The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

manu11

2014 World Championship In Belarus

Today is the start of the tournament and there are quite a few Flame players paticipating.

Backlund for Sweden, Hudler for Czech Republic, Gaudreau for Team US, Monahan for Canada and Baertschi for Switzerland.

I'm also looking forward to seeing young talented players like MacKinnon, Seth Jones, etc.

I watched Germany's last test against the United States on Tuesday and was quite impressed with Johnny Hockey who scored the second goal in a 3-1 win. He will not win a lot of board battles, but his skill is tremendous. I was also impressed in the way he can avoid checks with his quickness.

Right now Russia is leading 3-0 against Switzerland and Canada equalized the game against France 1-1 thanks to a powerplay goal by Brayden Schenn.

We lost to France?

France?

Really?

France?

All of those kids playing shinny on the frozen Seine will be so happy.

Does this mean we're about to be competitive at football (real football)?

Not to be all presumptuous, but yeah...

Damn! So thats the reason he only played 7 minutes, the kid has no luck as far as WC tournaments goes.

Missed quite a few games thanks to work <_<. Backlund scored 2 goals in his first game and Hudler had an assist in his game against Slovakia.

Watched the first game of the US Team against Belarus. Very strong performance from Gaudreau. Got a goal and 2 assists and showed pretty good vision with the man advantage. His goal came after a turnover on the blueline and he fired a rocket in the right top corner.

I think Trouba could become the next Weber if he continues to develop. His playing style is pretty similar.

My Germans had a really good start and should've avoid the elimination with the first two victories.

Very interesting game going on right now, the Czech Republic is leading 2-1 after the first period. Hertl scored the first goal and Oscar Moller tied it on a rebound by a Backlund shot. With less then a minute left in the period Hudler scored a powerplay goal to make it 2-1.

Very entertaining game. After the Czechs got a 3-1 lead, Sweden came back to tie it with 2 powerplay goals. Moller scored from the blueline (maybe Backs deflected that shot, didn't see the replay) and assisted on the tying goal giving him a 3 point night.

In Overtime Backs made a great powermove through a defender and drived hard to the net going around the goalie and shooting with the backhand, but Salak stopped it with a great pad save. He made a nice move in the shootout and had bad luck hitting the post, but Sweden managed to win the game 4-3.

That was really an unnecessary loss. They had the lead after the second period and looked pretty solid. Then Scrivens let in a rather harmless shot for the tying goal and Myers made a brutal giveaway with just 2 minutes left that cost them the game.