58 replies to this topic

#1 FlamesFan227

FlamesFan227

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

First of all calgary needs to get our college free agents locked up but after that here are some players worth taking a good look at.

Colin Campbell, RW
Senior, Lake Superior State University (WCHA)

After missing much of his junior campaign last season due to injury, Campbell has bounced back and been an impact player this season. The Pickering, ON native ranks second on the team with 29 points (14 goals, 15 assists) in 36 games to date. His 14 goals and three game-winners both lead Lake Superior State. Campbell is a sturdy 6’1”, 203-pound power forward who is especially strong on the puck. One attribute that has gotten the attention of scouts is Campbell’s sheer strength. Simply put, he’s very difficult to move off of the puck. Campbell uses his powerful frame and tenacity advantageously along the walls and in front of the net, and is also very good cycling the puck. Many of Campbell’s goals aren’t of the pretty variety, but instead come as a result of hard work and relentless battles for loose pucks. He also uses his strength effectively in protecting the puck and maintaining possession. His strength, great play in tight areas and physicality allow him to excel in the muck-and-grind game.

Austin Czarnik, C
Junior, Miami University (NCHC)

The RedHawks captain currently leads his team with 43 points (11 goals, 32 assists) in 33 games. His 43 points eclipses his total from last season. Czarnik along with linemate Riley Barber continue to be the offensive catalysts for Miami. They have accounted for 31% of the team’s point production so far this season.

While Czarnik’s tremendous offensive prowess and hockey sense are well documented, it is other areas of his development that are notable here. The most significant is his added strength. Czarnik isn’t likely to win many physical battles, but what his increased strength has allowed him to do is win puck battles more consistently along the walls and corners. His added strength, along with his low center of gravity also enables him to move more effectively through traffic. Another area where Czarnik has progressed nicely is his commitment to the defensive side of the game. He’s become a better shot-blocker and uses his quickness and speed more effectively in taking away time and space as well as stripping pucks.

Ryan Haggerty, RW
Junior, Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute (ECAC)

The Stamford, CT native currently leads RPI with 43 points (28 goals, 15 assists) in 35 games to date. His 43 points exceeds his point total from last season, while his 28 goals are more than double his sophomore total. Haggerty’s 28 goals also rank third in the nation, while his 10 power-play goals is tied for fifth.

Haggerty is a 6’0”, 200-pound power forward who simply knows what to do with the puck when it’s on his stick, and it’s an attribute that has made scouts really take notice of Haggerty this season. He can score from just about anywhere, but is especially dangerous around the net. He uses his size, strength and tenacity very effectively in driving to the net and protecting the puck. He competes and isn’t afraid to go into the dirty areas. Haggerty has greatly improved his play along the walls, playing tougher and smarter in that area. He’s a powerful skater with some speed that does a very good job of keeping his feet moving.

Chris McCarthy, C
Senior, University of Vermont (Hockey East)

The Collegeville, PA native currently leads the Catamounts in both points (40) and assists (24) in 34 games to date. His 16 goals and +16 rating both rank second on the team. Most recently, McCarthy was named a semi-finalist for this year’s Walter Brown Award.

McCarthy is a 6’1”, 205-pound forward blessed with great hands and vision who thinks the game exceedingly well. An attribute that has really gotten the attention of scouts is his ability to play in any situation smartly and effectively. One of McCarthy’s greatest assets is his ability to anticipate and know where plays will end up, not only offensively but defensively as well. While McCarthy is a center, he has also seen time on the wing this season. Although McCarthy is known more for his superb playmaking ability, he can score goals as well. He does a terrific job of controlling the tempo of a game and makes the players around him better. McCarthy serves as Vermont’s captain, and his strong leadership has been invaluable to his team’s success this season.

Kenney Morrison, D
Sophomore, Western Michigan University (NCHC)

The Lloydminster, AB native has played in all 35 of the Broncos’ games to date, posting 18 points (three goals, 15 assists). Morrison logs upwards of 25 minutes per game playing in all situations. He has been especially good on Western Michigan’s power-play, where all of his goals so far have come. Morrison leads the Broncos with 75 penalty minutes and ranks fifth on the team with a +7 rating.

Morrison is an excellent skating, two-way defenseman who is blessed with size (6’2”, 205 lbs.) and great hands. He moves the puck exceedingly well and has greatly improved his decision-making while controlling it. But what has scouts clamoring to get glimpses of him is his pro-style shot. Morrison possesses one of the NCAA’s hardest shots and to say that he has a cannon of a slapshot might be an understatement. One notable attribute that Morrison has shown this season is his ability to employ different types of shots. This has resulted in increased shots on goal, and more importantly, accurate ones.

C.J. Motte, G
Junior, Ferris State University (WCHA)

The St. Clair, MI native sports a 24-7-3 record that includes three shutouts. His 24 wins currently lead the nation while his .750 winning percentage ranks seventh. Motte was named the National Player of the Month for December after posting a perfect 4-0-0 record during the month. He was also instrumental in backstopping Ferris State to a 16-game unbeaten streak (14-0-2) earlier in the season and has the Bulldogs poised to make a return trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Motte is a 6’0”, 190-pound goaltender who has demonstrated that he can win games and make key saves at crucial times. Two areas that have contributed significantly to Motte’s success this season has been his maturity and greater attention to the finer details of playing his position. He plays with greater focus and commitment, and is playing with greater confidence, composure, and consistency. Motte possesses great athleticism and doesn’t expend a lot of energy in his movements. He is an adept puck-handler and possesses a great glove. Motte’s improved positioning allows him to not only control rebounds better, but also limit second and third chances.

Ahti Oksanen, D
Sophomore, Boston University (Hockey East)

The Kirkkonummi, Finland native currently ranks second on the team with 24 points (seven goals, 17 assists) in 35 games to date. His four power-play goals lead the Terriers, while his 17 assists co-lead the team. Oksanen, who has played much of the season as senior Garrett Noonan’s (NSH) defensive partner, logs upwards of 20-25 minutes of ice time per game playing in all situations. He is as effective on the penalty kill as he is on the power-play.

Oksanen is an excellent skating, two-way defenseman with size (6’3”, 207 lbs.) who possesses excellent puck-moving ability and has improved his decision-making with the puck. He shows good poise and patience with the puck and can make crisp, tape-to-tape passes. He can also quarterback the power-play quite well, too.

Bryce Van Brabant, LW
Junior, Quinnipiac University (ECAC)

The Morinville, AB native has posted 20 points (14 goals, six assists) in 36 games to date for the Bobcats. Where Van Brabant has been especially dangerous this season has been on Quinnipiac’s power-play. Of his 14 goals, nine have come with the man advantage, which ties him for the most on the team. Furthermore, his 14 goals are nearly triple his total from last season.

Van Brabant is a 6’3”, 205-pound power forward who thrives in the physical side of the game. He currently leads the nation with 105 penalty minutes. While he has established himself as one of the NCAA’s toughest players, he uses his size and strength very effectively in other areas, as well. Van Brabant’s strong frame and tenacity on the puck makes him difficult to move off of the puck, which is evident in his play in front of the net.

Trevor van Riemsdyk, D
Junior, University of New Hampshire (Hockey East)

After a stellar, All-American sophomore campaign last year, Trevor van Riemsdyk has built on that success this season. He is once again one of the most coveted collegiate free agents available. However, it is unclear just how hard NHL teams will pursue van Riemsdyk at the end of the season or if he’ll actually turn pro following a horrific ankle injury he suffered on January 18th versus Union College that has since kept him out of New Hampshire’s lineup.

Despite missing the Wildcats’ last 10 games, van Riemsdyk still ranks among the team’s top scorers. In 26 games to date, he has posted 23 points (four goals, 19 assists). His 23 points currently tie him for second among New Hampshire’s defensemen. Van Riemsdyk, who logs upwards of 20-25 minutes per game, is also one of the NCAA’s least penalized rearguards, having racked up just 10 penalty minutes so far.

Other notables

Justin Baker, D – senior, St. Lawrence University (ECAC)
Kevin Czuczman, D – junior, Lake Superior State University (WCHA)
Jake Chelios, D – senior, Michigan State University (Big Ten)
Christian Folin, D – sophomore, UMass-Lowell (Hockey East)
Alex Krushelnyski, LW – senior, Colorado College (NCHC)
Mike Szmatula, C – freshman, Northeastern University (Hockey East)
Braden Pimm, C/RW – senior, Northeastern University (Hockey East)
Joel Rumpel, G – junior, University of Wisconsin (Big Ten)

Hopefully calgary can land a couple of these guys and speed up our rebuild. GO FLAMES GO

#2 joeyabs

joeyabs

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Van Brabent was at the Flames development camp and didn't look great.  I think their talents are overstated in the above write-ups for the most part.  Having said that I wouldn't be opposed to taking a gamble on a RW'er, maybe Haggerty..

#3 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts
  • LocationInside enemy lines.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Haggerty has already been signed by the NYR. 

http://espn.go.com/b...rs-from-college

#4 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,298 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

How many contracts are the Flames at right now?  49?  Can we sign anymore of these guys?

#5 robrob1974

robrob1974

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationVancouver :(

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

If they're at 49, they may just wait to sign Gaudreau.

#6 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

How many contracts are the Flames at right now?  49?  Can we sign anymore of these guys?

As far as I know, they are at 42, with possible sliding contracts from Klimchuk, Kanzig, and Kulak.  Maybe even Poirier if he goes back to the CHL as an over-ager. Also with MacDermid packing it in.

47 if you don't count them.  They also show SOB as buried...don't know why.

http://www.capgeek.com/flames

#7 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Haggerty has already been signed by the NYR. 

http://espn.go.com/b...rs-from-college

We always seem to miss out on the college free agents.  frustrating, even if they are overrated.

#8 joeyabs

joeyabs

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

We need to save a spot for Wolf

#9 xmiika

xmiika

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Van Brabant it is. Two year entry level deal.

http://flames.nhl.co...s.htm?id=711849

#10 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Van Brabent was at the Flames development camp and didn't look great.  I think their talents are overstated in the above write-ups for the most part.  Having said that I wouldn't be opposed to taking a gamble on a RW'er, maybe Haggerty..

Van Brabant it is. Two year entry level deal.

http://flames.nhl.co...s.htm?id=711849

sigh.....we always get the leftovers.

I mean, welcome to Calgary, Van Brabant!!

#11 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,265 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Actually out of the invites van Brabant was one I liked. Big guy, not the fastest skater but is very physical and gritty but flashes some ability to create as well so he wasn't just that north-south bruiser type. Decent signing IMO.

I remember too he stuck around and did a face off drill with knight and Monahan and held his own. Not sure if he has played much centre but he's got some ability on face offs.

#12 tmac70

tmac70

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Not to be a downer just heard from a buddy of mine who plays for UND. Word at the Frozen 4 is Johnny Hockey is not wanting to sign with Calgary and a trade is being worked on. 

#13 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

Not to be a downer just heard from a buddy of mine who plays for UND. Word at the Frozen 4 is Johnny Hockey is not wanting to sign with Calgary and a trade is being worked on. 

No worries, we've got "Van Babrant"

Way taller!

(your rumour is believable and doesn't surprise me one bit tmac....Burke hasn't even attempted to make room for him.  Now, if Burke gets us a good trade...then that's all okay.   The Good news you gave us, is that they're working on a trade early in the game. )

#14 tmac70

tmac70

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Really as you and I both know we need guys that have the possibility of filling a top 6 role especially as a goal scorer. What is the value for the rights to a yet proven prospect. Word is he wants Boston, or a club in the NY area. That limits the possibilities for a trade now doesn't it. 

I really hope that what my buddy is hearing is BS, but he was the one how told me about Knight not signing with Florida months before it happened.

Way taller!

(your rumour is believable and doesn't surprise me one bit tmac....Burke hasn't even attempted to make room for him.  Now, if Burke gets us a good trade...then that's all okay.   The Good news you gave us, is that they're working on a trade early in the game. )

#15 RedMileHero

RedMileHero

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationC-town, Alberta

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Really as you and I both know we need guys that have the possibility of filling a top 6 role especially as a goal scorer. What is the value for the rights to a yet proven prospect. Word is he wants Boston, or a club in the NY area. That limits the possibilities for a trade now doesn't it. 

I really hope that what my buddy is hearing is BS, but he was the one how told me about Knight not signing with Florida months before it happened.

Maybe its an April fools joke come early!  :)

#16 tmac70

tmac70

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Well if it is and when my buddy gets back from college I am going to beat the living Sh&$ out of him LMAO

Maybe its an April fools joke come early!  :)

#17 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

It could be bull, but for now it is believe-a-bull.

I guess it comes down to what "boston area" means.

Personally, I think that might be okay, because he'd be crazy to try and crack the Bruins lineup.  Even if he did, very limited ice time.

There's a few teams in that "area"...lol.....

Maybe another Islanders deal???  ;)

#18 FlamesFan227

FlamesFan227

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

I've heard some different things. I had a source tell me that he couldn't wait to be a flame with bill Arnold. The recent news is that his mom wants him to finish school which isn't an unusual request and that might be the direction he wants to go. That does seem scary but I wouldn't be yet. Until he says I will not be a calgary flame I will believe he will sign.

#19 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

Way taller!

(your rumour is believable and doesn't surprise me one bit tmac....Burke hasn't even attempted to make room for him. Now, if Burke gets us a good trade...then that's all okay. The Good news you gave us, is that they're working on a trade early in the game. )

Make room. On the Flames. Sheesh.

Good think Burke didn't go out and "make room" for him if the rumour is true and he decides he wants to play closer to home.

As far as the signing, Van Babrant is a decent player. He might not have superstar potential, but he is a big guy that can play hockey and has somr NHL potential.

#20 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

I'll wait to see if the kid signs once BC gets knocked out of contention.  This whole 'he said Johnny said, my buddy said he heard a guy say that Johnny said, etc etc doesn't really fly with me.  I'm glad your friend had a little insight on Knight, but everything from legit sources is saying that Gaudreau is on the fence of what to do and remains tight lipped about it. 

JG could have also been stating that playing in western Canada isn't his preference, but that doesn't mean he's going to jump ship.  He has friends and team mates he knows will be with the Flames, and a little familiarity goes a long way when going pro.  He's attended all the Flames camps on his own dime since being drafted as well. 

In all his interviews, he's thanked the Flames for taking a chance on him, he's had nothing to say but great things about the org, etc.  Not only that, but I'll take the word of Al Morganty, a legit source who is very close to the Family (presumably moreso than your bud in college) and has put his rep on the line twice on live radio stating to expect him to sign at the end of the season.

We just have to wait and see.  Waiting sucks, but getting worked up over rumors of him wanting to sign with Calgary, not wanting to sign with Calgary, sucks even more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users