The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cannedice99

Calgary Stampeders 2013

Today is the annual CFL Draft, and IMO, the beginning of the new season.  This is where dreams come true for many players in the CIS.  (Maybe some guys in the NCAA dream of this too.  I don't know.)  The draft expanded this year from six to seven rounds (I imagine since Ottawa begins play in 2014).

Of note, the Stampeders picked in round 2, 13 overall, Ben D'Aguilar of McMaster.  He also has a rumoured two NFL tryouts this month (TB Bucs then NY Jets), so we'll see if he gets the chance to pull on our red and black. 

Also, five U of C Dinos were picked, including three of the top five.

Begin discussions here on where you think the Stamps will be this year, and how they progress through the season.

Stamps aint going nowhere with Tate at the helm....

Well it seems that might be true when he isn't at the helm. Looks like K. Glen is starting the next game.

I have been wondering when all these injuries turns him into the next Buck Pierce? I heard that Winnipeg changed their O Schemes around to offer more quarterback protection.

Good thing the stamps have the best QB depth in the league. Wouldn't have thought this s month ago but I think it's almost a given now that stamps will protect Bo Levi and leave Tate unprotected in the expansion draft this year. Can't trust him to stay healthy and Bo Levi's upsides is too big.

Good thing the stamps have the best QB depth in the league. Wouldn't have thought this s month ago but I think it's almost a given now that stamps will protect Bo Levi and leave Tate unprotected in the expansion draft this year. Can't trust him to stay healthy and Bo Levi's upsides is too big.

So Tate injured(sprained elbow) to the point he can't do practice and KGlen gets injured in the Montreal game(separates his shoulder).

Stamps 38 - Montreal 27

Third-string quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell led the Stampeders to an enormous rally on Saturday as Calgary stormed back from a 24-point deficit for a 38-27 victory over the Montreal Alouettes.

Bo Levi CH 1

My choice for Outstanding play of the game:

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/86603

I totally agree that Tate has had his chance but cant be trusted to stay healthy  Protect Bo Levi for sure, he will be the face of the franchise.

Excellent come back last night....awesome game!  Too bad for Paredes that his record tying attempt was blocked!

I totally agree that Tate has had his chance but cant be trusted to stay healthy  Protect Bo Levi for sure, he will be the face of the franchise.

Excellent come back last night....awesome game!  Too bad for Paredes that his record tying attempt was blocked!

His record attempt is still intact. The blocked attempt never got past the line of scrimmage so is classed as a fumble.

Guest happycat

Looks like Rob Ford will have to donate ALOT of gooey money. As Nenshimania (the Stampeders), win... Interesting the first game of the new CFL century (seeing now the Argonaughts won the 100...).... Yet another Nenshi-Ford battle.... This time Cormish take the game seriously. 

The 101st Grey Cup belongs to the Calgary Stampeders... well, according to my opinion.

On paper it's theirs to lose, on paper. They are the best team in the cfl but other than 2008 the only black mark on huffs time with the stamps is his playoff record.

Hot topic this week and really all season was Cornish vs. Sheets, Sheets claims he is the best and the only reason he is trailing is because of injury.  A claim that is possibly true in yardage, but despite his claims on missing games he still has a nearly 2 game advantage on attempts on Cornish and averages a yard and a half less per carry.  It's been a good race, but for me its Cornish.  

When was the last time that the top seed in the West ended up going to the Grey Cup?  I could be wrong but it seems like every year the top team is knocked out in the West final. 

When was the last time that the top seed in the West ended up going to the Grey Cup?  I could be wrong but it seems like every year the top team is knocked out in the West final. 

I think it was B.C 2 years ago, but you are right that it seems often that it happens.  In the case of the West I believe there is just plenty of parity, I think in many of the recent years the 2nd, 3rd place Western teams if they were in the East could have been capable of winning that division if they had the similar schedule.  With the Stamps its just too hard to say, Saskatchewan always seems like a different beast in the playoffs vs. Calgary, if you look at the last game if the Stamps played a clean game there is no way that game is close, but who knows how Durant will be in a couple of weeks.  

Guest happycat

Say speaking of football, and divisions so the East gets a new team. The Halifax Scooners, this makes them have like 6 teams and we westerners have 5? 

So Jon Cornish is on the verge of some very awesome records.... Then he should finish this year off by winning the Super Rose Bowl (can't mention the name or else it angers the Puck goddess). 

Must say that a well deserved win by Durant and the Boys today in Regina. Congrats to the team, the city and the province of Sask. We bleed green and the province thanks you for your efforts this season. 

f7737ff5ee0fadeedc5734e114d7f66c.png

GO RIDERS

The CFL is holding the expansion draft today (for the introduction of the Ottawa RedBlacks next season):

http://cfl.ca/expansiondraft#DraftTracker

As of right now, Calgary has lost:

QB Kevin Glenn

OL J'Micheal Deane

I hate the fact that Glenn wasn't protected and got picked up.  To me, he was always better than Tate and should have been the #1 guy from the get-go.

The CFL is holding the expansion draft today (for the introduction of the Ottawa RedBlacks next season):

http://cfl.ca/expansiondraft#DraftTracker

As of right now, Calgary has lost:

QB Kevin Glenn

OL J'Micheal Deane

I hate the fact that Glenn wasn't protected and got picked up.  To me, he was always better than Tate and should have been the #1 guy from the get-go.

Agreed...   I can't believe that they left Glenn unprotected...  

They could only protect one and with that I'd be willing to bet that Tate was also left unprotected, I thought no matter who the Stamps protected they would be losing someone given their depth and the connection to Rick Campbell, but given BLM's age and upside he was the one to protect.  All in all I think the Stamps came out pretty good I did like Glenn but I think he's in a good spot and now maybe he can end his career with more certainty regarding his role, Deane and Fraser I also liked (I know that Fraser fans are rare, not nearly as bad as people make him out though), but they are replaceable.  My main concern going in was losing Maver, so I'm glad that didn't happen.

No doubt that it was Bo Levi and not Tate that was protected otherwise if bi Levi was left unprotected I can guarantee You Ottawa would have picked him. You can only protect one and you could not risk losing the potential of BLM so unfortunately it was always going to be one of Tate or Glenn going and honestly I think Glenn going was the best case for the stamps. Not only did they get to protect more non imports and keep their excellent non import depth fairly intact but it ends the 3 way QB question and gives them more direction. I feel bad saying this because Glenn is a great pro but it's very clear to me he is not capable if winning a Grey Cup at this stage in his career and I feel both Tate and BLM are. The draft today worked out great for the stamps.