The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

s4xon

Official Olympics 2014 Thread

Re: Camp. You mean because of the hand injury? He was recieving medical care. You don't just change care providers that fast to attend off ice stuff.

Self rehab is like self medicating except the 2nd is more fun. :huh:

He's had a brutal year. Until he scored today it looked like he was worried he'd never score again. Hopefully that opened the dam & he'll be himself. 7 assists in 15 games had him gripping his stick so tight they probably had finger indentations.

Im only going by what i was told from someone close to the situation......  They wanted everyone there for reasons and thought he could have made the 2 day trip.

So many guys are playing themselves into contention. Considering Stamkos's injury, if we went with the top 14 Canadian point producers today, we'd have a team of (lines my own suggestion):

Duchene - Crosby - Little

Moulson - Tavares - Marleau

Toews - Getzlaf - Perry

Ladd - M.Richards - Thornton

Extras: Couture/Turris

Not far behind are: Spezza, St. Louis, Seguin, Benn, Sharp, Hodgson, B.Richards,Dubinsky, Eberle

Struggling: Hall, Giroux, E.Kane

Notable: Cammalleri is a point per game right now.

--

Defense: Hard to pin any stats on this one.

--

Goalies:

Top Canadian Sv% Leaders: Josh Harding, James Reimer, Jonathan Bernier, Carey Price, Steve Mason

Top Canadian GAA Leadres: Josh Harding, MA Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Carey Price, Jonathan Bernier

Who do I do with today? Carey Price for sure. Then I'd go out on a limb and take Harding and Bernier. You can't really ignore Harding's performance to date, and it's a fair sample size. He's been fantastic. And he's overcome a tough ride the last couple of years to do it, I like his character.

It's getting a bit closer to choosing the Olympic team.

Here's my latest predictions,

Hall - Crosby - Tavares

E.Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Duchene - Thornton - Marleau

Toews - M.Richards - Seguin

x: St.Louis, Couture

Keith - Seabrook

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Subban - Weber

x: Doughty

Price

x: Luongo, Harding

Why not here is my Team Canada:

Kunitz-Crosby-Nash

Tavares-Stamkos-St.Louis

Sharp-Toews-Marleau

Couture-Getzlaf-Perry

*Bergeron-M.Richards

Keith-Seabrook

Weber-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

*Subban-Vlasic

Price

Luongo

*Fleury

Here goes:

Tavares-Crosby-Couture

Giroux-Stamkos-St.Louis

Sharp-Toews-Marleau

Benn-Getzlaf-Perry

*Bergeron-M.Richards

Keith-Seabrook

Weber-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

*Boyle-Vlasic

Luongo

Price

*Crawford

I put this line up together today, and wanted it to release it before they made the announcement. You know for bragging rights ;)

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos (pending healthy) --> I believe the fire power, creativity, and hockey IQ on this line willl out perform any other line out there. It will force the other teams to focus heavily on this line.

Duchene - Toews - Neal --> I like Duchene better than Sharp (which I swapped in and out quite a few times), his speed will be very effective on the big ice, and I think this could be a very balanced effective line.

Lucic - Getzlaf - Perry --> I'm sure I'll take heat for this (not fast enough, ect...), but after watching the world juniors we needed a line that would be a physical force to wear teams down and score some goals in the process. Probably against other teams weaker lines.

Benn - Bergeron - Seguin --> Bergeron & Seguin worked really well in Boston (reunite them), and Benn & Seguin compliment each other well in Dallas, and I think Bergeron has to be on this team for faceoffs.

I think that I would bring Marleau and Thornton as the extras, for leadership and they can pretty much play with anyone or anywhere.

Keith - Seabrook --> I believe most of the D is a no brainer much like these two

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo --> Same as above, both of these lines have great plus / minus, and are capable of big minutes in every situation

Giordano - Weber --> I think that Gio could be Webers new Suter, and they would be a dominant pairing, who could play a couple less minutes and be very effective in a shut down role against other teams top lines.

I have to bring Subban as the extra D-man (I had the hardest time with this, because I want to maintain Left and Right D position).

Goalies I feel I lack alot of experience in this area of expertise.

I believe it will be Luongos job to lose, and then Price, and then who knows, Smith, Fleury, ect...?

I would love to rebuttle and debate it so lets get it going, before the deicsion, is actually made :)

I put this line up together today, and wanted it to release it before they made the announcement. You know for bragging rights ;)

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos (pending healthy) --> I believe the fire power, creativity, and hockey IQ on this line willl out perform any other line out there. It will force the other teams to focus heavily on this line.

Duchene - Toews - Neal --> I like Duchene better than Sharp (which I swapped in and out quite a few times), his speed will be very effective on the big ice, and I think this could be a very balanced effective line.

Lucic - Getzlaf - Perry --> I'm sure I'll take heat for this (not fast enough, ect...), but after watching the world juniors we needed a line that would be a physical force to wear teams down and score some goals in the process. Probably against other teams weaker lines.

Benn - Bergeron - Seguin --> Bergeron & Seguin worked really well in Boston (reunite them), and Benn & Seguin compliment each other well in Dallas, and I think Bergeron has to be on this team for faceoffs.

I think that I would bring Marleau and Thornton as the extras, for leadership and they can pretty much play with anyone or anywhere.

Keith - Seabrook --> I believe most of the D is a no brainer much like these two

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo --> Same as above, both of these lines have great plus / minus, and are capable of big minutes in every situation

Giordano - Weber --> I think that Gio could be Webers new Suter, and they would be a dominant pairing, who could play a couple less minutes and be very effective in a shut down role against other teams top lines.

I have to bring Subban as the extra D-man (I had the hardest time with this, because I want to maintain Left and Right D position).

Goalies I feel I lack alot of experience in this area of expertise.

I believe it will be Luongos job to lose, and then Price, and then who knows, Smith, Fleury, ect...?

I would love to rebuttle and debate it so lets get it going, before the deicsion, is actually made :)

I think you have to bring Kunitz to play with Crosby..... people can say all they want how he gets his points because of Sid, but thats fine. Last Olympics ( apart from the gold medal goal ) Crosby had a hard time finding chemistry with anyone. They tried a number of linemates with him and it didnt work. Kunitz has proven chemistry so bring him along

No Doughty on the blue line ?  I think he is a lock.....

As for forwards, Sharp will be on the team IMO. He is one of the hottest players in the league right now , he plays a solid 2 way game and he is currently on a line with another Olympic lock in Toews.

Id also take Giroux and St Loius on the team before Benn and Neal. Giroux had a slow start but is back to playing good and St louis has speed/skill and determination that Stevey Y gets to see every night.

Kunitz - Crosby - Tavares

Stamkos - Giroux - St Louis

Sharp - Toews - Nash

Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry

Marleau - Couture

Keith - Weber

Jbo - Pietrangelo

Subban - Doughty

Vlasic - Seabrook

Price

Luongo

Smith

It's important to note that at the Olympics this year, you'll be dressing 22 players, not 20 like in the NHL. I'm not sure if Canada plans to run 13-7 or 12-8 but I'll assume they go 13-7.

Final guess/suggestion from me:

Duchene - Crosby - Benn 

St. Louis - Tavares - Stamkos

Marleau - Toews - Giroux

Hall - Getzlaf - Perry

Bergeron

* Thornton

(I'd drop Marleau myself and bring Marchand on the 4th line with Hall slotting into the third line)

Keith - Doughty

Jbo - AP

Giordano - Weber

Vlasic

* Subban (but prefer Seabrook)

Price, Luongo, Bernier

As we've seen with other teams (like omitting Hudler), it's not about the best players but the best players for a role.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440552

Hockey Canada has announced its 25-player men's roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

According to TSN:

Goaltenders: Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Mike Smith

Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Drew Doughty, Dan Hamhuis, Duncan Keith, Alex Pietrangelo, P.K. Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber

Forwards: Jamie Benn, Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Marleau, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews

Goalies: No argument from me.

Defence: Not a Hamhuis fan at all, would have preferred Boyle, Seabrook, or Giordano even if someone had to switch sides. I still have a bad feeling about Subban. I've just seen way too much hot dogging, celebrating, and dumb penalties over the years to want him on my Olympic team. I'd prefer character guys over energy guys.

Forwards: Really wanted to see Couture but I understand he'll be coming off injury. Giroux not there is a shocker to me. St. Louis I think would have been good to have as a vet that could set up the snipers, especially Stamkos if he makes it. I get the "Kunitz can play with Crosby" thing, but I don't care for it. I'm also surprised to see Carter there.

Hamhuis? Kunitz? No Giroux? No St. Louis?

Team is too slow on the big ice. Would have liked Hall, Giroux and other good skaters over Kunitz, etc. Good luck to us, but the Swedes + Russians have this in comparison when skating matters.

I'm not a fan of the Kunitz and Nash picks.  I also would've went with Giordano over Hamhuis. Overwise, this team looks good.

Team is too slow on the big ice. Would have liked Hall, Giroux and other good skaters over Kunitz, etc. Good luck to us, but the Swedes + Russians have this in comparison when skating matters.

I would've went with Hall over Kunitz.  Or maybe Staal over Kunitz because Staal and Crosby was so good together last time around.   ANYBODY but Kunitz.

Kunitz is a better skater than you giving him credit for. This is not slow at all, outside of Bergereon, Perry and Weber everyone on this team can fly. Kunitz is on pace to put up 43 goals this year not exactly anything to scoff at.

I would have liked Gio (Flames bias) over Hamhuis or even Seabrook, but with the way Detroit has struggled with all left handed defensemen this year I understand why Babcock was insistent on 4 LD and 4 RD. 

If anything the goaltending is what is going to let Canada down this year. All 3 have the ability to be great but they also have the ability to completely fall on their face and have shown the ability to let the bad goal in more often than you would like.

Well now that we know the team here are my line combos:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos

Tavares-Toews-Sharp

Benn-Getzlaf-Perry

Marleau-Duchene-Nash

Bergeron

*Carter

Keith-Weber

Vlasic-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Subban

*Hamhuis

Price

Luongo

*Smith

1st PP

Toews-Crosby-Stamkos

Keith-Weber

2nd PP

Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry

Pietrangelo-Subban

1st PK

Bergeron-Marleau

Keith-Weber

2nd PK

Toews-Sharp

Vlasic-Doughty

From hearing reactions on radio and reading online, it sounds like the biggest surprises in order are;

1. Jeff Carter

2. Rich Nash

3. Chris Kunitz

Biggest surprise snubs;

1. Martin St.Louis

2. Brent Seabrook

3. Claude Giroux

Just an aside re: the TC roster.

The original Hockey Canada release had Towes listed as playing for Winnipeg (NHL). Local radio station CJOB picked up on it & @ least 1 of our papers carried the pic of the roster.

If only. :)

79ed0c59d7dbfad3ef95ec2a6f3c03b5.png

It's really nice to hear.  According to Elliot Freidman, it came down to Hamhuis or Giordano and they went with Hamhuis.  So, not surprised if either one of the Left Hand shot guys go down, Giordano would be the first call-up.

Im hearing the first replacements are Giroux for center, Neal for sniper, Gio for LH defense and Fleury for goal. 

Sources?

The two picks for me I don't like we're carter and hamhuis. I would have like either giroux or St. Louis, for carter and Gio for hamhuis but the reality is hamhuis is unlikely to play IMO so it's hard to complain too much. I like the team and I don't think skating is going to be an issue. Their defence is extremely mobile and outside of a few forwards they have good speed up front. The Getzlaf/perry line will probably struggle the most with speed but the other lines look good.