84 replies to this topic

#1 Kipper14

Kipper14

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

I figured might as well make a thread for people to discuss the Flames training camp this year which supposedly starts today.

#2 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • LocationInside enemy lines.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Only that there is an apparent 'organizational disease' spreading.  :P   Nothing else so far.

#3 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts
  • LocationNot So Far North

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Only that there is an apparent 'organizational disease' spreading.  :P   Nothing else so far.

Feaster famine?

#4 Redslinger

Redslinger

Unmoderator

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationDeep Deep South

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

This years training camp could prove to be one of the most interesting, well, ever.  I don't remember a year where there were so many positions potentially up for grabs.  Yes, I know there are still a lot of one-way contracts but I genuinly believe that if a young player outplays a vet in training camp that the young player will get the spot.  This is vastly different than what we've seen for at least a decade, if not more.

The "young" guys I anticipate will play themselves on the everyday roster are:  Baertschi, Horak, Bouma, Reinhart, Breen.  Monahan, Knight, Ramage, Ortio, Berra and Ferland will make a push, and may even see some regular season games (except the goalies) but I think they'll probably spend most of the year in Abbottsford.

Let the "Suck bad for Ekblad" campaign commence!

#5 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationFlames Nation

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

The battle in the crease is what has me intrigued this year.  Personally I think it will come down to MacDonald and Ramo, with Ramo getting the starters job.  I think Berra needs seasoning in the AHL if he will report there.  I believe he has a clause that lets him go back to Europe should he not make the team but i think his spot is in Abby.  If he wants to play in the NHL someday he almost has to play in NA.

#6 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

The roster has been announced.  They are starting in three pools.  It is always a fools errand to try and guess line ups based on which players in in which pool.  But I will do it anyway.  

A reasonable guess on lines for each pool follow.  The ones in bold are possible lines for the big club. 

POOL A

Glencross-Stajan-Stempniak

Hanowski-Horak-Nemisz

Bancks-Reinhart-Jackman

B. Jones

Brodie-Wideman

Smith-Kulak

McKelvie-Martin

Berra 

Ortio

POOL B

Cammalleri-Backlund-Jones

Ferland-Monahan-Gordon

Byron © - Knight - Begin ©

Eddy

Giordano-O'Brien

Kanzig-Wotherspoon

Sieloff-Lamb

Ramo

Brossoit

POOL C

Baertschi-Galiardi (LW) - Hudler (LW)

Elson-Granlund-Poirier

Bouma-Jooris-McGrattan

Olson, Street

Russell-Butler

Billens-Ramage

Cundari-Culkin

MacDonald

POSSIBLE NHL LINES

It looks like they tried to put one possible NHL forward line and one possible NHL D pairing in each group.  The potential lines:

Baertschi-Galliardi-Hudler

Bouma-Jooris-McGrattan

Jackman

Brodie-Wideman

Giordano-O'Brien

Russell-Butler

Smith

MacDonald

Ramo

The most interesting thing about this line up is Galliardi at C.  According to him he was asked to practice his face offs this summer leading to some speculation that the coaching is considering him at C.  Makes some sense if a kid like Horak, Monahan, Granlund or Knight doesn't make the team.  

THE HOPE FULLS

Regardless of how accurate (or more likely inaccurate) the above line projections are they would only be a starting point.  The kids are going to try and make the team.  Guys I think that have a reasonable chance to make the team out of the gate:

LW: Hanowski, Ferland

C: Horak, Monahan, Knight, Granlund

RW: None

D: Cundari, Billins

G: Ortio, Berra

The ones in bold I think are particularly close.  It is also possible someone else could work there way into the picture.  Especially on D.  

#7 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Ramo is the piece that's caught my attention.  I want to see some highlights of him between the pipes, on NA ice, in Flames threads. 

He's 27.  If he wins the starting job, and is able to compete at the NHL level on a consistent basis yearn in and year out, then the Flames have a tender that's able to carry the load for another 7-9 years.  If not, it's back to the drawing board and they go with Big Mac for the time being. 

Such a pivotal year for every position.  F, D, and G all have traffic coming and going, and in an Olympic year.  

It's exciting. 

#8 tmac70

tmac70

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

Other than net, the other intriguing issue will be the forwards. As Ketach bold out of the top 9 players, 6 do not fit the mold that Burke likes in players, and contrary Feaster was responsible in bringing in 50% of them.

Cammi, Backs, Baer, Stemps, Hudler, Stajan. From this group you have 4 third liners, with maybe potential solid 2nd line forwards, but none fit physical template they speak, of.

If the management group does stand by there mandate I wouldn't be surprized to see Baer and Backs moved for a player that fits the  requirements. I grow tired of empty threats from management of the past mottos of this team never being enforced. If they move out who is not performing early and set the standard than this rebuild could be way quicker than one thinks. It will change the culture and attitude immediately. If they do not we are going to be no different than our northern neighbours.

#9 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Other than net, the other intriguing issue will be the forwards. As Ketach bold out of the top 9 players, 6 do not fit the mold that Burke likes in players, and contrary Feaster was responsible in bringing in 50% of them.

Cammi, Backs, Baer, Stemps, Hudler, Stajan. From this group you have 4 third liners, with maybe potential solid 2nd line forwards, but none fit physical template they speak, of.

If the management group does stand by there mandate I wouldn't be surprized to see Baer and Backs moved for a player that fits the  requirements. I grow tired of empty threats from management of the past mottos of this team never being enforced. If they move out who is not performing early and set the standard than this rebuild could be way quicker than one thinks. It will change the culture and attitude immediately. If they do not we are going to be no different than our northern neighbours.

Its possible they move Baertschi and Backlund I guess.  But Burke didn't get rid of all of his skill guys.  I think it is more likely they try and supplement those players with guys like Ferland.  

One thing that might be interesting is that it is very possible we are going to have a youth movement out of camp.  There isn't a lot of room on the roster and we don't have an army of high end kids fighting for spots.  I think it might be in everyone's best interest to start with the bolded player and then bring on kids closer to the deadline as vets are traded.  

If a kid makes a real case in camp and the preseason then I think he will make it.  But I think spending some time developing in the AHL/CHL isn't a bad thing for most of them.  

#10 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationIggy-ville

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Its possible they move Baertschi and Backlund I guess.  But Burke didn't get rid of all of his skill guys.  I think it is more likely they try and supplement those players with guys like Ferland.  

One thing that might be interesting is that it is very possible we are going to have a youth movement out of camp.  There isn't a lot of room on the roster and we don't have an army of high end kids fighting for spots.  I think it might be in everyone's best interest to start with the bolded player and then bring on kids closer to the deadline as vets are traded.  

If a kid makes a real case in camp and the preseason then I think he will make it.  But I think spending some time developing in the AHL/CHL isn't a bad thing for most of them.  

Don't really think Baertschi and Backlund are in play; they would be selling low on both of them.

About your potential roster:

Baertschi-Galliardi-Hudler (Monahan for 9 games, McG and Jooris/Knight alternate time in the press box)

Bouma-Jooris-McGrattan (Knight and Jooris alternate at C, McG/Jackman in and out)

Jackman

Brodie-Wideman

Giordano-O'Brien

Russell-Butler (Cundari alternates in with either Russell or Butler coming out)

Smith (Kanzig and Seilof)

Ramo

Berra

MacDonald

Of course, a lot of this depends on camp and pre-season:

- Knight used mostly as a #4C; he seems suited for that type of toughness and skill

- Monahan in for 9 games only; I don't think it wise to keep him for the season unless he blows the doors off

- Jooris looks (so far) to be suited for the NHL; alternate him with Knight at C

- Cundari is a better fit than Butler; physical and skilled, he can take Butler's or Russell's place depending on who struggles

- Seilof and Kanzig are ideal for #7 D; they can suit up for games against the Sharks and Kings, etc; Smith, although I liked his game, can be replaced by these younger guys.

- Ramo starts 45 games, Berra starts 25 games, and JoMac has 12 games, and is sent to the Heat for stretches

Sure Seilof and Kanzig are getting early starts at the NHL level, but their number of games is tempered.  They can round out their season in the AHL.  Both of them offer something that is usefull - toughness and size.  Kanzig is too big to play on the Heat; he would have to fight every game.  At least in the NHL, he is there to give the coach an option over playing McG.  Seilof is someone I feel can elevate his game; he will be a solid defensive presence and will learn quickly. 

Of the guys not making it initially, I could see injury callups and post-TDL callups for these guys:

Wotherspoon

Reinhart

Horak

Ferlan

Granland

Hanowski

#11 Faron

Faron

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

^ Not to nit pick but Kanzig is not under contract.

#12 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'm not sold on Monahan starting with the big club.  Monahan hasn't been lights out amazing in his showings.  He has been solid thus far, and definitely one of the top 3 prospects in the system.  Another year of Jr.'s will do him wonders with the leadership role and a chance to elevate his stats from his last 2 seasons.  

He's drafted, therefore he's got no distractions on him.  He can focus his attention on his explosiveness, his overall skating ability, and offensive killer instinct.  He can also add more weight and get accustomed to using his large frame to his advantage.  Last season, he seemed to be pushed off the puck a little too easily.  Another year in the CHL will strengthen those areas.

In fact, I would suggest Granlund has a better shot as he's developed much further.   I'm not a fan of making predictions, but I believe he'll split his time between the AHL and the big club this season.

#13 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationIggy-ville

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

^ Not to nit pick but Kanzig is not under contract.

You are right.  I would like them to have inked him to an AHL contract.  I think it's a bit of a waste to have him play junior this year.

That said, Ramage is another option; maybe not for the size but for the experience and toughness.   

#14 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

You are right.  I would like them to have inked him to an AHL contract.  I think it's a bit of a waste to have him play junior this year.

That said, Ramage is another option; maybe not for the size but for the experience and toughness.   

I don't think they can.  The CHL transfer rules require him to play in the NHL or for the CHL club that drafted him.  

#15 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

K, so home sick all day and had nothing better I could do, so I was looking over all the official team sites and took notice of something odd:

Cgy has only 5 preseason games, all the other teams have between 6 and 8.

Question, is this good or bad?

On the one hand it allows for a ton more practice time.

On the other hand, more preseason games could be good experience for the young guys.

Thoughts?

#16 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts
  • LocationNot So Far North

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

K, so home sick all day and had nothing better I could do, so I was looking over all the official team sites and took notice of something odd:

Cgy has only 5 preseason games, all the other teams have between 6 and 8.

The Flames have 7 pre-season games...   The games with the Oilers and the Islanders are split squad...

784069f654053bcb4e749fc1aecc7188.png

#17 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Don't really think Baertschi and Backlund are in play; they would be selling low on both of them.

Agreed.  Not sure the Flames have a lot left to trade, except possibly Cammy.

I'm expecting big things from both of them.  If you play the odds, chance are one of them will break out this year.  And chances are one of them won't.

Murphy's law states that whichever one is traded will be the one that breaks out.

#18 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

I don't think they can. The CHL transfer rules require him to play in the NHL or for the CHL club that drafted him.

Correct, but more importantly he needs more developing before we think of the AHL let along the NHL as he is not very close. IMO Ramage and Wotherspoon are the only two prospect dman that have a realistic shot at pushing a vet for a spot.

#19 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationIggy-ville

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Correct, but more importantly he needs more developing before we think of the AHL let along the NHL as he is not very close. IMO Ramage and Wotherspoon are the only two prospect dman that have a realistic shot at pushing a vet for a spot.

Probably just wishfull thinking on my part more than his current skill level.  If Breen had a nasty streak in him (and was healthy), he might get the nod before any of them.

Both Wotherspoon and Ramage might get a shot, but for different reasons.  I see TSpoon as a JBow-type player; smooth skating, plays angles well, not overly nasty.  Ramage is more of a Gio-type shutdown, nasty, some offense player.  Seilof reminds me of a young -Regehr; solid checks, nasty edge.  Plaster-Hemsky-on-the-boards-type payer.  :unsure:

#20 andymo

andymo

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

I think Baertschi  and Backlund are both pretty safe. Backlund has come into camp looking more of a man than before and talking a good game. We have seen he is prepared to put it on the line (albeit with sometimes disastrous results!) but I am hoping he will really break out this season and I don't think he'll be a push-over. As for Baertschi, he's a 20 year-old kid with 25 games under his belt and he's no shrinking violet. He's still developing and I expect he'll be a very tough competitor  as he becomes more accustomed to the rigours of the NHL and becomes stronger. As part of a team I think they both fit the requirements just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users