The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
DirtyDeeds

The Official Monahan Thread

Monahan staying the right choice?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

If having Reinhart and Monahan up the middle means we are gentle (lol) then I will take that 1-2 punch any day of the week. Two of the smartest hockey players)at center too) to come out of the last two years drafts we should be so lucky.

I think you can be gentle up thd middle so long as they are skilled, smart, have good reach, and you've got grit on the wings. I'd gs thrilled to have Monahan, Reinhart and Backund as the flames top 3 centers that would be incredible.

I agree with you both.  Reinhart is rated #1 for a reason.  The scouting report says “vision, reading the offensive zone & instincts around the net are exceptional”.  This kid thinks the game better than anyone in his class and will likely be a 1C someday.  In the other thread (Top 10 Draft Pool) 5 of 11 entries have Reinhart falling to us at 4.  Let’s hope they’re right.

There is a difference between a player like Getzlaf that isn't overly physical and a player like Bouwmeester that avoids contact entirely.

Also, our system isn't exactly full of physical D and wingers. Kopitar and Getzlaf aren't physical. But their teams are. Down the middle. On the wing. And at D.

I would prefer a guy like Bennett over Reinhart because I think our system needs it more.

There is a difference between a player like Getzlaf that isn't overly physical and a player like Bouwmeester that avoids contact entirely.

Also, our system isn't exactly full of physical D and wingers. Kopitar and Getzlaf aren't physical. But their teams are. Down the middle. On the wing. And at D.

I would prefer a guy like Bennett over Reinhart because I think our system needs it more.

I'm scareeeed x.x I really hope that's who we get!

Systems change with the wind.  Talent is talent and the BPA of the two is Reinhart.  I'd gladly accept Bennett as our 4OA but if Reinhart is still available when our turn comes I think you have to take the controlled Reinhart rather than the firecracker Bennett.   

Systems change with the wind. Talent is talent and the BPA of the two is Reinhart. I'd gladly accept Bennett as our 4OA but if Reinhart is still available when our turn comes I think you have to take the controlled Reinhart rather than the firecracker Bennett.

I am not sure I agree with you that Reinhart is the best player. I think it is really close.

Reinhart is REALLY smart. But he doesn't have elite hands, he isn't fast, and he doesn't have grit. I think Bennett actually has a higher ceiling.

Regardless, in absence of a clear BPA you draft for need.

That said, I don't see too many scenarios where both Sam's are on the board at 4. So unless we move up it won't be our decision to make.

I will agree that no question if the flames were to take Reinhart, who personally I prefer, then they are going to have to be even diligent to get bigger and tougher on the wings but I think that is much easier then getting a centre as smart as Reinhart is but it will change this team a fair bit.

Monahan had 8 PIMS all season.  Reinhart had 11.  (Bennett had 87).  I appreciate that isn't a direct reflection of how physical a player is.  But that is crazy friendly.  Its like having a D full of Bouwmeesters.  It certainly isn't the "Black and Blue" hockey that the Flames are striving for.  

Lol, 'crazy friendly.'  It just means we have a few Lady Byng trophy contestants.  ROR is a stud, and the kid has some of the lowest, if not the lowest PIMS in the league, yet tears up other teams.  Reinhart and Monahan down the middle would be one heck of a show.

PIMS aren't everything.  Leave that to the likes of guys like Wolf, Poirier, and potentially even Ritchie.  Wingers can fill the grit factor.  So can the D, aka our captain Giordano, and in the future, Kanzig.

Look at the top 10 centers in the league (obviously subjective, but you get my point).  Of this list, pretty much all play a steady pace game with low PIM's. 

(in no particular order)

Crosby - far from gritty

Malkin - sleepily non-gritty

Toews - All around game, can throw the body if needed, but not known as gritty.

Tavares - not gritty at all

Kopitar - shields the puck well, plays the body, not afraid to go into the corners, not gritty.

Stamkos - not known to be gritty, scoring stud.

Giroux - a little feisty one, but not a hard nosed guy.

Getzlaf - a big body, can throw hits, isn't a huge grit on the team, especially with his size.

Backstrom - not a gritty guy

Begeron - not known to be a gritty guy

Other non-gritty centers:  Sedin, RNH, Spezza, Thornton, Duchene (19 PIMS).

Tell me then, out of all of them, where is this grit factor that's needed down the middle? The need for grit down the middle is glaringly overblown.  Utilize wingers and D for such a task.

Flames don't have it you say?  They are on their way.  And the reason why Burke and Treliving were hired to come in and clean up this mess.  Until then, Reinhart/Draisaitl would be a much welcomed addition down the middle (not saying Bennett isn't), and Monahan can continue to do what he does best. 

I guess it comes down to your definition of "Gritty" and I don't try to define it, what I'd rather have is someone like Kopitar that plays the body and isn't afraid to go into the corners but not necessarily has to.  Someone who isn't a floater or invisible every other game kind of like Tanguay (Just off the top of my head).

I don't think tons of PIM's is good in fact it's generally a detriment in my mind but if a player is smart he gets the opposing team to take the penalty not himself and that to me is "Gritty". I still take Reinhart or Bennett (My personal choice) but I think you take the PIM's in the minors with a grain of salt. 

Lol, 'crazy friendly.'  It just means we have a few Lady Byng trophy contestants.  ROR is a stud, and the kid has some of the lowest, if not the lowest PIMS in the league, yet tears up other teams.  Reinhart and Monahan down the middle would be one heck of a show.

PIMS aren't everything.  Leave that to the likes of guys like Wolf, Poirier, and potentially even Ritchie.  Wingers can fill the grit factor.  So can the D, aka our captain Giordano, and in the future, Kanzig.

Look at the top 10 centers in the league (obviously subjective, but you get my point).  Of this list, pretty much all play a steady pace game with low PIM's. 

(in no particular order)

Crosby - far from gritty

Malkin - sleepily non-gritty

Toews - All around game, can throw the body if needed, but not known as gritty.

Tavares - not gritty at all

Kopitar - shields the puck well, plays the body, not afraid to go into the corners, not gritty.

Stamkos - not known to be gritty, scoring stud.

Giroux - a little feisty one, but not a hard nosed guy.

Getzlaf - a big body, can throw hits, isn't a huge grit on the team, especially with his size.

Backstrom - not a gritty guy

Begeron - not known to be a gritty guy

Other non-gritty centers:  Sedin, RNH, Spezza, Thornton, Duchene (19 PIMS).

Tell me then, out of all of them, where is this grit factor that's needed down the middle? The need for grit down the middle is glaringly overblown.  Utilize wingers and D for such a task.

Flames don't have it you say?  They are on their way.  And the reason why Burke and Treliving were hired to come in and clean up this mess.  Until then, Reinhart/Draisaitl would be a much welcomed addition down the middle (not saying Bennett isn't), and Monahan can continue to do what he does best. 

Most of those guys play a much grittier game than Monahan or Reinhart.  Only Colorado is full of mellow C ice guys (and Stastny can play big when needed).  

I am not suggesting we need to have bruisers down the middle.  But Reinhart, Monahan, Backlund is a REALLY mellow C ice.  Using our top prospects / young players here is what our top 9 could look like:

Gaudreau-Reinhart-Poirier

Baertschi-Monahan-Klimchuk

Granlund-Backlund-Reinhart

The other teams would love coming to Calgary.  "I love those guys, they are SO nice!" Not exactly the "Black and Blue" culture we are aiming for.  At least not for the other team.  Now throw a Bennett or a Ritchie in there and the dynamic starts to change a fair bit.

If the Flames clearly see Reinhart as the best player available than of course they draft him.  But like I said, I see him on par with players like Bennett, Draisaitl, and maybe even Ritchie.  So I would draft for need.  

I guess it comes down to your definition of "Gritty" and I don't try to define it, what I'd rather have is someone like Kopitar that plays the body and isn't afraid to go into the corners but not necessarily has to.  Someone who isn't a floater or invisible every other game kind of like Tanguay (Just off the top of my head).

I don't think tons of PIM's is good in fact it's generally a detriment in my mind but if a player is smart he gets the opposing team to take the penalty not himself and that to me is "Gritty". I still take Reinhart or Bennett (My personal choice) but I think you take the PIM's in the minors with a grain of salt. 

I think Tanguay is a great comparison.  Not everyone is going to be a big hitter.  But you can't have a team of Tanguays and be successful.  Monahan/Reinhart play that really soft style.  They have the skill to get away with it.  But as a team, you can't have too many of those guys.  

What is with all this Ritchie praise? Has Brian Burke managed to brain wash you guys? If you can get him in the 10-20 range then I see it as a good pick, but the idea that Reinhart maybe on the same level or that having bid name called at 4 is something we should consider is preposterous IMO.

If he is drafted at 4th overall I will consider that the WORST 1st round pick in flames history, do not deviate from the top 4, please for the love of hockey, dont boardinging screw this up!

Most of those guys play a much grittier game than Monahan or Reinhart.  Only Colorado is full of mellow C ice guys (and Stastny can play big when needed).  

I am not suggesting we need to have bruisers down the middle.  But Reinhart, Monahan, Backlund is a REALLY mellow C ice.  Using our top prospects / young players here is what our top 9 could look like:

Gaudreau-Reinhart-Poirier

Baertschi-Monahan-Klimchuk

Granlund-Backlund-Reinhart

The other teams would love coming to Calgary.  "I love those guys, they are SO nice!" Not exactly the "Black and Blue" culture we are aiming for.  At least not for the other team.  Now throw a Bennett or a Ritchie in there and the dynamic starts to change a fair bit.

If the Flames clearly see Reinhart as the best player available than of course they draft him.  But like I said, I see him on par with players like Bennett, Draisaitl, and maybe even Ritchie.  So I would draft for need.  

:lol:

Keep in mind that this was Monahan's first season in the NHL.  As the year progressed, he went into the corners a lot harder.  Reinhart is a very smart kid, I doubt he's going to be the mosquito you are making him out to be.  His compete level will have to rise as he hits the NHL, as every players' does, and I'm sure he's very aware of this.  Monahan's grit/compete level will rise going into the next few years as well.

Top prospects can be traded for other top prospect needs.  Most teams' mandate is to draft BPA, and not based on need, therefore there will be eligable trade partners out there looking for what the Flames could possibly have.

What is with all this Ritchie praise? Has Brian Burke managed to brain wash you guys? If you can get him in the 10-20 range then I see it as a good pick, but the idea that Reinhart maybe on the same level or that having bid name called at 4 is something we should consider is preposterous IMO.

If he is drafted at 4th overall I will consider that the WORST 1st round pick in flames history, do not deviate from the top 4, please for the love of hockey, dont boardinging screw this up!

How many times have you watched the players play? Honest question. If you are an expert on their play good on you. Otherwise I would keep a more open mind. This is a flat draft class. Even in years where it isn't many times players end up being much better than the consensus number 4.

If the Flames go off the board like they did with Jankowski I will be upset. But otherwise we are going to get a great prospect. Even if they go for Ritchie or Dal Colle.

:lol:

Keep in mind that this was Monahan's first season in the NHL. As the year progressed, he went into the corners a lot harder. Reinhart is a very smart kid, I doubt he's going to be the mosquito you are making him out to be. His compete level will have to rise as he hits the NHL, as every players' does, and as Monahan's will going into the next few years.

Top prospects can be traded for other top prospect needs. Most teams' mandate is to draft BPA, and not based on need, therefore there will be eligable trade partners out there looking for what the Flames could possibly have.

Don't get me wrong. I really like Monahan. But he and Reinhart were both gentle in junior. I don't see that changing. But I agree with drafting best player available. I just don't see Reinhart the way some of you do (in part due to his gentle play) . I think Bennett is the better player, and I think Draisaitl and Ritchie are close.

^^^BINGO S4xon^^^

For most of these kids coming into the league, there shell shocked lining up against players they have idolized there whole lives, it takes time to settle in and as they do they will start having more faith in there abilities, with that they will battle harder, dig deeper and start holding on to the puck longer (obviously this doesn't apply to everyone)

I fully expect to see Monahan play a stronger all around game in the next couple of years, sure he may never have the same physical presence as a D Brown or Steve Ott but he does have other intangibles that will make up for that.

Don't get me wrong. I really like Monahan. But he and Reinhart were both gentle in junior. I don't see that changing. But I agree with drafting best player available. I just don't see Reinhart the way some of you do (in part due to his gentle play) . I think Bennett is the better player, and I think Draisaitl and Ritchie are close.

I think you are misinterpreting the 'black and blue hockey' mandate Burke is aiming for.  Burke said there is room for high skill guys on the team, but you need to surround them with beef.  This solidifies what I've been saying with heavy hitting wingers and D.  So far, they've managed to attain 2 enforcers in McGrattan and Westgarth, added Wolf which we don't know exaclty how he'll pan out at the NHL level, and Van Brabant. More to come. (E3)

Any one of those draft picks, Reinhart included is part of the vision laid out for the Flames.

How many times have you watched the players play? Honest question. If you are an expert on their play good on you. Otherwise I would keep a more open mind. This is a flat draft class. Even in years where it isn't many times players end up being much better than the consensus number 4.

If the Flames go off the board like they did with Jankowski I will be upset. But otherwise we are going to get a great prospect. Even if they go for Ritchie or Dal Colle.

Fair enough, but my problem is that up until Burke name dropped the kid he wasn't even up for consideration at 4, all the hype, all the experts, all the scouts and pundits have 4 guys sitting at the top that you cant go wrong with and quite frankly we cant afford to gamble...

If you want to acquire other picks to go off the board then I am fine with that, but don't use the highest pick in franchise history to fulfill your wet dream. We as a fan base have already seen enough of this type of thinking when it comes to adding youthful talent.

I think you are misinterpreting the 'black and blue hockey' mandate Burke is aiming for. Burke said there is room for high skill guys on the team, but you need to surround them with beef. This solidifies what I've been saying with heavy hitting wingers and D. So far, they've managed to attain 2 enforcers in McGrattan and Westgarth, added Wolf which we don't know exaclty how he'll pan out at the NHL level, and Van Brabant. More to come. (E3)

Any one of those draft picks, Reinhart included is part of the vision laid out for the Flames.

I am not. I just want to know where the beef is to surround our skill guys. I don't consider fourth line brawlers as the beef. They need to be integrated throughout the roster.

Anyway, feeling like this has gone in long enough :) I feel like Reinhart is a great prospect that doesn't fit our system as well as similar prospects that will be available.

I am not. I just want to know where the beef is to surround our skill guys. I don't consider fourth line brawlers as the beef. They need to be integrated throughout the roster.

Anyway, feeling like this has gone in long enough :) I feel like Reinhart is a great prospect that doesn't fit our system as well as similar prospects that will be available.

I respect your opinion, however, I feel Reinhart would be an addition the Flames could utilize going forward, whether that'd be using him, or swapping him with another teams' top prospect.

The point is moot anyways.  My interest still lies in Draisaitl.  However, any one of the top 5, including Ritchie, I wouldn't bat an eye at.

Monahan will get a helluva team mate to play with.

I respect your opinion, however, I feel Reinhart would be an addition the Flames could utilize going forward, whether that'd be using him, or swapping him with another teams' top prospect.

The point is moot anyways. My interest still lies in Draisaitl. However, any one of the top 5, including Ritchie, I wouldn't bat an eye at.

Monahan will get a helluva team mate to play with.

Agreed. I want Benning. But you won't hear me complain if the Flames pick any of Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Ritchie, Dal Colle, or Draisaitl.

Draisaitl is intriguing. I think him, Bennett, and RRitchie have the highest ceilings of that group.

Agreed. I want Benning. But you won't hear me complain if the Flames pick any of Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Ritchie, Dal Colle, or Draisaitl.

Draisaitl is intriguing. I think him, Bennett, and RRitchie have the highest ceilings of that group.

He would have been interesting, but the Canucks have him now.  :P

Monahan's gonna be one of those very deceptive players that you just never know where he'll be, once his skating speeds up even a little he's going to be a solid pillar for us in the future.

He just seems to have that calmness that can make everything seem to go in slow motion for himself, reminds me of that episode of futurama.

In the end the argument is moot as it could be debated all day but pretty much whoever the flames decide is BPA for them is going to be there at 4 I'm almost certain of it.

I'm on board for any of the top 4 and Dal Colle I think all 5 will do well, they all seem to have a great drive in them and loads of potential that can hopefully be honed.

I can't see either 1 available at 4 it will be ek or ben 1and 2 then Reinhart but Im ok with that I really like what Ritchie will bring to the table. I think he is the dark horse of the draft. And I think Our D with  Sieloff Is going to be another phenuff as far as big hits go in the near future which will put the scare in teams when they enter our Zone. 

Monahan Offers Up Advice for Bennett

"I just told him to be himself and play his game," Monahan said on Monday afternoon. "Obviously he's a good player and I think whatever he does here is going to help him make that step and he's just got to learn from that."

What's everyone thoughts about our "Junior Captain" in training? :lol:

Between giving advice and even giving a call to congratulate and welcome Bennett once drafted, I think Money is doing a very good job being a teammate and showing his leadership qualities I think.  Although it's early to think now but in the distant future I believe Monahan will make a spectacular Gio (Or whoever proceeds him) replacement!

I just get that vibe from him and it makes me giddily grin for the future!

Monahan Offers Up Advice for Bennett

What's everyone thoughts about our "Junior Captain" in training? :lol:

Between giving advice and even giving a call to congratulate and welcome Bennett once drafted, I think Money is doing a very good job being a teammate and showing his leadership qualities I think.  Although it's early to think now but in the distant future I believe Monahan will make a spectacular Gio (Or whoever proceeds him) replacement!

I just get that vibe from him and it makes me giddily grin for the future!

Yea much like Jonathan Toews, Monahan has a "captain serious" about him.  Monahan is not outgoing though so i hope he can work on that part of his personality if he wants to be a captain one day.  Sam Bennett, on the other hand, has drawn comparisons to Jonathan Toews when he's on the ice but haven't heard if Bennett is as good off the ice.  Not sure if Bennett is captain material yet either.

I think with Monahan he's well on his way to eventually becoming Captain material.  This was the leadership I was referring to back in a previous post.  His actions on and off the ice, especially with our new crop of draftees, has shown he's a born leader.  His quiet demeanor with the press I think will pass but for me a Captain doesn't have to always be Mr Johnny Sunshine.  There have been a great number of Captains in the NHL that have gone about their business on the ice and let that speak for them rather than be good at handling the media.  I like Monahan's progression thus far and see great things for him in the future.