The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

s4xon

Official Olympics 2014 Thread

I'm going to start this thread off by saying:

We are going to leave the LGBT issues in Sochi Russia out of this.  Refrain from arguments on the subject, and if you MUST deliver your opinions on the matter, move on over to Calgary Puck, NHL.com, or HFboards.  For those that comment on this matter, your post will be deleted, and a verbal warning will be issued.  As this is the Official Calgary Flames boards, we wish to allow any and all people with differencing opinions to feel comfortable and welcome here on the boards.

This is a thread striclty for Olympic hockey discussion, Jersey unveilings, Olympic GDT's and good ol' Canadian hockey vs the World rivalry banter.

-Mod Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA unveils the new team USA jerseys

b3phjp.jpg

IMO.......gross.  The stars, the fake strings, and the K-swiss logo don't do the country justice. So far the Russian jerseys and the American jerseys have the fake strings.  I sure hope Nike leaves the Canada jerseys out of this.

Dustin Brown's picture says it all. :lol:

178202351.jpg

Wow.  There is so much wrong with that uniform: the stars, the "strings", the piping on the sleeves, the size and design of the logo.  About the only thing I do like is that there is no piping on the waist or cuffs.  Are all the teams jerseys being designed in the same theme or does each national association have the autonomy to do their own design?

and here is team Russia's jerseys.

New-Russia-Hockey-Jerseys.jpg

Russia-NT-Hockey-Jersey-04_large.jpg?137

It almost looks like Nike is trying to go for a streamlined look.  There is practically no collar and no cuffs on the ends of the sleeves for both Russia and USA. 

Personally I hope team Canada has a say in regards to the design, because both the USA and the Russian jersey designs are a turnoff.

Wow.  There is so much wrong with that uniform: the stars, the "strings", the piping on the sleeves, the size and design of the logo.  About the only thing I do like is that there is no piping on the waist or cuffs.  Are all the teams jerseys being designed in the same theme or does each national association have the autonomy to do their own design?

Olympic comittee has complete control and say over what Jerseys are worn.

I remember not too long ago Canada having to get new uniforms made up because the Hockey Canada logo a276234f2504794c22fbca1fd086a8ad.png was not allowed and not approved.

I think this was the one that they finally got approved

54596095b5a83fc72b6ae27a6bc12c9d.png

As for Nike there is a reason they have to pay to get their stuff worn. They are the ones who tried to get the full body suits introduced and made for Hockey and the NHL.

3fe055f02fd1c89672ef0493138bc98b.png

Close examination of the Russian Jersey shows the following:

Russia-NT-Hockey-Jersey-14_detail.jpg?13

I am going to assume that these signify the gold medals that Russia has won at Olympics however they have only won 7.

Edit: Seems that the missing 8th Gold was the Unified Team at the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville.

d7afcee0d69b5ecc496433e8e296626f.png

^ No.

Kunitz, Nash and Couture do not belong on that team, in my opinion.  It looks like they've tailored the team for the larger ice, especially the defensemen. 

The goalies are a hot mess.

Regarding the medal count above, I never thought about it before.  So based on that the Olympic men's ice hockey champion count is:

8- Canada

8- Russia

2- Sweden

2- USA

1- Czech Republic

1- Great Britain (let's face it, this is really another Team Canada)

I had no idea that there are basically only 5 countries that have won the gold and only four of them more than once.

^ No.

Kunitz, Nash and Couture do not belong on that team, in my opinion.  It looks like they've tailored the team for the larger ice, especially the defensemen. 

The goalies are a hot mess.

Regarding the medal count above, I never thought about it before.  So based on that the Olympic men's ice hockey champion count is:

8- Canada

8- Russia

2- Sweden

2- USA

1- Czech Republic

1- Great Britain (let's face it, this is really another Team Canada)

I had no idea that there are basically only 5 countries that have won the gold and only four of them more than once.

I think what pissed me off the most Red is this comment on the front page of the Nike Russian Jersey announcement:

See for yourself...http://nikeinc.com/news/russian-national-team-hockey-jersey-russia

Russia has dominated the sport and owns a place in hockey’s history that is unmatched by any other country in the world. These key achievements are celebrated on the two distinct uniforms through championship features. On the white kit, eight gold crowns are on the sleeve, and four gold stars are proudly displayed on each shoulder of the red jersey.

I guess that makes Canada and its 8(11 if you count the womens gold) gold medals just chopped liver and worthy of no mention then...

I guess that makes Canada and its 8(11 if you count the womens gold) gold medals just chopped liver and worthy of no mention then...

Nike is also an American based company and Canada has handed the US their fair share of silver medals on...well...a silver platter (pun absolutely intended).  So there is no surprise Nike would put so much effort into a comment like that...

...or it could be because they are focused on Russia for the Russian jersey unveiling.  We'll have to wait to see what they say when Canada's is unveiled.

Apparently this is the leaked Team Canada Jersey for 2014.

jjovwln.jpg?w=500&h=750

toews-canada-jersey-closeup.jpg

They went with the fake laces.  Damn you Nike.  Damn you. 

Those are the most hideous Olympic jerseys ever....blech!

I hate logos that have symbols without closure that are open to the rest of the design - the maple leaf.

Also the proper maple leaf symbol has a stem.

And the oversize Nike symbol ruins the continuity.

Guess I won't bother buying any.........

Also saw one in person today and wasn't feeling it at all  :( A gold medal hanging over it would sure help, but my goodness what a bland design. I guess we can take comfort that ours aren't nearly as nasty as the USA ones? The fake laces on everything really are unfortunate.

I actually like the white Russia jersey. It shows some creativity without being cluttered in my opinion.

a couple weeks into the season, I would say that Duchene has done more to earn a spot than anyone else (ignoring locks like Crosby and Toews)

According to a story in the Calgary Herald....

Johnson: Giordano’s solid early play has him back on the radar for Team Canada’s Olympic team

He may be a long-shot still, but underrated blueliner is giving Hockey Canada a reason to watch

A little early for that kind of story, but interesting to say the least.

There are quite a few guys ahead of Gio and Gio isn't exactly a gifted skater so he is at a disadvantage on the big ice.

I'd run:

Keith - Seabrook

JBo - Petro

Weber - Doughty

With Vlasic, Fowler, Beauchemin or Green as alternates.

Though I admit Subban will likely draw in because he's from Montreal and CBC loves him (he doesn't add anything over my top six to make up for his huge personality liability, selfishness on the ice and tendancy to take stupid penalties).

Anyway, just saying Gio has a lot of guys to outplay and I don't even think his scoring (his defensive play hasn't actually been very good at times) at this high pace will put him into consideration over the 10 I listed.

There are quite a few guys ahead of Gio and Gio isn't exactly a gifted skater so he is at a disadvantage on the big ice.

I'd run:

Keith - Seabrook

JBo - Petro

Weber - Doughty

Though I admit Subban will likely draw in because he's from Montreal and CBC loves him (he doesn't add anything over my top six to make up for his huge personality liability, selfishness on the ice and tendancy to take stupid penalties).

Anyway, just saying Gio has a lot of guys to outplay and I don't even think his scoring (his defensive play hasn't actually been very good at times) at this high pace will put him into consideration over the 10 I listed.

Agreed he has a tall order to make the squad.  His chances ride on how well the Flames are doing by the end of the year.  The amount of blocked shots he has will help his case.

I'd run:

Keith - Seabrook

JBo - Petro

Weber - Doughty

That is 1 heck of a top 6 on D.

The 1st 2 pairings are players familiar with each other too.

I'm not even sure who to take as alternates to supplement.

BTW, Cam Fowler has dual citizenship & played for Team USA in the 2010 WJC. He's committed to Team USA for the rest of his career.

BTW, Cam Fowler has dual citizenship & played for Team USA in the 2010 WJC. He's committed to Team USA for the rest of his career.

Thanks for that, you're right. Now I remember why he's always out of the Team Canada discussion. Too bad because having him and Beauchemin together as a third unit could be effective.

I'm nearly 100% sure that JBo makes this team. He's the ideal big ice d-man in the Olympics, absolutely ideal. And he and Petro work well together in St.L. I love the idea of having two top pairs that have NHL chemistry right from the get-go. 

I'm not even sure who to take as alternates to supplement.

Subban will be on the team because he's from Montreal and he's a media darling. But he shouldn't be, IMO. Hopefully he runs his mouth too much and spends the time in the press box though.

Thanks for that, you're right. Now I remember why he's always out of the Team Canada discussion. Too bad because having him and Beauchemin together as a third unit could be effective.

I'm nearly 100% sure that JBo makes this team. He's the ideal big ice d-man in the Olympics, absolutely ideal. And he and Petro work well together in St.L. I love the idea of having two top pairs that have NHL chemistry right from the get-go. 

Subban will be on the team because he's from Montreal and he's a media darling. But he shouldn't be, IMO. Hopefully he runs his mouth too much and spends the time in the press box though.

I dont think Yzerman will care about stuff like that. Subban will make the team if he deserves it and right now he does. He leads all D-men in points and is 7th overall in the league. With Boyle injured and Letang not playing yet, Team Canada will need an offensive minded D-man.  Grren is a minus 5 and isnt as physical as PK, so I think Subban would get the nod

I dont think Yzerman will care about stuff like that. Subban will make the team if he deserves it and right now he does. He leads all D-men in points and is 7th overall in the league. With Boyle injured and Letang not playing yet, Team Canada will need an offensive minded D-man.  Grren is a minus 5 and isnt as physical as PK, so I think Subban would get the nod

Yeah, I just feel that having a bad apple can really throw a team off. And if there is anyone on the likely roster that is a bad apple, it's Subban. I just don't take that risk if I'm Yzerman. Subban doesn't offer up enough extra to make up for his high risk play and his high risk attitude issues.

Subban makes the team though, I'm pretty sure of it.

Yeah, I just feel that having a bad apple can really throw a team off. And if there is anyone on the likely roster that is a bad apple, it's Subban. I just don't take that risk if I'm Yzerman. Subban doesn't offer up enough extra to make up for his high risk play and his high risk attitude issues.

Subban makes the team though, I'm pretty sure of it.

With Letang and Boyle playing again , it will be interesting to see what Yzerman does......  Im also curious to see what he does with Giroux... this guy was a virtual lock on the team before the season started but i know they werent overly happy that he didnt show up for the orientation camp during summer and he has been brutal so far this year

Im also curious to see what he does with Giroux... this guy was a virtual lock on the team before the season started but i know they werent overly happy that he didnt show up for the orientation camp during summer and he has been brutal so far this year

Re: Camp. You mean because of the hand injury? He was recieving medical care. You don't just change care providers that fast to attend off ice stuff.

Self rehab is like self medicating except the 2nd is more fun. :huh:

He's had a brutal year. Until he scored today it looked like he was worried he'd never score again. Hopefully that opened the dam & he'll be himself. 7 assists in 15 games had him gripping his stick so tight they probably had finger indentations.