The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

s4xon

Official Olympics 2014 Thread

Carter's PK definitely set him above.

Giroux is the biggest snub to me, but where do you put him?

Not in place of Carter, you don't want your PK lacking, at all.

Giroux is only a snub really until you try to slot him into a functional position on the team, then it all makes sense.

Giroux is only a snub really until you try to slot him into a functional position on the team, then it all makes sense.

His poor start hurt his chances.

Zz is probably right that he'd be 1 of the 1st replacements if Stamkos isn't recovered or another center/forward goes down.

Carter's PK definitely set him above.

Giroux is the biggest snub to me, but where do you put him?

Not in place of Carter, you don't want your PK lacking, at all.

I'm not saying this directly to you but overal but this train of thought is really both engine with hockey canada. You are talking about the best players in the world and they need to being some specifically for the pk? I just done believe that and think their pk would be just fine because you've got more then enough talent there. This is exactly the problem that hockey canada is in with the world juniors they overvalue certain players for certain roles and they end up not taking the best players.

Small deal because it's not like carter fits what I'm saying it's just something that is starting to bother me with hockey canada. Rant over

I'm not saying this directly to you but overal but this train of thought is really both engine with hockey canada. You are talking about the best players in the world and they need to being some specifically for the pk? I just done believe that and think their pk would be just fine because you've got more then enough talent there. This is exactly the problem that hockey canada is in with the world juniors they overvalue certain players for certain roles and they end up not taking the best players.

Small deal because it's not like carter fits what I'm saying it's just something that is starting to bother me with hockey canada. Rant over

Take this as you want but I'm still POed that Carter was traded out of Philly.

The guy is a scorer & dang good in any situation.

I don't think he cost Giroux a spot either. That would be Stamkos (the player he'll be counted on to replace if necessary).

As I've said before, I would have picked a different team but Stevie Y & company saw more of all players concerned then I have. If G is out & Carts in I'm fine with it.

Most players are there on their own merit. The only forward I don't view that way is Kunitz. If Crosby was injured prior to the tourney we can replace him but then who the heck do we play Kunitz with?

I don't think he cost Giroux a spot either. That would be Stamkos (the player he'll be counted on to replace if necessary).

As I've said before, I would have picked a different team but Stevie Y & company saw more of all players concerned then I have. If G is out & Carts in I'm fine with it.

Most players are there on their own merit. The only forward I don't view that way is Kunitz. If Crosby was injured prior to the tourney we can replace him but then who the heck do we play Kunitz with?

You can play Kunitz with Getzlaf and Perry. They played as a line when Anahiem won the cup.

I have nothing against carter, I like carter but I would prefer giroux or St. Louis over him. My rant was more about selection process and it's one I needed to get off my chest haha.

On the Czech front: Erat selected as Sobotka's replacement (ahead of Hudler and Vrbata) today.

Wow......and just because Huds and the Czech coach got into a little bit of a yelling match?  Crazy

St. Louis is Stamkos replacement on team Canada. Nice to see the guy get a chance now that we know Stamkos can't go.

Knowing the tear St. Louis went on after the snub, I bet he'll light it up. Probably Yzerman's plan all along  :ph34r:

Pretty excited to see Marty in for Stamkos. He should have been on that team all along. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he walked away MVP as well as scoring the "Golden Goal".

But really I still have a problem with Hamhuis over Gio, I know, homer glasses but still Gio should be wearing the Maple Leaf this time around!

Go Team Canada Go!

Interesting.  Sounds like a concussion but it might be a one week thing and he'll be good for the Olympics.

It's been targeted as a groin injury, not really sure how either location was mixed up, but I guess they are both located near the head...

In any case, I hope Hamhuis is out and...

d7c4a3a18a8e7d72102f27502c2c816b.png

Interesting.  Sounds like a concussion but it might be a one week thing and he'll be good for the Olympics.

when is the cutoff to put him on the final roster though? 1 Week may be too late

when is the cutoff to put him on the final roster though? 1 Week may be too late

If I remember correctly they literally have up to one hour prior to puck drop to finalize the roster. (Memory is foggy but I think I heard bob Mckenzie on this)

Also hope Gio is in over hamhuis also Gio played international ice for a year.... Just sayin lol

St. Louis replaces SS, no surprise and glad it happened.

And did I hear backs is in for Sweden with the now injured sedin?

If I remember correctly they literally have up to one hour prior to puck drop to finalize the roster. (Memory is foggy but I think I heard bob Mckenzie on this)

Also hope Gio is in over hamhuis also Gio played international ice for a year.... Just sayin lol

St. Louis replaces SS, no surprise and glad it happened.

And did I hear backs is in for Sweden with the now injured sedin?

There were rumours all day that Backlund was the replacement but they asked him after the game tonight and he hasn't heard from the Swedish team yet.

The Swed's will make the announcement this morning, who the replacement is, which I think means anytime now as it has to be morning there already.

4f828afbb22c08e32bd9a7cdf6c9d3a6.png

Marcus Johansson gets Henrik Sedin's spot.

That sucks for Backlund, I think given the chance? He would have impressed a lot of people in Sochi.

I wonder how many hockey players are actually injured but not saying anything about it just so they can play in the Olympics. 

Probably pretty close to the number of players who are injured during the Stanley Cup playoffs and don't mention it.