DirtyDeeds

The Official Monahan Thread

Monahan staying the right choice?   67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,170 posts in this topic

There was no reason to overplay him to begin with.   Sheltered NHL minutes is more than enough even for franchise-players when they're 18.

There was no reason to overplay him to begin with.   Sheltered NHL minutes is more than enough even for franchise-players when they're 18.

If he is still injured, wouldn't the team doctors hold him back?  I can't see them giving the green light to play if there still is some doubt.

But, hey what do I know. :lol:

If he is still injured, wouldn't the team doctors hold him back?  I can't see them giving the green light to play if there still is some doubt.

But, hey what do I know. :lol:

They didn't the first time.  On what basis are you assuming that they are now?  Obviously not past history..

They didn't the first time.  On what basis are you assuming that they are now?  Obviously not past history..

I was assuming that being given the OK coming back from IR is more than a trivial thing; is it not league mandated?  When he injured it, he was able to skate afterwards, so they probably did not Xray it.  In followups after he played and it became painful to play on, they did find a hairline fracture.

There is a good article on the main page about Monahan playing on the 4th line.

Monahan is still in a walking boot as more of a precautionary measure, and Hartley is playing him in the 4th line more to ease him back in to the lineup. Monahan will work his way back up the lineup.

There is a good article on the main page about Monahan playing on the 4th line.

Monahan is still in a walking boot as more of a precautionary measure, and Hartley is playing him in the 4th line more to ease him back in to the lineup. Monahan will work his way back up the lineup.

While I don't doubt that Mony will be back to his awesome rookie ways soon, it's the bolded part of this statement that will have worry-warts and conspiracy-theorists foaming at the mouth.

While I don't doubt that Mony will be back to his awesome rookie ways soon, it's the bolded part of this statement that will have worry-warts and conspiracy-theorists foaming at the mouth.

I truly believe he was kidnapped by aliens.  Wait, I lost my tinfoil hat!!!!  The gamma rays are melting my brain!!!!

I was assuming that being given the OK coming back from IR is more than a trivial thing; is it not league mandated?  When he injured it, he was able to skate afterwards, so they probably did not Xray it.  In followups after he played and it became painful to play on, they did find a hairline fracture.

Also, downloading music is illegal.

All I can say is, every year there's a ton of examples of players who come back too soon after their injuries and pay for it.

And, there's always a few examples of 18 year olds that either shouldn't have been in the NHL yet, or shouldn't have had the NHL roles they did yet.   

I truly believe he was kidnapped by aliens.  Wait, I lost my tinfoil hat!!!!  The gamma rays are melting my brain!!!!

Indeed. 

The fourth line article heavily cited his Coast to Coast AM interview wherein he stated that he was advised by the lizard people to play through the injury because Brian Burke, who's a known interdimensional visitor, outlined both science and biblical prophecy regarding the return of Planet X (Wormwood) which he believes will have dire consequences for the Earth.

Gawd, I hope I don't get sued for defamation. 

Love. 

3bf2f9b5b3a2c4d4e1d92b4f83bae491.png

When I discovered that Alex Jones was really his agent, it told me all I needed to know about how the rest of his career was going to go.

I love how we're all pretending this isn't the stereotype that we see happen too often with prospects up North.

If Aliens are from Edmonton, then yeah...this looks a lot like Aliens right now.

After I rolled out of bed on Boxing Day, went for a run, had a shower and ate lunch I decided to check TSN to see how badly Canada had beaten Germany at the WJHC.  7-2. 

I thought to myself, "Imagine the high pressure situational experience Monahan could have gained in that game.  Why didn't the Flames let him go to Sweden?  They could have saved a few bucks in the process." 

Then I thought, "Oh, the Flames are playing the Oilers tonight in a meaningless game of their own.  Monahan will get just as much high pressure situational experience without having to cross the ocean." 

Good call Burkie.

After I rolled out of bed on Boxing Day, went for a run, had a shower and ate lunch I decided to check TSN to see how badly Canada had beaten Germany at the WJHC.  7-2. 

I thought to myself, "Imagine the high pressure situational experience Monahan could have gained in that game.  Why didn't the Flames let him go to Sweden?  They could have saved a few bucks in the process." 

Then I thought, "Oh, the Flames are playing the Oilers tonight in a meaningless game of their own.  Monahan will get just as much high pressure situational experience without having to cross the ocean." 

Good call Burkie.

Well, to be fair, the decision for Monahan was Feaster's, not Burke's.  So it would appear that Burke is maintaining that decision out of respect for the guy, at least in my eyes anyways.  An about face would be a slap in the face of Feaster.

Secondly, and yes, this is contradictory, but Monahan has been walking with a boot between games.  Being injured doesn't help his situation with team Canada.  Yeah, he's been playing with the Flames regardless (which I personally think is stupid), but the team doc's are paid well for a reason, they know what they are doing.  In case of any medical ailments happening, Monahan has immediate access to the Flames' medical staff.

As much as I want him there, there is too much that happened in the process to be able to send him on a whim.

Well, to be fair, the decision for Monahan was Feaster's, not Burke's.  So it would appear that Burke is maintaining that decision out of respect for the guy, at least in my eyes anyways.  An about face would be a slap in the face of Feaster.

Secondly, and yes, this is contradictory, but Monahan has been walking with a boot between games.  Being injured doesn't help his situation with team Canada.  Yeah, he's been playing with the Flames regardless (which I personally think is stupid), but the team doc's are paid well for a reason, they know what they are doing.  In case of any medical ailments happening, Monahan has immediate access to the Flames' medical staff.

As much as I want him there, there is too much that happened in the process to be able to send him on a whim.

Doctors or no, it's stupid.  

Aas per above, they're playing him injured and he's wearing a boot between games.  Unless, of course, this is a new fashion that just hasn't hit mainstream in Calgary yet.

I was 1 that wanted Monahan on TC for the WJC. 1 fact changed my opinion.

He's slowly working his way back from an injury.

@ least on the Flames there is control of his minutes/game situations used. I'd rather he take time to heal as we are unlikely to even hit the bubble but there isn't much you can do with a hairline foot fracture. 10 minutes & change are unlikely to worsen it.

Well guess it would nt have helped out his development that much being in a "winning environment" everybody thought he should he have been in.  Glad he stayed with the Flames. Playing with men (who he will be playing against his career) and losing is better then playing with a bunch of kids and losing.

Yeah, seeing the expression on Ristolainen's face when he won made me realise the WJHC is just a write off that has no value to developing players... yeah... sure....

It was a mistake not sending Monahan, end of story. The fact we lost is irrelevant to the opportunity that was presented.

In the time he would have missed with the Flames, the team was 1-4 and scored 0.8 goals per game. Great experience for the kid.

Sorry, look on his face wouldn't have been anything like Ristolainens. I don't see how losing with kids is a mistake compared to losing with the team he's gona play with for his career, but I guess losing with team Canada and not even getting a medal would have been an awesome experience for the kid.

Monahan shouldn't even be playing, period.  So the argument of him going or not is pointless.  It grinds me that they are playing him at all, meanwhile wearing a boot off the ice.

Whats with the boot? I know its because of his injury obviously, but has this been brought up in question in any press conference at all? Is there any reason of why they are playing him with an injury? I agree we shouldn't be rushing any player back from any injury or playing them on it, but is there anything more about why this is happening?

Monahan has scored all of the Flames goals in the last 4+ games.  Keeping him in the NHL was the right decision.  No need to ruin his confidence by demoting back down to junior.  Look at what a rough tournament Dumba had - he probably wanted to be up with the Wild.

Not that I agree or disagree with you, you have to also wonder if Canada would have won a medal if he played. Also, would Sutter have chosen him at all. 

Something that has been speculated here in Vancouver was, since the WJC is being played in Toronto and Montreal that they chose younger players so they'd have the experience to play next year and be ready to win gold then.

Yeah, seeing the expression on Ristolainen's face when he won made me realise the WJHC is just a write off that has no value to developing players... yeah... sure....

It was a mistake not sending Monahan, end of story. The fact we lost is irrelevant to the opportunity that was presented.

In the time he would have missed with the Flames, the team was 1-4 and scored 0.8 goals per game. Great experience for the kid.

Something that has been speculated here in Vancouver was, since the WJC is being played in Toronto and Montreal that they chose younger players so they'd have the experience to play next year and be ready to win gold then.

What? That GM needs to be fired! All those players in the right age that could have benefited from the experience? If those younger players have not been the best option and team Canada simply gambled this year to win the gold medal next year....

For team Canada the gold medal should be the demand for every year. The development has a high standard that the claim is eligible.

Don Cherry and others have been saying that the politics are screwing things in Hockey Canada and its selection process. I have heard no one say anything too specific however so it is very hard to judge what those politics might be and how they are affecting the process.

Obviously some players are not being selected and others are not being allowed to go. Something is up. I find it hard to believe that this years tourney would be bastardized as a training tournament for next seasons Juniors. If that is the case then Hockey Canada needs a purge of all personnel in high positions.

1 person likes this