The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JTech780

Adirondack Flames Updates [2014-15]

12/11/2014 Michael Ferland (LW) Adirondack ADD Returned on loan from Calgary (NHL)

As expected, Joe Colborne coming off IR & one of the earlier call-ups is returned to Adirondack.

Michael Ferland definitely looks like he will be part of the Calgary Flames organization going forward.

Mikael Backlund is the remaining regular left to come off IR in Calgary, however it won't be in the immediate future.

When he does return we can expect another player to return to Glens Falls although it won't be so obvious as to who it is.

Granlund is a possibility but perhaps the Flames may look at the demotion of a veteran via waivers or possibly a trade.

Michael Ferland rejoins Adirondack Flames - poststar.com

Joe Colborne activated from injured reserve; Michael Ferland sent to Adirondack - matchsticksandgasoline.com

Adirondack Flames (15-10-1-0) vs Milwaukee Admirals (12-8-0-3) @ 7:00 PM MST [Fri, Dec 12, 2014]

Listen Live (For the addicts)
Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

Adirondack on the road for 4 games.

First up is the Milwaukee Admirals who may be ripe for the picking as they are on a 6 game winless streak.

Michael Ferland back in the fold & Tyler Spurgeon released from his PTO.

Some in Calgary believe that the return of players off IR has possibly upset the team chemistry causing their 3 consecutive losses. It remains to be seen if this will happen with Adirondack but the recent 3-1 record in the last 7 days suggests otherwise.

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ ADMIRALS - adirondackflames.com

CHRONICLE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: TYLER WOTHERSPOON - adirondackflames.com

Treliving using patience with AHL blueliners - calgaryherald.com

12/12/2014 Tyler Spurgeon [C] Adirondack DEL Released from PTO - theahl.com 7737

Adirondack Flames 3 (16-10-1-0) vs Milwaukee Admirals 1 (12-9-0-3)

2. ADK Hanowski, (11) (Culkin, Cundari), 9:24 (PP)

2. MIL Pendenza, (4) (Grant, Girard), 18:29

3. ADK Elson, (3) (Potter, Ferland), 2:25

3. ADK Elson, (4) , 17:57

Boxscore         Admirals vs Adirondack Full Game Melt - milwaukeeadmirals.com (YouTube)

After a bad stretch of games going 1-4 following a 9 game win streak, the Flames are now 3 wins into another streak.

Tonight's heroes were Turner Elson with 2 goals & Joni Ortio with another win.

A chance to extend the win streak occurs on Sunday afternoon against the last place Iowa Wild.

We are keeping pace with the division/conference leading Utica Comets only 5 pts behind.

FLAMES SHIPWRECK ADMIRALS WITH 3-1 VICTORY - adirondackflames.com

Seven Isn't Lucky for the Admirals - milwaukeeadmirals.com

Adirondack Flames win third straight - poststar.com

Flames 3, Admirals 1 - Admirals' seventh straight loss makes record start a distant memory - jsonline.com

Adirondack Flames release Tyler Spurgeon - poststar.com  7792

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats

Adirondack Flames (16-10-1-0) vs Iowa Wild (7-16-1-1) @ 2:00 PM MST [sun, Dec 14, 2014]

Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

Today's opponent is the Minnesota Wild's affiliate in Des Moines, the last place (Western Conference & AHL) Iowa WIld.

The Flames are playiing the 2nd game of a 4 game road trip & are currently riding a 3 game win streak.

Missing will be Corey Potter as he was promoted to the Calgary Flames to replace the injured Ladislav Smid.

GAME PREVIEW - ADIRONDACK FLAMES AT IOWA WILD 12.14.14 - iowawild.com

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ WILD - adirondackflames.com

12/13/2014 Corey Potter (D) Adirondack DEL Recalled from loan by Calgary (NHL) - theahl.com

CALGARY FLAMES RECALL COREY POTTER - adirondackflames.com

Corey Potter Not Tyler Wotherspoon Recalled By Flames - flameforthought.com

Playing with Diabetes: Taylor Vause makes adjustments to keep career on track - poststar.com  7941

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats

Adirondack Flames 2 (17-10-1-0) vs Iowa Wild  1 (7-17-1-1)

1. ADK Arnold, (6) (Ramage, Poirier), 3:30

3. IA Veilleux, (2) (Dumba, Sutter), 0:32

3. ADK Poirier, (6) (Acolatse), 15:48

Boxscore          Adirondack Flames (2) at Iowa Wild (1) 12.14.14   - IWild TV (YouTube)

Emile Poirier with a late 3rd period go-ahead goal to compliment an earlier assist extends the win streak to 4 games.

Brad Thiessen with the win on a  26/27 save performance. Adirondack now 4 pts behind the idle Utica Comets.

A Lady Byng worthy game with 2 minutes total in penalties. None by the Flames which is slightly out of character.

Next road game early Wednesday afternoon against the Chicago Wolves (St Louis Blues).

FLAMES ANSWER THE CALL OF THE WILD WITH 2-1 WIN - adirondackflames.com  8015

FLAMES BURN WILD LATE, WIN 2-1 - iowawild.com

Iowa Wild Postgame 12.14.14  - IWild TV (YouTube)

Poirier's goal lifts Flames to another road win - poststar.com

ADIRONDACK FLAMES WEEKLY REVIEW - adirondackflames.com

Flames notes: Erixon trade a blessing in disguise - calgaryherald.com

Adirondack Report: 15.12.14  - Calgary Flames Future Watch - flames.nhl.com
Glens Falls providing Flames with plenty of support - Calgary Flames Future Watch - flames.nhl.com
Prospect Of The Week: Turner Elson - Calgary Flames Future Watch - flames.nhl.com

A standings projection similar to the one I do for Calgary now & again.

If anything is unclear, feel free to inquire here or in PM.

I am only posting the Western Conference. I also have the East if you want to see it.

Currently 2nd ranked of the 5 projected wild cards & 5th Seed in the West, Adirondack is well positioned for a playoff berth.

2014-15AHLPlayoffProjection2014-12-14_zp.

Calgary Flames Future Watch - calgaryflames.com :)
(Coverage of all the Flames prospects in the AHL-ECHL- CHL-College-Europe 8112

Just wanted to say, Pyro, that these updates are much appreciated. I know not much posting goes on in here, but there are a lot of us that rely on such updates as this from you.

Thanks! :)

Just wanted to say, Pyro, that these updates are much appreciated. I know not much posting goes on in here, but there are a lot of us that rely on such updates as this from you.

Thanks! :)

Agreed. Its nice to be able to come in and see whats happening with the team at a glance and all in one place. 

Adirondack Flames (17-10-1-0) vs Chicago Wolves (14-9-3-0) @ 10:00 AM MST [Wed, Dec 17, 2014]

Game 3 of the 4 game road trip continues against the Chicago Wolves (STL) with an extremely early start.

Sven Baertschi meets his old linemate from the Portland Winterhawks, Ty Rattie. A red hot Ortio gets the nod.

Brodie Reid has been released from his PTO which is likely a result of too many forwards on the team.

FLAMES-WOLVES PREVIEW - adirondackflames.com

Tale of the Tape: Dec. 17 - chicagowolves.com

Flames looking for fifth straight victory - poststar.com

12/16/2014 Brodie Reid (RW) Adirondack DEL Released from PTO   8281

Adirondack Flames (18-10-1-0) 4 vs Chicago Wolves 1 (14-10-3-0)

1. ADK Hathaway, (6) (Culkin, Baertschi), 16:32 (PP)

3. ADK Poirier, (7) , 4:24

3. CHI Fraser, (5) (Bordson, Hakanpaa), 5:21

3. ADK Cundari, (2) (Culkin, Baertschi), 9:25 (PP)

3. ADK Poirier, (8) (Wotherspoon, Cundari), 16:50 (PP)

Boxscore          Game Highlights Dec. 17 Chicago Wolves vs. Adirondack Flames - Chicago Wolves [YouTube]

Five consecutive wins & perfect so far on the 4 game road trip. What a change from the 1-5-1 season start!

Emile Poirier with 2 goals, one worthy of a highlight reel. Mark Cundari with a goal & an assist.

Sven Baertschi & Ryan Culkin with 2 helpers each. Ortio with the win on a 30/31 save performance.

Adirondack now only 2 points behind the North Division leading Utica Comets.

Two games remaining before the Christmas break; Friday in Rochester vs the Americans & Saturday in Glens Falls vs the Utica Comets. A Flame's win & a Comet's loss on Friday could set up a battle for 1st place Saturday night.

The 2 teams will also have a rematch in Utica on Boxing Day after the break.

FLAMES BLOW AWAY WOLVES IN THE WINDY CITY - adirondackflames.com
Wolves tamed by Flames, 4-1 - chicagowolves.com

Numerology: Ryan Culkin - Calgary Flames Future Watch - flames.nhl.com

The game was played in front of 13,690 fans at Allstate Arena at 11:00 AM CST. Don't these people work. Don't I work....

Man am I glad Baertschi is on this team right now, what a joke of a call-up that was for him.

I'm looking forward to seeing Poirier on the Flames sooner or later.

Garnet Hathaway - Mathieu Tousignant - Bryce Van Brabant
Sven Baertschi - Bill Arnold - Emile Poirier

David Wolf - Max Reinhart - Ben Hanowski
Michael Ferland - Turner Elson - Ken Agostino

Nolan Yonkman - Tim Wotherspoon
Patrick Sieloff - Ryan Culkin
Mark Cundari - John Ramage

Joni Ortio - Brad Thiessen (Backup)

Scratches: Sena Acolaste -  Trevor Gillies - Corban Knight (Broken Thumb) - Devin Setoguchi - Dustin Stevenson - Taylor Vause 8374

Garnet Hathaway - Mathieu Tousignant - Bryce Van Brabant

Sven Baertschi - Bill Arnold - Emile Poirier

David Wolf - Max Reinhart - Ben Hanowski

Michael Ferland - Turner Elson - Ken Agostino

Nolan Yonkman - Tim Wotherspoon

Patrick Sieloff - Ryan Culkin

Mark Cundari - John Ramage

Joni Ortio - Brad Thiessen (Backup)

Scratches: Sena Acolaste -  Trevor Gillies - Corban Knight (Broken Thumb) - Devin Setoguchi - Dustin Stevenson - Taylor Vause 8374

Thanks for that Pyro.

Interesting that Setoguchi can't even stay in an AHL lineup, I would say his time in the NHL is basically done.

Hathaway and Hanowski are both guys that are surprising me a bit with their production. I don't see either as NHL players because of various issues. But I didn't see Jooris as one either so who knows.

Hathaway and Hanowski are both guys that are surprising me a bit with their production. I don't see either as NHL players because of various issues. But I didn't see Jooris as one either so who knows.

I think Hanowski can play. He's gotten fitter and faster since his first call-up, and he's a steady producer.

I think Hanowski can play. He's gotten fitter and faster since his first call-up, and he's a steady producer.

I hope so. I haven't seen it. His skating isn't NHL level based on what I have seen and I don't think his production carries over to the NHL. But if it does all the better for us.

Man am I glad Baertschi is on this team right now, what a joke of a call-up that was for him.

I'm looking forward to seeing Poirier on the Flames sooner or later.

Wrek, what was the "joke" about his call-up?

Oilers announce end to affliation with AHL's Barons at season's end - tsn.ca

Excerpt - The AHL is currently working on forming a Western Division to accommodate the NHL's California-based clubs and teams in Western Canada, who have been pushing for a western wing for a number of years. AHL President Dave Andrews said that the league isn't prepared to announce a new division, as a lot more work remains to be done.  

Reports indicate the Calgary Flames also have interest in relocating their AHL team from Glen Falls, New York while the Winnipeg Jets have one more year remaining on their agreement in St John's, Newfoundland, which the Jets intend to honour.

Vancouver Canucks sources told Dreger that they have no plans to pull out of Utica, New York at this time.

Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona and potentially Colorado would make up the American component of the new division, with Edmonton, Calgary, and in the future, Winnipeg and Vancouver also involved. While details are still being worked out, the launch of the division in 2015 may only include the AHL franchises of Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary and Edmonton.

I would sure like to peruse these so-called reports.

What is the timeline on this new division? Based on this article, it looks like only a year.

Flames announce Adirondack Flames as AHL affiliate - flames.nhl.com

Excerpt - “The Calgary Flames are dedicated to developing players in the American Hockey League, and are excited at the prospect of moving to a mature hockey market like Glens Falls that deserves to remain an AHL market,” noted Calgary Flames General Manager Brad Treliving. “The history and tradition of the Flames franchise goes back to the team’s birth as the Atlanta Flames and we are proud to also pay tribute to our history with the introduction of a new version of the flaming “A” here in Adirondack. We look forward to building on Glens Falls’ rich hockey history.”

I find the lack of stability for farm teams somewhat disturbing. What is the motivation? Is it finding the best possible location to nurture the prospects or is it all about the money? The fans of these teams support & grow emotionally attached to their hometown teams and suddenly, the parent club decides it's time to move. What about the fans? 8560

Calgary Flames Primary Farm Teams

1980-1981 - Birmingham Bulls CHL

1981-1982 - Oklahoma City Stars CHL

1982-1984 - Colorado Flames CHL

1984-1987 - Moncton Golden Flames AHL

1987-1993 - Salt Lake Golden Eagles IHL

1993-2003 - Saint John Flames AHL

2003-2005 - Lowell Lock Monsters AHL

2005-2007 - Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights AHL

2007-2009 - Quad City Flames AHL

2009-2014 - Abbotsford Heat AHL

2014-???? - Adirondack Flames AHL

I know part of it is also travel to and from the big club being a main concern. You ideally want the prospects close enough that if you call them up or send them down it isn't a full day gone (such as when Addy was Philly's farm team, call ups could be in Philly by the afternoon and ready for an afternoon skate or evening game, while Calgary, Addy pretty much takes it out until the next day unless we are on a road trip in the area). Obviously money is a concern, it is a business still, and with slimmer profit margins (upside is unless it is an AHL contract only, I don't believe they handle the payroll for guys on the 50 man roster). If you notice, cities like Addy/Glens Falls, OKC, Hershey have traditionally been strong enough business wise to consistantly have a team. Lowell lost the team in 2010 (so 1998-2010) because the new ownership of their arena wouldn't renew the lease for the team. Sometimes it isn't even the Big Team not trying to keep a team there but a lot of those arena's aren't owned by the teams and the owners don't renew the lease as well (again, business reasons, this time not in the teams favour).

Though I will give you this, we do not have a good track record of staying in a city for long (Saint John Flames was pretty good though)

I know part of it is also travel to and from the big club being a main concern. You ideally want the prospects close enough that if you call them up or send them down it isn't a full day gone (such as when Addy was Philly's farm team, call ups could be in Philly by the afternoon and ready for an afternoon skate or evening game, while Calgary, Addy pretty much takes it out until the next day unless we are on a road trip in the area). Obviously money is a concern, it is a business still, and with slimmer profit margins (upside is unless it is an AHL contract only, I don't believe they handle the payroll for guys on the 50 man roster). If you notice, cities like Addy/Glens Falls, OKC, Hershey have traditionally been strong enough business wise to consistantly have a team. Lowell lost the team in 2010 (so 1998-2010) because the new ownership of their arena wouldn't renew the lease for the team. Sometimes it isn't even the Big Team not trying to keep a team there but a lot of those arena's aren't owned by the teams and the owners don't renew the lease as well (again, business reasons, this time not in the teams favour).

Though I will give you this, we do not have a good track record of staying in a city for long (Saint John Flames was pretty good though)

It must be difficult balancing among several competing interests re the farm team. I had thought that the cost of travel and lost practice days was the main reason for moving to NY. Sure access to the Flames isn't the greatest, although its only a 3hr drive to Montreal and then a direct flight, so its not terrible. There are so many AHL teams close to Glens Falls that that location makes a lot of sense, both from travel and practice terms. However if enough of the western teams put teams fairly close together that could also work, though I doubt as well as their current location. Glens Falls is a good central location and access to Calgary isn't terrible. The Flames have to make up their mind what is most important. Hey, if team access is it put them in Calgary, say at the Corral so it doesn't interfere with the Flames or Hitmen. Don't expect to ever see that, though it would be sweet from a fan's perspective.

Adirondack Flames (18-10-1-0) vs Rochester Americans (10-17-1-0) @ 05:05 PM MST [Fri, Dec 19, 2014]

Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Active twitter feed primarily for home games (Post Star AHL)

End of the road trip for the Flames going for their 6th consecutive win and a perfect 4/4 away from Glens Falls.

Hopefully the Flame's players won't be distracted by the ugly sweater shirts the Amerk fans are wearing.

With the right results tonight, we could be looking at a 1st place showdown with the Utica Comets tomorrow night.

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ AMERICANS - adirondackflames.com
AMERKS LOOK TO PUT A STOP TO THE RED-HOT ADIRONDACK FLAMES TONIGHT - amerks.com

CHRONICLE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: JONI ORTIO - adirondackflames.com
Stick taping a blend of preference, habit - poststar.com

AMERKS SIGN DEFENSEMAN MATT PELECH TO PTO [2014-12-16] - amerks.com

One of Calgary's 1st rounders (2005 - 26th) that never quite worked out here or in San Jose is still out there. 8725

Adirondack Flames (18-10-1-1) 2 vs Rochester Americans 3 (11-17-1-0)

1. ADK Wolf, (4) (Ferland, Yonkman), 0:36

1. RCH Larsson, (8) (Irwin), 13:17

1. ADK Hathaway, (7) (Ramage, Stevenson), 18:36

2. RCH Schaller, (7) , 17:44 (PS)

Shootout (7 Rounds):
ADK - Tousignant X - Baertschi X - Poirier X - Hanowski X - Reinhart X - Wolf X - Vause X
RCH - Varone X - Armia X - Larsson - Grigorenko X - Schaller X - Ruhwedel X - Dalpe Goal

Boxscore

A heartbreaking 7th round SO loss ends the win streaks.

Brad Thiessen facing a shot barrage & saving 47/49 & 6/7 in the SO. Our goaltending tandem is truly great.

Combined with a Utica Comets win against the Texas Stars, tomorrow's 1st place battle is voided.

However with a win against the Comets tomorrow night, we can take 1st place on the Boxing Day rematch.

FLAMES DROP 3-2 SHOOTOUT DECISION IN ROCHESTER - adirondackflames.com

AMERKS GET PAST FLAMES WITH 3-2 SHOOTOUT WIN - amerks.com

Flames lose in seventh round of shootout - poststar.com

Revisiting the possibility of the Oiler's AHL affiliates possible move to Bakersfield CA, it looks like the proverbial can of worms has been opened regarding the Flames.

It looks like immediate answers will not be forthcoming until the end of January.
What will this mean for the Adirondack Flames & several other AHL clubs?

With no OKC Barons next year, Oilers will likely move AHL team to Bakersfield - edmontonsun.com
AHL landscape could be changing - poststar.com

Possible hockey upgrade in Stockton's future - recordnet.com

To move up to the AHL for the 2015-16 season, the ECHL franchises would have to file transfer papers with the league in early January before the annual mid-season meetings on Jan. 20-21 in Orlando, Florida.