DirtyDeeds

The Official Monahan Thread

Monahan staying the right choice?   67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,170 posts in this topic

About 1/4 of the way through the season and monahan on the top 3 of people's lists for the calder so far.

Having him take that home would do wonders for the kid after doing what he is for this team, as he's 2nd in points so far.

About 1/4 of the way through the season and monahan on the top 3 of people's lists for the calder so far.

Having him take that home would do wonders for the kid after doing what he is for this team, as he's 2nd in points so far.

Just not NHL.com's....

They have Krug as the Calder fave, followed by Hertl and then Jones.  Go figure.  I'm going to guess MacKinnon, then Barkov next on their list?  Ridiculous.

Just not NHL.com's....

They have Krug as the Calder fave, followed by Hertl and then Jones.  Go figure.  I'm going to guess MacKinnon, then Barkov next on their list?  Ridiculous.

Krug, and Hertl just plain get more media attention, and are placed into situations to succeed with better linemates, I think once the season is coming to an end, and people look to the bottom of the standings and see what monahan has/hopefully will accomplish on a team like this, he's more than likely going to be top 3.

Just not NHL.com's....

Krug is playing well and putting up a lot of points as a D.  Hertl is the NHL rookie scoring lead by a reasonable margin.  Jones is putting up 24 minutes per night in a tough role and playing very well.  

I like Monahan and he is playing really well.  But I can understand why they have those guys as favorites.  

Krug, and Hertl just plain get more media attention, and are placed into situations to succeed with better linemates, I think once the season is coming to an end, and people look to the bottom of the standings and see what monahan has/hopefully will accomplish on a team like this, he's more than likely going to be top 3.

Krug is playing well and putting up a lot of points as a D.  Hertl is the NHL rookie scoring lead by a reasonable margin.  Jones is putting up 24 minutes per night in a tough role and playing very well.  

I like Monahan and he is playing really well.  But I can understand why they have those guys as favorites.  

Oh, I understand their reasoning...their standards are just ridiculous. 

-Jones was supposed to be MacKinnon's rival at the draft, and the NHL media still likes to play with those storylines whenever they face each other.

-Krug plays for Boston, enough said.

-Hertl came out with a 4 goal night and earned a nickname ripped off from the ninja turtles, and also plays with Thornton.

Monahan?  He's just a 6th overall pick who's 2nd in scoring in the league on a really bad team in a smaller Canadian market.  Of course he doesn't deserve even a mention....

...the logic.

It's not about who is the biggest surprise, it's about who is the best player. 

You mean who gets the most media attention on a top team.

-Jones was supposed to be MacKinnon's rival at the draft, and the NHL media still likes to play with those storylines whenever they face each other.

-Hertl came out with a 4 goal night and earned a nickname ripped off from the ninja turtles, and also plays with Thornton.

Monahan?  He's just a 6th overall pick who's 2nd in scoring in the league on a really bad team in a smaller Canadian market.  Of course he doesn't deserve even a mention....

...the logic.

Keep in mind all the Oilers rookies got snubbed last season.  It could easily happen to Monahan (and even Baertschi if he ever gets it going).

...the logic.

Add that Jones has a good chance of being on Team USA for the Olys.

Trouba would be in the conversation if not for the injury. When back he'll probably be touted again.

Krug in Boston means the east coast sees more of him. The majority of the media are east coast based so only spectacular nights (or the names like McKinnon) catch thier attention.

Hertl is covered under spectacular nights so the media noticed.

As with all awards it needn't be the best that wins. It's the 1 that gets the media's attention.

No question there tends to be an eastern bias in awards but at this point I think those three are te right nominees. Monhan has been excellent but those guys have been better so far but most articles I've read about the Calder typically mention Monahan as they should. He'll be part of the conversation for sure just at this point othersa are better.

Just a couple things that have heard:

I heard on HNIC the other week that Monahan had been working with David Pelletier the Olympic figure skater in the off season on improving his skating. Ron McLean went on to wonder why Calgary didn't hire Pelletier as a skating coach. I love hearing how dedicated Monahan is to improving his craft. This kid is going to be captain in the not too distant future.

I also heard on HNIC radio that Monahan's mom has moved to Calgary to live with him.

And just another side note that I have noticed that Monahan has started to play more physical, which is good to see. His first 15 games or so he seemed to really shy away from contact but he is starting to look more comfortable in that area of the game.

I don't know what to think about this kid anymore, I can't fathom the words to describe how happy I am that we got this kid at #6.

I just keep thinking about what this kid is going to do once he matures a little bit more.

Could we get another gif replay of monahans shootout winner if someone has a chance.

I don't know what to think about this kid anymore, I can't fathom the words to describe how happy I am that we got this kid at #6.

I just keep thinking about what this kid is going to do once he matures a little bit more.

Could we get another gif replay of monahans shootout winner if someone has a chance.

He's moving up the ladder, tonight he was our 6th shooter! :lol:

C'mon Hartley, set your flipping shootout roster already. Hudler-Monahan-Cammy, then Baertschi.

Shootouts are for blowing your load for the win, not, "hey, you scored a goal tonight"....save that for when it's past 3 shooters...

Just to add to that...

If you have specific players that you want to be high pressure goal scorers on your team, why, oh why, aren't they given consistent shootout roles?

Not that I'd want to try to make sense or anything.

4f8b172bf0bccb24a71d47070f7b05f9.gif

So far so good.

He was compared to Eric Staal at the draft and there's lots of reason to believe he'll hit that type of impact.  Probably not ever going to score 100-points like Staal did but could put up a consistent 70 to 85 points once he matures.

He obviously needs to muscle up into his frame.  I don't see breakaway speed and i'd like to see a bit of it.  He's shown on the shootout that he can snipe BUT for whatever reason, doesn't shoot from the perimeter in game action.  I'd like to see him to expand his scoring area by developing his shot.  It seems hard and accurate.  If he fails in that regard, then he'll have to only score his goals from within 6-feet of the net and become somewhat easily defendable.

So far so good.

He was compared to Eric Staal at the draft and there's lots of reason to believe he'll hit that type of impact.  Probably not ever going to score 100-points like Staal did but could put up a consistent 70 to 85 points once he matures.

He obviously needs to muscle up into his frame.  I don't see breakaway speed and i'd like to see a bit of it.  He's shown on the shootout that he can snipe BUT for whatever reason, doesn't shoot from the perimeter in game action.  I'd like to see him to expand his scoring area by developing his shot.  It seems hard and accurate.  If he fails in that regard, then he'll have to only score his goals from within 6-feet of the net and become somewhat easily defendable.

He was also compared to Mike Richards.

If he hits that I'll be happy.

:)

He was also compared to Mike Richards.

If he hits that I'll be happy.

:)

Years from now people will be comparing draft picks to Sean Monahan :P

That's fine.  As long as Brent Sutter is coach, he probably wouldn't have chosen Monahan on his team anyways.

6740e04ff4604fc2c7837a9c04593229.png

Monahan joining the WJC team is best for his development.  Whether he's Calgary's second line center or not is irrelevant, especially at this stage of the rebuild, and of a poor season.

I agree with Butter's take on the situation.  An experience like that will only heighten his career.  Look at the memory of Toews and Eberle.  They dominated and everyone remembers. The same goes for Gaudreau. 

Monahan has been on losing teams cosistently the last 3 years and it's about time he gets a feel of what it's like to win something.

Monahan joining the WJC team is best for his development.  Whether he's Calgary's second line center or not is irrelevant, especially at this stage of the rebuild, and of a poor season.

I agree with Butter's take on the situation.  An experience like that will only heighten his career.  Look at the memory of Toews and Eberle.  They dominated and everyone remembers. The same goes for Gaudreau. 

Monahan has been on losing teams cosistently the last 3 years and it's about time he gets a feel of what it's like to win something.

I couldn't agree more.

I'd like to see him there for both his development & so he doesn't miss out on the experience.

Let him win on that stage & we'll probably have an even better player.

1 person likes this

Someone should start a "Free Monahan" petition and send it to Feaster and Flames ownership if it gets enough support...

A thread here just wouldn't do it...   It would need to be circulated to a broader fan base...

Sorry, he s employed by the Flames and should stay with the organization if they want him to. 

What does this do for his development if Canada suffers a upset? Not to mention the how everybody would want Feasters nuts hanging from their Christmas tree if gets railed by another player and suffers a more serious injury. We would never hear the end of how Feaster shouldn't have let him go.

His Jr days are behind him now, he is a professional and should worry about the team who employs him and the focus of honing his skills towards winning a more important championship.