The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
DirtyDeeds

The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I've always been a skeptic on providing significant direct funding for an arena, and I get the city needs to cut somewhere.  But does anyone really think the flames weren't smart enough to work in significant financial penalties should the city back out?  I could easily see the city coughing up 100 million to get out of the deal with nothing to show for it, which ought to be followed by the resignation of every councilor who voted for the deal and then voted to terminate it.

We've agreed to this, and for better or worse, we're stuck with it.

1 minute ago, ABC923 said:

I've always been a skeptic on providing significant direct funding for an arena, and I get the city needs to cut somewhere.  But does anyone really think the flames weren't smart enough to work in significant financial penalties should the city back out?  I could easily see the city coughing up 100 million to get out of the deal with nothing to show for it, which ought to be followed by the resignation of every councilor who voted for the deal and then voted to terminate it.

We've agreed to this, and for better or worse, we're stuck with it.

Just read that no deal is actually finalized yet, so maybe there would be no significant penalties.  Either way though, agreements should be honored, even if the province won't honor theirs.  Besides, wasn't the city's share supposed to be paid for through additional tax shares and the like? It's not like you can just transfer the allotted budget from one project to another.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

As soon as Kenney announced budget cuts last month, I immediately thought about the new arena.  Not surprised a councillor is suggesting we use the money elsewhere now.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

As soon as Kenney announced budget cuts last month, I immediately thought about the new arena.  Not surprised a councillor is suggesting we use the money elsewhere now.

Just to add a bit...

The two council people were against it orinigally.

For this to pass, it requires a "super" majority of 10 votes for.

This is obviously a move to distance themselves from unpopular spending.

After all, the next election in 2020.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And with that the city councillors have their scapegoats to re-election.  Can't wait for all these incompetent councillors to spend the next 2 years blaming the province for not covering all their mishaps.  I do want the arena and the green line, but the only thing I would use the green line for is to go to the arena, so It'd be moot as there would be no games to go to if the city backed out now.  The GL has just been a complete disaster from the start and the city can only blame themselves for that.

16 hours ago, sak22 said:

And with that the city councillors have their scapegoats to re-election.  Can't wait for all these incompetent councillors to spend the next 2 years blaming the province for not covering all their mishaps.  I do want the arena and the green line, but the only thing I would use the green line for is to go to the arena, so It'd be moot as there would be no games to go to if the city backed out now.  The GL has just been a complete disaster from the start and the city can only blame themselves for that.

Incompetent councillors? Have you looked to Edmonton lately?  

Given the Kenney cuts, this deal has to be cancelled. This is an era of austerity.

While there is no deal it does sounds like there are letters of understanding so there could be a legal element to this. Will be interested to see/hear more from. 

but I mean in the era of cuts I think it's perfectly reasonable to question cutting such a large cheque for a mostly private endeavor. I don't like the rationale of simply putting it towards the Green Line because I think that project has been very mismanaged, but the idea behind what they are doing is fair. 

8 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Incompetent councillors? Have you looked to Edmonton lately?  

Given the Kenney cuts, this deal has to be cancelled. This is an era of austerity.

Don't care about Edmonton, have been disappointed with certain people who continue to get elected term after term in Calgary many dating back to Bronconnier.  Using Edmonton is like using Trump to talk up Trudeau.  

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Don't care about Edmonton, have been disappointed with certain people who continue to get elected term after term in Calgary many dating back to Bronconnier.  Using Edmonton is like using Trump to talk up Trudeau.  

Sorry, I meant the Legislature.

25 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Sorry, I meant the Legislature.

Lol, yes makes sense, I just hold the city more accountable for the GL

When I look back at my favourite memories in hockey, or in life, or when I think of my biggest hopes for the Flames as a fan, or my own future kids and how they might learn to love the game of hockey,

At no point in any of those thoughts does a new NHL arena become relevant.

43 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Does that mean the Arena is still ago sorry im confused

Re-affirnmed means the "deal" is still in place.

Nothing is different than it was before the motion.