The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Darts

I just started playing darts.

Does anyone else play?  Any tips on dart choice, throw methods, stance, and consistency?  What beer helps with performance the most?  Thanks.

Does anyone else play?  Any tips on dart choice, throw methods, stance, and consistency?  What beer helps with performance the most?  Thanks.

A few tips:

• Aim for the bullseye, its the only part of the board worth any reaction to your friends and fellow drunk pubsters.
  • Throw only one at a time, they aren't :ph34r: stars.  The only star here is you.
  • Use only one hand when throwing them, unless they are too heavy.  Then you can use the popular "two hands between your legs" stance, like kids do in bowling.
  • Recoop your body's energy after the rigorous physical labor of each turn with a drink of beer.
  • The more drunk you are, the better you'll get.
  • Hire a few cheerleaders.  It's a great confidence booster

Looks like you are all set.  Oh, the recommended beer of choice.  Well that's easy....

st-patricks-day-graphics-guiness-beer.jp

It adds a new element to the game if you take some lighter fluid and set the board ablaze first...   Word of caution though, your local pub may frown at this idea...

2e2016b510e6f0efee494d2120126d84.png

I'm no expert but I have played some darts in the past.  As a matter of fact, it used to be part of my game day ritual when I was a smoker.  In between periods, usually of important games, I'd go my garage, light up a smoke or two (not at the same time) and play darts.

Dart choice: I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference although some darts are clearly better than others.  The cheaper darts tend to get dull faster and the wings have a habit of coming out pretty easily.  I prefer a heavier dart.

Throw methods: Again, I'm not an expert but I've found that what works best for me is to have a straight elbow, parallel to the ground, with the dart trajectory directly in front of my eyes.  I also found that using your wrist helps rather than just using your arm.

Stance: I throw right handed and I usually lead with my right foot but I've seen others do the opposite foot.

Consistency:  Practice.  And while practicing try to use a consistent delivery.  Try playing games when you're alone like "around the clock" or whatever it's called.  It'll help keep you interested and also help you practice a consistent technique.

Beer:  The first two beers are important.  It should be a darker beer that can be consumed when it's not very cold.  After that, any beer will do.  Also, drink with your non-throwing hand as it might get cold.

Random tip:  To be a really good dart player you'll likely have to become an obese alcoholic who sweats profusely from standing up.  If helps if you're British.

I was in a dart league when I was in the navy (patiently awaits a smarty-pants comment with Pyro's banhammer).  Back then, I preferred playing with much heavier darts; I started out using 28's, but found that 34's were just perfect for me.

I also found that my aim increased proportionally with the amount of beer consumed, as long as it was Canadian beer (I never liked Guinness).

As for my stance, I would line the outside edge of my right foot against the throw line.

Other than this, I really can't offer much more help, but I'll be more than happy to play with you some time.

I was in a dart league when I was in the navy (patiently awaits a smarty-pants comment with Pyro's banhammer).

X

Other than this, I really can't offer much more help, but I'll be more than happy to play with you some time.

LMAO....Do you want your hammer back?

2 of my bro's were in the navy (Esquimalt many moons ago).

I have also crossed paths with a few aquaintances (M&F) that were "In The Navy"

I have tossed many darts over the years although the frequently now has tapered to almost nil.

Darts is like golf. You will show rapid improvement then will hit a hard "sticking" point where improvement slows to a crawl.

I would recommend buying a board & practice, practice, practice.

Go to a dart store where they will let you try several sets of darts.

Look for a set & flights that suit your throwing style. It will probably change over time.

Practice is most efficient & effective solo; no scoring, no waiting.

Like putting in golf, aim for a larger target and then decrease your target as skill improves.

Work on tight grouping, learn your double-outs from 160 down

A regular opponent for actual play would be beneficial now & again.

Many Royal Canadian Legions have dart leagues which can be a lot of fun.

Some pubs may have these too.

Pints of ale & lager have seemed to be beneficial to me.

Moderation is the key as your proficiency will fall off a cliff after a set amount of beverages.

I also notice this playing pool/billiards or golf.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I think a few of them really hit the bullseye.

I'm simply too newb at the moment to really know what kind of darts suit me best.  Compared to others, one apparent thing is that i "float" the dart to the board rather than laser beaming it to the board with authority.  i'm lobbing it there but it feels like i have more control when I do that.  When i put power behind my throw, the results are totally wild.  Not sure if I should change this.  Is power all in the wrist? And does throwing with more power help with consistency?

Also, heavier darts does feel better.  I also seem to prefer shorter darts.  With longer darts, the tail seems to drag the dart off target.

I've also tried a combination of Kokanee, Coors Light, and Heinekin.  So far, I can't conclude which one gives me a slight edge over the others.

Darts is all about your own comfort...... weight of the darts, throwing speed, stance, etc..

Just keep throwing them till you find what is best for you and stick with it.

Practice hitting the bullseye because once you get that, then hitting the bigger targets becomes much easier

I'm starting to think i need something to play for in order to improve.  Does anyone want to put an apple on their head and stand by the wall?

I'm telling you Peeps, you aren't drinking nearly enough. 

Are you using your whole arm to throw?  If so, it will be hard to get a consistent accuracy.  Here's a mechanical look at the positioning of your throwing arm.

levers.gif

Notice how this pro doesnt' move the brachial (upper) portion of his arm?  He uses a combo of his elbow and extension of his wrist to get velocity of the dart.  Lean forward on your lead foot.

1F54B43BDCB2DB8B2EC4D5EB164778.jpg  (notice his beer gut?  Pro :lol:)

A good start to aiming is bringing the dart close to your nose, and lining up your fingers with the target right in front of your eye.  It's a great habit to get into.

2n6vrte.jpgwtbp8y.jpg

Accuracy is the tricky part; a combo of velocity, and arch, which is where you release the dart either before, at, or after top dead center.  Ignore the backwards motion.  Always remember to follow through with each shot

throw.gif

I wasn't joking when I laid out the tips in my above post, here's a look at how a pro does it.  One dart at a time, cheerleaders (a drunken crowd), and beer (guiness). :)

Notice how this pro doesnt' move the brachial (upper) portion of his arm?  He uses a combo of his elbow and extension of his wrist to get velocity of the dart.  Lean forward on your lead foot.

1F54B43BDCB2DB8B2EC4D5EB164778.jpg  (notice his beer gut?  Pro :lol:)

A good start to aiming is bringing the dart close to your nose, and lining up your fingers with the target right in front of your eye.  It's a great habit to get into.

2n6vrte.jpgwtbp8y.jpg

Hey thanks man!  These actually helped a lot.

My cricket score is like 1.40 or so... which means 1.4 of 3 darts hit a scoring target.

Usually when I play 701, it takes me 15 rounds to have a chance to close out the game.

As in any other recreational game played for $s try playing doubles. Always have a good looking youngish female in revealing attire as your partner. As the oppososing players ogle/droll you concentrate on your game as you & your partner can enjoy tossing around in your well earned winnings later.

I haven't tried this for darts but it works well for any games played with a cue (billiards/pool) or the form of shuffleboard played on a board (straight or bank board).

Contrary to what others tell you, it has nothing to do with your skill, style nor wrist action (threw that in for those that will respond :P to that line) but the outcome is largely determined by the curvature of the female partners cleavage &/or leg.

On the other hand (another opening), if playing in the local legion league just find a set of darts with a balance that suits your release. As in everything you need that balance.

Practise before you run your mouth as most of those old farts have played the game since before you were born. When they kick your butt playing blindfolded with 1 hand behind their back push them & their wheelchair back to the table & thank them for the lesson. Those are the 1s that can teach you to throw like a pro. Don't pout if they tell you you throw like a girl (amateurs do). When you learn they'll quit saying that.

As to the brand of beer, in example A you determine what those losers buy you (I like German or Dutch imports myself) but in example B try to get away with buying the vet a pitcher of whatever draft he is likely drinking. That way when you return for further lessons on an afternoon & you prepay that will cover your next schooling. It'll probably cost you a few pitchers but that gent will teach you more than any advice we could give.

As in many things it involves the eye. The better your eye/hand dexterity the better you play.

Guest happycat

There was a Bruce Lee movie, where some thug was reaching for a gun, and Lee just throws two bamboo darts through his hands. OUCH.... On DS9, Quark the Frengie bartender was introducing the game of darts, and the hapzardly threw them at Morn.... But with knife projectiles, as the actress who played Clove on Hunger games said throwing darts-knives is difficult. Like you need to let it go at the right angle. this is why it's just easier join the UofC's gun club. (a Chinese-Canadian kid started one this year)... This is why I perfere Melee weapons like Maces and swords when I play Chivalry online.... the only problem is if you accidently kill your own teamates (which happened alot in Mideval war actually) you could be booted. This is why in Martial arts movies, when villians surround the hero, they don't go all in at once... It's very easy to trip or something into your friend's spears... 

I was playing dartslive last week.   My buddy and I were struggling along as usual. 

Then these two younger kids walk in and start playing on the machine next to our's. The one kid was hitting bullseye, bullseye, and bullseye.  He goes to pick up his darts non-chalantly and steps back to the line on his turn. Again, bullseye, bullseye, and bullseye.  And again, bullseye, bullseye, and bullseye.

This happened for about 3 minutes and me and my buddy simply stopped playing and dropped our jaws in amazement.  We thought, "who in the puck is this guy?!?!"  He made it look so easy and effortless.  The other kid was not bad either hitting bullseye 2 of 3 shots, virtually every time.

Behind us was an older dude, probably in his mid-40s, laughing his head off because he saw the reaction of me and my buddy.  He walks over and then introduces the kids to us.  "That's my son, Shaun." he said, "and the other kid is my nephew.  Both were Canadian national darts champions when they were under 18-years-old.  My son is 20 and my nephew is 19."

Forget the nephew for a second because he was still a bit raw/rough.  The son, on the other hand, is destined for fame.  You can tell he's got it all in order because his mechanics were refined and his attitude was positively confident.  They've both been playing darts since they were maybe 5-years-old and you can tell.  Throwing a dart looks so natural to them, it looks like they aren't even trying.

The dad continued, "last week Shaun was in Las Vegas for Dartslive tournament and he finished 16th overall in the world."  which is a huge accomplishment for a 20-year-old.  I personally couldn't believe there are 15 more people in this world better than he is.  It's one thing to see darts pro's on TV but to see one live in person is amazing.

His name is Shaun Narain, from Calgary.  A steel tip darts player who is transitioning to soft tip darts, trying to popularize the arcade Dartslive, and in the process, make a name for himself.  At 20-years of age, he looks to be hands down the #1 Canadian darts player in his age group and perhaps in all of Canada.  The dad, and anyone who's seen Shaun play, believes it's just a matter of time before he would challenge to be the #1 darts player in the world.

An absolute treat to have seen him play darts live in person.

Did you at least pick the kid's brain for some free pointers on your game?  Talk about a golden opportunity.

Guest happycat

Ptttth Darts. There's a funny Chow Ting See movie. Where he plays a pool hustler, who plays for the deed to his village against greedy HK developers. See  Hong Kong is composed of like 20 Islands. Lamma Island is where I lived. The second largest Island is Lantau. And there's Cheng Chau Island, Appel Chau Island, (all composed of government housing projects but nice ones). And Hong Kong Island itself. Developers developed mainly the north end of HK Island, and Kowloon side As the steep vocanic island mountains such as Victoria Peak, (ancient dormant ones). are impossible to build on. 

Steven Chow, or Chow Tsing See, (perhaps Peeps heard of him). Is a pool shark who is involved in playing for the title deed of his village land. Pool is a great game... It's so genteel with cups....