your post and what date and time. (You don't want that as you are going to do lots of small edits and additions).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note* There is a quirk on the title section where it won't allow you to put 2+ Capital letters in a row. It auto corrects "GDT" to this "Gdt". Frustrating but the workaround it to put a space in between the cap letters and the title will accept it. Looks like this "G D T" which is workable.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lesson #1

There is one program I use more than any other in my GDT's creations. It is called gyazo and it is a screen capture program. It is a much more flexible capture program than just a simple screen capture like your Pnt screen button. What it does is allow you to frame(click-hold and frame a square/rectange) the area you want from the full screen. Awesome stuff and perfect for mutiple things we need for GDT's.

You can get gyazo here:

http://gyazo.com/

Of note here is the fact that gyazo hosts all the images you use their program to capture. That means you do not need to find a picture hosting website. You only need to save the link to the picture if you think you will use it again in the future.

Okay now here are some screen pics on how it works:

Those of you who follow my GDT's know I use the Guardian Comic Heros most of the time. I get them here:  http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=66928

85f1d3c7866ecb7ba66a83ae6fab965c.png?136

The page looks something like this but we don't want to cature the whole page so say we just want the Flames one... Gyazo to the rescue....

We can capture just the Flames Hero Like this:

1. Click the gyazo icon on your taskbar and you get a crosshairs from which you can frame the Flames picture part of the screen that you only want.

2. You will get a separate tab pop up with your framed area ready for processing.

2169f5d3e528acd354c8e95de97423e5.png?136

3. The program says it copies the image to your clipboard but the fourms can't use it in this form so I right click the image and from that drop down menu you see above click the " copy image location ". (3rd from the top)

4. Come back to your post and click the little insert "Image Icon I have an arrow pointed too and paste from your clipboard the image *

Note* You have to click your curser in the post at the spot you want to insert your picture. I like to add a blank line before and after where I want to insert so it makes it weasier to click and continue on below. When the Picture is big and the last thing in your post it can be difficult to add stuff below it.

4f87e8377df0195c6c329cac8f239e83.png?136

Voila you are done and have that picture you wanted. You can Add a "text title" or "center it" or do  other Advanced Options via "Use full Editor" button at the bottom.

Captured Flames Comic Hero

2bd6811838227b0e629c04aab033a339.png?136

So now you know how to get captured images from your computer screen and into your posts. Your homework is to practice doing it in this thread *keep them clean please*.

*NOTE* There is a limit to the number of Pictures you can post into one post. This is why you see many GDT creators reserving multiple posts. That is so they can have the space to post a bunch of pictures all in a row. The limit used to be 10 pictures per post but not sure what that number is with the new Forums Build/Upgrade.

Lesson #1 con't

So let me expand your thinking here.

Open a  separate tab and head on over to this website: Remember to bookmark it.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/17/calgary-flames

On this page you will see the lineup using the Jersies of the last Flames games. Something like this...

3293170518e8a92ffbb262115b347968.png?136

All you need to do is center the graphics how you want then use gyazo to frame and capture it.

Note at this time Some of you use older small resolution monitors and it may not fit fully on your screen. You may have to take 2x gyazo screen snapshots to get the full lineup.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On that same website you will see a "Starting Goalies" link.

50183ac8291b83a5e7e7ed3c55de918d.png?136

---------------------------------------------

That is where I get the Goaltenders data and pictures. Unfortunately there are no games today so no graphics are up and posted there today. They would look something like this:

07eb25316e1477d921f250ce1b49c262.png?136

-----------------------------------------------------

Here are some links to some other stuff I capture with gyazo:

Tale of the Tape:    Remember to bookmark it.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/tott.cgi?tid=Cgy&opptid=Edm

This usually takes 3 or more screen snapshots to get the whole thing. Just be careful with your side borders so it looks okay and start your next capture exactly where you finished up the previous one. Easy to do...

More Tools

Webhosting:

I use Tiny Pic

http://tinypic.com/

You need a webhost to host some pictures, animated gifs etc. While gyazo hosts all its own stuff you create through it that program for you, it just doesn't do animation at all. Tinypic does this and gives you a forums ready link. (Image tags on each end) so all you do is copy and paste it to the spot you want in the post.

---------------------------------------

Title and Banner Generation

I use 2. There are others but the selection is pretty good with these two.

Logo & Banner Design

http://www1.flamingtext.com/

This one allows you to generate all sorts of banners and also use a background picture if you want. You could use the picture for a signature too.

s3lso4.png

Even "The Beatles"(above pic) are flames Fans !!

On this image I used a simple background picture. I only added the "Go Flames GO !!!" to the image using a script style font. I could have used gyazo to capture it, but they were down for maintenance, so I saved the output to my computer and used 'tinypic" hosting above to get it in a useful format for these forums.

For a signature you would likely have to find the backgound graphic you wanted and resize it to signature dimensions first. You could do that using paint or any of the phot editing programs around the web.

Logo & Banner Design

http://cooltext.com/

Huge selection of Typefaces, fonts, colors and lots of animations too. Mostly a banner or text type generation program.

za1dv.gif

Again I created and saved this banner text. I then uploaded it to tinypic because it is animated. If it was non-animated I would have just generated the output banner and used gyazo to get the image for the forums.

Animated Gifs

http://gifsoup.com/

I have used this only a couple of times. You can put together a few still pics and make them into an animated gif or you can use YouTubes and make an animated gif.

Animated Gifs

http://gickr.com/

Use gliker sparingly and with caution. I was told there are some imbedded links and cookies referenced in the output image. Easy to put multiple images and combine them into 1 animated gif. Sort of a slideshow in 1 .gif

Photo Editing

I use windows built in Paint for most basic stuff. You may find it limiting.

If you can't afford Photoshop(hundreds of $$ for the basic program) then there are choices and some even free.

Free Source Photo Editing :

One I use is GIMP 2(Almost as good)

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

*Note* They do not supply a Windows installer with this program however they do supply a link to an installer so you can download it and install into windows. (2 downloads is all)

This concludes Week 1    Lesson #1.

You should know enough basics after practicing this Lesson to actually do a simple but a very attradctive GDT already with just the one tool.

Lesson #2 is formulating an outline.

I'll post it Next Monday.

If anyone has questions or difficulties that need answering both Pyro and I will be popping into this thread to help you out. Just post where you need advice or what you are having problems with and we can get the answer to you soon enough.

Lesson #2 - Planning and formulating an outline

This weeks lesson is more of a read and learn compared to last weeks Lesson #1.

So the first thing I would like you to do is go look at a couple of other GDT's(not mine) and see what those authors have put together. Once you have done that ask yourself a couple of questions.

• How many pages are you going to need? With a 10 pics/page limit you can expect a few pages if you want to do a lot of title banners or insert linup pictures. They add up quickly.
  • If you are in the process of reserving pages it is a good idea to do it late at night or put a comment in your post telling other posters you are in the process of saving the pages you need and ask them not to post "Yet". Again it takes 7-10 mins for teh timer to open another post before you can actually reserve another post. If you do it too soon it will only add it to the bottom of your last post.
  • This is also the time you might want to insrt a poll into the title page. Polls can be anything from who is going to win and by how many goals or just about anything that would be a "poll de Jour". Sometimes an obscure title will get you lots of extra comments post from people who want to talk about the poll.

Title Page
You now want to think about a cover or 1st page which will be your Title page. Mine always have the same basic things on them and I try to use a similar template every time.

<Grab Attention Title>
This year for me it was using the tile graphic "It's Gameday" Each game I would change it up using one of the Logo & Banner Design websites. One day it would be carved in marble, next day look like a storefront light message. Does not matter just a title and attention grabber.

77c1874662501e0116040bfc532c414d.png?136

or 4c303fc45d75682b9a13b8a57412848b.png?135

On Western Night I decided to actually turn my theme into a similar GDT theme and used this opening:

991ca7aab60b484e1a35e5d0241e5204.png?136

0048.gif0072.gif

These types Animations are all over the web and a quick google search for something like "Cowboys animated gif or pictures" will get you links to thousands of animated cowboy pictures and animated gifs. To use the animated ones you need to download them, and then use a hosting webside like Tinypic I linked in lesson #1.

*Notes*  there are a few websites that do not mind you direct linking their pictures and gifs they offer. Those websites usually offer some links with those pictures to make it easier.

There eare a lot of "Stock picture" websites around, who charge for their photos and work. Some do it on a per picture fee basis or a subscription fee to access all their pictures. Please do not steal these pictures. Most of the "Stock Photo" places put a watermark on their photos to discourage you from using them.

<Game data>
This is the Date Time and who we played on gameday. I always kept the format Flames @ [insert team here] and how those who browsed the thread could find the game be in on which TV station or a direct link to the Fan 960.

Here is one example direct from one game.

8a08a6c7631b388b6c4dd7af6529ad64.png
Take this line:

To make a clickable link do the following.
SNET & Fan 960  <---- Clickable link to open the radio webcast.

Highlight the FAN 960 part
8e1ff8351e996cba01e415cfd1db2cab.png
and using the link insert the web radio webcast URL in the pop up
http://player.rogersradio.ca/cfac/on_air

and you get a clickable Link to the broadcast you can listen to on the web. You can insert links to just about anywhere. Player profiles, A blog on topic, another Flames Thread onour forums just about anything.

<Team Comparison>
I found this over in yahoo sports and it was pretty sweet. Just a brief show of who was each teams top goal scorers, assists, most penalties that type of thing. Short and sweet.

b355ce601119e533effd6e2bca0fb61c.png?136

<Game Preview>
Most days I would just grab a gyazo screen capture of the one off the front page. Some days I preferred to go elsewhere. Previews are all over the web but all the major sports website have one for each game. CBS, FOX Sports, SI, Yahoo Sports all do some or use the same one from the NHL.

<Music Video>
Hockey and Music go together well. I like to mix it up and really some days the theme of the GDT also fits the music video and some days it is just good tunes. I use YouTube Videos. Grab the web address and put it between the media tags

256d3e1e26c7920d54d82a2efd6dc158.png

and it should run. Sound files run in the same media tags too.

-------------------------------------------

ctdozer_e0.gif

Lesson #2 Con't

Page #2 Planning and formulating an outline

On Page #2 of my GDT's I like to put all my lineups and starting Goalies.

<Lineups Title graphic>
First a Banner type Lineups or sometimes I used an animated reporter as if he was announcing the lineups. Often I would use both.

verslaggever2.gif

cc5d77556d4af09b86806e31124129b1.png

<Flames Lineup>
Gyazo screen grab of the Jersies lineups from here: http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/17/calgary-flames/

<Opposition Team Lineups>
Gyazo screen grab of the Jersies lineups of the Opponents

From the same website as above Flames section you can choose any NHL teams Jersies:

Click treram lineup tab and then the icon of the team you want to see the Jersies of.

0108f9626a6a383a60b8637e1335707a.png

<late changes>
 I also had a late changes section which is quite useful. Getting updates on lineups on away games proved to be tough all season. You never know when someone would or wouldn't tweet. Pat Steinberg proved to be a good steady source each home game as he went to most of the morning practices on game day and reported the likely lineups from what lines he saw together during practice. He would do a short article on the SNet Fan 960 website: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/

I felt it was important to not clutter the start of page one with lineups and to get that data in on page 2 because most people want to know who is playing and where(what line etc). I don't think many people actually read absolutely everything you put into a GDT but everyone will read or go to the parts of interest of your threads if they know you have it in there.

Page #3 - Planning and formulating an outline con't

I normally use 3 pages. I noticed Kulstad and Carty often used more 4-5 pages. You should consider in your outline how many pictures you want to add to your GDT. with a limit of 10 pictures per page the page limit can be filled quite quickly.

Oiler forums you are lucky to get a 1 post half a paragraph. I'll pass if that is what our Flames Forums posters prefer.

As for page 3 let continue on.

I liked 2 additions to this page. The guardian Comic heros for each team and the Tale of the Tape Full Data

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=66928

9d09a3435110b057c52fd5e99a3735fc.png

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/tott.cgi?Cgy&oppTeam=Mtl

You can easily change the teams you want to compare in "Tale of the Tape" by selecting each team in the drop down menus indicated here:

aa3270e3132745626fcc4b64c44b6cd5.png

<Tale of the Tape Header>
I used a different banner created each time I did not feel bored or had time to do a new one.

Again I used the banner title websites to create the title graphics.

e59291190637410c350d1ac01708e9d6.png

<Tale of the Tape>
Multiple Screen captures using Gyazo from this comprehensive Teams comparison.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/tott.cgi?Cgy&oppTeam=Mtl

<insert Flames Cheer Banner>
Fireworks, "Go Flames" Banners, Late News anything goes to finish up a GDT thread.

fireworksanimation-11.gif

jg3195.gif

Again if you are in the process of reserving pages it is a good idea to do it late at night or put a comment in your post telling other posters you are in the process of saving the pages you need and ask them not to post "Yet". As soon as you have the pages you need remember to open the GDT so others can post once you have your pages saved. Don't worry if you haven't put anything into them, the Flames posters are a patient bunch and appreciate your hard work. .

By now you might wonder why I am titling each header with brackets. that is the same way I do my basic template for gamedays threads. It is tougher to go from top to bottom and I find I am working on multiple sections on different pages as I put it together. Stuff like final lineups can't be done the day before because no one knows so it has to wait.

So my page #1 template looks like this before I start.

<Grab Attention Title>

<Game data>

<Team Comparison>

<Game Preview>

<Music Video>

I actually post the titles and leave them there until I fill in that section. If I come back the next day it is easy to find the sections that still need to be filled in and completed.

Please note this is just my own template. It is not me saying you have to do things my way.
You should do a template that is for you.
Doing a template even if just a simple one, will make your whole GD Thread design flow much better. you will notice if pages are evenly spaced for data or overloaded.

Keep in mind there are limits like 10 pictures per post, and 1 vid file per post. So if you want to insert 5 music videos in your GDT's you will need **5 pages reserved.(1 page per video)

**Remember also to reserve pages you need to wait 7-10 mins between posts. If you attempt to save the next page before that timer expires it will just add it to the bottom of your last post.

Next Monday I will post Lesson #3.

Lesson #3 - Compiling and inserting the Data into the Thread  is probably my weakest area.

It will be short and sweet but will focus on using the icons within our post menus. Some of this lessons content will be rehashed material I have already covered.

Lesson #3 will deal with the built in menu selections. The advanced menu should look like this:
3c0adefaa38191cfa11fa9ac273fe8c4.png

We will start top left and work our way left to right just like reading a book. Since this is my weakest area I welcome suggestions or posts on how to better utilize some of these icons. I have not use a bunch of these on the new board upgrades so some of this lesson will be exploration and discovery on what the icon actually does.

Let us continue.

Top left disk looking icon does nothing. Well it shuts down formatting and won't let you. It is a toggle on/off of formatting.

Eraser Icon

Erases code you have put on a selection of type like Bold, Italics coloured etc.

Special BBCode Popdown:

Acronym-

Background-color
Here is where you are able to add a Background color to your text Typing red into the upper title popup box will put a red background behind whatever you type between the tags created. *Note in the popup selection it is better to type in your text you want highlighted in the box than to highlight the text and try to color the backgound after. 588c621c812d5ee1f464a6a11c516d42.png

"Here is an example of a background highlighted sentence."

Link to a Blog / Blog Entry :
These two seem to be self explainatory.

Extract Blog Entry:
Anyone who blogs care to test this and the two above please? I'll update with your findings.

Horizontal Rule
Not sure what this does. Just adds one tag to front of anything you type. Php boards calls it Horizontal line.

Media
You want to have your sound or YouTubes show up in the post? here you can tag your webfile Address
ebad536967d87b0588bbc4e50298e043.png

Here you can link to your profile or any forums member profile.
Example of a link to my profile: @DirtyDeeds
Notice how it now mouses over my linked forums name with the small popup?
Make sure to add my to your friends list, I don't bite.....much.

Multi-Page Articles
Not sure what this is about but it sounds like it could be something handy when doing large GDT's. I'll update when I toy around with this a bit.
93fd5ac933fef983bcc4499d40f29a41.png
Post Link
If you want to tag a specific post within a thread and provide a link to it use this option. It also appears you can put a title on it too. I have not tested this one yet but looks like it may be really useful when I regularly want to trash Connors posts.

Spoiler
Here you can hide behind a "show button" spoilers. I'll use and example here:
The Nucks - Sharks series was amusing to watch. Lots of frustration from both sides however only

Sharks won all 4 games and swept the Nucks

one moves on to the next round.

Test
not sure what test does althought it appears to bold whatever is typed between the tags.

Topic Link
Here you can link to any thread in all of the Flames Forums
Lets use kehatchs Prospect rankings for example
http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19184-ranking-the-kids/
notice you will need only the #19184 from the web URL. These forums assign a thread number to each one created. You can then put your own tile or use kehatchs title to it. and it will then put a link to this thread from the Flames Section.
47e303fc1316b5885605d64e287714ad.png

Twitter
I'll assume this allows you to link your/anyones twitter.

That concludes the Special BBCode drop down menu. I learned a few things just going over the items available and hidden in that icon.

The Next few Icons/Menu selctions are pretty straight forward.

Font
Font Change the base font to one a tad different
This is an example sentence to show whator how you changed the basic default type / size / color/ etc
<insert a Comic Sans MS font example>
<insert a size 18 increase type example>
<insert a color change type example>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smiley's
Here you can insert a smiley face icon from the limited selection :blush: . I have many more saved on my computer in a seperate dirctory many are animated. I just upload the ones I want to use to tinypic.com and use the link when I post them here. *Note* clicking the little smiley icon places a small pick menu on the bottom of the post with arrows to move and show the extras.

Just under the smiles is a "Show all" Clicking it will bring a Popup Window of selectable Icons.

eac78ad048a901743b9386cde1bb6a25.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Media
This appears to be media you have uploaded to this forums that you want to share. I have not useed this feature but assume it has a size sotrage limit and no idea what media types it is limited too. (ie vids sound animated graphics etc)

Find  Replace
Looks like a post search. You can search(find) certain phrases or words (case specific too) and also replace them. Not to be confused with a spell check but you can replace something like a players name you miss-typed multiple times within a post.

Undo & Redo
Erase what you just typed or pic you linked or then redo it back in. I assume it has to do with auto save or based on a time limit.

Copy
Built in Copy - Highlight(Click and drag) and right click works fine too.

Hightlight and Hotkey is "Ctrl-C" to copy works as well.

Paste
Built in Paste - click where you want to insert and right click works fine too

Click and Hotkey is "Ctrl-V" to paste works as well.

Paste from Word
Seems straight forward. You must have a word document and whatever you want to transfer highlighted and copied from it it to your clipboard. The popup says this and gives you a keystroke command to paste your word data to pste it in the post.:
"Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window.
Please paste inside the following box using the keyboard (Ctrl/Cmd+V) and hit OK"

Options
Editor defaults options you can select:
x Paste as plain text by default (this is checked on default)
 *  Clear my saved content (this is checked off default)

That concludes Page #1 Lesson #3, the Upper section of the built-in menu.

Page #2 Lesson #3 is the lower section of the built-in menu.

Con't

Page #2 Lesson #3 is the lower section of the built-in menu.

The Typeface Section:

4fca92e8882dbeb655e5a40108d673ae.png

From left to right:

Bold:

Example of bolded text

Italic:

Example of Italicised text

Underline:

Example of Underlined text

Strike Through:

Example of Struck Through text

Subscript

Example of Subscript  " H2O "

Highlight the "2" Drops down the "2"

Superscript

Example of Superscript  " X2 "

Highlight the "2" Raises up the "2"

Bullet Menu

48dbb9aafbfa857840acf6ae9b3b2016.png

Two choices Bullet Dots & Numbered bullets. Examples:

Two choices

•  
  • Bullet Dots
  •  
  • Numbered bullets.
  •  

Two choices

2. Bullet Dots
  4. Numbered bullets.

Linking Section

43f1b191e695f36c8c443d59dd0cb421.png

Little Chain Icon:

Highlight and link to URL on the web

Example: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Pages

Little Broken Chain Icon

Removes the embedded link

Framed Greenish Square (supposed to be a picture)

You may link any picture here. Just use a storage website or link to the picture if allowed by that website.

*Side Notes: refrain from stealing pictures from websites that sell stock photos, there are loads of free ones around. As well don't direct link to pictures on someones website unless they tell you it is okay. You might be increasing their web traffic by a large amount and many websites are charged by traffic amounts(bandwidth used).

Copy and save the image and find a free hosting website like tinypic.com and upload it there is safest way to go about it.

Code: < >

There is some code allowed and here is where to do it. I do not use code so can't help you here.

Quote:

Simple way to quote hightlighted text

Show Blocks:

Shows invisible lines seperation like this:

73e496c3563d624ffe1ee4a868ce1c06.png

Twitter:

Here you can link a twitter account

09e9ac137cafe1f26c2d7fe59a52742b.png

Indents & Centering

a2569ef37c2821929a91700080f5e124.png

Note you use the Increase Indent "1st" to place "Tab Indents"

Decrease Indent *Note* this changes the margin so the last place you indented to will be the starting indent when doing another line.

2-Tab Indent example

Decreased Indent by 1 Tab example

Increase Indent *Note* this changes the margin so the last place you indented to will be the starting indent when doing another line.

Standard Indent (1 Tab)

Increased Indent (2 Tab)

Left side Margin

All Text starts from left hand margin

Centered text

All text is centered example

Right side Margin

All Text is from right side margin.

I use these 3 a lot in my game day threads, especially the centered text.

You need to put pictures side by side but don't want to have the page look lopsided?

You can put both together and center the whole string. Like this:

2dd077199434bde3816dc53ed1561731.png vs 380f847014f7a71e590b42c42d6075d2.png

Note I added a small "VS" in between the pictures with a space before and after.

Collapse Menu:

You can toggle on & off all the menu buttons with this indicated button:

df3b3daadd83580342e1f760de521066.png

Right side Menu Choices

f2a21133bbe03fed613e2bc8717ffed8.png

Off to the right you can enable or disable emoticons(smileys)

On GDT's I disable my sig graphics

You can follow the topic. I believe you need to have this function enabled in your edit account as well to receive notifications.

Once you have saved and enter a post to edit it there is the add edit by line option That allows you to edit a single line instead of the whole paragraph or post. Almost must check it for GDT's.

This concludes the week #3  3rd Lesson.

Final Lesson #4 - Little tricks to make things look better or overcome  limitations.

Next Monday.

Lesson #4 - Little tricks to make things look better or overcome  limitations.

14a0b5388fe3eddfb73790fc97119f5f.png

This Lesson and page will be in continual update for awhile.

I will just add some hints and tricks as they come to mind

and add others tips as they post them below.

Lesson #4

Often with the new boards(This new 3.4.3 version of the IP boards) when you highlight a text for replacement when you go to paste the new text over the highlighted old text(same with pictures) it just pastes the new content at the top of the post.

• To get around this delete the old text/content and then click where you want the new text to go and the paste should work fine.

-------------------------------------------------

With the old boards you couldn't just hit the "enter button to add line spacing" between sections of your post. I used to use periods. 1 per line put them in the smallest font size available something like this

• When really small it does not show up and easily puts the spacing in for you. You can with the new boards just hit enter 3 times and the post will allow it now. Still using the periods helps sometimes even for a temporary make sure your spacing is even check.

---------------------------------------------------

It should go without saying that most titles should be at least Bolded and probably underlined. I prefer to center my titles in most cases.

Example Centered Title

Example Centered sub Title

Going the extra effort to underline and bold your titles really helps to make your posts and GDT's look more professional.

-------------------------------------------------------

I notice a lot of our posters are having trouble with the new forums. When they try to post in reply to another post they end up posting the reply above the quoted and framed post.

• The solution is simple: First you can use your right arrow button or down arrow(both) to take the curser to the bottom of the quoted text. It usually stops at the inside and end of the framed post. Just hit the enter twice and it will pop the curser out of the box and under the quoted and framed post.

----------------------------------------------------

I would like to ask all Our other GDT Creaters and those that know some handy hints on how to do things around the posting menus to create their lists of hints and tricks they use to get around limitations.

I'll Add them all to this post in Post #15 under this one.

Con't

Hints and tricks to help you improve you posts or make it easier:

Contributions from the Flames Poster Population:

------------------------

@Pyromancer mentioned:
I am primarily Ctrl-PrtScr (capture), Microsoft Paint (edit), Photobucket (save) creator.
I also occasionally use a few other programs beyond the scope of this tutorial.

------------------------

@Kulstad talked about linking to posts through the Main Flames Website Menu in Post #34:

------------------------

As to how to get linked post info...
@CastleMania explained:
Just click the post number in the top right corner of any post. It will give you a bookmark. Copy, and paste.

That would extract this link for the post by Kulstad in the above example.

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19161-game-day-thread-creation-101/?p=614530

------------------------

I'm going to sticky this and leave it up there as long as you finish the tutorial Deeds. Thanks for doing this (hopefully we get chat up and running for next season)!

P.S., If you need me to delete this, or any of the above comments, just let me know.

I'm going to sticky this and leave it up there as long as you finish the tutorial Deeds. Thanks for doing this (hopefully we get chat up and running for next season)!

P.S., If you need me to delete this, or any of the above comments, just let me know.

Thanks for the "Sticky" I intend to finish it. It is a project I have budgeted my time so as to spread out for most of May. (approx 4 weeks)

I only have one concern and that is if and when we close down the GDT section of the forums can we move it elsewhere first so it can be saved and brought back for reference next year? I'd hate to have to do all this over again next year.

We should be good here I have reserved the posts I envision I need. The next few lessons are not that long they will require post #16 cleared. Thanks.

Lessons are now officially open

• Anyone is welcome to ask questions, test their homework, work out the bugs, etc in this thread.
  • Please try to keep your questions or concerns to the lesson material so we don't get ahead of ourselves.
  • Any other material or methods and suggestions are now open to discussion here.

So couple questiosn DD. Sometimes i get kick out of the GDT postiings.

1) is it easier to down load everything in to a seperate folder like in Gyzaco?

2) Cant seem to fiqure out the animation one? My lap top also only allow me to copy do not cut the shortcut option?

3) I can not seem to find the jerseys for the line ups or are the no longer up.

4) any idea where everyone else gets the other options other than the comic ones?

Thanks for your help seem to be getting it. Might try one with a playoff game.

Okay if you are getting kicked out of postings then you can open up a empty wordpad or notepad and just keep it in your taskbar. When I am doing lots of copy and pastes I put them there first then into the Thread when I have it all together and ready. As well I save the posts a lot while still working on them and open (Edit them) multiple times.

We don't have access to the gyazo folder per say so make sure you save the address of stuff you want to keep until you get it posted. Once posted you can copy it again and use it elsewhere from the thread.

Animation one. I think I understand what you are asking. So lets say you run into this animated comic on the web somewhere that you want to use.

Example

300fupv.gif

Instead of direct linking it you canusually right click the image and "Save as" to your computer. Make sure you make a mental note of where you save these things.

Once saved on your computer go to tinypic.com

From this part of their front page menu select the browse button

a2c03bf8f75b2fd5707a5a60a67b7e27.png

That will open a pop up directory menu on your computer so you can go to that directory you save teh picture to and select it.

Upload it and you will have to do the answer the question part and if successful you wil;l see a page that looks like this:

1cc2169b4a05db20c69f1ea40ac0bfad.png

2 of these links above will work the "IMG Code(2nd one) or the bottom direct link. Click and copy it to you clipboard or your notepad you have opened up earlier.

If you use the direct link you need to use the image button and paste it in the pop up.

49991161f13137ad1e26c31f71b84503.png

If you use the 2nd one with the imag tags already on it :

bbf9481f453f8dd72415692112ab2ffe.png

you can just paste it right to the page and the image will appear when you save or refresh the post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

When I go to this page http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/17/calgary-flames/

This is what I see. The Jersies are still there.

250ff339d5d0e901aacb6b9308fd082e.png

If it is busy then sometimes it takes a few seconds to load the pictures or sometimes pages load and a couple of the jersies are missing. Regfreshing the page usually gets them all loaded.

Pyro ?? Carty?? Kulstad?? care to share some of your website you have saved for GDT content?? I'll be posting most of my links in this thread as I do my lessons.

If I failed to explain things for you ask again or rephrase it please and we will get you sorted out. Sounds like you aren't loading the Jersies on the Team Flames page. There is a lineup button on that page to pick different teams.

From the Blues lineup page:

centering the weblink

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/38/st-louis-blues

8d7c3ccdaed3a0d50e71320745c58e7c.png

from the LA page

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/26/los-angeles-kings

d5ea39ba78b1929662859f2ee4b2aba7.png

On a side note you can bypass the clipboard clicking part of copy and paste using the old Windows DOS commands for those functions:

Hotkeys are

Copy to clipboard is   " Ctrl-C "

Paste from clipboard  " CTRL-V "

Sometimes when you have some popup open on your screen you can't use the mouse so I use the hotkeys instead.

See I dont see and jerseys, I will try the other stuff when I get a chance. I think I have a understanding of how it works. I guess one othr question is when I paste or save a GDT page for construction, how does one go in and edit.

From the Blues lineup page:

centering the weblink

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/38/st-louis-blues

8d7c3ccdaed3a0d50e71320745c58e7c.png

from the LA page

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/26/los-angeles-kings

d5ea39ba78b1929662859f2ee4b2aba7.png

On a side note you can bypass the clipboard clicking part of copy and paste using the old Windows DOS commands for those functions:

Hotkeys are

Copy to clipboard is   " Ctrl-C "

Paste from clipboard  " CTRL-V "

Sometimes when you have some popup open on your screen you can't use the mouse so I use the hotkeys instead.