The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

s4xon

Official Olympics 2014 Thread

FREE BEER!!!

7d60d58891efb0b0a4488529c55f3e31.png

8bf5d68502a41794fd43f28b90de37ba.png

The real question, is how can I get one for my house, but have Canada pay for the perpetual stocking of it? :ph34r:

Zetterberg is out of the tournament with a herniated disc and he may need surgery as Sweden continues to suffer injuries. Does this signifcantly reduce their chances of winning the gold medal or are they deep enough? Bad news for the Wings for sure. 

And this is why i hate being in the uk and being a hockey fan, the BBC commentary is really poor, watching the sweden-switzerland game and they just said that Berra is Kipper's backup goalie... (anyone spot the fail there?) i've corrected them on the interwebs but my dear lord. *facepalms* if it wasn't for the fact that i love the game and wanted to see how Berra is doing in goal for switzerland i'd not watch. Really, i'm aware that the uk aren't renowned hockey lovers but they could at least get their facts straight! i'm ever verging on being offended by the commentary... and now sweden scored so i am offended! lol 

It's a shame Berra let in the weak one for the Swiss, as he played very well.

No zetterberg or henrik = without their 2 best players. Can they overcome the loss of their best playmaker and best intensity player?

I would be shocked if they can. Great backend, but those 2 are like us without Crosby and Toews. Mind you, I thought Getzlaf was superb yesterday.

And this is why i hate being in the uk and being a hockey fan, the BBC commentary is really poor, watching the sweden-switzerland game and they just said that Berra is Kipper's backup goalie... (anyone spot the fail there?) i've corrected them on the interwebs but my dear lord. *facepalms* if it wasn't for the fact that i love the game and wanted to see how Berra is doing in goal for switzerland i'd not watch. Really, i'm aware that the uk aren't renowned hockey lovers but they could at least get their facts straight! i'm ever verging on being offended by the commentary... and now sweden scored so i am offended! lol 

What sport did they take the announcers from, Darts? I have this distaste for one Brit announcer who tried to jump from Darts to Pool.... mind you he is with Star Sports...

On a side note look at it from a humorous point of view. Everyone had to learn and start somewhere and some announcers prefer to actually study and research before they would consider doing a new sport.

What sport did they take the announcers from, Darts? I have this distaste for one Brit announcer who tried to jump from Darts to Pool.... mind you he is with Star Sports...

On a side note look at it from a humorous point of view. Everyone had to learn and start somewhere and some announcers prefer to actually study and research before they would consider doing a new sport.

One of the announcers/commentators is british and the other is Canadian!!! (can tell by the accent) either way at least kipper got a mention... lol  

they showed the finland game earlier with no commentary which was much nicer. thoroughly enjoyed it. 

You do have to take these things with a pinch of salt though, just made me intensely angry when i heard it. laughing at them now. :) 

Here’s an interesting tidbit on Olympic Hockey.  I couldn’t help but notice Ilya Kovalchuk scoring goals particularly in the shoot outs vs USA and Slovakia.  I must say, he looks good!  He has 1 goal in regulation games and 3 goals in shoot outs so far in the tournament.  I got curious to see how he’s been playing in the KHL this year considering he walked away from a 100M contract with the NJ Devils last year.  Surprisingly he has only 40 pts in 44 games with St. Petersburg this year.  What I found even more surprising was that I came across another player in the KHL by the name of Nigel Dawes.  Most Flame fans would remember him, he played for the Flames in 09-10.  Mr. Dawes has 47 pts this year in the KHL, which is 7 pts more than Kovalchuk. 

Latvia beat Switzerland 3-1 today :blink:

Canada plays Latvia tomorrow at 10:00AM (Calgary time)

Wow what a close call with Latvia... sorta.  I felt Canada had enough chances to win this one 5-1 but with some fanned shots and great goaltending by the Latvian goalie (can't spell his name), it felt too close for comfort.

Wow what a close call with Latvia... sorta.  I felt Canada had enough chances to win this one 5-1 but with some fanned shots and great goaltending by the Latvian goalie (can't spell his name), it felt too close for comfort.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy about the final score.  I felt almost cheated with having such a stacked team, and having only 2 goals against an underdog team like Latvia.  But I'll give Latvia credit, you could see they wanted it.  They fought tooth and nail for their position in the tournament.

great goaltending by the Latvian goalie (can't spell his name)

Gudlevskis...   But it's easier just to call him lucky bastard...

What an impressive run Teemu Selanne has had in the Olympics...

4 medals...   a tie with only a few to accomplish that feat...

43 points total...   a record that puts him in the lead...

Congratz Teemu...   You earned it...

What an impressive run Teemu Selanne has had in the Olympics...

4 medals...   a tie with only a few to accomplish that feat...

43 points total...   a record that puts him in the lead...

Congratz Teemu...   You earned it...

Yes he did.

I was cheering for the USA but Teemu is still a Jet in the hearts of those that were here in his rookie season.

Yes he did.

I was cheering for the USA but Teemu is still a Jet in the hearts of those that were here in his rookie season.

Teemu is...   and always has been, a class act...