DirtyDeeds

The Official Monahan Thread

Monahan staying the right choice?   67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,170 posts in this topic

I think with Staal, he makes your team better because of how good he is. He can take over for shifts at a time because of his skill level.

With Monahan, he makes your team better because he is such a complimentary player. Is there anyone on our team he doesn't create opportunity for? He's complimentary, without a fear of shooting. His shot is most of all accurate. I think Hudler taught him patience. If you can hold it for a good read, do so. We saw both do it against Detroit last night!

As for the Bennett comparison, I don't have one due to not seeing enough of him. I'm very leery of hyping prospects for the masses.

My consternation is Bennett likes an aggressive game, and at this level, you've gotta take as good as you give.

Can someone clarify for me, but I don't think Bennett is ahl-eligible next year either, as he'll be 19 heading into next season.

June 1996 bday. The agreement is 20yo July 1, is it not?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Yes, next season Bennett will either play for the Flames or be returned to the OHL.

I hope like hell that he will be ready for the big show, but if not, I would rather he plays big minutes in every situation in Junior rather than 4th line minutes & the press-box with Calgary.

I truly wish that playing him in the AHL was an option.

Yes, next season Bennett will either play for the Flames or be returned to the OHL.

I hope like hell that he will be ready for the big show, but if not, I would rather he plays big minutes in every situation in Junior rather than 4th line minutes & the press-box with Calgary.

I truly wish that playing him in the AHL was an option.

It makes the decision tougher, I'm just leading into everyone being aware of that.

We have him for perhaps 15 years, what's the rush, if it should come to pass next year?

No big.

Over the last 25 games, Mony has been better than a point per game player (16 goals and 10 assists).  Two things are notable about those numbers.  First, during that stretch he has been tasked with centering our top line and going head to head against the other teams' best lines.  He's taking face-offs in literally every situation imaginable.  Second, it's not like those number just came in one short stretch.  He recorded at least a point in 19 of those 25 games.  So his pts per game over any number of time periods is at or just over a point/game:

Last game: 2G, 1A, 3PTS

Over last 3 games: 3G, 2A, 5PTS

Over last 5 games: 5G, 3A, 8PTS

Over last 10 games: 8G, 4A, 12PTS

Over last 15 games: 10G, 7A, 15PTS

Over last 20 games: 12G, 8A, 20PTS

Over last 25 games: 16G, 10A, 26PTS

I recognize that it's a small sample size, but this is a 20 year old kid asked to be our true blue first line centre in every way.  He is responding by playing at over a point per game pace for the last 25 games (which is nearly 40% of the games played to date). 

Those saying that he won't be a 100 pt/yr guy in his prime, while you're probably right (just on the odds of any player reaching those numbers...heck Tavares hasn't done it yet...his best season is 81 pts), I think it's way too early to close the door on that one.

By the end of this year He'll make 60-some points for sure ,70 would be great (but even with his current play probably out of reach). Hopefully at least 30 goals (He's close already).

Those numbers in his second year?

I think it safe to say in his prime he'll be averaging 80-90/year with good linemates, and has the potential to hit 100 in a good year.

Throw in his excellent face-off improvement in two years, and his dedication to backchecking, and that's a pretty solid player by any measure.

Definitely a true #1C that we've been looking for for the last dozen years.

Can you imagine the team if Bennett can be as good?

(random addendum: wonder if Johnny can hit 60 points and Hudler 30 goals? Both are within reach)

1 person likes this

Hey, someone want to explain to Monahan what a sophomore slump is because I don't think he understands. 28 goals as a 20yo. When was the last time we had someone like this? I really think he can hit 30 by season's end.

1 person likes this

Hey, someone want to explain to Monahan what a sophomore slump is because I don't think he understands. 28 goals as a 20yo. When was the last time we had someone like this? I really think he can hit 30 by season's end.

I don't know man, that's like 2 goals in the next 11 games, with those plugs Johnny and Hudler on his wings, ain't gonna happen :P

/end sarcasm

I seriously think he could make a run for 35 goals. Especially if the Hudreanahan line keeps playing the way it has been

1 person likes this

What i like about Monahan's goals is that they aren't all within 6 feet of the net.  He is a perimeter shooting threat from beyond the faceoff circle.  Not many in the league can say that.  The thing with his wrist shots too is that the wind-up is nearly non-existent compared to another elite scorer we know very well, Jarome Iginla.  Iginla pulls it waaaay back and dips down into it.  Yes, it's a hard shot but it's not fooling anybody that he's shooting.  Monahan's wrist shot is subtle and in stride, yet still hard and accurate.  Catches goalies off guard.

Mony makes Johnny better, and Johnny makes Mony better. And Hudler rounds them all out. I think they all would have success separately, but we are seeing the emergence of an elite line. Some players can get ruined by early exposure to the NHL, playing on a losing team, or just being rushed into being a leader.

Mony was a team leader before he played a single NHL game. He was leaned on in the OHL, so he came to CGY and quietly showed that he had the maturity to succeed in a men's league. No 2nd year slump for him. In fact, he has taken off. He plays like a guy reaching his career peak, but he isn't close to it. How was it that he was rated 5th or 5th by the scouts? Is he really that boring to watch scoring goals?

I think it's because he plays a quiet game why he fell. 

He was on a terrible team, and think he was also injured and missed the WJC, plus I agree his quiet game doesn't draw attention from afar. All the sizzle was with Mackinnon/Drouin versus Seth Jones, with a couple other big/skilled centres in there too.

No matter what the reasons were, I am oh so glad that Calgary was able to draft him.

He long ago passed my expectations and appears to be continuing to grow his game.

Quite frankly, I now feel that the sky is the limit for him, when he reaches his peak years.

So passes the sophomore slump. Just as I'd thought.

My prayers were answered when we got a top C from the O.

And Hallelujah we've got another in Bennett.

Oh this is gonna get good.

I'm sure others are aware of this fact, but I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I was looking up stat leaders. And there was our guy tied for 10th in the league with 29 goals. I knew he was having a good year, and that the line of Hudler-Mony-Gaudreau had been exceptional, but a top ten goal scorer. Now that has me excited for some playoffs and long term success.

I'm not too surprised. Seeing him last year, scoring goals in the way he was, I figured he would be  a good goal-scorer for us. I didn't expect this level of proficiency this quickly, but not that surprised that he is doing it. He always seems to open himself up to be in the right spot for a pass, and tends to shoot only when he has a high chance at scoring (explains his shooting percentage last year and this year, both in the 15%-17% range). And he works hard. It might be a bit of a push, but I think he could still hit 35 goals this year (6 goals in 9 games, with how that first line is performing, I wouldn't doubt it).

I'm sure others are aware of this fact, but I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I was looking up stat leaders. And there was our guy tied for 10th in the league with 29 goals. I knew he was having a good year, and that the line of Hudler-Mony-Gaudreau had been exceptional, but a top ten goal scorer. Now that has me excited for some playoffs and long term success.

I did not know that.

Top 10 scorer in your second year? That's pretty impressive.

Next year, if Gaudreau progresses as well as Monahan did we could have 3 in the top 20 (Hudler is currently 14th in the league).

That's a pretty scary top 3.

Then throw in Bennett coming up, plus our other 8 or 9 guys who are scoring 10+....

I liked his comment about the sophomore slump. That said in his mind after being in the league for 2 years now he should be better next year. Scary thought for the opposition.  Mony has been the best player this year in his draft class

& that places him #5 among centers. He's in some pretty good company.

He's becoming a beast at the dot also.

His backchecking has been solid.

One thing I noticed, straight out of camp, he holds his head high and proud.

He's turning into something alright.

And still progressing?

It's a short career, focus might win you a cup.

He gets it.

Sean Monahan is officially the youngest Flame ever to record a 30 goal season. What is this kids limit? Anybody think he gets 7 points in the last 4 games to get him 100 career points?

Anybody think he gets 7 points in the last 4 games to get him 100 career points?

Unlikely, but possible. Next two games are against Coyotes and Oilers, so I mean, that top line should combine for about 6 goals in those two games :P And Gaudreau has been beast against LA so he might sneak another point in there.

If he gets 3-4 points in the first 2 games I think he'll his 100, if he doesn't then he wont (unless you count playoff points).

I think one thing to keep in mind when you talk about Monahan being ranked only 5th is that he was 5th in what was called an excellent draft and one of the best since 2003. The main question mark with Monahan was his upside because he played on such a bad team. Could he make others around him better, did he bring a high end offensive game or was he more of a second line player, those type of questions. It really wasn't a huge knock against him it just happened to be a really deep draft and most scouting reporting I read actually really liked Monahan. I think it's also a bit unfair to say the teams in front of the flames all make mistakes. I would suggest colorado and nashville are both very happy and I'm not sure they would do it over again if they could and I'm not so sure florida would either. Barkov has looked just fine and I bet if you gave him Hudler and Gaudreau his point totals will improve. Tampa and Carolina, mainly Carolina, would probably do it over again yes but I thought both teams should have taken Monahan anyway. Imo Monahan should have been ranked only behind Mackinnon, Jones and Barkov.