The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CastleMania

Mayweather vs Pacquiao

So there it is. Tonight's one of the biggest nights in boxing in years.

Floyd "Money" Mayweather (47-0-0) vs Manny Pacquiao (57-5-2)

Fight time: 9:00 PM PST / 10:00 PM MST

This fight has been in the making for years. Pacquiao has tried to get Mayweather to agree to this match for almost a decade, and finally, it's happening. What are everyone's thoughts on who is going to win?

My money is on Pacquiao. He wants it way more than Mayweather, and quite frankly, this is the first real opponent Mayweather has fought in years. 

Should have taken place 10 years ago.

Pacquiao turned down 20 million to fight him in 2012. He wanted a 50/50 split. With the revenue from this fight looking like more than 100 million I guess he was probably right.

They are both getting old(37 + 38 I think) so this won't be much of a fight, but maybe Manny can land a wild Hail Mary but don't hold your breath.

There likely won't be enough fight to call for a rematch they will both be in their 40's by then.

I am hoping for Pacquiao but I wouldn't put money on it.

Wow. Manny controlled the fight and took it to Mayweather. None of the judges gave him credit or rounds for it.

Sigh.. friggin boxing...

I dunno DD, I think you got your homer glasses on. 

I was all for Pacquiao. I even lost $100 on this fight. But Pacquiao didn't win.

Mayweather controlled the pace of the fight and tagged Pacquiao way more. The fact that they threw roughly the same number of punches is kind of embarrassing for Pacquiao. Everyone knew coming in that to beat Mayweather, Pacquiao would have to come out aggressive early in the match. He simply never did. 

If you've watched any other Mayweather fights, you'll know that this was a textbook Mayweather fight. He tagged Pacquiao, took his points, and then backed out. This guy and his style of fighting has single-handedly destroyed boxing over the past decade (well that, and the fact that there have been no real heavyweight contenders). 

In order to win this, Pacquiao need to dominate from start to finish, and he didn't. In fact, he only had a few moments where it seemed like he was controlling the pace. It's a sad end to an otherwise great career. This is a fight that should have happened years ago and never did, and it's turned out perfectly for Mayweather (and Pacquiao, who took home a massive purse as well).

I'm most disappointed with the fact that neither fighter even looked like they had been in a fight when the final bell rang.

This may have been the most overhyped sporting event of all time.

I didn't expect him to win but the scores were way to far apart. He was stalking Mayweather all night. He was the aggressor and landing a lot of punches. This score should have been much much closer

Wow. Manny controlled the fight and took it to Mayweather. None of the judges gave him credit or rounds for it.

Sigh.. friggin boxing...

Honestly I disagree.

Mayweather was absolutely masterful in counterpunching. Pacquiao may have been more aggressive, but he really wasn't able to mve inside and land anything.

He only had maybe 3 or 4 spots where he was able to penetrate Floyd's defenses and land anything. In his few brief flurries he didn't land anything significant.

Floyd kept him outside for the most part and kept landing counterpunches.

This fight went much as I expected. Floyd's fights are generally boring, but he controls the pace and limits what his opponents can do, and then scores on the counter.

I don't think the fight was close. I don't agree he landed much of significance.

Neither man is anywhere near their prime years. Both are too old and should be retired. There's no sting left in punches when guys get to be nearing 40, their hands are too slow compared to what they once were. Great event for the sweet science.

Mayweather completed dominated the fight. he threw more punches, he landed more punches, he controlled the pace of the fight for the most part and he acutally landed more power punches then Pacquiao as well. The problem with Pacquiao was all those combos you say that looked really good live, all missed. You can't, nor shouldn't', get credit in boxing for punches that  don't land. So while I agree that Pacquios was more the aggressor that's not a reason to give him extra points because his aggressiveness got him nowhere.

It really as not a close fight at all It was close through maybe 5 or 6 rounds and then Mayweather completely took over. Its really too bad this didnt' take place 4 or 5 years ago because I think at that point Pacquiao may have stood a chance. At this point in their careers, he stood no chance of beating Mayweather IMO.

It was an Exhibition match and both men hugged it out unscathed and $300 million dollars richer between them. (Mayweather $180 and Pacquiao $120.)  Absolutely boring.

Most overhyped fight in all history.