DirtyDeeds

The Official Monahan Thread

Monahan staying the right choice?   67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,170 posts in this topic

lordxan, on 23 Oct 2013 - 14:29, said:

Oh forgot to add, we should start talking about his chances for the Calder this year, they look pretty good so far.  I for one hope he gets it,I don't think the flames have ever had a Calder winner?  It would be a nice stamp for him to start with that as the corner stone future for the Flames.

A minor oversight I'm sure, but the Flames have won a relatively large percentage of Calders.

FlamesCalderWinners-Edit2_zps8b2bfc1c.jp

One of the most astounding facts about Monahan officially joining the Calgary Flames in the year of his draft is the rarity of previous Flames draft choices doing the same.

Randy Sportak - Calgary Sun - Wednesday, October 23, 2013

(Excerpt) The Flames have not had a player out of the junior ranks be a full-time NHLer for the whole season immediately after being drafted since Kevin LaVallee in the 1980-81 campaign, the franchise's first in the Calgary after relocating from Atlanta.

Oh forgot to add, we should start talking about his chances for the Calder this year, they look pretty good so far.  I for one hope he gets it,I don't think the flames have ever had a Calder winner?  It would be a nice stamp for him to start with that as the corner stone future for the Flames.

Not only have we had a calder winner, we had the Calder winner who caused the NHL to institute a maximum age for rookies. markov, 90 (at the tender age of 31). In addition Nieuwendyk, 88, Sutter, 86. If you want to include Atlanta we also had Willi Plett and Eric Vail as well. Sorta crazy to think we had 3 of 5 in the 80's, especially when you consider 1 was a second round pick and the other 2 were late round picks.

Edit: You beat me to it apparently, but I believe Drury was drafted by the Nordiques. We received him and Yelle for Morris and McAmmond. [Mod Edit - Fixed My Grievous Error - Pyro :( ]

As much as I think Mony has a good chance of being in the Calder discussion, it is quite rare for someone out west to win it. 

Landeskog was a rare win.  Most have been on the east where EPSN, huge American markets, and the big marketing machines exist.

If most of your games are televised on regional Sportsnet coverage, then you aren't getting the exposure.  That said, Mony does stand a decent chance if he is in the top 3 in rookie scoring, +/- , points/game, point scoring streak, etc. 

Monahan earned his spot. It wasn't given or (from the sound of things) even promised.

The only thing junior has left to teach him is to play with (possibly captain) the best Canada has in the WJC.

Congratulations Monahan. You got that spot on merit.

I read via a link to the Calgary Herald (I think) that 1 of the players asked him to stay @ his place rather then a hotel. I took that as a good omer.

I also ran across a article by a blogger @ The Copper & Blue saying this shows we failed to learn from Edmonton's mistakes.

The Calder would be icing on the cake but I'm not expecting him to win it. If he does he does but at this point I just want to see him develop. Let's not put pressure on him that he does not need. He'll do that all on his own.

1 person likes this

Monahan earned his spot. It wasn't given or (from the sound of things) even promised.

The only thing junior has left to teach him is to play with (possibly captain) the best Canada has in the WJC.

Congratulations Monahan. You got that spot on merit.

I read via a link to the Calgary Herald (I think) that 1 of the players asked him to stay @ his place rather then a hotel. I took that as a good omer.

I also ran across a article by a blogger @ The Copper & Blue saying this shows we failed to learn from Edmonton's mistakes.

Mony was staying with the Hudler family, and Huds was tickled pink about it.  But I think he will be placed with a non-hockey family, so there is more structure in his life.  Seguin should have had that.

C&B blogger is probably sitting in his mom's basement in his underwear.  I'm not sure how you could learn anything from the Oils, except playing the lottery is a good plan.

The story about Hudler was on Calgaryflames.com

But I think he will be placed with a non-hockey family, so there is more structure in his life.

That makes zero sense whatsoever.

I also ran across a article by a blogger @ The Copper & Blue saying this shows Edmonton failed to learn from Edmonton's mistakes.

Sorry FF, but I just couldn't resist tweaking that a bit...   :)

Mony was staying with the Hudler family, and Huds was tickled pink about it.  But I think he will be placed with a non-hockey family, so there is more structure in his life.  Seguin should have had that.

C&B blogger is probably sitting in his mom's basement in his underwear.  I'm not sure how you could learn anything from the Oils, except playing the lottery is a good plan.

Thanks. I read that a few days back.

About the blogger, probably right. (Average Oiler fan? :lol: )

Agree.

In Philly Briere had Giroux & later Couts living @ his place. Tthe atmosphere seemed to give both a good start.

Sidney living with Mario didn't hurt either.

Billets in junior are usually fans.

Sorry FF, but I just couldn't resist tweaking that a bit...   :)

No prob Bud.

Actually truer then what the blogger wrote.

:D

That is what I read about it.  From what I understood, the "billet with a non-hockey family" was a condition of him staying on the club.

I guess Feaster (or Burke) feels responsible for the kid's welfare. 

I'm torn because i believe Juniors is a great place for prospects to develop but it's too bad his Ottawa team sucks so bad.  He would have nothing to gain by joining them.  He would have to get traded which may or may not be good for his development.

So he's stuck here.

That benefits Baertschi, i think.  It gives Baertschi a Center to develop with.

Also, no one is talking about Emile Poirier and Morgan Klimchuk.  This is good because Monahan shelter's them and allows them to develop at their pace.

I haven't seen one game this year, but I have listened to half of them. On top of that I stream off the Fan960 when ever possible for what the guys have to say on the daytime shows. From what I hear, Hartley and the coaching staff are doing a lot of teaching (of course stuff they do with video as per usual like most teams). But it seems that they're paying more attention to the youth movement a bit more seriously and doing the teaching required for it.  Now I think that this is the right place for his development just from what they say. Of course I have to take their word for it as they're connected to the team a lot more than I do as they get to talk to guys like Maher and coaches a lot more than I do, which is never... 

I am with you, I think that it does benefit Baertschi as well. It allows them to develop together as well as feed off each other for motivation. If Monahan continues to have his desire to learn, Baertschi will have to put just as much work into it too and if Baertschi is working hard at learning, Monahan will do the same. It's a win-win. 

From a team standpoint, they did the right thing and organizationally, it sounds like they're not taking things for granted. They're not allowing the team to have that country club feel. Their comments after the Prospects Tourney was perfect and set the tone (IMO). From their comments, if he's putting the work in, he deserves to stay. If they're trying to win at all costs every game, which as a team they are, it's great. Most of the vets are buying in too and helping with their development! I love it. They could have just came in with a horrible attitude. 

Why would living with a hockey family (with a teammate whom is older and has kids) have less structure than living with a non-hockey family?

Is Hudler a bad host? He definitely doesn't come across as a good guy to be mentored by at all. 

Apparently Monahan has been great with Hudler's kids and family and eating up all of their good cooked food. I can see why Hudler doesn't want him around. :) I don't like it when people eat my food. 

That is what I read about it.  From what I understood, the "billet with a non-hockey family" was a condition of him staying on the club.

I guess Feaster (or Burke) feels responsible for the kid's welfare. 

Where did you read it?

I found it... Weird. Billeting is the best thing for him. I thought living with Hudler could keep Hudler's energy and motivation up because of how excited Monahan would be, as well as maybe (for Monahan) hearing Hudler's war stories from his experience with Detroit. But then, with a Billet Family, he can talk about all of the other hockey players the family had come through their home. 

Why would living with a hockey family (with a teammate whom is older and has kids) have less structure than living with a non-hockey family?

Is Hudler a bad host? He definitely doesn't come across as a good guy to be mentored by at all. 

Apparently Monahan has been great with Hudler's kids and family and eating up all of their good cooked food. I can see why Hudler doesn't want him around. :) I don't like it when people eat my food. 

Where did you read it?

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=688185

I guess the thinking is that being around teammates constantly (like Hudler) brings the hockey home with him.  You know, work-life balance.  Hudler is probably a great host and mentor for Sean, but what happens if they traded him?  Or maybe he beats his dog?  Or maybe he beats his wife.  :unsure:

Just playing the Devil's Advocate (no not that crazy poster/troll).  Guy is young and probably never lived on his own, so they are tying him to a living situation over a choice of who/where to live.  As a parent, it sounds like a safe idea.  As a male, it sounds like being told what to do.

Billetting is the right thing to do him.  I know that I couldn't have handled being a famous millionaire at 19.  Everyone knows about Patrick Kane's taxi beating, twitter embarrassments.

Yup 

It took me until I was 23 to leave home. I wasn't ready.

I like that Feaster said it was solely due to Monahan's development as a hockey player. If he was in Junior, he would have still lived with a family. Having experience with other players, that family will know how to adjust to Monahan's life and when Monahan is ready to move out in a year or so he will have grasped his game and still on the learning curb up. 

Honestly I'd have been disappointed if he didn't make the team and I'd be wondering what's in our water that everyone is worse when they get here...

If the addition of him alone drops our draft ranking I'm good with that. I firmly believe we lucked out here folks. We got one of the best centers in the stacked OHL because he was on a sad-sack team that dragged him down. The consensus I always got on Monahan was, "imagine if he had someone to play with?".

The real Sean Monahan is standing up, this is the guy we drafted, and I'd have wanted him even higher in the draft even if we were picking 3rd.

Cross made a great point that he isn't a mind-blowing player that bags endless points and blows your hair back. He is very good at everything (in jr soon to translate to pros) and isn't one to rest on laurels.

He made the team and he will be no different because of it.

He's going to get better and finely tuned to the pro game.

I'll be surprised if there is much of a step back, even as team's step it up on him, his hockey IQ is solid, I'm sure everyone has seen that by now.

As for the billet thing...imagine how screened that family has been!! Can you say diet and curfew??

It makes great sense. I'm sure Monahan agrees and his family agrees. If you don't want a crash landing, you've gotta keep your head out of the clouds and find the measure to stay grounded and work hard.

That ethic can't disintegrate off of the ice, it has to be a lifestyle.

Retire in style at 38. It takes a world of focus and perseverence when you're a young guy.

He'll likely learn that better away from the rink and the team.

Kid's got the world by the tail, it's going to get a lot harder...there's a lot of examples of guys who had to settle for middle class jobs in the real world when they were once bulletproof on the pinnacle of greatness...

That is incrediably stupid. Crosby stayed with Mario, Malkin with Gonchar and the list goes on. You need young players staying with vets to learn how to deal with the pressures of the media and money and everything else. Staying with a non hockey family wont teach him anything.

I think he will be placed with a non-hockey family, so there is more structure in his life.

I guess life is about balance.

Judging from his post-draft interview up until up to this point of the season, his personality seems "boring".  Everything that comes out of his mouth is "hockey this and hockey that".  Time to balance out his life if he wants to be a true leader on this team.  It will help him relate to others and help him learn to motivate different types of people around him.  All work no play makes him a very dull boy.

That is incrediably stupid. Crosby stayed with Mario, Malkin with Gonchar and the list goes on. You need young players staying with vets to learn how to deal with the pressures of the media and money and everything else. Staying with a non hockey family wont teach him anything.

The counter argument is that by staying with a Billet family he will likely be more grounded. You think Hudler makes him take out the trash or other "age appropriate" jobs around the house, etc? Pretty unlikely. Staying with a non-hockey family may help slow down the inevitable head swelling that would come from being a top performing rookie in the NHL as a 19 year old.

Or it could make it worse if they treat him like a god.

The counter argument is that by staying with a Billet family he will likely be more grounded. You think Hudler makes him take out the trash or other "age appropriate" jobs around the house, etc? Pretty unlikely. Staying with a non-hockey family may help slow down the inevitable head swelling that would come from being a top performing rookie in the NHL as a 19 year old.

I agree with this.

Staying with a billet family also gives the coaching staff and management the ability to check up on him. I would assume that Calgary is going to enforce a curfew for Monahan very much like he would if he was playing in junior. If he was staying with a teammate (ex Hudler) the coaching staff couldn't ask Hudler to let them know when he broke curfew as that betrays a certain level of trust amongst teammates. 

Monahan is still a kid and a certain level of parenting is required and it is not fair to ask one of his teammates to parent him away from the rink. 

Monahan will have plenty of time to learn the ins and outs of pro life while at the rink and on road trips.

1 person likes this

Mono would have to stay with a billet family anyways if he were to go back to jr. this week.  So it's only making things a little more familiar. 

As for those saying 19 year old kid millionaires get swelled heads, well yeah, lots of them do, but this kid knows who he is.  If you look at his interviews since before the draft, the kid hasn't flinched a muscle.  His demeanor hasn't changed. 

The same can't be said for players like Patrick Kane, Evander Kane, Nail Yakupov, and yes even Sven.  Sven rides off of feedback and emotion, when things are going good, he's the type to get a swelled head, when they aren't, he's the type to pout.  Just look up his hissy fit phone conversation with his mom last season when he was sent back to the AHL. 

Monahan's response for everything is "I'll do whatever is asked of me."  Pretty mature response for a 19 year old kid knocking on the door of being a millionaire and a star.

I guess life is about balance.

Judging from his post-draft interview up until up to this point of the season, his personality seems "boring".  Everything that comes out of his mouth is "hockey this and hockey that".  Time to balance out his life if he wants to be a true leader on this team.  It will help him relate to others and help him learn to motivate different types of people around him.  All work no play makes him a very dull boy.

Well said Peeps...

It is also quite possible that it might not be that long before Monahan gets out on his own...   Maybe I am one of the few that thinks he is in the big league to stay, and also has the right attitude to make the transition more quickly than a lot of players that are entering the league...

Not everyone and everything is linear. Crosby and Malkin are not good comparitors, they entered the league with expectation of superstardom. That's a lot of weight the likes of the Mario's have seen. So Mario would tell Crosby, "you're coming with me", that's a phenomenal move. But Monahan isn't coming in like Crosby with supreme expectation.

Monahan's a grounded kid that knows his hard work is far from guaranteeing him a life saddled with cash as a mega-star player.

I believe that's a lot of the Toews comparison, Monahan is very low key like Toews has always been off of the ice.

Keeping Monahan with a billet family also let's Monahan know, "you know you can go back to this full time if you want to go off the rails for whatever reason".

And really, do you think the billet family will be in Forest Lawn?

C'mon now, the possibility of what his billet family is is all over the map.

I'm sure he'll be finding out how pillars of the community conduct themselves, whether they're investment bankers, a foster family, or everything in between.

Burke said it right off the hop. The Flames set the standard for being a community team, and that's how it will be, period.

A billet family will teach him how exactly to do that.

As an aside, do you know many high-schoolers??

Because they'll tell you, EXACTLY, about near every jr player.

Remember how arrogant some jocks were in high school?

Same thing.

There is absolutely no harm in keeping him grounded with a real world family as opposed to a multi-millionaire athlete telling him how easy it is for him now. No saying Hudler isn't Lemieux as a guiding light, but it isn't fair for the Hudler family either. He has to be a father and a husband w/out bringing a hockey buddy home every night. The Canadian microscope on hockey players is much larger than the American one, so that's another aspect the Flames mgmt had to consider in the decision I'm sure.

So saying it's "incredibly stupid", is a stretch, a big stretch. Monahan is being managed, is all.

I mean c'mon, did someone say it's a "condition" of his staying with the big club?

If so, it's been scrutinized to death and the Flames decided that's the best course.

If they are wrong about it, we are yet to know.

But every case is an individual one. You can't tell me one formula works for all of the robots....

Does anyone else get the occasional notion that Hudler's stepped it up having Monahan around?

4-8 for 12 points? Hudler??

hmmmm

talk me out of it. :unsure:

Like babysitting his kids? Cause Hudler was making him do that. And based on your argument Crosby is not grounded?