The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
DirtyDeeds

Game Day Thread Creation 101

I would try to help in this particular instance but I use slightly different methods.

I am primarily Ctrl-PrtScr (capture), Microsoft Paint (edit), Photobucket (save) creator.

I also occasionally use a few other programs beyond the scope of this tutorial.

As for the editing, there is a "Edit" button at the bottom of every post.

My version created in 5-10 mins using MS Paint.

I open 2 MS Paint windows - One for the image and one for the Ctrl-PrtScr captures to cut & paste from.

In this instance, I used cut & paste to narrow the lineups and allow the teams to be represented beside each other.

I have the graphic on my PC and, if necessary, I can swap or add players on lines using cut & paste, then re-upload to PhotoBucket.

I will let DirtyDeeds guide you in his approach to get you started but don't be afraid to develop your own methods. :)

SJSvsVAN-13-05-05_zpsbacf8e33.png

See I dont see and jerseys, I will try the other stuff when I get a chance. I think I have a understanding of how it works. I guess one othr question is when I paste or save a GDT page for construction, how does one go in and edit.

If you look at the bottom of a post you have already saved 1 time "bottom right"

8455f6a40df722651de2dec47f8c4fe1.png

See the edit button to the left of the MultiQuote botton? When you mouse over it it will highlight with a dark grey/blacker and easier to see / Click it.

My first thought on the Jersey's not showing up is you might have something like (security) settings  preventing them from showing.

Can someone else go to this web address and see if they are see Jerseys there too or am I working on some saved version on my computer?

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/17/calgary-flames/

Then again earlier you got the goalies so something is preventing you from seeing the Jerseys page.

Single Jerseys can be made for home,  away, Heritage, retro etc from this different website:

http://jerseydatabase.com/teamros.php?t=Calgary%20Flames&l=nhl

Not sure I would want to put forth the effort to put a team set from the single Jerseys website and paint but you could do it if you had Pyro's skill.

I will continue researching the other website on why you are not seeing the graphics there, but it may be hard for me unless I can duplicate the problem. I know I delete my history and stuff regularly and it then only takes a tad longer to load up for me.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/17/calgary-flames/

Loads fine for me & it has always been instantaneous.

Sometimes websites are tailored for specific browsers.

In my case, I use FireFox.....

I use Firefox too but just checked google chrome and is working.

Lets see what Internet Explorer from Windows does:

1zx1vtt.png

Okay I suspect this is what you are seeing.... Looks up a few posts to some of your early attempts and it looks the same.

K got the edit button thanks, never noticed it before. Yes what you posted below for the jerseys is what i am getting. Strange I get the goalies but not the players line up.....I will check with my settings .

Thanks guys...

I use Firefox too but just checked google chrome and is working.

Lets see what Internet Explorer from Windows does:

1zx1vtt.png

Okay I suspect this is what you are seeing.... Looks up a few posts to some of your early attempts and it looks the same.

Just tried the wives Ipad and it works so it has to be my lap top... Have to fiqure out the settings so I can download them

K got the edit button thanks, never noticed it before. Yes what you posted below for the jerseys is what i am getting. Strange I get the goalies but not the players line up.....I will check with my settings .

Thanks guys...

Pyro ?? Carty?? kulstad?? care to share some of your website you have saved for GDT content?? I'll be posting most of my links in this thread as I do my lessons.

The only links I have that I don't think you've shown yet (great job, BTW) are the news links I use.

in the top portion of each page is the menu bar:

menu-bar_zps4cca621c.gif

click the SCHEDULE menu and select the Game Calendar

menu-schedule_zps8f0baaeb.gif

You will end up at a page that looks like this:

schedule_zps08e680c5.gif

Click the game you are doing the GDT for (in this instance, the Vancouver game on April 10)

game_zpsa2e4d9e5.gif

Now, typically there is a PREVIEW button on this pop-up (not in this example, because the game is played and the season is over).  Clicking the PREVIEW button will take you to a page with 1-2 news articles like a Scouting Report or Players To Watch, etc.

Also, keep an eye on the right-hand-side sidebars for news articles that may be of interest:

news-items_zpsaf334d75.gif

Take screenshots of the news articles, and chop them up with your favourite image program (I use Photoshop CS5).  Play around with the image width and heights before you upload and link them in your post, as the boards tend to compress/shrink images every once in awhile.  Typically, my news articles were 3 separate images each, and the way the boards interpret carriage returns, the images can be pieced together nicely.

I also use Photobucket to save/host my images.  It allows me to make multiple folders, so each of my GDTs are their own folder (makes it easier to manage and organize...at least to me)

Good stuff Kulstad. Thanks for that. I don't do a lot of linking that way but have from time to time taken a screenshot capture of the preview.

You could also do something like this I suppose:

• I have used the player profile picture with a direct link
  • I have linked the players profile to both the title and the picture
  • You can click the linked title of each player now  or the linked pictures and it will take you to his profile linked on this website.

The 3 stars from the game were:

1st star

8474150.jpg

2nd Star

8474673.jpg

3rd Star

8462147.jpg

My version created in 5-10 mins using MS Paint.

I open 2 MS Paint windows - One for the image and one for the Ctrl-PrtScr captures to cut & paste from.

In this instance, I used cut & paste to narrow the lineups and allow the teams to be represented beside each other.

I have the graphic on my PC and, if necessary, I can swap or add players on lines using cut & paste, then re-upload to PhotoBucket.

I will let DirtyDeeds guide you in his approach to get you started but don't be afraid to develop your own methods. :)

This is exactly what I was hoping for. All the GDT creaters and most posters should do things differently just like your example above.

• Kulstad does his GDT's similar to you do in that he likes to photshop his graphics too.
  • Carty likes to use different webgraphics(ie CBC lineups) and data that seperates his GDT's from everyone elses.

Thanks for your input on how you do things. I don't want "how I do things", to be the only choice or alternative.

Choice is good. Creativity is good too.

Hey DD where is lesson #2 I must be blind, I don't see it

Lesson #2 of 4 is up and pretty much done for this Week.

Hey DD where is lesson #2 I must be blind, I don't see it

Glad you asked. I posted it in the "2 reserved posts" I had saved just below  Lesson #1 back at the beginning. Lesson #2 starts at post #10. When I post Lesson #3, I will use the 2x reserved posts back at the beginning just under Lesson #2.

The reason I said glad you asked is because I ran into a way to link  threads and posts while compiling some of  Lesson #3 so I get to check out the functionality (Hopefully it works if I understand it.)

You should be able to click this link and get to Lesson #2

You can get to the post by clicking the underlined Lesson #2 above

or

just clicking the link address below.

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19161-game-day-thread-creation-101/?p=614074'

Glad you asked. I posted it in the "2 reserved posts" I had saved just below  Lesson #1 back at the beginning. Lesson #2 starts at post #10. When I post Lesson #3, I will use the 2x reserved posts back at the beginning just under Lesson #2.

The reason I said glad you asked is because I ran into a way to link  threads and posts while compiling some of  Lesson #3 so I get to check out the functionality (Hopefully it works if I understand it.)

You should be able to click this link and get to Lesson #2

You can get to the post by clicking the underlined Lesson #2 above

or

just clicking the link address below.

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19161-game-day-thread-creation-101/?p=614074'

Let me help you with the easiest way of doing this.

Just click the post number in the top right corner of any post. It will give you a bookmark. Copy, and paste.

If that's how you did it, then this was redundant :)

Авто из Германии, Бельгии, Голландии с пробегом. покупка автомобиля с пробегом, оформление таможенных документов, растаможка машины. поддержанные автомобили из германии

Авто из Германии, Бельгии, Голландии с пробегом. покупка автомобиля с пробегом, оформление таможенных документов, растаможка машины. поддержанные авто германия

Авто из Германии, Бельгии, Голландии с пробегом. покупка автомобиля с пробегом, оформление таможенных документов, растаможка машины. сайты для поиска автомобилей в германии

Авто из Германии, Бельгии, Голландии с пробегом. покупка автомобиля с пробегом, оформление таможенных документов, растаможка машины. растаможка авто

Авто из Германии, Бельгии, Голландии с пробегом. покупка автомобиля с пробегом, оформление таможенных документов, растаможка машины. надежный автомобиль

Авто из Германии, Бельгии, Голландии с пробегом. покупка автомобиля с пробегом, оформление таможенных документов, растаможка машины. машины из германии

Авто из Германии, Бельгии, Голландии с пробегом. покупка автомобиля с пробегом, оформление таможенных документов, растаможка машины. поддержанные автомобили из германии

This thread is very awesome, you guys make me miss making a GDT :(

Thx Anie. We have a bunch of creative people on the forums who like to do GDT's.

I notice that Gyazo (lesson #1 screen capture) is now allowing you to link your email to their storage. Just open an account (Hotmail etc) and you can view all your past captured images. Pretty cool if as long as they stay true to their promise to not sell your email or spam you with offers.

I found a video capture program that is worthy of use. It is an all -in-one program for screen captures, frame and area captures, full page captures and it does both still picture captures or video. The only downside is is does not capture sound with the video capture. I am not going to give you the link here but send me a PM and I can tell you what/how to get it.

Much too dangerous a program for some of you posters. xxd8h.gif

Firefox Spell Checker.

On a side note some people have lost their Firefox spell checker especially on IP Board Forums.

This procedure below should help you to get it back.

Ever since AVSIM (*and many other sites who use IPBoard) switched to this new version of the forum software, I had lost the squiggly red-underline spellchecking feature which Firefox has so faithfully provided. Other browsers seemingly had no issues, but something went bad for Firefox users after IPBoard got updated.

•     Start by opening any forum, and either "Start A New Topic" or "Reply to an Existing Topic" as if you wished to actually post.

•     Type any word in the body of your message... preferably a misspelled word. :)

•     RIGHT CLICK on that word, and from the popup menu select the "Languages >" flyout at the bottom.

•     Select the language you wish to use - probably English.

• Confirm your selection by right clicking on a word again, going to the Language menu, and verify that there is now a bullet/dot next to the language you selected. A bullet/dot means that dictionary language is selected.

Voila!

If all went according to plan, you should now have browser-based spell checking back in service for these text boxes.

NOTE: This seems to be a site-by-site forums adjustment. It does NOT apply itself to other websites using IPBoard. It would appear that you will have to make this quick adjustment at all IPBoard sites you may frequent, as it is not persistent across sites.

Testing stuff.

Okay for those of you who are having trouble with losing stuff in quotes or would just like the old style formatting to show there is a way.

a56678375e214aa3eacaf84958489440.png

The top left is a small square(I'll call it basic edit mode) that puts the post you are working on in old basic format mode. Instead of the picture or media showing it will show the tags and the web address instead.

This
99f78077d641a8a9d1635988cb7beedd.png

becomes this

7d716ac78645dd7b8a847f12219e4ab6.png

while you are still working on the post.

There are some limitations though. You can't go back and do some bolding or underlining in stuff like quotes until you pop out of that basic edit mode.

Just downloaded Gyazo!

I probably use gyazo more than any other tool in my GDT's. It is so quick to use and just grab whatever I want for a website. The fact they also host the image you capture for free is a huge bonus too.