DirtyDeeds

The Official Monahan Thread

Monahan staying the right choice?   67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,170 posts in this topic

I didn't think he was going to go. There was just a sliver of hope when Feaster departed. Oh well. No reason to think we won't do everything we can to work against yet another top prospect.

Where is this even coming from? We don't let him play WJC and that sets his development back how?

Give me a break. The guy is doing good here playing good minutes and contributing. Leave him where he is.

Well there is a strong patriotic following who think it is best to send our best players. They have this illusion(hype) that the tournament is instant success for the players who get to participate. All you need to do is see the popularity the medias have given this tourney the last few years.

Where is this even coming from? We don't let him play WJC and that sets his development back how?

Give me a break. The guy is doing good here playing good minutes and contributing. Leave him where he is.

Why doesn't Junior hockey stop all games for this tournament like the NHL reluctantly does for the Olympics?

-because it doesn't make them money

-because it happens every year not every 4 years.

are a couple of good reasons why. At best this tournament is to junior more like the Worlds are to NHL. Happens every year. Players go to represent their country when they want and when teams aren't playing anymore.

I don't buy the he will get this lifechanging experience like most of those who thinks he should go do. I think to play this tournament would be 2 steps down for him than playing in the NHL. Each to their own however, I just don't see the big upside as some others seem to.

1 person likes this

I didn't think he was going to go. There was just a sliver of hope when Feaster departed. Oh well. No reason to think we won't do everything we can to work against yet another top prospect.

I don't agree with that, like the others.

Sending him to the WJC is sending him down.

He's earned his spot.

It isn't this big, "hey, congratulations Sean, we're sending you down, we can do without you for a bit."

Go practice being a commodity in the Not-The-NHL.

Sounds like a slope to me.

Keep him here.

1 person likes this

Well there is a strong patriotic following who think it is best to send our best players. They have this illusion(hype) that the tournament is instant success for the players who get to participate. All you need to do is see the popularity the medias have given this tourney the last few years. 

Why doesn't Junior hockey stop all games for this tournament like the NHL reluctantly does for the Olympics?

are a couple of good reasons why. At best this tournament is to junior more like the Worlds are to NHL. Happens every year. Players go to represent their country when they want and when teams aren't playing anymore.

I don't buy the he will get this lifechanging experience like most of those who thinks he should go do. I think to play this tournament would be 2 steps down for him than playing in the NHL. Each to their own however, I just don't see the big upside as some others seem to.

I don't think anyone is claiming the WJC will be a life changing experience. Missing a couple NHL games to lead your national team to victory is a huge experience though. Leadership, etc. Big deal. Will it make a big difference to his game? Who knows. But it will be a big learning experience when it comes to attitude and leadership. It's a character building thing. Not a skill building thing.

And again, it's not like he's going to miss the season as a result, we're talking a few games. No big deal.

I think I said this before, but I will say it again. The decision has been made. This is all moot. He is staying with the big club.

I am happy he is here and playing like he is. Yay!  :D

I'm 1 of those patriots.

The WJC is probably the biggest stage outside the Olympics. Even casual fans watch due to the caliber of hockey being played. It's also played @ a time when the NHL is basically in dog days. Largely the best U20s in the world playing with pride for their jersey.

It's a joke to compare it to the Worlds. @ the time the Worlds are played the playoffs are occuring so we are watching the most meaningful games of the year. Those watching are mostly fans of a team so bad that they are well represented among the best of those that wanted to play after being eliminated. Watch your favorites while killing time until draft day.

It is a character builder as for most of these kids that tournament consists of the most important games they'll play that year. With the 1 game knockout every game in the medal round is a SC game #7. Stepping up in that situation is much different then a yawner @ any time in the NHL.

Before his injury he was 2nd on this rookie list.

6c7ac1a103c9cc79baecf8905fad1174.png

I wonder if he has now dropped off from any serious Calder considerations now.

I don't think that will drop him out of contention, with so much of the season left.

However, if his pace drops off, that will drop him out of contention.

in October, he was on fire.

in November, he was operating at 1 point every 2 games.   Difficult to judge, though, because he was playing with an injury through a lot of those.

in December...not enough games to tell yet.

I don't think that will drop him out of contention, with so much of the season left.

However, if his pace drops off, that will drop him out of contention.

in October, he was on fire.

in November, he was operating at 1 point every 2 games.   Difficult to judge, though, because he was playing with an injury through a lot of those.

in December...not enough games to tell yet.

Even though Hertl is crushing it, he does play on a superior team.  Nate plays with two of the better centres in the league, even though one is playing on the wing.  Mony plays on a suffering team, so his contribution is bigger.  The downside is that Calgary is not NY nor Boston.  Krug and Kreider are probably up there with Nate.  Mony may still have a chance if he regains the touch.

I am not concerned about Rookie of the Year. Great, if he is, but I just want him to be developed into a better player in the future. Skinner is good, but he was Rookie of the year and his progression has been slow since. Keep improving! I like his attitude.

Did someone say he was hiring a figure skating coach this summer? It would be great for his balance and using his edges. 

The biggest issue I see with Monahan thus far is foot speed.  He has none.  Most of the time he enters the zone, he either passes it off, or he doesn't have the space to make a move and shoots it on net. 

His IQ of where to be on the ice makes up for it with his playmaking ability and offensive gifts, but it's something that needs to be spear-headed quickly with the trainers and coaching staff.

Before his injury he was 2nd on this rookie list.

6c7ac1a103c9cc79baecf8905fad1174.png

I wonder if he has now dropped off from any serious Calder considerations now.

I think at the end of the day for forwards it comes down to numbers, regardless of the team Hertl plays on if he keeps putting up points at the pace he is now he is going to be tough to beat for the Calder.

I am not concerned about Rookie of the Year. Great, if he is, but I just want him to be developed into a better player in the future. Skinner is good, but he was Rookie of the year and his progression has been slow since. Keep improving! I like his attitude.

Did someone say he was hiring a figure skating coach this summer? It would be great for his balance and using his edges. 

I heard Ron McLean say on HNIC one night that Monahan was training with David Pelletier who is a former olympic figure skater. 

I am kind of surprised that Calgary doesn't employ a full time skating coach to work with players during the season, both in Calgary and in  Abbotsford. Skating is so important as the game gets faster and faster every year, it would just make sense to employ someone to make sure guys are skating to the best of their ability.

The biggest issue I see with Monahan thus far is foot speed.  He has none.  Most of the time he enters the zone, he either passes it off, or he doesn't have the space to make a move and shoots it on net. 

His IQ of where to be on the ice makes up for it with his playmaking ability and offensive gifts, but it's something that needs to be spear-headed quickly with the trainers and coaching staff.

I have noticed some issues as well with his skating but to me it is more his lack of quickness that bothers me. Monahan's game will never be about having breakaway speed, but for him I think it is going to be more important to have that quickness to jump into open areas.

I think it is all going to come for him, he still looks a little awkward in his body almost like he is still adjusting to a growth spurt or something. Once he gets stronger he will be fine, you can see it in his game at times where he wants to do something or get to a certain area but he just doesn't have the strength yet to fight through the check, but once he does he'll be able to take his game to another level which really is the impressive part to me.

Something someone said about Keith Primeau was that in his rookie year they wondered why he was drafted, wondering what the organization was thinking. I think it was Steve Yzerman or someone like that. Not saying Monahan would be a Primeau, but like JTech says,  "he is still adjusting to a growth spurt or something." Really, he's still adjusting to being in his body and adjusting to the difference when growing muscle.

Something someone said about Keith Primeau was that in his rookie year they wondered why he was drafted, wondering what the organization was thinking. I think it was Steve Yzerman or someone like that. Not saying Monahan would be a Primeau, but like JTech says, "he is still adjusting to a growth spurt or something." Really, he's still adjusting to being in his body and adjusting to the difference when growing muscle.

This is true of a lot of big guys at that age. I thought bobby Ryan and the Staal forwards all looked like avg at best skaters when they entered the league. Monahan just needs more core strength IMO and I think that will come. He'll never be fleet of foot but he doesn't have to be.

Monahan has been playing the fourth line lately.  He hasn't looked very good since returning from injury.  Now Roger Millions is saying he is still hurt and the coaches have him trying to play through it.  

Having your teenage rookie sensation playing injured on the fourth line seems a little ..... daft.  

Monahan has been playing the fourth line lately.  He hasn't looked very good since returning from injury.  Now Roger Millions is saying he is still hurt and the coaches have him trying to play through it.  

Having your teenage rookie sensation playing injured on the fourth line seems a little ..... daft.  

If only he took his time on the recovery, and had a confidence booster like the WJC coming up.

Instead he's going to get babied on the 4th line between some face punchers, throughout our losing streak.

If only he took his time on the recovery, and had a confidence booster like the WJC coming up.

Instead he's going to get babied on the 4th line between some face punchers, throughout our losing streak.

Although I was originally a proponent of keeping him on the flames, if he is getting forth line minutes I could not agree with this more.

Monahan has been playing the fourth line lately. He hasn't looked very good since returning from injury. Now Roger Millions is saying he is still hurt and the coaches have him trying to play through it.

I think he looks hurt as well. I know he isn't the greatest skater at the best of times but he looks more hesitant and slower than pre injury. I agree if he isn't 100% don't risk it.

Just because he might be playing while still hurt does not make for a good reason to now send him to the WJr's.

Give your heads a shake please. If he is hurt he should not be playing until fully recovered.

If he is okay'd for play yet still recovering(not going to get further hurt with this injury while playing) what is wrong with giving him sheltered minutes to ease him back into gameday type shape?

1 person likes this

That's bad management. Keep him off the ice until he is recovered. 

Absolutely! He is young and anything that could slow down his development or even reduce his potential should be avoided. Imho playing while not being fully recovered is on that list. Pain sometimes lead to wrong courses of motion that take more time to be corrected.

Just for the record:

If Calgary would have a German Player for the WJC that would help Germany to avoid relegation and this player would be part of the future plans of Calgary to win the Stanley Cup, I wouldn't want him to play the WJC if he could play 10 NHL minutes a game.

One more.....

The expectations for team Canada are very high. Anything but the title is the mentality. So when are the WJC a confidence boost for Monahan? For Germans it is everything but the relegation. For Canadians it is only the title. There is no team with a higher pressure then Canada (and maybe Sweden as host).

you're so much nicer than me

This is a rebuild year and there is NO reason to push Monahan through an injury to play. Bring up Reinhardt