Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Laurent Brossoit Is He Ready For Big Leagues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 zima

zima

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Laurent Brossoit should be done with WHL I think it is his last yr so should he be signed to a AHL contract ? Im not up on all the Info as far as when a player can be brought up to the bigs Im sure you guys will know if it is possible for him to be available for next season. I thought he did very well in the minors he didn't do it this yr but still was very good for the most part . Do you guys and girls think he can bring his game to NHL level?

#2 Faron

Faron

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

http://flames.nhl.co...s.htm?id=664135

So I'm guessing how well he plays determines where he plays.

#3 zima

zima

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm thinking he will be our no1or 2 on the flames next yr heres hoping

#4 Faron

Faron

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Doubt it, 2-3 string at the AHL level at best.

#5 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Brossoit has signed a EL NHL contract with the Flames.  They will see him in camp and make a decision then.  Brossoit can return to Junior as an overage player if the Flames would like.  I think it is more likely he will share starts with Ortio in the AHL next season.   

#6 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Nope..worst thing we can do, for him and the organization. He needs a couple years in the ahl. If you take him straighr to starter, you ruin him, if hes backup he doesnt play. Ahl he gets quality starts at higher competition than junior and they can groom him for the nhl. I believe hes deginitely our future starter but that future needs to be no less than 2 years away..possibly 3 to 4

#7 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Nope..worst thing we can do, for him and the organization. He needs a couple years in the ahl. If you take him straighr to starter, you ruin him, if hes backup he doesnt play. Ahl he gets quality starts at higher competition than junior and they can groom him for the nhl. I believe hes deginitely our future starter but that future needs to be no less than 2 years away..possibly 3 to 4

Not only that, you'd be ruining our season next year too. He isn't NHL caliber yet, not by a long shot.

Broisoit has been a good, at times great, goalie playing on one of the CHL's best teams. Even a guy like Tyler Bunz, who was hyped up to hell and back for the Oilers after his fantastic final junior season was only serviceable at the ECHL level. Olivier Roy, TC goaltender, took a while to work his way into the AHL lineup.

What makes Broisoit so special that he can make the jump to the NHL over these other guys who arguably were better than he was in their junior careers?

#8 Cecka

Cecka

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Nope not ready for NHL, AHL yes.

#9 zima

zima

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Well I guess we will see I thought he had a better chance to show his stuff in the biggest but AHL won't hurt his progress that's for sure. I guess I had visions of greatness for him. More for our team we could use some great goal tending in the next few yrs I don't think kipper will be back.

#10 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

A few goalies jump straight into the NHL from juniors. But they are almost exclusively top 5 picks like Price or Fleury.  Even Fleury spent a year in the AHL after a short NHL debut.  

Brossoit isn't even in the discussions for the NHL next season.  

Jacob Markstrom might be a decent comparable.  Though he is a higher ranked prospect.  He got 1 NHL game in his first season.  But he has spent the bulk of his first three seasons in the AHL.  

#11 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Prica and flrury are actually excellent examples..yes they are all stars, yes they are top tier..but both are notorious for jekyll hyde syndrome. ? Likely because they were rushed into the nhl. Whoever we put in net for the next season or 2 is going to get hung out to dry on numerous occasions..its not a knock on Brossoit to say he needs a couple of ahl seasons minimum, its a credit to him thst hes worth developing

#12 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'd like to see him carry an entire team on his back rather than be average on a great team.

#13 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'd like to see him carry an entire team on his back rather than be average on a great team.

It hurts because it's true.   It will be a while before we know how good he really is.  

If he is strong enough to be an AHL starter, I think he should be given that chance with the Heat or loaned elsewhere.

If he isn't, then I suppose he could back up Ortio?

#14 flames1217

flames1217

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

It is almost impossible for a goaltender to make the jump from the Dub straight to the NHL. Yea I understand that Brossoit is a very efficient goalie but we are talking about shots coming at 70 MPH compared to those coming at 100 MPH. The speed of the game is just to great for him to make the direct jump. I personally do not even see Brossoit as our future #1, that my friends will most likely be Gilles. We have a very good shot at having a good 1a and 1b tandem in both of them, I think it better for the organization itself to let him develop in the AHL for atleast another 3 years. No need for rushing

#15 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

He will start in the AHL. He may get a game or 2 with the Flames but other then that he wont be in the NHL next year.

#16 TrippinVdUb

TrippinVdUb

KCCO!

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a few exhibition games but I think they will use the Penticton tourney to get a good look at where hes at...

Chances are we will see Berra/Ramo/Macdonald fighting for the 2 spots with the flames, Im pretty excited to see Joey sticking around, he seems like the perfect type of player to help these European guys find there way in North America.

Unless Brossoit steals the show right out of the gate it would be a mistake to throw him to the wolves with what looks like a weak roster heading into next season, personally I think we all have to wait till after OVER PAY UFA DAY before we have a clear picture of what this team will look like and who will be playing where. Its just too soon to jump to any conclusions....

#17 Dmac1103

Dmac1103

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Don't be surprised if he possibly ends up in the ECHL for a season depending on who they have in the AHL and how the offseason pans out. It is not a bad thing if he does play some in the ECHL it may give him the confidence he needs to play at the pro level. They need to be very patient with him and move him up one level at a time. The Kings did it with Jonathan Quick and it worked out well for them.

#18 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Brossoit is not close to ready. While he has the athleticism you want he still, IMO, he still needs refinment because too often he gets caught out of position and while at the dub level he has the athleticism to make up for it that changes when you turn pro. That and I still think there are some mental challenges he needs to over come as he continues to develop. I think he is a good 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL IMO and I don't disagree with Dmac he could easily wind up in the ECHL and I don't consider that a bad thing either.

#19 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Brossoit is not close to ready. While he has the athleticism you want he still, IMO, he still needs refinment because too often he gets caught out of position and while at the dub level he has the athleticism to make up for it that changes when you turn pro. That and I still think there are some mental challenges he needs to over come as he continues to develop. I think he is a good 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL IMO and I don't disagree with Dmac he could easily wind up in the ECHL and I don't consider that a bad thing either.

100% agree. Brossoit, like our other "future" goalies nee to be groomed properly while this rebuild happens.let the vets like macdonald, berraand ramo handle the big club. If one takes off, great, but take brossoit, ortio and gillies and let them man the farms. The goaliea who arent the future of the big club need to go. Eg taylor, irving, brust unless you seriously need filler but even then the futures get the workload. just like how brossoit needs to move on from the juniors, they should be at that point with the minors before they move up. Goalies are a funny bunch..If you rush them, one bad game at the big level can ruin a career if they havent learned to master the next level